PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger says ankle better

polamalubeast
12-15-2011, 02:00 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says his sprained left ankle feels better but he's still not certain when he'll return to practice.

Roethlisberger planned to spend most of Thursday in treatment hoping he sees enough improvement over the next two days to practice sometime before the Steelers play at San Francisco on Monday night.

The quarterback suffered the sprain in the second quarter of last week's 14-3 win over Cleveland. He missed two series but played the entire second half. He said Thursday he's not quite sure how he did it, giving most of the credit for his performance to adrenaline.

Roethlisberger has been wearing a walking boot for the last week. He can take it off for short periods but says doctors have advised him to avoid certain movements.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7356549/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-improves-not-practicing

Animal Mother
12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
My guess is he'll play even if they have to duct tape a 2x4 to the side of his leg

86WARD
12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Funny...I've been reading the opposite...

O'Malley
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
If the Rats win Sunday he won't see the field...

O'Malley
12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I also think the Rats win Woodley, Pouncey, Troy, Kiesel,Hampton, Worilds, Wallace, Ward, Mendenhall, Starks don't see the field either... Hand it off three times and punt... Let em march down the field and score type of game.. All third stringers playing the whole game give em a real show on Monday Night. Then win the Rams and Browns games and go in as a wild card.

mortgageman
12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I am starting to think he will not be able to go on Monday. I haven't seen a player come back from a high ankle sprain in 2 weeks, let alone 11 days. I don't think the result of the Baltimore game will make a difference as to whether he plays or not.

Hindes204
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Why? Balt still has two divisional games left, and given their inconsistency with bad teams this year, they could easily drop one of those games. If we win out, we take the division at 13-3 if Balt drops one of those games. Why in the world would you give up and just limp into the playoffs.

Animal Mother
12-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Tomlin would said he doesn't subscribe to that belief, that the players who can play will play.

suitanim
12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
The Rats losing doesn't help us at all if we lose to the 49ers.

Animal Mother
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Funny...I've been reading the opposite...

I haven't read one article that quotes Ben saying he doesn't think he'll play Monday. Tomlin said he was day-to-day. Ben said he could walk on it, it feels better, but they're resting it today. So what are you reading?

86WARD
12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't think you'll ever read an article that says he doesn't think he can play...lol.

Dec. 15, 2011 2:12 p.m. - by Chuck Finder - Roethlisberger to try a plastic brace (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16468837)
Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/493043/ben-roethlisberger) shed the protective boot on his high ankle sprain, but one painful, weak misstep “almost put me to the ground,” he said Thursday afternoon. He has been fitted for a plastic brace that would immobilize his left ankle. At least it no longer looks like “one big mass of fluid.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16468837

tube517
12-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Tomlin would said he doesn't subscribe to that Hocus Pocus, that the players who can play will play.

Fixed it for ya. :thumbsup:

mortgageman
12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
If there were examples in the past of a player coming back within 2 weeks from a high ankle sprain, I would feel better. But I dont remember anyone coming back that quickly. He obviously is going to say he'll probably play, but that doesn't mean much.

suitanim
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Brett Favre had miraculous recovery attributes, like freakish stuff. Maybe Ben does too?

mortgageman
12-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, they were called pain killers...

86WARD
12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
See Sam Bradford...lol.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Beat me to it. :chuckle:

suitanim
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM

No, he just healed faster than other people. He made 322 consecutive starts, which is still, and may always be, a record (including playoffs). The guy was a freak of nature...Holmgren once said that he had never seen anything like it. That the guy would have an injury that most people would need 3 weeks to heal from, and Favre would be 100% in three DAYS.

O'Malley
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
If the Rats lose he will play and play well... Not like he has to run routes...

smokin3000gt
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Why? Balt still has two divisional games left, and given their inconsistency with bad teams this year, they could easily drop one of those games. If we win out, we take the division at 13-3 if Balt drops one of those games. Why in the world would you give up and just limp into the playoffs.

I guess the question is limp into the playoffs or limp through the play offs? Personally I hope they are smart enough to sit Ben if his ankle isn't ready. As much as I hate playing a tough team especially on the way to the play offs, I would hate to see someone roll up on his ankle and fuck it up worse.

HometownGal
12-15-2011, 05:45 PM
The late Steve McNair was one of the toughest SOB's I've ever seen on a football field in the 40+ years I've been a fan and it was almost miraculous to see some of the injuries this guy dealt with and still played. Like McNair, Ben is one tough hombre and if he feels he can play without doing further damage, expect to see him out there on Monday night. He's too much of a competitive warrior to watch his unit from the sidelines and especially with Botch botching things up. :horror:

polamalubeast
12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
The late Steve McNair was one of the toughest SOB's I've ever seen on a football field in the 40+ years I've been a fan and it was almost miraculous to see some of the injuries this guy dealt with and still played. Like McNair, Ben is one tough hombre and if he feels he can play without doing further damage, expect to see him out there on Monday night. He's too much of a competitive warrior to watch his unit from the sidelines and especially with Botch botching things up. :horror:

Brett Favre deserves to be in this category too!

Edman
12-15-2011, 05:55 PM
There are certain individuals who have an uncanny level of toughness and tolerance. Steve McNair and (begrudgingly) Brett Favre among them. One can hope Ben is like them.

polamalubeast
12-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Steelers OC Bruce Arians conceded that Ben Roethlisberger (ankle) would have "no chance" to play if the 49ers game was on Thursday.

"But I've seen him recover in the past," said Arians. "We hope that he makes that kind of progress in the next three or four days. Adrenaline does funny things sometimes." Big Ben moved out of his walking boot "just for stretches at a time" Thursday, and he's been fitted for a new type of plastic ankle brace. Arians suspects the Steelers may not know Roethlisberger's status until pregame warmups Monday night.

steelreserve
12-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Something tells me that if he can't practice and Batch gets the start ... after about three or four three-and-outs in a row, that "can't practice, can't play" thing goes right out the window.

polamalubeast
12-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Steelers list Roethlisberger as limited in practice

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 16, 2011
Last updated: 3:07 pm

The Steelers listed Ben Roethlisberger as a limited participant in practice today, leaving his status for Monday night's game in San Francisco in question.

Roethlisberger, who is nursing a high-ankle sprain, did not practice Thursday. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said Roethlisberger has to practice at least once in a limited capacity if he is to play against the 49ers in a meeting of 10-3 teams.

The Steelers will hold their final practice of the week tomorrow. Roethlisberger, who said yesterday that he has been getting "non-stop" treatment, was not in the Steelers' locker room today while it was open to the media.

Roethlisberger hurt his left ankle in a Dec. 8 game against the Browns, and he returned from the first high-ankle sprain of his career to lead the Steelers to a 14-3 win.

Center Maurkice Pouncey also suffered a high-ankle sprain against the Browns, and he didn't practice for the second day in a row. Also out today were strong safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring).

Read more: Steelers list Roethlisberger as limited in practice - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772436.html#ixzz1gjLFzm54

Crow-Magnon
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
In retrospect, do you wish Ben would have sat out the remainder of the Cleveland game, or do you think playing in the second half did no additional injury? I have to admit that I was shocked that he took the field after halftime.

Hindes204, I get your point, but I think the Ravens "inconsistent" play against sub-par opponents is over. Ask the Browns and the Colts. That is not to say that they cannot lose any of their last three games (this Sunday's contest in San Diego could be worrisome), but I think the thought that they are going to overlook one of these teams, with a possible #1 seed berth in their sights, is pretty much a non-issue. It is theirs to hold onto, or lose.

fansince'76
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
In retrospect, do you wish Ben would have sat out the remainder of the Cleveland game, or do you think playing in the second half did no additional injury? I have to admit that I was shocked that he took the field after halftime.

Hindes204, I get your point, but I think the Ravens "inconsistent" play against sub-par opponents is over. Ask the Browns and the Colts. That is not to say that they cannot lose any of their last three games (this Sunday's contest in San Diego could be worrisome), but I think the thought that they are going to overlook one of these teams, with a possible #1 seed berth in their sights, is pretty much a non-issue. It is theirs to hold onto, or lose.

I don't think it did any more harm, personally. It probably prevented it from swelling up that much quicker, if anything.

And as far as the Ravens tripping up, we can hope, can't we? :chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
12-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't think it did any more harm, personally. It probably prevented it from swelling up that much quicker, if anything.

And as far as the Ravens tripping up, we can hope, can't we? :chuckle:

Christmas is the season of hope! And if I were a Steelers fan, I'd be hoping Baltimore chokes badly in SoCal, too. Just as I am hoping for a choke in NoCal the following day!

BnG_Hevn
12-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Why is that? Would they just give up on the Rats losing another game b/c of their schedule? What if the Rats DO lose and the Steelers lose b/c of it? I say play to win until you KNOW you can get the division.

Iron Steeler
12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Momentum... is huge this time of the season. Who care what everyone else is doing... you should try to win everytime you step on the field

tube517
12-16-2011, 04:41 PM

That's why they play the games. Otherwise, it would be Pats*-Cryboys every year as the media "darlings"

SteelerEmpire
12-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Ben can still start. He'll have to work out of the SHOTGUN ONLY to pass, hand the ball off and throw the ball away instead of scrambling. This will help keep him off that ankle.

steel striker
12-16-2011, 06:31 PM
We all know that Ben is lobbying to play and, just about everyone knows Ben is driving the offense. Hopefully this custom brace that is being made will help.

Animal Mother
12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
We all know that Ben is lobbying to play and, just about everyone knows Ben is driving the offense. Hopefully this custom brace that is being made will help.

Word on the street is it's just a 2x4 and duct tape. What I heard.

SteelGhost
12-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I hate to say this, but IMHO the Rats are going to win out :pout:

Ben is the tougher QB in the league hands down, BUT if the doc says it's better to rest one more week, so be it. Then we can only :pray: that Batch/Dixon/Ward don't get destroyed by San Pancho.

Polamalu Princess
12-16-2011, 08:43 PM
He will be there and he will play. No doubt in my little mind. IMHO.

polamalubeast
12-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Steelers haven't released official practice report but Ben Roethlisberger was out there today. He didn't talk to media. Neither did Batch

https://twitter.com/#!/mikebires

polamalubeast
12-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Ben Roethlisberger officially listed as questionable ... in the NFL, that means 50/50