PDA

View Full Version : Tie Breakers

mortgageman
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I read somewhere that if Baltimore loses one more game and Pitt, Pats, and Houston win out, we would not get a bye due to tie breakers. Although we beat the Pats, since there is a 3 team tie, it does not come down to head to head. Is this true? The reason I ask, is this is a very likely scenario bc the Pats and Houston have cupcake schedules. Does anyone know if it would be Houston or the Pats who had the one seed? If we got the 3 and Houston got the two, that would be ideal. I think it would be Houston with the #1 seed bc of divisional records but I can be wrong.

fansince'76
12-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I read somewhere that if Baltimore loses one more game and Pitt, Pats, and Houston win out, we would not get a bye due to tie breakers. Although we beat the Pats, since there is a 3 team tie, it does not come down to head to head. Is this true? The reason I ask, is this is a very likely scenario bc the Pats and Houston have cupcake schedules. Does anyone know if it would be Houston or the Pats who had the one seed? If we got the 3 and Houston got the two, that would be ideal. I think it would be Houston with the #1 seed bc of divisional records but I can be wrong.

If Baltimore finishes at 12-4, and the Steelers, Pats and Texans all finish 13-3, the Pats and Texans would get the 1 and 2 seeds, because they will both be 10-2 vs. the AFC, whereas the Steelers would be 9-3 vs. the AFC. So it would be conference records that would decide that. At least that's my understanding of it, anyway.

Welcome to the board! :drink:

mortgageman
12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Thank you.

That is what I thought. I am not certain as to who would get the #1 seed as i would love to have the 3 seed if it meant playing Houston in the 2nd round. I think our easiest route would obviously be to avoid playing the both the pats and ravens, even if that means having to play an extra game. I jst don't see the Texans or Pats losing another game with the remaining teams they play.

melvind02
12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I thought if the Ravens lose once and Steelers, Pats and Texans win out, the Texans would be #1 and the Steelers #2 as we beat the Pats head to head. Head to head meetings don't come 1st for tiebreakers??

fansince'76
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I thought if the Ravens lose once and Steelers, Pats and Texans win out, the Texans would be #1 and the Steelers #2 as we beat the Pats head to head. Head to head meetings don't come 1st for tiebreakers??

If it's a 3-way tiebreaker, apparently conference record is the first tiebreaker. I give myself a headache if I try to figure it all out. :chuckle:

melvind02
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
LOL!!! Thanks...Well we just need to win out and let the chips fall where they may...

st33lersguy
12-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Not in this case because the Patriots did not play the Texans. The Patriots would have to battle the Texans head to head for the head-to-head tie breaker to count

GodfatherofSoul
12-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Don't think it's possible for a 3-way tie since Pats only played us; so it'd be 1-0 Houston, 1-1 Pittsburgh, 0-1 Patriots head-to-head records.

BnG_Hevn
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I heard a fellow ask that question on SiriusXM NFL talk show and the conference record comes into play before head-to-head. It will totally suck if we have a 13 - 3 record and still don't get a daggone bye (if Baltimore loses one more) but hey, so be it.

As for playing Baltimore and then Patriots, injuries aside that is what I'd rather they do. Then there are NO excuses on "making it to the SB b/c we play X". I say if you want to be the best, travel the more difficult road and prove your worth. If we don't get a bye that is.

Dino 6 Rings
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't care really, just get to the playoffs

GodfatherofSoul
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
We've got a tough 49ers game coming up with several key players out. I'd be happy to get to 13 wins regardless.

Count Steeler
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Good time wasting discussion. Still 3 weeks left to go. Let's get healthy and kick Tebow, Sanchez, Brady, Flacco and Yates in the ass and get to the Super Bowl. Our defense can do it. Our offense can do it. Here we go Steelers!

SteelGhost
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
First off, we have to beat San Pancho on MNF, it's all that matters right now IMHO

Godfather
12-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Wouldn't they choose the 1 seed, then start over?

So if the Texans are the 1, it starts over and we get the 2 based on head to head over the Pats*.

Moose
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
We've got a tough 49ers game coming up with several key players out. I'd be happy to get to 13 wins regardless.
Exactly ! Go STEELERS oh, and welcome to the board Mortgageman

mortgageman
12-13-2011, 09:02 AM
thank you

polamalubeast
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
If the Steelers finished the season 13-3 but they do not have a home playoff game, it will prove once again that the system of the nfl is a joke.

Edman
12-13-2011, 09:38 AM
The Ravens getting a road playoff game at 12-4 and the Seahawks getting a home game at 7-9 last year proved the system is a joke. There is a very real possibility that the Steelers will be on the road with a 13-3 or 12-4 record.

The playoff would benefit cutting down on division winners and adding more wildcards. Like before the realignment, there were only three division winners and three wildcards. The top wildcard team got rewarded a home game.

mortgageman
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
i would think it may benefit us to get the 3 seed if the Texans get the 2. This way, if we make it to the second round, we will play Houston, while if Bmore wins it's first round, it will play the Pats. Whichever scenario that gives us the opportunity to only play one of them, i think, gives us the best shot at another super bowl appearance. I'd rather play 3 games, with only one against either balt/pats, than play two against both of those teams.

steeldevil
12-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Good time wasting discussion. Still 3 weeks left to go. Let's get healthy and kick Tebow, Sanchez, Brady, Flacco and Yates in the ass and get to the Super Bowl. Our defense can do it. Our offense can do it. Here we go Steelers!

I can't tell you how much I would love for the Steelers to beat the shit out of that baby blue wearing tar hole prick....

polamalubeast
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
In 2008

Colts(12-4) vs Chargers(8-8) at SD
Falcons(11-5) vs cardinals(9-7) at ARZ

last year..saints(11-5) vs seahawks(7-9) at SEA
Ravens(12-4) vs Chiefs at KC

This year

Steelers(13-3?) vs Broncos(10-6?) at Den

It's stupid!