PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin muzzles players' response

zulater
12-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Tomlin muzzles players' response.

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The latest and heaviest punishment the NFL dropped on the Steelers provoked neither the emotion nor outrage that burst from their locker room a year ago after hefty fines were delivered.

James Harrison's one-game suspension brought more resignation than anger from his teammates, partly because coach Mike Tomlin told his players Monday to cool it when talking to the media about the topic.

In the meantime, the NFL's Ted Cottrell heard the appeal Wednesday by Harrison and his agent Bill Parise. His ruling will be made this week. Cottrell is a former coach hired to hear appeals by the league and the NFL Players Association.

Safety Troy Polamalu said his coach told the players "just to say no comment."

Polamalu's comment?

"No comment."

Many Steelers players disagreed with Harrison's punishment, and some acknowledged it might have a chilling effect on the way they play defense. Others thought it unfair that Harrison was suspended for trying to make a tackle while Oakland defensive lineman Richard Seymour was only fined $30,000 for punching Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito earlier this month, even though it was the second time he had punched another player in two seasons. Seymour punched Ben Roethlisberger last year and was fined $25,000. He was ejected on both occasions.

So repeating a mistake trying to make a tackle cost a suspension while a repeat in throwing a premeditated punch after a play -- which would get a player arrested if he had done it on the street -- drew a fine of only $5,000 more than the first time?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11349/1196963-66.stm#ixzz1gbQXdi7Y

Texasteel
12-15-2011, 06:03 AM
If Goodell were on fire, I would be glad to stomp it out. If fact I will make myself available to practice this maneuver anytime the commissioner has time.

HometownGal
12-15-2011, 06:40 AM
If Goodell were on fire, I would be glad to stomp it out. If fact I will make myself available to practice this maneuver anytime the commissioner has time.

He'd probably fine you at least a cool mil for that. :heh:

ALLD
12-15-2011, 08:51 AM
The NFL has all their talking heads on Sirius backing it up. I guess if they want a paycheck they have to say what the league wants.

suitanim
12-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Fire Goodell.

That is all...

GodfatherofSoul
12-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I've learned that if there's a story critical of the NFL don't bother with NFLRadio or the NFL network. Only a handful of guys are willing to buck the system. I listened to a funny interview with Herman Edwards where he started out regurgitating the party line, then as the interviewer pressed him he basically said it was a flaky call and punishment.

Merchant
12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I still don't get the Richard Seymour thing. Someone has to explain that one to me. How is it possible that he was only fined 30K for his SECOND punch in two seasons, while Harrison gets suspended for a ticky-tacky hit and Clark gets fined 40K.