PDA

View Full Version : Week 13 Thoughts - Bengals vs Steelers

Chidi29
12-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Nice to have that big win over at the very least, a decent opponent like Cincy.

First Half

- Kickoffs: 3.99 (-1), 4.10 (-8), 4.07 (-4), 4.38 (-7), 3.90 (OZ), 3.78 (OZ)

- Redman was back as the upback in front of Sanders as the starting KR.

- Starting o-line: Starks, Legursky, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

- Started game in Full House, LG trap.

- Little bit of a rant here, illustration of the surprise element a guy like Troy gives you even if AJ Green had a big catch on this play. Let's throw up the picture first, ignore the tellestrations.

http://i40.tinypic.com/33vm6bk.png

Troy is about 7 yards down from Clark but still a solid 12 yards away from the LOS. As a QB, it's very tough to tell what the coverage will be. Troy could come down and you get Cover 1 Man or Cover 3 or he could drop back and you could get a Cover 2 look. Troy is the wildcard. When you hear analysts say, "You have to know where Troy is at" it's being literal. He is often the key in being able to read the coverage. The same issue exists for WRs. Routes are often based on coverage and you don't know the coverage until the very last second. By that point, there is no time for pre-snap communication. It's up to everyone to understand the situation and react accordingly.

- Speaking of Troy, he lined up on Gresham on his TD that was called back on Green's offsides.

- Heyward obviously got good penetration on his blocked FG. Kudos.

- Nearly everytime we pull the RG, Foster, it's playaction.

- Have to love how quick Brown gets to top speed as shown his long catch and run late in the 1st quarter. Struggles to make a catch that is thrown a little away from him but uprights himself and picks up a good 30 yards in YAC. Very "quick to the tuck" as WRs coach Scottie Montgomery would say.

- Excellent jobs by Gilbert and especially Wes Saunders on Mendenhall's first TD. Sealed the DL/LB inside, opened up a lane for Mendy and a pulling Legursky. Picture.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11bqn13.png

- Can somebody please, please get me a .gif of Hood's sack dance with 12:50 left in 2nd quarter?

- Nice job by Sly to get his hand in and force a fumble on the kickoff.

- Reverse to Brown from Wallace went for 10.

- Had two scoring drives of three plays in 2nd quarter.

- Harrison lost contain on an end around, paid for it with a big gain.

- Brown and Allen your gunners.

- Brown capitalizing on the momentum we had with his PR for a TD.

- PR drought stat that CBS brought up, how we hadn't had one since 2006. I assume they are not counting playoffs, right? Can't forget Holmes' return against the Chargers in 2009.

Second Half

- Foster rolled his ankle attempting to pull. Replaced by Essex.

- Kapinos with 57 and 59 yard punts in this game. Nice.

- Dwyer getting a snap at RB late in the 3rd quarter.

- On Redman's big 3rd quarter run where he was stopped in the backfield and spun off for an extra 20+ yards. Check out the block by Pouncey. Great turn block on big 'ol Peko. Was one-on-one with him the entire time.

- The last TD of the game that went to Wallace on the screen. Screen to Wallace versus the near side LB blitz. Great read, YAC from Ben and Wallace. Actually had screens on both sides. Brown probably would've scored had we gone the other way but Ben correctly took the quicker screen and the one that wouldn't blindside him from the LB coming in free.

- Just a thought on this play when I saw it from the above view. Pouncey comes up limp, looks like a left ankle/knee. Doesn't return to the game. With a short week, little time to rest, he probably came into the Browns' game banged up.

- As he's done all year, much to my pleasure, Ben getting the ball out hot and reading the blitz well.

- Mundy replaced Troy in the 4th quarter.

- Good job by the defense forcing multiple checkdowns on 3rd and long all game.

- Dwyer finished the game at RB. Looks like we hurt himself on a 3rd and 11 carry, the last offensive play of the game. Foot got caught in the ground and his body was twisted. Now on IR with what I think was a stress fracture.

- Essex played pretty well coming off the bench. On the ground a little too much, but not too bad.

- Legursky still pushed around in pass protection.

Sacks

- 1st and 10, 4:06 left in 2nd. 11 personnel. Cincy rushes four. Playaction, pocket collapses. Peko drives Lergusky back, gets off and sacks Ben.

- 1st and 10, 2:29 left in 2nd. 11, shotgun. Cincy rushes 4. Starks gets beat bad on a real nice dip move by the athletic freak that is Michael Johnson. Picture of it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/11hqv6b.png

- 3rd and 7, 8:44 left in 4th. Shotgun, 11. Bengals bring 5 with Batch at QB. Pretty clean pocket but Batch flushes out to his right, nothing available, goes down. Good coverage.

Sack Counter (Game)

Doug Legursky: 1
Max Starks: 1
Coverage: 1

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 7
Max Starks: 4.5
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 3.5
Chris Kemoeatu: 3
Marcus Gilbert: 3
Ramon Foster: 3
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Maurkice Pouncey: 1
Doug Legursky: 1
Willie Colon: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Documentation

FB: 17
Pony: 0
Empty: 5

Forgot to write it down from last weeks.

FB: 7
Pony: 2
Empty: 8

Austin87
12-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Good stuff. I really enjoy reading these breakdowns.

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks Austin!

43Hitman
12-15-2011, 06:34 AM
I would have tho0ught for sure that Scott had more sacks than 1.5 after the debacle of him playing LT to start the year.

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
I would have tho0ught for sure that Scott had more sacks than 1.5 after the debacle of him playing LT to start the year.

Had Starks not been brought in and Scott sent to the bench, it probably would be.

zulater
12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
When you get around to the Browns game I think you need to make a separate post concerning the 4 down failed goal to go attempt. Basically I'd be interested to see it broke down formation wise, personell groupings (i.e. were Brown and Wallace on the field for any of those plays?) and by missed blocking assignments.

Several people have tried to make the case that the Steelers should have brought in Redman at some point for at least one carry in the sequence. Personally I thought Mendenhall was blameless. I didn't see anything resembling a hole or any sort of crease that he could have slid into.

Anyway nice breakdown of the Bengals game as usual. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2011, 09:39 AM
these are pretty awesome

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 10:32 AM
When you get around to the Browns game I think you need to make a separate post concerning the 4 down failed goal to go attempt. Basically I'd be interested to see it broke down formation wise, personell groupings (i.e. were Brown and Wallace on the field for any of those plays?) and by missed blocking assignments.

Several people have tried to make the case that the Steelers should have brought in Redman at some point for at least one carry in the sequence. Personally I thought Mendenhall was blameless. I didn't see anything resembling a hole or any sort of crease that he could have slid into.

From what I saw live, the one thing that realy irked me was Arians. Obviously, the line should get a good enough push one of those four times from one, two yards out and like Tomlin said, that's on us if we can't. And is on the line, not Arians.

But the 4th down call was awful. Not the decision to go for it, although I disagreed with it, but the play itself. It was the same as the 2nd down run. Run the play as soon as Heath motions on the line from being where the "X" usually is. Browns were able to time it perfectly and the key to stopping those plays is getting a good initial surge. Do that and you're solid, just as we did on our 3rd and goal stop of Hillis on the Browns first drive.

I'll look at everything else again later today when I finish the game.

suitanim
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm starting to see a trend here...for a team that "Never uses a FB because Bruce Arians is retarded", we, um..............sure seem to use a FB a lot.

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm starting to see a trend here...for a team that "Never uses a FB because Bruce Arians is retarded", we, um..............sure seem to use a FB a lot.

We did it 104 times from when I started to count last year (couple weeks into the year).

One of the many misconceptions about the Bruce Arians offense.

And I said it last year and I'll say it again. David Johnson is a great lead blocker. Mike Mayock gave him a lot of love Thursday, much to my happiness.

suitanim
12-15-2011, 11:10 AM
He's huge....what is he, 270?

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
He's huge....what is he, 270?

Listed at 260 so yeah, 270 sounds about right.

Chidi29
12-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Breakdown of all four plays.

1. 22 personnel. Unbalanced line, added Essex into the game next to Gilbert. Heath splout outside the numbers as the "X" receiver. Motions inside for a crackback and we snap it the second he next to the TE. Run over LG. Gocong whacks Mendenhall. RG/RT may have been responsible to get the block on him but it's tough to get to the LBs cleanly with everything being in a sardine can. You're bound to fall or get tripped trying to get there.

2. 13 personnel. Unbalanced line again. Essex next to Starks. Run to right side. Kemoeatu pulls, doesn't meet anyone in the hole. LB shoots in and takes him down.

http://i40.tinypic.com/34r8zlx.png

3. 11 personnel. Wallace at X split out just outside the numbers. Ward with nasty split, right next to the end man, at Z. Trips Bunch right with Heath and Johnson. Ben calls an alert. Solid gang tackling by Gocong and Haden, drives Mendy back.

4. 22 personnel. EXACT same formation as the first play. Only difference is it is a run over center. Legursky gets blown back a good three yards by Rubin. No running lanes, as you said.

http://i40.tinypic.com/15rlcmc.png