PDA

View Full Version : Week 14 Thoughts - Browns vs Steelers

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Finally catching back up. Crazy game, don't know if I've ever ridden the emotional rollar coaster like that in a 14-3 victory. Game we needed to have and we got it. That's what good teams do, even if it isn't pretty.

First Half

- Kickoffs: 4.36 (-2), 4.02 (-8, TB), 4.20 (-3)

- Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith "up" for the first time this year and was starting at L1 (left wedgebuster). Made the tackle on the opening kickoff.

- Colt McCoy played really well for Cleveland on the first drive. It was more good offense on their part than poor defense on ours. Pass to Cribbs down the seam was a prime example of that. McCoy looks to his right off the snap and moves the single high safety, Clark. Comes back to his left and attacks the seam to Cribbs, giving him just enough time/room to make the catch before Clark makes the tackle. Picture of McCoy looking right off the snap. The feet you see to the left of the picture is Clark following the eyes of McCoy.

http://i43.tinypic.com/5ppe8n.png

- Really great surge by Hampton/McClendon on 3rd and goal stop of Hillis. Foote cleaned it up as he did a few weeks ago against Baltimore.

- Starting o-line: Starks, Legursky, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

- Pouncey looked gimpy from the get-go. Was trying to work out his knee/ankle from the beginning. Really think he hurt it against Cincy, as I alluded to in last week's post.

- Keisel had great contain on an end around by Cribbs, forcing him inside for a marginal gain.

- Worils actually lined up with both hands down once. Looked like a Wide 9 alignment for him. What do they call that, crab stance? Anyone remember? Anyway, picture of it. Worilds on strongside.

http://i40.tinypic.com/hss7z6.png

- Rare instance where Mendenhall seems scared to pass block and turns his body to block Sheard who beat Gilbert to the inside. Unless that is taught in the way J.Scott was taught to throw his butt into Freeney on inside spins. Remember Mendy getting a lot of flack, myself included, for a similar attempt to block vs Washington his rookie or second year.

- Ben with another olay of a LB as he did against KC.

- Troy's INT. All about Troy's intelligence and reading the play. A deep crossing route to Moore they ran successfully to the other side on the first drive. Troy saw it the second time around and was able to jump it for the pick.

- Too bad we had so many red zone turnovers. So annoying, killed us.

- Foote got some snaps for Farrior in the 2nd quarter.

- Allow 3rd and 20 draw to go for a first down. Ugh!

- Saw Troy and Harrison on punt return unit. Didn't know they did that.

- Morty Ivy had a big tackle on a punt to stop what could have been a really long Jordan Norwood return.

Second Half

- Still can't believe Ben returned to the game. Wow!

- Tried a reverse to Brown from Moore on opening kickoff of the 2nd half. Went nowhere; couldn't rekindle fire we had on a 40 yard return a few weeks ago.

- 2nd half o-line. Starks, Kemoeatu, Legursky, Foster, Gilbert

- Good vision by Mendenhall with cutback on a trap block on our first series. LBs all got sucked to our right, reading the key of the pullling LG. Mendy smartly cuts back.

http://i43.tinypic.com/dzv8nl.png

- Ankle may hurt but you can manage as long as your eyes are intact. Check out his 22 yard completion to Cotchery. Watch him look at Heath on the curl, move the LBs, and then turn back to Cotch coming across the field for an easy pitch and catch.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mgs01i.png

LBs flow to the left, Cotchery running to the right. Awesome job by Ben to manipulate the defense.

- Kemoeatu again opening up his hips, letting the DT have a clean path to the QB.

http://i44.tinypic.com/j9asu0.png

Probably should've waited a split second later so you can see it better but it happens. Ben gets knocked down because of it. About the only time he was touched post injury and it's because of Kemoeatu. The stupid penalties haven't been my biggest gripe this season (though a gripe). It's the awful pass protection.

- Dumb play by Farrior to nudge McCoy out of bounds, getting a personal foul.

- Running off LG like we did so much was helped by the Browns' over shift where the NT would slide down and be in the A gap. Makes it easy to seal him off and create the cutback lanes.

- Brown's leaping 3rd and 20 catch for a first down. On an in cut, glad to see hit vs Cincy didn't spook him.

- Hated Arians' 4th down call on the goalline. The same exact play as the one on first down. Normally that wouldn't be terrible since the goalline runs aren't going to vary too much (typically) but he had Heath motion again, letting the Browns time the snap.

- I don't know how Kemoeatu managed to hold on a 3rd and 1 FB plunge. *Facepalm*

- Say it with me everybody. Big Play Willie Gay! :chuckle:

- Nice to see the smashmouth football back. Man blocking and trap plays, very old school. Not that I'm in the "I hate the pass camp" but it's nice knowing we can utilize it if need be in the future.

- The Browns' DC didn't do his homework on the Brown TD. Look at these two plays. One is from the KC game, the other the TD to Brown. Both backshoulder throws.

http://i40.tinypic.com/j0y7tz.png

http://i40.tinypic.com/69f7fr.png

Identical situations. Late in 4th quarter, 2nd and long.

Identical formations. Shotgun, back right, Z by himself tot he right, two on the left. Motion X inside slot WR to left.

Identical defenses. Single high coverage, on coverage from CB. Perfect for back shoulder.

Definitely something to look for in future games. Can probably win a few bar bets with that.

- 12 penalties for us in the game. Have to cut that down.

- Gilbert bounced back in the second half. Tomlin challenged him to perform well against Sheard.

Sacks

- 1st and 10, 6:09 left in 2nd. 12 personnel. This has to hurt more for Ben than for me to write, the play he got hurt. Playaction. Browns bring 5. Good coverage downfield, wanted to take a shot deep. Heath ran into o-lineman and stumbled but at same time, Ben doesn't seem to look for checkdown. Half coverage, half on Ben.

- 3rd and 3, 3:14 left in 2nd. Shotgun, 11. Browns bring 5. Jackson left one-on-one with Redman and plows through. But I pin this on Gilbert who should've taken the inside blitzer, that's what you're taught. And Jackson blitzed right off the snap, too. Not like he waited and Gilbert went with the guy he knew was blitzing.

Sack Counter (Game)

Marcus Gilbert: 1
Ben Roethlisberger: .5
Good Coverage: .5

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 7.5
Max Starks: 4.5
Marcus Gilbert: 4
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 4
Chris Kemoeatu: 3
Ramon Foster: 3
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Maurkice Pouncey: 1
Doug Legursky: 1
Willie Colon: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Documentation

FB: 15
Pony: 1
Empty: 4

Austin87
12-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Good stuff Chidi.

Glad to see guys like Cromartie-Smith and Mortty Ivy making plays on special teams. These guys played very well in the preseason and If I'm not mistaken they only made the practice squad. Good to see them on the active roster making plays.

Count Steeler
12-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Appreciate the work Chidi.

It is nice to see Cro-Smith and Ivy up. I still think that Donovan kid that played in the secondary deserved at least a practice squad spot. Don't know if anyone else picked him up.