PDA

View Full Version : Turner Gill Takes HC Position at Liberty University; potential move to FBS

steelpinstripe87
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N0FWigr4i3s#!

Liberty is currently part of the Big South in the FCS. They are going to do a feasibility study on moving to the FBS, but I'm wondering...what do you guys think? I remember when Buffalo moved into the FBS (also under Gill), and for awhile they just floundered. They were MAC champions one year, making it to the International Bowl, but after that...not so good again. Liberty's just getting on their feet. Danny Rocco took them to the Big South championship this year for the first time...is it advisable for them to even contemplate a move like this?

XxKnightxX
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
isnt that the school where Samkon Gado got his 15 carries of fame?

steelpinstripe87
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Actually, it was 273, but yes. :wink02:

Godfather
01-11-2012, 08:17 PM
It's better to stay FBS. Most of the schools that move up just take on extra expenses to end up as a bottom feeder.

steelpinstripe87
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
It's better to stay FBS. Most of the schools that move up just take on extra expenses to end up as a bottom feeder.

This exactly. It was my first thought when I first saw this story break. I did grad work at the University at Buffalo; I had friends on the football team, but even before I had those friends, I was aware of UB's struggles. They had moved up from FCS a couple of years before (and coincidentally, Gill was the head coach). And boy did they struggle. I think when I first got there, they had had a total of 7 wins in the prior three seasons. They were playing teams like Auburn and Penn State, and getting absolutely flattened. Not because the team itself wasn't any good. They were good...just way out of their league. They had a couple of good seasons (co-MAC champions one year and then MAC champs outright the year after that), and now they're struggling again, at least last I heard. This would be such a bad move for Liberty. They're not a big school; add to that the fact the school itself has only been around since 1971, with the football team coming around in 1973. So it's just...I've got the feeling that this is a bad move.

Also - is it just me or does it seem like it's more about the money than the game in the FBS? They have sponsors in the FCS, but in the FBS, they give the players gifts for going to the bowl games. The FBS has big time sponsors like FedEx and other companies. I think McDonalds is one of Liberty's sponsors, but that's the only big one for them.

XxKnightxX
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
This exactly. It was my first thought when I first saw this story break. I did grad work at the University at Buffalo; I had friends on the football team, but even before I had those friends, I was aware of UB's struggles. They had moved up from FCS a couple of years before (and coincidentally, Gill was the head coach). And boy did they struggle. I think when I first got there, they had had a total of 7 wins in the prior three seasons. They were playing teams like Auburn and Penn State, and getting absolutely flattened. Not because the team itself wasn't any good. They were good...just way out of their league. They had a couple of good seasons (co-MAC champions one year and then MAC champs outright the year after that), and now they're struggling again, at least last I heard. This would be such a bad move for Liberty. They're not a big school; add to that the fact the school itself has only been around since 1971, with the football team coming around in 1973. So it's just...I've got the feeling that this is a bad move.

Also - is it just me or does it seem like it's more about the money than the game in the FBS? They have sponsors in the FCS, but in the FBS, they give the players gifts for going to the bowl games. The FBS has big time sponsors like FedEx and other companies. I think McDonalds is one of Liberty's sponsors, but that's the only big one for them.

Well at least well know where Big Snacks kids will be attending in college lol.