PDA

View Full Version : doug legursky

crcsnail
12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
i know u guys diss legursky a bit and i dont post very often. but i gotta say legursky has really stepped it up when needed . so fair play to him ! a steeler unsung hero in my opinion .

zulater
12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
When you see what Kemo can do, it really makes you appreciate Doug. :heh:

Seriously he's been playing well, but I still want the Steelers to draft a guard early next year. Doug plays all three interior line positions well, he's a great player to have on your team.

katmandu
12-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Doug is a helluva player IMHO. If he was a bit bigger and had longer arms, he'd be a real beast!

The Duke
12-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Main backup next year, hopefully to a line that has either an early round LG or a reliable free agent

st33lersguy
12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
He is OK, he can be upgraded, but is good for a backup role and is better than Piss Kemo. The plan should be to draft a guard, have Legursky as a backup plan and cut Kemo

tube517
12-10-2011, 10:06 PM
He is the Chris Hoke of the OL. Backup that can play different positions when needed. Not a full time solution anywhere but role players are always needed and he's a keeper.

Craic
12-11-2011, 01:46 AM
He is the Chris Hoke of the OL. Backup that can play different positions when needed. Not a full time solution anywhere but role players are always needed and he's a keeper.

After the abuse he was taking on this board earlier in the year, I started watching him a bit more. It seems the two biggest issues (at least for me) has been worked on. First, it seems he is getting a lot more push out of the snap. Second, he is hitting the second level faster. Of course, part of that was last him pulling at Guard in the last game. But I have to wonder if he's really starting to develop.

I still have no idea why people talk about his size. He's the same weight as most other starters, very strong, and I thought the very reason everyone wanted Willie Colon at Guard instead of Tackle was BECAUSE his short arms would be much less of an issue.

I'm not saying that we bank on the guy, except as first replacement for the three interior positions. I still think but the Center job should be open for competition next year. But I wouldn't sell him short. He just may be getting the experience he needed to make the leap.

Austin87
12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
After the abuse he was taking on this board earlier in the year, I started watching him a bit more. It seems the two biggest issues (at least for me) has been worked on. First, it seems he is getting a lot more push out of the snap. Second, he is hitting the second level faster. Of course, part of that was last him pulling at Guard in the last game. But I have to wonder if he's really starting to develop.

I still have no idea why people talk about his size. He's the same weight as most other starters, very strong, and I thought the very reason everyone wanted Willie Colon at Guard instead of Tackle was BECAUSE his short arms would be much less of an issue.

I'm not saying that we bank on the guy, except as first replacement for the three interior positions. I still think but the Center job should be open for competition next year. But I wouldn't sell him short. He just may be getting the experience he needed to make the leap.

Great post.

zulater
12-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't really remember Legurky getting abused by anyone? Unless if stating an opinion that he's somewhat limited and probably over the course of a 16 games season as a starter would be exposed by the league's better DT's, NT's, and ILB's is somehow an abuse?

I respect Doug, he's certainly improved and playing above my expectations. I have no complaints with his recent play. But I still think he has more value as a backup. I don't know if another team in the league has a player comparable to him, one that can go play any of three interior line positions without a perceptible drop off in play on a one game basis.

But again I hope the Steelers draft a stud left guard early. And over the course of 16 games I think Foster is slightly better than Doug as a starter.

I guess I'm a hater? Oh well, I can live with that. :coffee:

Texasteel
12-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Doug is a kid that every team needs, and no one talks about much. You can plug him in anywhere on the interior and not loose a bunch. I would like to see us come up with a couple of players that, teamed up with Pouncey, will give us one of the strongest interior O-lines in the game. Then use Doug as a jack of all trades to keep that line play consistent.

Looks like we said about the same thing Zu. Beat me by that much.

Count Steeler
12-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Doug seems to play better at center. I like the suggestion that someone else made way back in week 3 or 4 that Pouncey and Legs should switch positions. Foster and Essex have also been serviceable this year. However, it would be nice to have an above average guard that has a brain to go with his brawn. Colon may fit the bill, but we should definitely draft a OG/C for added depth.

86WARD
12-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Legursky >> Kemo.

Legursky << most LGs in the league.

Having said that, he's a spot starter at best and a great backup center who could probably start at c on a team somewhere. Great utility guy to have on the roster. He's an asset...just not an every down starter.

Texasteel
12-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Doug seems to play better at center. I like the suggestion that someone else made way back in week 3 or 4 that Pouncey and Legs should switch positions. Foster and Essex have also been serviceable this year. However, it would be nice to have an above average guard that has a brain to go with his brawn. Colon may fit the bill, but we should definitely draft a OG/C for added depth.

I refuse to count on Colon any longer. There are a few OGs, and one OC in particular, in this years draft that I think would fit into our line nicely. I really think we will end up with one of them.

zulater
12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Legursky >> Kemo.

Having said that, he's a spot starter at best and a great backup center who could probably start at c on a team somewhere. Great utility guy to have on the roster. He's an asset...just not an every down starter.

Hater!

:chuckle: :wink02:

GBMelBlount
12-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Doug is a kid that every team needs, and no one talks about much. You can plug him in anywhere on the interior and not loose a bunch. I would like to see us come up with a couple of players that, teamed up with Pouncey, will give us one of the strongest interior O-lines in the game. Then use Doug as a jack of all trades to keep that line play consistent.

Looks like we said about the same thing Zu. Beat me by that much.

Great post Tex.

In whatever role, we are fortunate to have Legursky. He has a great heart and a great attitude.

That being said, I have been as critical as anyone of our offensive line play the last 4-5 years and think it is imperative we grab a very solid offensive lineman EARLY in the upcoming draft.

...and with how well our young players are developing on offense and defense we have no excuse not to imo.

It is an absolute priority.

crcsnail
12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
thanks for the input guys . more positives than negatives . i hope he keeps playing well. i like try-ers and he sure is one of those :)

Devilsdancefloor
12-11-2011, 10:32 AM
what doug lacks in talent he makes up with a hell of a lot of heart! id take the guy with heart over the talented guy, cause you are going to always be able to count on him

philsteel
12-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Haters think that we'll keep Legursky as a backup. The teams new pet Hokey. It isn't going to happen. This young man has the skill and determination to start and play at a high level in the league. Remember he was all MAC for years and was considered a high draft pick until they found he wasn't 6'4". Regardless, he proves his worth every time he plays center and only pads his resume every time he crushes on the counter pike at LG. I think lots of hater fans don't know much. They say; "I think Foster is better". Oh really, I suppose that Foster has Legursky's agility huh. Yeah, if Legursky has cement blocks tied to his shoes. IOWs I think haters are basically followers looking to bash one of our good players just because its safe to bash the fan base message board anointed "that guy". If the haters will get their way and get that day 1 guard, I hope the rookie does well, because Doug will get a nice contract and start somewhere else if Steeler haters have their way. Personally I hope we sign Doug to a starters contract and draft someone capable of backing all three spots on the interior.

GBMelBlount
12-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Every Steelers player has had negative comments Phil....and when somebody writes off Legursky it is simply their opinion, right or wrong, and they are entitled to it.

The question is can he develop enough to be a solid starter. Personally I think he can, especially given his great attitude and work ethic.

He is still VERY young and hopefully will continue to improve.

...and welcome to the board! :drink:

XxKnightxX
12-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Yes may I help you? hahahaha

But yeah Legs has done an amazing job at improving, I think that he was a little uncomfortable being a full time starter, at that point, people gameplan against you and focus on you , which may have thrown him off his game, or maybe he tried to do too much as if he was always fighting for his job, which when you think about it, he was and it isnt fair. Hes a great guy, hell always stay low since hes short and hes a mean guy and knows how to push people off the line and althought I hate to say this, he position blocks well. I hope he keeps improving, but theres no dobut that we need to add depth and talent to our O line.

zulater
12-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Haters think that we'll keep Legursky as a backup. The teams new pet Hokey. It isn't going to happen. This young man has the skill and determination to start and play at a high level in the league. Remember he was all MAC for years and was considered a high draft pick until they found he wasn't 6'4". Regardless, he proves his worth every time he plays center and only pads his resume every time he crushes on the counter pike at LG. I think lots of hater fans don't know much. They say; "I think Foster is better". Oh really, I suppose that Foster has Legursky's agility huh. Yeah, if Legursky has cement blocks tied to his shoes. IOWs I think haters are basically followers looking to bash one of our good players just because its safe to bash the fan base message board anointed "that guy". If the haters will get their way and get that day 1 guard, I hope the rookie does well, because Doug will get a nice contract and start somewhere else if Steeler haters have their way. Personally I hope we sign Doug to a starters contract and draft someone capable of backing all three spots on the interior.

I think you're way out there to equate anything said in this thread as "hate" towards Legursky.

Sorry no way of pussyfooting it, and if I get suspended over it I really don't give a shit.

But you've outkicked your coverage on this one guy. You've basically called anyone who disagree's with you a hater and idiot. You don't have that right.

fansince'76
12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Please keep it civil, folks. Thanks.

zulater
12-11-2011, 01:52 PM

I cleaned it up a little, but honestly, he and his one post can shove it as far as I'm concerned.

GBMelBlount
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Perhaps Phil's post hit a little too "close to home" for some people's likings....:chuckle:

zulater
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Perhaps Phil's post hit a little too "close to home" for some people's likings....:chuckle:

I've never been one to put much stock in post count to judge what someone has to say. But to come on this board and basically tell anyone who disagrees you that they're an unknowing idiot on your very first post on a message board I'd say is a little over the top. No?

LLT
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Actually...you wont find a bigger Legursky fan than I am. I was on his band wagon when he was a senior and I hoped that we would grab him as a late round pick. That being said....We have to look at Doug for what he really is. A competitor...a lunch box player with a huge motor...BUT, he is a wave player. The kind of guy that you can bring off the bench and know that he is going to leave it all on the field and not lose the game for you. Players like that have their role on a team...and I personally believe that Doug's role is critical due to our lack of interior depth.
But Legursky is a player that can be upgraded as a starter...pure and simple. Doug has good strength and leverage but is slower off the ball then one would like and has limited athleticism. I hope Doug is here for years to come because he gives me confidence when one of our players go down....but ...I would like to see us grab a blue chip LG in this next draft.

GBMelBlount
12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I've never been one to put much stock in post count to judge what someone has to say. But to come on this board and basically tell anyone who disagrees you that they're an unknowing idiot on your very first post on a message board I'd say is a little over the top.

No?

I understand ZU. Phil is obviously very passionate in his support for Legursky.

But maybe there are reasons for his strong convictions Zu. Maybe he is from Beckley West Virginia like my mom and is proud of Doug. Maybe he is a former school mate or a best friend. Maybe it is even his dad. lol.

But considering this is his first post....and he is apparently a very passionate Steelers fan like all of us I would imagine....that well, perhaps you could have gone a little easier on him...you normally don't let your feathers get ruffled so I guess I was just surprised that you let his very first post get under your skin like that.

If his sole goal for posting was to irritate you he definitely hit it out of the park on his first at bat. :chuckle:

That's all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Legursky >> Kemo.

This is where I am at. He plays well against 3-4 teams IMO where he can get to the 2nd level, or at C vs a NT where he gets an angle on a defender. I just dont see him pushing guys around that are similar size or larger in the interior.

Good utility guy, but not a guy that is gonna impose his will on the defender in goal line and short yardage situations.