PDA

View Full Version : League threatens to castrate Harrison and Suh for future hits.

zulater
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82506c63/article/nfl-ready-to-hand-suh-harrison-substantial-suspensions

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison could face substantial suspensions -- including playoff games -- if they repeat the transgressions that led to their recent suspensions, according to a league source.

Harrison was suspended Tuesday for Pittsburgh's game against the 49ers on Monday for a helmet-to-head hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy. NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported Harrison has requested an expedited hearing and a date has been set for his appeal on the league-issued discipline that also will cost him a game check.

The source indicated that there might not be much latitude for Suh and Harrison in the future since they've been warned and fined for previous infractions but still have pushed things to the point of suspensions. Harrison was fined six times from 2009 to '10.

"Three games, four games, five games, six games? It could happen depending on the circumstance," the source said. "They are repeat offenders, which mean suspensions are more likely."

The purpose of a severe punishment like a suspension is to get the player to change his behavior, in part because the player's absence could affect his team, the source said. A suspension also doesn't place the sole onus on the player. The coaching staff, management and even teammates therefore could be prompted to hold that player more accountable.

Pertaining to Harrison specifically, the league felt there was little choice but to suspend him because the hit on McCoy was the third consecutive time in the past 13 months he has struck a "defenseless" quarterback with the crown of his helmet. The NFL cited the hit on McCoy as the fifth "illegal" hit to a quarterback with his helmet in the past three seasons.

Harrison was fined a total of $45,000 for hits to Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and Saints QB Drew Brees in Nov. 2010. He was cited for using his helmet on the tackles, although he did not strike either quarterback in his head.

This is absurd! How can this not diminish's Harrison's ability to play the game?

zulater
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
What the fuck do they mean by "third consecutive time in the past 13 months he has struck a "defenseless" quarterback with the crown of his helmet." What exactly is consecutive here? :frusty: fucking idiot logic if I ever saw it.

Chidi you tell me, what fucking sense do you make of this bullshit?!!

fansince'76
12-13-2011, 08:20 PM
What the fuck do they mean by "third consecutive time in the past 13 months he has struck a "defenseless" quarterback with the crown of his helmet." What exactly is consecutive here? :frusty: fucking idiot logic if I ever saw it.

If Der Kommissar says they're consecutive, then dammit, they're consecutive, Zu. And as fans, we all want an 18-game schedule too. After all, Der Kommissar said so. :coffee:

Steeltreal
12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Get your #92 Jersey while hes still around and hang it up because he will be the last Hard Hitting Steeler franchise history.

Count Steeler
12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Can't imagine how bad this league is going to get. However, as long as it is making money, the owners won't blink an eye if the product on the field is a piece of shit. Nice going Rooneys, poetic justice in the most ironic sense.

salamander
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I've got nothing to say at this point. :frusty: :mad2:

Iron Steeler
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I tell you one thing
If goodell is starting this shit now with is. This is going to be a tough playoff run. But maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe this will instill this US AGAINST THE WORLD mentality that we need

SteelerEmpire
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Goodell is gonna cause these guys to contemplate a strike, law suit, etc... to change the Cracker-Jack system that has these players pinned in a corner. I'm surprised it hasn't already broke down/happened. But mark my words... it's gonna happen.

polamalubeast
12-13-2011, 10:57 PM
steelers vs the world

Chidi29
12-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Chidi you tell me, what fucking sense do you make of this bullshit?!!

Let's not get too caught up in the semantics of the language of "consecutive". I think the point is clear. Three hits in just ovr a year.

Remember that I don't agree with the suspension.

But do I want his family to die?

No. Because I'm trying to be sensible about it.

zulater
12-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Let's not get too caught up in the semantics of the language of "consecutive". I think the point is clear. Three hits in just ovr a year.

Remember that I don't agree with the suspension.

But do I want his family to die?

No. Because I'm trying to be sensible about it.

And a couple of those qb hits by their own admission weren't helmet to helmet. In fact I think this is the 2nd such occurance, and this one came with a very big grey area attached, as Colt tucked the ball and ran 5 full strides.

I mean don't you just love it, Harrison might go for four whole games the next time he hits a qb helmet to shoulder or chest. How insane is that?!

Btw Tim went a little overboard, I don't think anyone really wishes any ill on Goodell, other than his being unemployed. And maybe broke. :chuckle:

NCSteeler
12-14-2011, 12:47 AM
With McCoy on the run he could have easily blown the man's knee out, not got a penalty or suspension. I hope he considers it next time, then maybe the league will take notice. Of course the same tackling got Troy a "head injury"

tihmtahm
12-14-2011, 01:03 AM
And a couple of those qb hits by their own admission weren't helmet to helmet. In fact I think this is the 2nd such occurance, and this one came with a very big grey area attached, as Colt tucked the ball and ran 5 full strides.

I mean don't you just love it, Harrison might go for four whole games the next time he hits a qb helmet to shoulder or chest. How insane is that?!

Btw Tim went a little overboard, I don't think anyone really wishes any ill on Goodell, other than his being unemployed. And maybe broke. :chuckle:

OK maybe a little overboard... but I must admit... the image of Goodell suffering made me smile just a little bit. Realistically, he's got to go... Harrison keeps adding fuel to the fire, but it's obvious that Goodall has a wild hair up his ass for Harrison. It's also alarming that the media had a hand in being the judge and jury.

fansince'76
12-14-2011, 03:29 AM

So by that rationale, I guess London Fletcher has one "strike" against him, right? After all, he got tagged for hitting Brady in the head this past weekend. Never mind that he never came close to hitting him in the head. The refs flagged him for it, so it must've happened that way, right? The call against Harrison last year for his hit on Brees was just about as weak as the one on Fletcher. But since Brees is one of the league's marquee names and Harrison is just a dirty unrepentant thug, it only stands to reason that Harrison practically decapitated him.

How DID poor Drew survive this vicious and uncalled for dirty hit? Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvfmN50ECQs

fansince'76
12-14-2011, 03:59 AM
With McCoy on the run he could have easily blown the man's knee out, not got a penalty or suspension. I hope he considers it next time, then maybe the league will take notice.

Jackass will just fine/suspend him for that too.

BlacknGoldBabe
12-14-2011, 04:09 AM
People can vote politicians out of office. So why can't fans vote this asswipe and a half out? After all, without fans the NFL and all other professional sports venues wouldn't exist. Goodell is taking a game that's noted the world over for its style and basically gutting it.

zulater
12-14-2011, 05:21 AM
So by that rationale, I guess London Fletcher has one "strike" against him, right? After all, he got tagged for hitting Brady in the head this past weekend. Never mind that he never came close to hitting him in the head. The refs flagged him for it, so it must've happened that way, right? The call against Harrison last year for his hit on Brees was just about as weak as the one on Fletcher. But since Brees is one of the league's marquee names and Harrison is just a dirty unrepentant thug, it only stands to reason that Harrison practically decapitated him.

How DID poor Drew survive this vicious and uncalled for dirty hit? Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvfmN50ECQs

This is the real worry going forward. That sort of hit by James in the future could result in a four game suspension! This is what I mean by castrating him. Basically James is either going to have play the rest of his career on eggshells. Or the Steelers will lose a key defensive player for multiple games, every time Harrison delivers a hard hit.

Texasteel
12-14-2011, 06:19 AM

This is my biggest problem with Goodell. He seems to have NO feel for the game. He seldom is consistent with his thinking, and seems to use NO common sense. What make it worse is that the insanity seems to be spreading. That call on Harrison is a perfect example. It was not an illegal hit, or even a particularly hard one. Harrison was tripped and fell onto the QB, but in an environment of " What will the commissioner think " the flag gets thrown. I think that the officials feel they are working out of self preservation, and are making calls that they really don't believe themselves. Remember this BS call was one of the calls used to levy a suspension against James. Goodells policies are like a snowball rolling down hill, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and will eventually take out everything in front of it.

I do not want the man to die, or any harm to his family. I do not that him to loose his home and everything he owns. I just want him to go away and leave the game I love in one piece, and relatively unchanged. You can make this a safer games without killing in it Mr. Commissioner.

zulater
12-14-2011, 06:44 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell

"So Harrison suspended for ridiculous fines received for hits on Brees Campbell & Fitpatrick last yr." -- yes, a flimsy history.

tube517
12-14-2011, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLlaMY_9PM

This is the last player to be suspended for a tackle. An obviously dirty tackle. Way after the pass was thrown.

fansince'76
12-14-2011, 08:58 AM

This is the last player to be suspended for a tackle. An obviously dirty tackle. Way after the pass was thrown.

Oh yeah, no appreciable difference between that and Harrison's hit on McCoy. :rolleyes:

Too bad it happened about a decade before the Internet took off. I'm sure the NFL could have made a tidy sum selling copies of still pictures of it in their online store. Particularly since McMahon was viewed as a cocky punk in the eyes of many anyway. :coffee:

suitanim
12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the video of the Brees hit (which was, legal, clean, and exactly how the game is to be played). Goodell and the NFL citing that as "past history of flagrant fouls" is akin to arresting a guy for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family, then, in court, citing his "violent and criminal past" because he had a couple speeding tickets when he was 16, and sentencing him to 100 years.

Garbage in/Garbage out.

Fire Goodell.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I wonder if Harrison had wrapped up and tackled McCoy with his shoulder...if he would have got suspended??

steelerdude15
12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm getting sick of the NFL, it's becoming a joke.

BnG_Hevn
12-14-2011, 11:26 AM

The timing of the "tackle" is not the issue, it is the tackle itself. The pass was intercepted on many defenders (in the past) would immediately look to level the QB on an INT. Had Martin leveled McMahon from the front in the form of a "block" then I think it would have been legal.

That was just a plain cheap shot specifically meant to hurt the QB disguised as a "play after the interception".

tube517
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
The timing of the "tackle" is not the issue, it is the tackle itself. The pass was intercepted on many defenders (in the past) would immediately look to level the QB on an INT. Had Martin leveled McMahon from the front in the form of a "block" then I think it would have been legal.

That was just a plain cheap shot specifically meant to hurt the QB disguised as a "play after the interception".

Obviously a cheap shot. It's been that long since somebody was suspended for a "tackle" is my point. Harrison's was not a deliberate cheap shot.

fansince'76
12-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I wonder if Harrison had wrapped up and tackled McCoy with his shoulder...if he would have got suspended??

Like his tackle on Jason Campbell last year? No, he would've only gotten the 15-yard flag for "putting too much of his weight" into the tackle and have the incident as a black mark on his "record" as additional fuel for a future suspension, I'm sure. :coffee:

stillers4me
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Gerry Dulac@gerrydulac10m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/gerrydulac/status/147019331027468288)To be clear, Harrison gets docked 1/17th of his $1.25 million base salary, or approximately $73,500, for suspension.

NCSteeler
12-14-2011, 11:36 PM

The more I think of it, I'm not sure Harrison can physically do that. The man has no neck to speak of, in pads can he actually cock his head to the side and use a shoulder like you see safeties do?