PDA

View Full Version : Should Steelers sit Big Ben for next few games?

SteelerEmpire
12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/ben-roethlisberger-121011.jpg

By Ryan Wilson

The Steelers became the first AFC team to 10 wins when they defeated the Browns Thursday night. But it came at a price: quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and center Maurkice Pouncey suffered high-ankle sprains, and it's unclear if either will play nine days from now when Pittsburgh plays San Francisco on Monday Night Football.

LINK: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33791130

Nadroj 20
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
If he can't go he can't go. But if he is able to even if he isn't 100% I think he should play. We are going against a good 49ers team and really do not have a backup QB to help us win that game imo. With Baltimore going against the Chargers (Rivers is 22-2 in the month of December and they are coming off his best game this year probably) its possible for the Ravens to go down Sunday night.

We will know whether they do before our game but that would obviously make them 10-4 and we would have the chance to get a lead on them if we beat the 49ers going to 11-3.

With Home Field Advantage and a bye on the line I see Ben playing and think he will.

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Even if the Steelers win the division, is not certain that the Steelers have a bye.

If the Patriots and Texans finish the season 13-3, the Steelers will not have a bye, even if they win the division.

Broncos on the road or Jets at home?

st33lersguy
12-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I think we need Ben to play in order to have a good shot. I do not like the matchup against our O-line with a wounded Pouncey and Mendenhall against their top ranked rush defense and beastly front 7

suitanim
12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
If he was able to finish the game against a bottom-feeder like the Browns, and he says he can go, let him play. We need to win every game (and get help from a Ratfilth opponent). We need Ben to accomplish that...

For some odd reason, people seem to have a very cavalier attitude towards the importance of winning every game. We are literally teetering on the brink of dropping from a very attainable #1 seed and homefield throughout all the way down to a 5 seed and playing on the road. I'd maintain that we probably have a better chance of winning against at least a couple of these lessor teams at home WITH BATCH then we would on the road with Ben. We could be tied for the second best record in the NFL, probably BE the second best team in the NFL, and never even sniff the Super Bowl because of one key loss.

The Steelers need to completely sell-out for the #1...and if they DO win every game and still end up #5, they will have no one to blame but themselves for giving up that 92 yard TD drive to Fucko.

Nadroj 20
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Even if the Steelers win the division, is not certain that the Steelers have a bye.

If the Patriots and Texans finish the season 13-3, the Steelers will not have a bye, even if they win the division.

We beat New England.

If they are all three the only 13-3 teams...wouldn't the top 2 be Steelers and Texans?

tube517
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM

If they win the division with a 13-3 record, they will have the #2 seed, which has a bye. They hold tie breaker over the Cheats*. They lose the tiebreaker for the #1 seed to the Texans

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
We beat New England.

If they are all three the only 13-3 teams...wouldn't the top 2 be Steelers and Texans?

No.

If the Texans, the Patriots and the Steelers finish 13-3, the Steelers will not have a bye.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Nadroj 20
12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for that link...

Go all the way to bottom for first Bold line then back up to the wildcard procedure for second bold line....

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:
1.The division champion with the best record.
2.The division champion with the second-best record.
3.The division champion with the third-best record.
4.The division champion with the fourth-best record.
5.The Wild Card club with the best record.
6.The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9.Best net points in common games.
10.Best net points in all games.
11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
12.Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).
1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
9.Best net points in common games.
12.Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1.If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2.If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1.Head-to-head, if applicable.
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4.Strength of victory.
5.Strength of schedule.
6.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best net points in conference games.
9.Best net points in all games.
10.Best net touchdowns in all games.
11.Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1.Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2.Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
9.Best net points in conference games.
12.Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
1.Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
2.In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
3.To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
4.To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
5.To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

Nadroj 20
12-12-2011, 10:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

Look at the first dudes comment on that page....

I dont think Yahoo is taking the tiebreaker into consideration, I can't see the Pats getting a better seed when Pittsburgh straight up beat them

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
If he can go, he has to play against the 49ers. For that matter, I don't know if the Steelers can beat either the Rams or Browns with Batch starting.

What are they going to do....rely on the running game?

fansince'76
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
If he can possibly play, he plays. Especially if the Ravens lose in San Diego.

suitanim
12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes, they could be the #2 seed as well...and Houston has a pretty cupcake schedule left, with Indy on the road and the Titans and Carolina at home...but for some reason, I see them dropping at least another game. Their QB is T.J. Yates. I repeat, their QB is T. J. Yates.

N.E. has an easy ride...on the road against the Denver Tebow's (and next Sunday at 4:15 is when the Jorts dream ends...the Pats will crush Denver), and then home against a bad Miami team and a wishy-washy Bills who, even when they were playing good solid ball, could only beat NE in Buffalo on the last play.

Here's how I see this playing out: Rats drop a game (probably Cinci, MAYBE Chargers, and maybe both, but probably not), Texans drop a game (and probably one they normally would have won had Shaub been playing QB), and NE wins out. That leaves NE at 13-3, and both Rats and Texans at 12-4.

Then it's up to us to win out as well. 13-3 Steelers win the tie-breaker with the Cheats, and I think there are at least 2 teams (probably Rats and Texans again) who can go into NE and beat Marsha Gaydy...

But we HAVE to win out.

Nadroj 20
12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok its possible that the normal tie breaking procedures wouldn't apply because it won't be a tie between just the Steelers and Pats...it would be 3 teams including Texans so that screws everything up....If it was just between pats and steelers what I said would be true, but I think things are changing because of the texans but I may be wrong.

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
The Patriots have the advantage of the a tiebreaker of three teams.

After, the next tiebreaker,it's the Texans who have the advantage over the Steelers.

fansince'76
12-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Same to that of ESPN, the tiebreaker, the Steelers would end if they end up 3rd with a record of 13-3 with the Patriots and Texans....The Patriots have the advantage of the a tiebreaker of three teams.

After, the next tiebreaker,it's the Texans who have the advantage over the Steelers.

We beat the Pats head-to-head. If both teams finish 13-3, I don't see how the Steelers would get the lower seed, if both teams also win their division.

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
We beat the Pats head-to-head. If both teams finish 13-3, I don't see how the Steelers would get the lower seed, if both teams also win their division.

The Patriots have the advantage since they will have finished the season with a record of 10-2 against the afc.The Steelers have 9-3.

If it is a tie has two teams with the Patriots and Steelers .... the Steelers have the advantage.

But if the Texans have the same record than the Steelers and Patriots a 13-3, the Patriots finished first and Texans finished 2nd.

Nadroj 20
12-12-2011, 10:53 AM

I agree 100%

But since the Texans are in that mix its a 3 way tie for 2 spots and 3 team tiebreakers are different from 2 team tiebrakers. I was defending it at first but now im afraid he is correct.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1.Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2.Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
9.Best net points in conference games.
12.Coin toss

Steelers would be 9-3 in AFC...Pats and Texans 10-2

This is so stupid but it looks to be the case....

fansince'76
12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
The Patriots have the advantage since they will have finished the season with a record of 10-2 against the afc.The Steelers have 9-3.

If it is a tie has two teams with the Patriots and Steelers .... the Steelers have the advantage.

But if the Texans have the same record than the Steelers and Patriots a 13-3, the Patriots finished first and Texans finished 2nd.

Ah, OK. I keep forgetting about the Texans.

suitanim
12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Ah, OK. I keep forgetting about the Texans.

T.
J.
Yates.

GBMelBlount
12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
It all depends on how well he heals over the next week and how the ratbirds do sunday.

If it is a "typical" injury that he has played with before then I would say OK.

If the Ravens win and his injury is still much worse than when he is normally cleared then I would sit him...

...or start batch and bring him ONLY if necessary at the end.

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
In both scenario, which is best for the steelers?

on the road vs Denver or at home vs New York Jets?

cold-hard-steel
12-12-2011, 12:49 PM
If "hell must be unleashed in December" to win out,then Ben should play if he is comfortable in doing so. That should go double if any of the 10-3 teams should lose.I don't think Ben will have it any other way.If he can play,i think he will.

fansince'76
12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
T.
J.
Yates.

Which is why I keep forgetting about the Texans. :chuckle:

Unfortunately, Unibrow's 92-yard drive is looming larger every week.

steelreserve
12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I just don't see the Texans finishing 13-3. They're too fragile. They OUGHT to beat all three of their opponents on paper, but they're in the kind of situation where they could lose any given game at any moment. The question for us is whether Baltimore will slip up and let us win the division, which is about a 50-50 chance to me.

In either case, we have to play Ben next week if he is able to go at all. Against teams like the 49ers, it's not only that Ben is good for an extra 10 points of offense; it's also that Batch will let SF put an extra 10 points on the board by losing the field position battle, and badly. The 49ers win by being absolutely brutal on field position, and Batch can't move the ball. So we'd be playing right into their hands. If Ben can't go, we basically have to resign ourselves to the 5 seed.

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
rest of the shedule for Houston

Panthers
@Colts
Titans

BigNastyDefense
12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I can see the Texans losing to the Panthers. I can see Cam Newton outscoring the Texans with TJ Yates at QB.

Colts are dying for a win, I don't see them winning the game but it could happen.

Also, I can see the Titans winning, they are so wishy-washy one week they look very good the other week they are awful.

polamalubeast
12-12-2011, 03:19 PM
the panthers defense is one of the worst defense in the nfl

SteelGhost
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I just don't see the Texans finishing 13-3. They're too fragile. They OUGHT to beat all three of their opponents on paper, but they're in the kind of situation where they could lose any given game at any moment. The question for us is whether Baltimore will slip up and let us win the division, which is about a 50-50 chance to me.

In either case, we have to play Ben next week if he is able to go at all. Against teams like the 49ers, it's not only that Ben is good for an extra 10 points of offense; it's also that Batch will let SF put an extra 10 points on the board by losing the field position battle, and badly. The 49ers win by being absolutely brutal on field position, and Batch can't move the ball. So we'd be playing right into their hands. If Ben can't go, we basically have to resign ourselves to the 5 seed.

QFT