PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Crosby out indefinitely AGAIN !!

katmandu
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7345193/sidney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-indefinitely-concussion-symptoms

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Penguins (http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-penguins) star Sidney Crosby (http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/3114/sidney-crosby) is out indefinitely with concussion-like symptoms.http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0513/nhl_i_crosby_65.jpg

Crosby
Crosby said Monday he noticed a recurrence of the problems that sidelined him for more than 10 months earlier this year following a 3-1 loss to Boston last week.
Crosby sat out Pittsburgh's two-game road trip to Philadelphia and New York as a precaution but said he's noticed familiar symptoms during light workouts over the weekend.
The 24-year-old former MVP said there is no timetable for his return but he will definitely not play on Tuesday against Detroit.
Crosby has 12 points in eight games this season, but hasn't scored a goal since netting two in his season debut on Nov. 23 against the Islanders.
Crosby called the setback beyond frustrating but stressed it was important to be safe.

43Hitman
12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
He needs to retire. Sad to say, but it would probably be the best thing for him.

oneforthetoe
12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't want to say it, but I can't help but think it.

zulater
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
He needs to retire. Sad to say, but it would probably be the best thing for him.

I think that's premature.

Hindes204
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
So unfortunate...I think ultimately this will be with him for a long time to come, such amazing talent brought down by injury. Its sad.

steelersfanman92
12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
At this point he might as well take off the rest of the season and try to heal up and go from there, it is not worth the risk for him to try to play if he is having all of these issues.

86WARD
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Eric Lindros 2.0

steelerdude15
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
:frusty: 2011, worst year in Pittsburgh sports history.

X-Terminator
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Eric Lindros 2.0

I seriously hope not. Talk about a great career ruined by concussions...

This just sucks for him, it really does. Cut out the retirement talk, it's not going to happen. You will have to drag him off the ice kicking and screaming before he does. But this setback is not good, especially considering the kind of game he plays. His ImPACT test came back OK, which is a good sign, so hopefully he won't be out too long.

steeldevil
12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh man that sucks...

steelerdude15
12-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I seriously hope not. Talk about a great career ruined by concussions...

This just sucks for him, it really does. Cut out the retirement talk, it's not going to happen. You will have to drag him off the ice kicking and screaming before he does. But this setback is not good, especially considering the kind of game he plays. His ImPACT test came back OK, which is a good sign, so hopefully he won't be out too long.

Yep, no way in Hell is Sid going to retire early. I hope he'll be okay and this is only minor.

Chidi29
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Let's just see the severity of the symptoms. Just as the team was throughot his recovery, any whiff of something not right is going to keep him out of the lineup.

zulater
12-13-2011, 05:29 AM
"I don't think 'frustrating' even describes it," he said. "It's not fun watching [games]. But at the same time, I look at my ImPACT and I look at some of that stuff and I'm way better off than I was dealing with that stuff" in January.

Mr. Crosby took hits to the head in successive games Jan. 1 and Jan. 5 and was diagnosed with a concussion Jan. 6. He then launched into months of ebbs and flows in his recovery -- light exercises in late January, skating on his own and then practicing in March, a relapse of symptoms in April, a summer of good days and bad, back to practice when training camp began in September and clearance for hitting in practice in October.

He maintains an educated optimism this time about his recovery period.

"I'm not happy ... to be dealing with this, but I've got a pretty good idea of things now, and know that this is not where I was before," Mr. Crosby said. "That's encouraging."

There is no designation for Mr. Crosby's status. His ImPACT test did not reveal a concussion, but Mr. Letang and Mr. Michalek are out because of concussions that also were not detected by ImPACT tests.

Post-concussion syndrome? Mr. Crosby doesn't know. He just considers himself to be symptomatic, and that means waiting until he feels better and wading through the steps to come back.

"It's that whole routine again," he said. "But, hopefully, not as long."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11347/1196490-61-0.stm#ixzz1gPdYhAFh

I don't know, but I get the sense they're erring on the side of extreme caution. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Sid shouldn't be handling things the way he is, but I think you can get a headache from things other than a concussion. I wouldn't be surprised if his headaches are more due neck strain or the whiplash effect of the hit he sustained against the Bruins than any relatable brain trauma.

Hopefully he'll be back on the ice soon.

Of course lost in this story is Kris Letang's concussion. Nothing against Sid, but Tanger's missed more than Sid right now. Anyone think we would have left those 5-3 pp's uncashed against the Bruins and Flyers if Tanger's in there? He makes that power play go. And the Penguins unfortunately repeated history by allowing a concussed player to retake the ice, as they did when they let Letang play in OT against the Canadians.

steelpride12
12-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes this is frustrating, but being out another 10 months I highly doubt it. His tests didn't come back a complete failure and this is just on the side of caution. The Pens are slipping, but not because we are playing bad because sadly the Pens, Steelers and Bucs all fight in the toughest divisions in their leagues and with the Cryers and Rags playing as well as they are we have no time to cry over Sid.

He will be back this season sooner or later we have to move on, were used to this situation.

zulater
12-26-2011, 08:00 PM
So will he or Letang play again this year?

I haven't heard word one on either of them's recovery. Very frustrating, particularly with Crosby. You just begin to wonder if it's just not meant to be for him anymore?

X-Terminator
12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
The Penguins have not been reporting anything on their recoveries and neither of them have spoken to the media, which is by design. I don't think they want the same media circus that surrounded Crosby's return in November and having to answer the same questions over and over and over again. And you know, I keep hearing from other fans that they think Crosby is done...well, I'm telling you he's not. He will be back and he will continue his career. Why else would the Pens announce last week that they intend on signing him to an extension this summer, if they believe he's done? Once again, the fans are just going to have to be patient with both of them.

zulater
12-27-2011, 01:49 AM
The more time that elapses without an update on Sidney Crosby's health — it's at 15 days and counting — the more some of his teammates are beginning to worry.

Crosby hasn't played since Dec. 5, hasn't practiced since Dec. 7 and hasn't spoken with the media since Dec. 12.

When Crosby last spoke publicly, he said that concussion symptoms surfaced following the game Dec. 5 against the Bruins.

Although Crosby has been visible at Consol Energy Center, the fact that he hasn't appeared on the ice in almost three weeks suggests it might be awhile until the face of hockey is back in action.

"I try not to get too caught up in it," defenseman Matt Niskanen said. "I don't ask any questions. The team, the doctors and Sid will do what is best, health-wise."

And what if the best thing for Crosby is to stay away from hockey for a large chunk of time, even longer than his almost 11-month absence this year? What if Crosby has another concussion, and the condition is a chronic one for him?

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it," Niskanen said. "There is always that scare, guys out there like Marc Savard, who probably aren't coming back. It's always a possibility."

Coach Dan Bylsma, when asked about Crosby, simply said: "There is no an update on Sidney right now."

Read more: Concern is growing for Crosby's well-being - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_773805.html#ixzz1hieRzh2u

HometownGal
12-27-2011, 05:20 AM
"I'm not happy ... to be dealing with this, but I've got a pretty good idea of things now, and know that this is not where I was before," Mr. Crosby said. "That's encouraging."

I'm still hanging onto this statement by Sid and am hoping and praying for the best. :pray:

BlacknGoldBabe
12-27-2011, 06:28 AM
:Cry: Although it's for a different issue, I'd hate to see him have to retire like Lemieux did. Sid's a tremendous player, talented and a class act.

My well wishes and prayers are with him.

X-Terminator
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
WHEN Crosby comes back (personally I'm tired of reading all of these "doomsday" scenarios regarding his health), he's going to have to alter his game a little bit so that he doesn't take as many hits. I know it will be tough for him to do that, because he only knows one way to play the game. But in order to save himself from getting another concussion, he won't have much choice. Because that next one could be a career-ender.

Devilsdancefloor
12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
WHEN Crosby comes back (personally I'm tired of reading all of these "doomsday" scenarios regarding his health), he's going to have to alter his game a little bit so that he doesn't take as many hits. I know it will be tough for him to do that, because he only knows one way to play the game. But in order to save himself from getting another concussion, he won't have much choice. Because that next one could be a career-ender.

i think he can alter his play style, but are teams going to let him? im sure teams like the craps, the cryers are going to test him every chance they get once he gets back on the ice. i hope he does have Lindros v2.0 i want to see a great talent on the ice. He is a important part of the NHL.