PDA

View Full Version : JaMarcus Russell arrested for possession of controlled substance

venom
07-05-2010, 05:13 PM
MOBILE, Ala. -- Former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell was arrested today for possession of a controlled substance, according to the Mobile County Sheriff's Office.

The substance was codeine syrup, spokeswoman Lori Myles said.

Myles said Russell was arrested at his home early this afternoon during an undercover investigation. He was booked into Mobile Metro Jail at 4:22 p.m. Russell was released minutes later after making $2,500 bail, according to online records.

Russell is scheduled to appear in court on July 20. A bond hearing is set for July 7.

Russell played high school football at Williamson High School in Mobile. He played quarterback for LSU from 2003 to 2006 and was the No. 1 draft pick for the Raiders in 2007.

Russell went 7-18 as a starting QB. The Raiders released Russell last May

SteelCityMom
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Seriously? That must have been one hell of a cough for an undercover investigation into Codeine syrup possession. I didn't even know they investigated that shit, let alone undercover. I can only imagine what dramatics the UO had to go through to find out about his stash.

beSteelmyheart
07-05-2010, 05:23 PM
The substance was codeine syrup, spokeswoman Lori Myles said.
You have GOT to be kidding me.
Gee, Mobile PD, how'd that big undercover operation work out for ya??
"By Golly gee, we got us a criminal in poe-ZESHUN of a whole By God bottle of seerup, how 'bout that?"
Venom, do you have a link, I'd like to read this article & find out more about the mental giant in charge of this one. They must have had it out for the guy.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Wait?? What?? Cough syrup.. I never knew... lol

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/jamarcus_russell_arrested.html

steeldevil
07-05-2010, 05:39 PM
What? WOW

silver & black
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
HA HA! It was well known that JaRobitusin was hooked on sizzurp. Looks like Al will get his 9.9 million back after all. What a f***ing loser... and I'm lovin' it!

Hindes204
07-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Sippin on some sizzurp!!

This stuff is actuall very popular in the south, especially with the rap industry down there...a few rappers have od'd on that stuff

HometownGal
07-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I may as well turn my damned self in to the PoPo. With my sinuses (what's left of 'em) as bad as they are - especially this time of year with all of my allergies, I carry cough syrup with codeine in my purse and use it regularly.

What a freakin' JOKE. What's next - bustin' players for carrying dental floss? Y'know, it can be used as a deadly weapon to strangle a fly. :rolleyes:

st33lersguy
07-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow this has become a comedy of errors

silver & black
07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I may as well turn my damned self in to the PoPo. With my sinuses (what's left of 'em) as bad as they are - especially this time of year with all of my allergies, I carry cough syrup with codeine in my purse and use it regularly.

What a freakin' JOKE. What's next - bustin' players for carrying dental floss? Y'know, it can be used as a deadly weapon to strangle a fly. :rolleyes:

The difference is, you aren't an addict that mixes codine with promethazine and fuit drink... better known as sizzurp or purple drank. It has been know for quite some time that JR was/is an addict. We Raiders fans have seen this coming for a while. I'm just happy it happened when he was no longer a Raider.

BnG_Hevn
07-05-2010, 08:22 PM
How does he get the 9.9 million back?

silver & black
07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
How does he get the 9.9 million back?

Obviously, it isn't a guarantee, but this "news" can only help.

They are seeking a return of $9.55 million on the basis that the money was paid as an advance against future years of his contract.

steelpride12
07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
What a joke and waste of a player seriously.

steelerdude15
07-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Well then, I guess I have heard everything on getting arrested.

Akagi
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Tell you what, that stuff is far more insidious than vicodin or percocet. If you decide to take a vike or perk (prescription, for pain), you make the decision that you are going to be out of commission for a while. But if you have a hacking cough and get some codeine syrup, by the middle of the first bottle you kind of just carry it around and hit it when you feel the throat tickle a little. It becomes almost a "buzz maintenance" phenomenon. And you can always get at least one refill. I've had lots of surgeries in the last few years, and it's pretty easy to stop the vikes and perks; things stop hurting, and one day you just stop taking the pills. But the syrup, you've stopped coughing a couple days ago, but still have half a bottle? Might as well hit it up!

BigNastyDefense
07-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Doesn't cough syrup with codeine have to be prescribed to you by a doctor? If so, last time I checked that you have something on you that's not prescribed to you or your child, it's illegal to have and use.

SteelCityMom
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Doesn't cough syrup with codeine have to be prescribed to you by a doctor? If so, last time I checked that you have something on you that's not prescribed to you or your child, it's illegal to have and use.

Well, yeah it is....still, I've never heard of an undercover operation for cough syrup with codeine. What the hell was he doing? Manufacturing it?

Akagi
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
If I had a million dollars, I think I could hook some up without a prescription, or get a prescription; either one.

BigNastyDefense
07-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Well, yeah it is....still, I've never heard of an undercover operation for cough syrup with codeine. What the hell was he doing? Manufacturing it?

Down south a lot of people mix it with fruit and juice drinks, like you would with alcohol and they get high/drunk off of it. Codeine is a narcotic. So they were busting it like you would a cocaine or marijuana ring.

CantStop85
07-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Down south a lot of people mix it with fruit and juice drinks, like you would with alcohol and they get high/drunk off of it. Codeine is a narcotic. So they were busting it like you would a cocaine or marijuana ring.

Well...usually you would find a cough syrup with promethazine and codeine and mix it with sprite and add a few jolly ranchers...there are variations with other types of cough syrup and "mixers," but that is the most common. Very dangerous, though. Wouldn't advise it...even if you don't overdose and die on it, you still run the risk of ending up like Lil' Wayne.

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/lil-wayne.jpg

Galax Steeler
07-06-2010, 04:22 AM
What else is going to happen in the off season.

BuddhaBus
07-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Are you sure there wasn't a typographical error in that article? It seems by looking at him that he's just hooked on regular ol' fashioned MAPLE syrup. I heard Jamorca sweats butter too. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Hmmmmmmm, I wonder what the odds are he actually gets suspended in the manner that LenDale got.

Either way, this is quite the fall from grace. It's too bad. I thought he had a lot of potential to go far.

ALLD
07-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Put some tussin' on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwngS34B_Vw&feature=related

Killer
07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
(A) somebody in the Raiders organization narked on him, trying to recover some cash.

He still got a cool $35M out of them - - - liquid gold.

steelwalls
07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
This is actually not cough syrup. It's a home made mixture of liquid codeine sprite, a jolly rancher and some other flavoring. So dont be thinking this is some store bought cough medicine. Greatly impaires motor skills (which may explain his play) and highly addictive.

salamander
07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I almost feel sorry for him.

Wait, nevermind. No I don't.

steelpride12
07-06-2010, 10:58 PM
It does suck in a way towards the NFL. I hate to say it, but this league and players are getting out of control and this off season has been the worse SO FAR in the last few. Were not even half way through August and the list of infractions are growing, some serious.