PDA

View Full Version : Steelers TE David Johnson On The Rise

stillers4me
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
The past few games, the running game has been slightly more productive. One could argue that the offensive line is blocking better – you would be wrong. One could argue that Mendenhall is fighting for more yards – you would be dead wrong. I believe it to be something else entirely – David Johnson has learned how to block.

I think one could argue that Steelers offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, was very calculated in shifting this offense from a run heavy offense to a pass heavy offense.

Exhibit A: The release of FB Dan Kreider back in 2007/2008 after being shelved due to a torn ACL. Carey Davis replaced Kreider who was then replaced by Sean McHugh who was then released in 2010. I remember Davis a little bit. I can’t even think of McHugh’s name on a jersey on the field the last two seasons. Just goes to show that they were putting in guys who didn’t really fit the bill as FB.

Then enter David Johnson last season (he was on the roster in 2009 but mainly subbed in on TE formations)...........

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/12/12/steelers-te-david-johnson-on-the-rise/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

steelerdude15
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
He is starting to make an impact on this team and hopefully we'll have a successful duo in Johnson and Miller.

Chidi29
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Johnson played well at FB last year and was used a ton there, in contrast to what the article claims. He was used around 100-125 times from Week 6 on.

He's doing more of the same this season. Very solid lead blocker and a little more versatile than your Krieder types.

The Duke
12-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Mendenhall is most definitely fighting for more yards lately. Don't know what he's doing differently, but keep at it! Looks like the runningback we all know he can be the last few game

Yeah, DJ is pretty much as good as last year. I like that he's getting more looks in the passing game too, just another weapon for Ben especially in play action