PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin in bind over Big Ben's ankle injury

stillers4me
12-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Mike Tomlin has another one of those decisions that fall only in the lap of a head coach -- whether to play quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Monday night in San Francisco.

Roethlisberger said he will do everything he can to play and, indeed, his left ankle temporarily was put in a cast Thursday. The cast was then removed, and it will be used as a mold for a New Jersey company to make a plastic brace.

He would wear the brace in practice and, the Steelers hope, in the game against the 49ers.
Tomlin's decision is threefold: a. Will Roethlisberger be able to perform well enough to help his team? b. Can he move on his feet well enough to protect himself by warding off a potential killer hit? c. Does he risk making the injury worse by playing?...................

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11350/1197215-66-0.stm

Count Steeler
12-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Tomlin is privy to examining Ben himself. If the ankle looks in bad shape, start Batch/Dixon and try to manage the game and keep the 49ers bottled up. Their offense is not that powerful. If by chance we get a KO return, punt return or pick six, Ben can probably just rest the night.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2011, 06:25 AM
This is EXACTLY how I feel as well.

Butch
12-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Would rather lose the game than the QB.

43Hitman
12-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Chris Hoke had surgery on his neck Wednesday and spent some time Thursday visiting the Steelers locker room.
Of course, he can not play, but Casey Hampton wants him next to him at their remaining games.
Hoke watches a ton of video on opponents. Hampton admits to watching very little.
"I don't really watch film," Hampton said. "I'm not a big film guy. Hey, man, you just got to whup the guy in front of you; doesn't matter what else you do, know what I mean?"
As for Hoke watching all that video, Hampton said, "That's how Hokey's wired. That's his thing to get himself going. Hokey's like a coach on the field. He's got to come to the game, he's got to, or I'll be lost."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11350/1197215-66-0.stm#ixzz1ghaLGC00

I found Big Snacks statement both funny and disturbing.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2011, 08:05 AM
This is why i LOVE Hoke. He is a friggin backup and he works his ass off and studies tape as much as anyone else on the team.

Perhaps THIS explains why their is never an apparent drop off when Hoke starts when All Pro Hampton can't....

Would love to have you back Hokey...you are truly an inspiration....

XxKnightxX
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Would rather lose the game than the QB.

Just the thought of Sopoaga, Justin Smith who gave us nightmares in Cincy, Mcdonald and Bowman and Brooks doesnt add up . And lets be real you bet your ass theyre going to take shots at him since his little whiny bro would say so. But i always say, the Ravens lose SNF. He will play.

Count Steeler
12-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Watch out for the cut blocks, D line.

Jim, the pass was dropped in the end zone. You did not beat the Steelers. You came close, but you lost and you will lose again.

BigNastyDefense
12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
If the Ravens lose the game on Sunday night, they will be starting Ben on Monday so the Steelers can try to take the division lead and get a top two seeding in the playoffs.

Ben gives this team the best chance to win. If Tomlin felt Ben could injure himself worse, he would have never been put back in the Browns game. If Ben says he can go, he will start on Monday. If he's ineffective or taking too many hits, he will be pulled. I expect all three QB's to dress for this game.

Polamalu Princess
12-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Ben will play IMHO.

zulater
12-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't care if the Ravens win or lose, if not playing will make Ben more healthy for the playoffs I sit him. I think you have a much better chance of winning 4 playoff games with Ben around 90% or better, than winning 3 with him around 60%. It's as simple as that. And sorry I think resting Ben for at least the next two games is the only chance he has of being relatively healthy for the playoffs.

Craic
12-17-2011, 12:58 AM
I don't care if the Ravens win or lose, if not playing will make Ben more healthy for the playoffs I sit him. I think you have a much better chance of winning 4 playoff games with Ben around 90% or better, than winning 3 with him around 60%. It's as simple as that. And sorry I think resting Ben for at least the next two games is the only chance he has of being relatively healthy for the playoffs.

I would change that to, "I don't care if the Ravens win or lose, if we have a playoff spot locked up,​ and if playing. . . . ."

Steeldude
12-17-2011, 05:00 AM
arians will be forced to use shorter passing routes due to BR's injury. this could be a blessing in disguise.

Steeldude
12-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Hoke watches a ton of video on opponents. Hampton admits to watching very little.
"I don't really watch film," Hampton said. "I'm not a big film guy. Hey, man, you just got to whup the guy in front of you; doesn't matter what else you do, know what I mean?"

that pretty much explains why hampton is nothing more than a fat NT the last 3 or so years. hoke should have been starting

BlacknGoldBabe
12-17-2011, 05:15 AM
that pretty much explains why hampton is nothing more than a fat NT the last 3 or so years. hoke should have been starting

Nothing like soaking up your pay check instead of earning it.

HometownGal
12-17-2011, 05:32 AM
arians will be forced to use shorter passing routes due to BR's injury. this could be a blessing in disguise.

Unfortunately with that idea, other than Ben, we don't have a backup QB who can hit the broad side of a barn with either a shortee or a longee. :heh:

zulater
12-17-2011, 06:13 AM
I would change that to, "I don't care if the Ravens win or lose, if we have a playoff spot locked up,​ and if playing. . . . ."

If you can't beat the Rams at home on Christmas Eve without Ben, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. 11 wins is guaranteed in, no ifs and or buts about it.

To me it all comes down to this. I truly believe if the Steelers are relatively healthy they are the best team in the AFC. I'm not really worried about the additional game or having to play on the road. As evidenced by 3 of the most recent Super Bowl champions ( 05 Steelers, 07 Giants, 10 Packers) the Wildcard route to the Super Bowl is far from insurmountable.

Steeldude
12-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Unfortunately with that idea, other than Ben, we don't have a backup QB who can hit the broad side of a barn with either a shortee or a longee. :heh:

i am hoping batch has the game of his life