PDA

View Full Version : Week 12 Thoughts - Chiefs vs Steelers

Chidi29
12-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Know I've been behind on this (again). With break in one week though, I have time to catch up.

First Half

- Kickoff Times: 3.63 (-9, TB), 3.10 (-7, TB), 3.85 (-2, TB). Nice job for Suisham in cold Arrowhead with three touchbacks though not doubt influenced by three line-driving kicks.

- Saw Kevin Colbert trying to break up the pre-game skirmish, too, ha.

- Part of the Chiefs' early success running the ball came from quick snaps. Didn't let our defense get set.

- Heyward rotated on Chiefs' opening drive, likely because of KC's fast tempo. Playing time on defense has been limited lately.

- Interesting to note there was no up back on Sanders' kick returns. Usually it's Redman but no one was there, first time I had seen it all year.

- Ward started game as lone WR.

- Starting o-line: Starks, Legursky, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

- Ran the same fake FB dive on opening possession twice. Rarely do anything out of Pony but those dives so nice job of mixing it up.

- Don't forget that Wallace dropped a TD in the back of the end zone early in the game. Would've obviously helped his numbers.

- Can't turn it over in the redzone as Moore did on his fumble. Very disappointing.

- Jet sweep to Brown showed up again.

- Tried to run a slant/corner route with Brown and Sanders on 3rd and goal. But Sanders actually is the one who gets picked by the CB covering the slant and the pass falls incomplete.

- Say what you want about Palko's throw, obviously it was bad, but Mundy came away with an INT on a defense that only had a few takeaways coming into the game. Defense finally forcing turnovers in usual fashion, as we've seen against Cincy and the Browns in the following weeks.

- Kemoeatu came in with 13:20 left in 2nd.

- If I hadn't known Pouncey was sick, I would've assumed he as fine. Played well for a guy who was dry heaving on the sidelines and lost 12 pounds in a few days.

- Congrats to Wes Saunders for his first career touchdowns. Another example of Ben's smarts/going through progressions. Saunders not 1st, 2nd, and even probably 3rd read on play but Ben knew where to find him. Great pass and catch.

- Ben getting away from the LB. Olay!

http://i42.tinypic.com/15ocs34.png

- Communication issues at loud Arrowhead. Broke huddle with 12 once, had 12 men on the field on another play.

- I don't think the Al Michaels "East Germany" comment was directed directly at the Steelers. It seemed to be more in general about concussions with him saying, "that sort of stuff" meaning head injuries.

- Nice response from Moore after his fumble. Couple of decent runs and broken tackles.

- Smart decision not to throw the ball by Brown on his end around. If it isn't there, don't test it and he didn't.

- Nice job by Suisham to nail a 49 yarder at the end of the half.

Second Half

- Ben's INT down the right sideline. Safety saw Brown on outside release, rolled over. That was a bigger influence than Ben trying to look him off.

- Chris Carter injured his hamstring on punt coverage with 8:48 left in 3rd. Picture of him grabbing left hamstring as he comes off thr field.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ylnt34.png

- Done a couple of semi-sprintouts to the right, screen back to the left plays to Wallace. Just another wrinkle in the screen game.

- What hurt Starks the most against Hali was actually the inside move . Worried so much about the speed rush that once he moves inside, Starks has to hold to recover or get beat entirely. I remember commenting on the same about Flozell Adams last year, specifically against the Saints.

- "Flozell Adams really struggled with down blocking and keeping guys from getting inside of him in pass protection"

- Hate the hard count on 4th and 4. Really wasting a potentially critical second half timeout.

- Allen and Brown your gunners.

- Barry Richardson was abused by Worilds and Hood.

- Kind of obvious KC was running a fake punt. Colquitt shifted pre-snap away from normal location.

- Nice job by the DBs like Ike and Gay to sacrifice their bodies to keep run plays tot he inside. Taking on cut/lead blocks from FBs and WRs. Doesn't show up on stat sheet but equally important as the tackles. Gay got his bell rung pretty good on one play, too where the FB collided with him helmet to helmet.

- On a 3rd and 2 mid way through the 4th, where Battle ran into a pulling TE and fell to the ground, Keisel made play possible by getting penetration and forcing TE to take a wider angle.

http://i39.tinypic.com/zvx36c.png

- According to Al Michaels, Ben has been blitzed more than any other QB (44%).

- Huge tackle by William Gay on 3rd and 6 with 1:55 left on screen to Bowe. Their screens worked well all day vs us but not there. Despite the fact they picked up thr 4th down conversion, it was still a big play at the time.

- How about Keisel running down McCluster on a swing pass after being sent on an inside stunt? Remember Ziggy running down Ray Rice a few weeks ago? Couple of athleitc lineman with great hustle.

- Jared Gaither. In for one play, false starts, taken out, cut the next day. Ouch.

- Mundy certainly isn't Troy but we still line him up in multiple positions/fronts like Troy (just without all the crazy pre-snap movement). Bring him down against heavy set run packages, have him line up like a nickelback, and play him in a Cover 2 shelll when need be. Not a bad game and like I've said in the past, comfortable with him as a backup.

- Legursky didn't get much of a push in run/pass blocking. Again, struggled getting to 2nd level.

- Nice moment between Tomlin and who appears to be Bill Muir, the Bucs o-line coach during Tomlin's stint with Tampa.

http://i41.tinypic.com/23ud445.png

Sacks

- 2nd and 18, :57 left in 1st. 11, shotgun. Chiefs bring 4. Ball snapped right before playclock hits zero so Chiefs can pin their ears back. Foster's punch to inside lets DT come upfiled and with Poncey sliding to his left, DT has an open lane. Foster's feet don't slide on his punch either.

Sack Counter (Game)

Ramon Foster: 1

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 7
Max Starks: 3.5
Chris Kemoeatu: 3
Marcus Gilbert: 3
Ramon Foster: 3
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 2.5
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Maurkice Pouncey: 1
Willie Colon: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Austin87
12-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Good stuff.

Count Steeler
12-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Appreciate your work Chidi.

tube517
12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
- Saw Kevin Colbert trying to break up the pre-game skirmish, too, ha.

Colbert will get a fedex letter in the mail from the commish :chuckle:

Good stuff, Chidi. Enjoy your break.

crcsnail
12-10-2011, 11:03 AM
my favourite post :)