PDA

View Full Version : I've gotta say it...I'm now on 'Team Gay'

stillers4me
12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
What a difference a year makes! Or maybe that should be "what a difference Carnell Lake makes". For all the bitching, moaning and criticism about our secondary we had last year and all offseason, I haven't heard a single major complaint all season!

I'm waiting....raise your hand if you believed that William Gay would turn out to the huge playmaker he's been this year and been the gamechanger as many times as he has.
That's what I thought. :lol:

Chidi29
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Ahem...

:chuckle:

The Duke
12-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm thoroughly impressed by his interceptions as he's never been a turnovers guy, but other than that he's playing as well as I've always expected him to play

stillers4me
12-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Ahem...

Come on!! Admit it.........you guys are 'Team Gay', too! :lol:

Chidi29
12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Come on!! Admit it.........you guys are 'Team Gay', too! :lol:

I've always been Team Gay. I think Preacher and I have been the only two driving that bus.

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
The secondary is a huge surprise for me!

They proved against the patriots that the secondary was very good!

zulater
12-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I've always been Team Gay. I think Preacher and I have been the only two driving that bus.

http://images.travelpod.com/users/leahjr4/1.1246893332.a-rainbow-bus-of-course.jpg

Got it! :heh:

Chidi29
12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Haha!

Troy43
12-10-2011, 09:27 PM
eh he still got burned a few times lately...he's playing well but i would like an upgrade there still(after we get some new offensive linemen). hes fine as the 3rd cb though

zulater
12-10-2011, 09:37 PM
eh he still got burned a few times lately...he's playing well but i would like an upgrade there still(after we get some new offensive linemen). hes fine as the 3rd cb though

Look around the league, there's not a lot 2nd cornerbacks playing better than Gay. After the Texans I'd say the Steelers have had the second best cornerback play in the AFC this season.

Edman
12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
He's been burned a few times this year (2nd Baltimore game), but he's been in on plays more than before.

Chidi29
12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
He's been burned a few times this year (2nd Baltimore game), but he's been in on plays more than before.

He was put in some bad matchups, forced to play on coverage against the speedy Torrey Smith. Hard to fault Gay.

tube517
12-10-2011, 10:04 PM
A combination of him turning his attitude around and Lake's coaching is having a good effect. He played solid in the nickel last year and deserves the #2 CB job this year. Yeah, he got burnt by Gronkowski but who hasn't? 2009 was a nightmare but he was overconfident and played horrible. If he can stay healthy and keep grounded, I think he can stay solid. I like the way he's been at least getting some INTs this year. We have some nice depth with Lewis, and the 2 rookies. I hope Lake stays around for 200 years. I think BMac is gone next year.

pepsyman1
12-10-2011, 10:21 PM
The New England game is something that now causes me aggravation. We showed that we have the ability to play not only "man" coverage if the situation dictates, but we were capable of playing some heavy press man coverage and really challenge the receivers to get off the line of scrimmage. That disruption of timing really helped us put pressure on Brady because he didn't have those easy short passes underneath sitting waiting for him. I don't ever expect us to do that all the time, that's not LeBeau's approach on D, BUT when we see a team start moving easily against us like Browns were doing during parts of the game Thursday it would be really nice to see LeBeau switch up and use the press man approach to break their rhythm. Cleveland only scored 3 points (thank you D for not breaking), but they still managed 19 first downs which is only one less than the Steelers had.

Steeldude
12-10-2011, 10:48 PM
he has pretty much always played this way. for the longest time i have been telling people that mcfadden was the joke, not gay.

Steeldude
12-10-2011, 10:50 PM
A combination of him turning his attitude around and Lake's coaching is having a good effect. He played solid in the nickel last year and deserves the #2 CB job this year. Yeah, he got burnt by Gronkowski but who hasn't? 2009 was a nightmare but he was overconfident and played horrible. If he can stay healthy and keep grounded, I think he can stay solid. I like the way he's been at least getting some INTs this year. We have some nice depth with Lewis, and the 2 rookies. I hope Lake stays around for 200 years. I think BMac is gone next year.

2009 was more of a result of polamalu being out and lebeau admitting he played a passive defense as a result

HollywoodSteel
12-10-2011, 11:01 PM
I admit, I'm now onboard with the Gay agenda.

steel striker
12-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Gay has improved and, has made some big plays this year. Every corner gets beat from time to time. It was a shame that at the end of the raven game that happened but, no doubt the guy has played well this year. Plus that Torrey Smith is real fast as well and, not to mention Smith got away with a little pushoff as well.

Texasteel
12-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Taylor and Gay are playing well, Lewis is starting to make plays, and Brown has the look of a kid that is coming on fast, and lets not forget Cortez Allen. If we have a shot at a sure fire, drop dead,game changing CB, OK. Other wise, I'm pretty happy with what we have right now.

Count Steeler
12-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Yes, kudos to Gay for playing up to his potential. Lake has been the effect to take us to the #2 passing defense before the Cleveland game. This despite not having many sacks and the turnovers are just starting.

The secondary has been a complete pleasant surprise this season. The defense is solid and is getting TOs again. If we can get fully healthy and Harrison doesn't get a bogus suspension, the D will carry us to the division lead, despite what happens with Ben, Dennis and Charlie.

tube517
12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
2009 was more of a result of polamalu being out and lebeau admitting he played a passive defense as a result

Lower sacks and less TOs this year put more pressure on the secondary and he's responded well.

SteelerEmpire
12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
The Ravens continued to target Gay as they still feel he's still the weakest link on the defense. But one thing I can say about Gay, if a QB's throw to his WR is just a little off and hit's Gay's hands, chances are excellent their will be a pic... he's got good hands.

ALLD
12-11-2011, 10:16 AM
He has found a way to come back with turnovers after making mistakes. Nobody bats 1.000 and Gay has more than carried his weight this season.

st33lersguy
12-11-2011, 10:31 AM
He has been very impressive. He has made huge plays against Cincinnati and Cleveland that were vital in winning those games

oneforthetoe
12-11-2011, 11:10 AM
He has played well. He is not particularly athletically gifted, so if he is put in a match up against a wide out who is, coupled with a qb who can get that wide out the ball, he is still susceptible to being burned. A team like the Packers comes to mind. Still, how many teams these days have a number 2 cb who isn't susceptible in those situations? His play has been well above the line for a #2 cb.

Best line I heard was on NFL Network. When they were doing highlights of Gays's int in the Cleveland game, the studio announcer mentioned that "you couldn't throw on gay island."

Send your letters to NFL Network "uptight political correctors."

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, I believe that he has been working out with Taylor in the offseason and definately looks to be closer to the receiver and defending more plays than in previous years.

I am a big Keenan Lewis fan, but earlier in the season, Lewis looked to play off and not be in position to challenge many throws. That is how Gay looked last year and before. Both were allowing receptions and making the tackle. I would hope that Lewis, Brown or Allen will surpass Gay in upcoming seasons and Gay can play nickel, but for now he is doing a good job.

kmsteelerwr15
12-11-2011, 12:02 PM
I am extremely pleased with how he has played this season! I can honestly say I'm jumping aboard Team Gay!

The WH
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
http://images.travelpod.com/users/leahjr4/1.1246893332.a-rainbow-bus-of-course.jpg

Got it! :heh: How delightfully 12 year oldish of you Zulater.

Iron Steeler
12-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Ughh I don't even no what to say. I wanna say something negative about.the guy but he sure.is making it hard. I still would like to see improvement with our.seconday.

Gay is having a great year. But still not the answer for me

Chidi29
12-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Ugh, don't know what more you guys want. Him to solve world hunger?

XxKnightxX
12-11-2011, 01:27 PM
He was put in some bad matchups, forced to play on coverage against the speedy Torrey Smith. Hard to fault Gay.

Torrey Smith and Ryan Clark as your over the top guy, its basically playing man to man. I look back at that play and Cam Cameron found a way to take advantage of us. If im right he put Boldin on the slot and made him run the middle, which Clark bit on and we all know the rest.

zulater
12-11-2011, 01:45 PM
How delightfully 12 year oldish of you Zulater.

Oh Christ, the PC police have been put on notice! Who exactly am I offending here? You don't think the OP was made with a little wink and a smile, with the obvious play on words? You think any Gay poster we may have here is outraged over my posting a picture of a bus in response to the post Chidi made? I mean where is the offense?!! Hell I can find you about 5000 posts on this board concerning Tom Brady that a gay person might find a little over the top. Where are you for those?

Geez WH, I expect more of you than that. To make something out of a little fucking joke. Christ almighty. I'm telling you, a couple posts on this board today have me seriously considering giving up message board posting altogether. :wtf:

Chidi29
12-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Torrey Smith and Ryan Clark as your over the top guy, its basically playing man to man. I look back at that play and Cam Cameron found a way to take advantage of us. If im right he put Boldin on the slot and made him run the middle, which Clark bit on and we all know the rest.

Yes, you're correct. If you want to play man, don't play so close coverage. You're asking to get burned.

zulater
12-11-2011, 02:04 PM
The way the rules are, there's really no such thing as a shutdown corner, in the classic mold. That even goes for Reavis.

Our corners ( Gay very much included) are playing at a very high level this season. Not perfect, but pretty damn good, almost as good as you can get given the current constraints on defensive play. It's really nice going into next offseason that we can direct our draft in other areas imo.

fansince'76
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
How delightfully 12 year oldish of you Zulater.

Really, WH? It was pretty obviously a joke.

GBMelBlount
12-11-2011, 02:10 PM
The way the rules are, there's really no such thing as a shutdown corner, in the classic mold. That even goes for Reavis.

Our corners ( Gay very much included) are playing at a very high level this season. Not perfect, but pretty damn good, almost as good as you can get given the current constraints on defensive play. It's really nice going into next offseason that we can direct our draft in other areas imo.

That is EXACTLY how I feel Zu.

Looking at the big picture, with Gay and so many of the younger offensive and defensive players developing so well it may really allow us to focus on and FINALLY take care of our O line needs this next draft.

zulater
12-11-2011, 02:14 PM
That is EXACTLY how I feel Zu.

Looking at the big picture, with Gay and so many of the younger offensive and defensive players developing so well it may really allow us to focus on and FINALLY take care of our O line needs this next draft.

Nah, we should take a kicker! :wink02:

Seriously if I had to wager on the Steelers will do, ( as opposed to what I'd do) I'd bet they look to draft Farrior's replacement in the first round.

tube517
12-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Nah, we should take a kicker! :wink02:

Seriously if I had to wager on the Steelers will do, ( as opposed to what I'd do) I'd bet they look to draft Farrior's replacement in the first round.

I bet we trade up for a kicker too. :heh:

The WH
12-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh Christ, the PC police have been put on notice! Who exactly am I offending here? You don't think the OP was made with a little wink and a smile, with the obvious play on words? You think any Gay poster we may have here is outraged over my posting a picture of a bus in response to the post Chidi made? I mean where is the offense?!! Hell I can find you about 5000 posts on this board concerning Tom Brady that a gay person might find a little over the top. Where are you for those?

Geez WH, I expect more of you than that. To make something out of a little fucking joke. Christ almighty. I'm telling you, a couple posts on this board today have me seriously considering giving up message board posting altogether. :wtf:

AHAHHAHAHAHAHA Why do you think I picked your post, out of ALLLL the other posts.

I gotta say....I got the exact response I was expecting.:rofl2:
Don't get mad, just doing my best to ruffle your feathers.

zulater
12-11-2011, 03:37 PM
AHAHHAHAHAHAHA Why do you think I picked your post, out of ALLLL the other posts.

I gotta say....I got the exact response I was expecting.:rofl2:
Don't get mad, just doing my best to ruffle your feathers.

Oh you fucker. :lol: I'm stupid, I should have known! :doh:

:rofl2:

The WH
12-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh you fucker. :lol: I'm stupid, I should have known! :doh:

:rofl2: I patiently wait for the repurcussions.

ALLD
12-11-2011, 03:42 PM
WE still need OL, DL and some LBers.

zulater
12-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I patiently wait for the repurcussions.

If you go, I'm going with ya. :lol: Don't worry, nothing will come of it. Just a little joke between old pals. I did suspect, but I was in a bad mood from another thread, so I went with it. Again, you got me, I'm an idiot. :lol:

fansince'76
12-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I patiently wait for the repurcussions.

Got me too.

"Assume the position!" :buttkick:

SteelGhost
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I have to admit that Gay is playing a lot better, maybe it's "The Lake effect" :noidea:

steelreserve
12-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Carnell Lake is a fucking genius, is all I have to say.

Gay obviously has some skills, but until Lake showed up, he was wallowing in his own crapulence. We need to give Lake a 1,000,000-year contract extension, plus longevity treatments.

shutdown
12-13-2011, 01:00 AM

Really?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/9678-CB-Numbers-Game

Chidi29
12-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Really?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/9678-CB-Numbers-Game

Sorry, at the moment that was all that came to mind.

I know you've done a good job of defending Gay in the past, shutdown.