PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the AFC's Head Coaches(Tomlin 3rd)

polamalubeast
07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/415316-nfl-weekly-power-rankings-ranking-the-afcs-head-coaches#page/16

16. Tom Cable (Raiders)
Overall Record: 9-19
Playoff Appearances: 0
Years with team: Almost two years
The only noteworthy thing Cable has done is get himself into a possible lawsuit with an assistant coach. Nine wins in nearly two seasons won't get you many places...except last place on this list.

15. Eric Mangini (Browns)
Overall Record: 28-36
Playoff Appearances: 1
Years with team: 1
Well, the Mangenius is not what he once was considered. After being fired by the Jets, the Browns thought it'd be a good idea to give him a second chance. Five wins later, somehow he still has a job.

14. Chan Gailey (Bills)
Overall Record: 18-14
Playoff Appearances: 2
Years with team: 0
It's not that the numbers above are bad; they're actually pretty good. The problem is that they are from 11 years ago and his last stint as a coordinator lasted through training camp. He got fired at Georgia Tech, then the school saw dramatic improvement without him. When I saw this hire, I knew the Bills were desperate.

13. Josh McDaniels (Broncos)
Overall record: 8-8
As a head coach, you're not supposed to run off your franchise quarterback, No. 1 wideout, starting tight end, and defensive coordinator. Yet McDaniels has done so, all before his second season as a head coach. By the way, don't wear the hoodie and go 8-8.

12. Todd Haley (Chiefs)
Overall Record: 4-12
This guy was put in a tough situation, so I don't really want to put him this low. I can't put him over proven coaches either, so he lands here at 12.

11. Norv Turner (Chargers)
Overall Record: 90-98-1
Playoff Appearances: 4
Years with team: 3
Great offensive coordinator, terrible head coach. I know some may disagree, but his pedigree as a head coach shows the facts. He simply cannot motivate his team and it shows the way the team starts the season. The Chargers should be winning Super Bowls—anything else is a disappointment.

10. Gary Kubiak (Texans)
Overall Record: 31-33
Years with team: 4
The numbers show it all: four seasons and no playoff appearances. This team has too much talent to not make the playoffs. One thing is for sure: Gary Kubiak is on the hot seat.

Tied for 9. Jack Del Rio (Jaguars) and Marvin Lewis (Bengals)
Overall Record: (Del Rio 57-55, Lewis 56-55-1)
Playoff Appearances: 2 (for each)
Years with team: 7
Those numbers are amazing, pretty much identical. I'd say Del Rio has more pressure on him than Marvin Lewis, since he hasn't made the playoffs in a longer period of time. The Bengals are also in better shape than the Jags. With these numbers, I couldn't put one over the other.

7. Tony Sparano (Dolphins)
Overall Record: 18-14
Years with team: 2
Sparano has done very well, with limited talent thus far in Miami. With some good additions, the Dolphins are looking up and so is Sparano's coaching future.

6. Rex Ryan (Jets)
Overall Record: 9-7
You could argue Rex is overhyped, but also you cannot argue that he is not a good head coach. Additionally, he is very popular with his players.

5. Jim Caldwell (Colts)
Overall Record: 14-2
Playoff Appearances:1
Years with Team: 1
One year, one conference championship...not bad. I understand he inherited a great team, but Tony Dungy only won one Super Bowl during his time in Indy.

4. John Harbaugh (Ravens)
Overall Record: 20-12
Years with team: 2
Two years ago, Harbaugh revived a Ravens team that Brian Billick had under .500. He had a solid second campaign as head coach last year. Harbaugh has proven to be a good head coach.

3. Mike Tomlin (Steelers)
Overall Record: 31-17
Years with team: 3
His team did miss the playoffs last year but Tomlin did win a Super Bowl prior—that alone gets him to three.

2. Jeff Fisher (Titans)
Overall Record: 136-110
Playoff Appearances: 6
Years with Team: 16
Yes, I know he missed the playoffs 10 times, but this poor guy is always left with very limited talent and a cheap owner in Bud Adams. He is the best out there at getting more with less. If Fisher were fired, he would be unemployed for about three seconds.

1. Bill Belichick (Patriots)

Overall Record: 148-92
Playoff Appearances: 8
Years with team: 8

Once again, here is a coach doing more with less. Three Super Bowl titles—that's a dynasty! A game away from an undefeated season is unthinkable in today's NFL. If you would put anybody else No. 1, well, you do not know your football.

BuddhaBus
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Can't argue with any of these. They look about right to me.

fansince'76
07-05-2010, 09:03 AM
A game away from an undefeated season is unthinkable in today's NFL.How's it unthinkable? The Colts probably could've done it this past season if they hadn't taken their foot off the gas in week 16. It's probably more "thinkable" now than back in the day - the league is more watered down now due to expansion, free agency and the salary cap than it was back in the '70s and before. And choking against the opposite conference's 5th seed in the SB after being (over)hyped as the "Greatest Team Ever" all season renders it moot anyway.

RushHard34
07-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Was Belicheck not coaching when they missed the playoffs i wanna say in 03? haha

steelpride12
07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Good analysis, can't arugue I never like Belicheat, but he knows how to win even though he is a cheater! Fisher has been with the Titans forever so the win's are expected and Tomlin a close thirds with a Super Bowl win in his second season and only missed the playoffs once!

stillers4me
07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Ok...the top 5 I get.

How can a coach be in the hot seat and be in the top 10??

11-16 shouldn't even be in the top half of the best coaches, especially after reading the writers comments. This article doesn't even make sense.

GitNoLuv
07-05-2010, 10:20 AM
So Todd Haley gets a pass because he's in a touch situation (with the Chiefs) but Mangini doesn't get one for trying to take over a Browns team that most experts say is extremely short on talent? I'm not saying Mangini is world class coach here...but the grade is hardly fair. Hoodie Junior took a playoff contender (Denver) to 8-8 and now has less talent/lesser talented staff than he started with.

Ok...the top 5 I get.

How can a coach be in the hot seat and be in the top 10??

11-16 shouldn't even be in the top half of the best coaches, especially after reading the writers comments. This article doesn't even make sense.

Because this is about the top HC in the AFC only (where there's only 16 teams). Being #9 in the AFC means you are in the lower half.

stillers4me
07-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Duh. Ok. Thank's for setting me straight. Makes more sense now.

steeldevil
07-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I question Jim Caldwell at #5. Am I the only one that wonders how much coaching he did last year? Lets see if he can continue that success before he is that high.

GitNoLuv
07-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I question Jim Caldwell at #5. Am I the only one that wonders how much coaching he did last year? Lets see if he can continue that success before he is that high.
The problem with that...who do you place above him?

steeldevil
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
The problem with that...who do you place above him?

haha... just looked at that. You are right, there isnt anybody. :doh2:

BigNastyDefense
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Fisher at #2? The guy that refused to replace a horrible Kerry Collins at QB for Vince Young, the owner made that move not Fisher,

16 years, 6 playoff appearances....that's not even making the playoffs 50% of your tenure. And when he has made them, he only made one AFC Championship Game (which he won, going on to lose to the Rams). Just because your the longest tenured head coach in the AFC doesn't mean you're the second best.

wootawnee
07-05-2010, 12:13 PM
You gotta put Payton Manning in their near the top.......After all he is the leader and coach of the colts......And their record is darn near the best in the league since.........

silver & black
07-05-2010, 12:16 PM
16. Tom Cable (Raiders)

Overall Record: 9-19
Years with team: Almost two years
The only noteworthy thing Cable has done is get himself into a possible lawsuit with an assistant coach. Nine wins in nearly two seasons won't get you many places...except last place on this list.

Cable is a joke. I'm sure this is his last year.

geo111
07-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Bill Belichick at #1?

I used to think that he was a great coach, but now I wonder how many of his past wins were due to his cheating. Known cheaters shouldn't even be in contention for the list, much less be placed at #1.

steelpride12
07-05-2010, 08:57 PM
16. Tom Cable (Raiders)

Cable is a joke. I'm sure this is his last year.
You can't complain knowing one of his 9 wins were against the Steelers!:frusty:

polamalubeast
07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
The Raiders have a record of 16-48 since 2006.

But they are 2-0 against the steelers!:no::frusty:

Godfather
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Lewis might deserve a little higher ranking. He managed occasional success with the Bengals of all teams.

Kubiak might be a little better than he's getting credit for too. He's fielded respectable teams. Problem is the AFC South is a brutal division.

HometownGal
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I just can't put Belidick* at #1 because he cheated his way into a couple of Super Bowl trophies. While I can't deny that he is a good coach, I think his dishonesty and arrogance about the enter matter bumps him down. JMHO.

I agree with Coach T at #3. :thumbsup:

Though I dislike the Rats intensely, I think John Harbaugh is a terrific coach who gets the most out of his players. His general philosophies, integrity and personality seem to mirror those of our own Coach T and I give him mad respect. Perish the thought of liking anything coming out of Baltimoronville, so I'll go throw up in my mouth. :puke:

Vincent
07-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Was Belicheck not coaching when they missed the playoffs i wanna say in 03? haha

"...when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..." Let him go. He's on a roll.

Chidi29
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
To be fair, I think the cheating is a bit overblown. Bad move on the Pats part, shouldn't have done it, but let's clear up a couple of points.

1. They didn't get in trouble for having the cameras. Just where they put them.

2. It didn't soley win them games. It's not as if anyone, like a Tom Cable, could put together a dynasty with that help.

3. Let's not act like we've never cheated before.

No problem with Belichick being #1. He's done more than enough to deserve it and to say anything else is just sour grapes IMO.

RushHard34
07-05-2010, 11:27 PM
To be fair, I think the cheating is a bit overblown. Bad move on the Pats part, shouldn't have done it, but let's clear up a couple of points.

1. They didn't get in trouble for having the cameras. Just where they put them.

2. It didn't soley win them games. It's not as if anyone, like a Tom Cable, could put together a dynasty with that help.

3. Let's not act like we've never cheated before.

No problem with Belichick being #1. He's done more than enough to deserve it and to say anything else is just sour grapes IMO.

From the words of Hines Ward, "It's like they knew the play before it even happened."

Might have butchered it a little, but you get the point...

Chidi29
07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
From the words of Hines Ward, "It's like they knew the play before it even happened."

Might have butchered it a little, but you get the point...

Again, let's not act like that was the sole reason as to why we lost. Or that we have never cheated before to try and benefit ourselves.

steelwalls
07-06-2010, 02:18 AM
Again, let's not act like that was the sole reason as to why we lost. Or that we have never cheated before to try and benefit ourselves.

Got proof of our "cheating"? If not I dont know how you can really say that. Ive heard this before "Yeah all teams do it" how the hell would anyone know that?

HometownGal
07-06-2010, 07:22 AM

No sour grapes on my part - I don't play that game.

No one will ever convince me that Belicheat*'s cheating didn't give the Pats* a huge advantage and if you look at that team since the dishonesty was exposed - they really haven't been all that impressive.

WindyCitySteelerFan
07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Sorry, I think Norv Turner deserves much higher than that, and John Harbaugh I lost total respect for, he a cry baby, like Jay Cutler. I put them in the same "cry baby" catagory.

BuddhaBus
07-06-2010, 09:39 AM
"...when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..." Let him go. He's on a roll.

Ummmm, I believe it was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor. :wink02: (There's always one right?) With comments like this, you probably had a grade point average in college of 0.0. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son. :alcoholic: :nono: :chuckle:

Chidi29
07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Got proof of our "cheating"? If not I dont know how you can really say that. Ive heard this before "Yeah all teams do it" how the hell would anyone know that?

Yup. I have proof. From Dan Rooney's book, page 74 in reference to getting the #1 pick in the 1958 draft :

"Bert Bell placed three pieces of paper, one marked in pencil with an X and the letters B-O-N-U-S, into a gray felt fedora. I stood right next to him and saw where he placed the three slips. When it came time to draw, he looked at me and said, 'Danny, you pick first.' Of course, I nabbed the bonus pick. "

Is that the most henious crime in the world? No, and I'm not acting like it is. And it's not like we got anyone good with that pick anyway. Dan later goes one to recount what an uttter disaster it was to take Gary Glick. But it's the principle of the matter. It was technically cheating no matter how you want to slice it. Either it's all ok or none of it is.

Chidi29
07-06-2010, 08:15 PM
No sour grapes on my part - I don't play that game.

No one will ever convince me that Belicheat*'s cheating didn't give the Pats* a huge advantage and if you look at that team since the dishonesty was exposed - they really haven't been all that impressive.

You'll have to take my word on this one as I can't back it up with proof, but I recall seeing on TV after the scandal broke that they lost multiple games in games where they were said to have taped signals. I think there's just so much unknown about what exactly what they did/how it was used to definitively say that was the reason for their success. They still needed clutch games from Brady and Vinitari to win.

To be fair to them, injuries have hit them hard the past couple seasons. I find it impressive that they went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

steelwalls
07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Yup. I have proof. From Dan Rooney's book, page 74 in reference to getting the #1 pick in the 1958 draft :

"Bert Bell placed three pieces of paper, one marked in pencil with an X and the letters B-O-N-U-S, into a gray felt fedora. I stood right next to him and saw where he placed the three slips. When it came time to draw, he looked at me and said, 'Danny, you pick first.' Of course, I nabbed the bonus pick. "

Is that the most henious crime in the world? No, and I'm not acting like it is. And it's not like we got anyone good with that pick anyway. Dan later goes one to recount what an uttter disaster it was to take Gary Glick. But it's the principle of the matter. It was technically cheating no matter how you want to slice it. Either it's all ok or none of it is.

lol, that compares to sysematicly tapeing the other teams to figure out what plays they are calling?

Whats with this defense of the Patriots?

Chidi29
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
lol, that compares to sysematicly tapeing the other teams to figure out what plays they are calling?

Whats with this defense of the Patriots?

...And here comes the justification.

Like I said, cheating is cheating. Could you have imgained what woudl have happened if we would have gotten someone good with that pick? Or even taking Earl Morrall, who was selected #2 overall. Or how about Lenny Moore, selected later in the first.

You wanted proof. I gave it to you. Now it isn't good enough.

I'm merely stating the fact that we shouldn't act like we've never cheated before. We have, and it was wrong Just as it was wrong for the Pats.

You knew coming into reading this that Belichick was going to be #1. You're not going to find many people who would argue otherwise. It's time to stop harping on that incident and think about why other people are able to put him at #1.

Chidi29
07-06-2010, 08:40 PM

One small edit. It was the 1956 draft. Not '58.

Canadian Steeler Nation
07-07-2010, 05:30 AM
1. Bill Belichick (Patriots)

Overall Record: 148-92
Playoff Appearances: 8
Years with team: 8

Once again, here is a coach doing more with less. Three Super Bowl titles—that's a dynasty! A game away from an undefeated season is unthinkable in today's NFL. If you would put anybody else No. 1, well, you do not know your football

And how many superbowls has this "great" head coach won since he got caught cheating.............

fansince'76
07-07-2010, 07:38 AM
...And here comes the justification.

Like I said, cheating is cheating. Could you have imgained what woudl have happened if we would have gotten someone good with that pick? Or even taking Earl Morrall, who was selected #2 overall. Or how about Lenny Moore, selected later in the first.

You wanted proof. I gave it to you. Now it isn't good enough.

I'm merely stating the fact that we shouldn't act like we've never cheated before. We have, and it was wrong Just as it was wrong for the Pats.

Did the same thing occur for 7 consecutive drafts? There's a big difference between a single incident and a continual pattern of impropriety that spans the better part of a decade.

You knew coming into reading this that Belichick was going to be #1. You're not going to find many people who would argue otherwise.

I think there are plenty of Browns fans who would beg to differ with the supposed "greatness" of Belichick as a HC, considering his 36-44 record and singlehandedly running a fan favorite in Bernie Kosar out of town while he was there.

It's time to stop harping on that incident and think about why other people are able to put him at #1.

Considering the way the whole thing was glossed over and promptly swept under the rug by Goodell, sorry, but I personally am never going to stop harping on it. He is and will continue to be a cheating POS as far as I'm concerned.

Chidi29
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Did the same thing occur for 7 consecutive drafts? There's a big difference between a single incident and a continual pattern of impropriety that spans the better part of a decade.

I think there are plenty of Browns fans who would beg to differ with the supposed "greatness" of Belichick as a HC, considering his 36-44 record and singlehandedly running a fan favorite in Bernie Kosar out of town while he was there.

Considering the way the whole thing was glossed over and promptly swept under the rug by Goodell, sorry, but I personally am never going to stop harping on it. He is and will continue to be a cheating POS as far as I'm concerned.

Again, you can try to justify it any way you want, but both FOs cheated. Could you imagine if a team did something like that today that gave them a chance at a top draft pick (Obviously with the way the rules are today, there is no bonus pick so it couldn't be exactly the same)?

I said Belichick was a great coach. Not a miracle worker. Good luck fixing Cleveland.

The Pats got hit hard in terms of a punishment if you ask me. Maximum fines and lost of a first rounder (Very valuable, especially these days).

To think that Belichick just relied on those tapes and little else is plain absurd. As if without them he'd have no idea what he was doing. As if that was the only thing the coaching staff did during that time.

You could not put Tom Cable in the same position and produce the same result.

I don't really like Belichick but I'm not naive to how brilliant he can be. Even if I feel like there shuold be thunder and lightining accompanied by cackling every time he has a press conference.

What BB did was wrong. Clearly. But there is a lot more to who he is as a coach than Spygate. That's all I'm saying.

fansince'76
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Again, you can try to justify it any way you want, but both FOs cheated. Could you imagine if a team did something like that today that gave them a chance at a top draft pick (Obviously with the way the rules are today, there is no bonus pick so it couldn't be exactly the same)?

IMO, it's still not the same. To me, that's like comparing a one-time shoplifter to a career thief.

I said Belichick was a great coach. Not a miracle worker. Good luck fixing Cleveland.

We're talking about the Cleveland Browns team that became the Baltimore Ravens, not the Cleveland Browns team that was born out of expansion in 1999. Two different animals. We're talking about the Cleveland Browns team that came within a classic Elway drive and a fumble by Earnest Byner from going to two Super Bowls not long before Belichick became their HC. That Browns team, while not great by any stretch, was still far from the hopeless mess the new Browns team has been since their inception.

The Pats got hit hard in terms of a punishment if you ask me. Maximum fines and lost of a first rounder (Very valuable, especially these days).

They had an extra first rounder to spare the year they got tagged. And fining a billionaire (Kraft) 250 grand is a joke.

To think that Belichick just relied on those tapes and little else is plain absurd. As if without them he'd have no idea what he was doing. As if that was the only thing the coaching staff did during that time.

Not saying that. What I am saying is that the margin between winning and losing is so thin in the NFL these days, it very well could have been the tiny little extra "edge" that pushed them over the top. They won 3 SBs by a FG a piece. After they were forced to knock off the illegal taping, they lost a SB by a FG to a MASSIVE underdog. Proof's in the pudding, IMO.

I don't really like Belichick but I'm not naive to how brilliant he can be.At the end of the day, the dude still got outcoached in the SB by Tom Coughlin (who spent a good part of the same season one more near-player mutiny away from the unemployment line) and a young, until-then-pretty-much-unknown defensive coordinator. IMO, he's a good coach, and that's about the extent of it. He doesn't warrant or deserve the constant fellating from the sports media he gets as being "better than Lombardi, Walsh, Noll, etc." and all the "greatest coach ever" nonsense. And I still say they unfairly benefited from the illegal taping. If they didn't, they wouldn't have continued it for seven years.

Steelerchad
07-07-2010, 06:28 PM

03, how about 08 also. You just have to go back 2 seasons for the last time the Pats missed the playoffs. Yeah, Brady was hurt and Cassel took them to 11-5. But the Dolphins won the division and they didn't get a wildcard.

So that's 2 seasons this guy missed, now I have to question the rest of his stats. I also don't think Cable is the worst coach. Raiders, worst team... Yes. I actually think the Raiders may be around 8-8 this year.

McDaniel has been a disaster after 1 year in Denver and Mangini has been real bad so far too.

fansince'76
07-07-2010, 06:35 PM
McDaniel has been a disaster after 1 year in Denver and Mangini has been real bad so far too.

Another excellent point I forgot to address - his "disciples" have been pretty much walking clusterf*cks as head coaches as well.

st33lersguy
07-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Bellicheat at #1, typical

NCSteeler
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
NO DAMN WAY. Belicheat was known for never losing to a team twice in a season. Don't ya think there was a reason for that.

You'll have to take my word on this one as I can't back it up with proof, but I recall seeing on TV after the scandal broke that they lost multiple games in games where they were said to have taped signals. I think there's just so much unknown about what exactly what they did/how it was used to definitively say that was the reason for their success. They still needed clutch games from Brady and Vinitari to win.

To be fair to them, injuries have hit them hard the past couple seasons. I find it impressive that they went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

Chidi29
07-07-2010, 08:08 PM
IMO, it's still not the same. To me, that's like comparing a one-time shoplifter to a career thief.

We're talking about the Cleveland Browns team that became the Baltimore Ravens, not the Cleveland Browns team that was born out of expansion in 1999. Two different animals. We're talking about the Cleveland Browns team that came within a classic Elway drive and a fumble by Earnest Byner from going to two Super Bowls not long before Belichick became their HC. That Browns team, while not great by any stretch, was still far from the hopeless mess the new Browns team has been since their inception.

They had an extra first rounder to spare the year they got tagged. And fining a billionaire (Kraft) 250 grand is a joke.

Not saying that. What I am saying is that the margin between winning and losing is so thin in the NFL these days, it very well could have been the tiny little extra "edge" that pushed them over the top. They won 3 SBs by a FG a piece. After they were forced to knock off the illegal taping, they lost a SB by a FG to a MASSIVE underdog. Proof's in the pudding, IMO.

At the end of the day, the dude still got outcoached in the SB by Tom Coughlin (who spent a good part of the same season one more near-player mutiny away from the unemployment line) and a young, until-then-pretty-much-unknown defensive coordinator. IMO, he's a good coach, and that's about the extent of it. He doesn't warrant or deserve the constant fellating from the sports media he gets as being "better than Lombardi, Walsh, Noll, etc." and all the "greatest coach ever" nonsense. And I still say they unfairly benefited from the illegal taping. If they didn't, they wouldn't have continued it for seven years.

But the same Browns that were a lousy 3-13 the year before Belichick became the coach.

That other first rounder came from a trade, no? Goodell wasn't able to take that away. He took away the pick that was given to them by the league. He gave out maximum fines. The 250K may be little, but Goodell couldn't fine him any more money. What do you want him to do?

Who knows how much it helped. There is so much unknown about how much it was used/when it was used/how it was used that to claim that he shouldn't be the #1 coach on the list seems silly.

Given the fact that they put together one of the greatest regular seasons a team has ever had and went 11-5 after losing their future HOF QB, Belichick is a lot more than a person who relied on tapes.

Chidi29
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
NO DAMN WAY. Belicheat was known for never losing to a team twice in a season. Don't ya think there was a reason for that.

Let me clarify.

They lost games in times they were taping signals during that game. Which leads me to believe they weren't using signals during those games. It would be a different case if they met the same team later in the season, but that wasn't what I was referring to.

They did play the Rams previously in 2001, but did not play the Panthers or Eagles previously in their following championships.

fansince'76
07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
That other first rounder came from a trade, no? Goodell wasn't able to take that away. He took away the pick that was given to them by the league. He gave out maximum fines. The 250K may be little, but Goodell couldn't fine him any more money. What do you want him to do?

A suspension of Belichick would have been a good start, considering he saw fit to suspend the Cowboys' QB coach for 5 games earlier in the same season for using HGH to help with his diabetes without distributing any of it to players.