PDA

View Full Version : Will Roethlisberger rest before the playoffs?

polamalubeast
12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
I think this question must be asked.

The Steelers do not control their division and has a good chance that the Ravens win their last four games. Maybe the last three games of the steelers will mean nothing in the standings.

Do the Steelers have conceded the division title to the Ravens for resting Roethlisberger before the playoffs?

I think it might be so, especially if the Ravens win against the Colts and Chargers.

polamalubeast
12-09-2011, 08:55 AM
(Peter King) has "doubts" that #PIT #Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger will play against the #SF #49ers in #Week15

Godfather
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I would let him sit. The Rats have four easy games left.

We can probably make the playoffs at 10-6, and being the 6 seed might be better than being the 5. The 5 has to open at Denver. That means playing in the thin air, and if you let them hang around until the fourth quarter you'll get Tebowed.

The Duke
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Simply put, no

Tomlin already said it, we just gotta keep winning. You do not concede your division with four games to be played. "A good chance" means nothing in this league

polamalubeast
12-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Simply put, no

Tomlin already said it, we just gotta keep winning. You do not concede your division with four games to be played. "A good chance" means nothing in this league

It will remain only 2 game for the Ravens before the steelers play against the 49ers.

Edman
12-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Nope. He can't afford to.

With Batch or Dixon, our season is dead in the water.

polamalubeast
12-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I would let him sit. The Rats have four easy games left.

We can probably make the playoffs at 10-6, and being the 6 seed might be better than being the 5. The 5 has to open at Denver. That means playing in the thin air, and if you let them hang around until the fourth quarter you'll get Tebowed.

The steelers are able to beat the Rams at home without Roethlisberger!

A record of 11-5 secure the 5th seed!

86WARD
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
No. No. No.

BigNastyDefense
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
No. The Ravens can lose two of their last four games (Chargers and Bengals). We need to win out. A 10-6 record doesn't guarantee us a playoff spot this year. I'd rather win out so we don't have to worry about needed so-and-so to win so we just make the playoffs.

Now if we clinch a playoff spot & the Ravens were to clinch the division, I can see us resting Ben. But until both of those things happen, he's going to play as long as he's medically cleared.

zulater
12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Basically it all comes down to the MRI. If there's extensive ligament damage surgery is a possibility. But even without surgery that was a serious ass sprain, and I really don't see Ben playing next Monday night. And if we lose that game, you're all but eliminated from winning the division so there's no sense rushing him back for the Rams game in Pittsburgh. Even crappy Charlie, with a week to game plan away from his liabilities, can probably beat the Rams in Heinz, so get that 11th win and you've got the 5 seed locked up. Sit Ben against the Browns in the season finale and you have a relatively healthy qb heading into Texas or Denver to beat Yates of Tebow. Works for me.

btw

I absolutely agree with letting Ben play last night as long as he was able and willing. Because that 10th win, ( 8th conference win) all but assured the Steelers a playoff berth. That was the game we had to win. Now we have, let Ben get healthy for the playoff run ahead.

suitanim
12-09-2011, 10:20 AM
The Rats were barely able to beat the Bengals at home. I have them losing that game in Cinci.

And they are inconsistent on the road. I think it would take an act of God for Ben to sit out against the 49ers. He has 4 extra days that he normally would not have to rest (F, Sat, Sun this week and Sunday next week since it's a MNF game). He will be ready.

The only way I see him resting is if we lose to SF and the Rats win their next 3. Then it won't matter if we are 12-4 (since the best outcome we could hope for is a Baltimore loss in Cinci and they have the tie breaker) or 11-5, since we will most likely wind up with the 5th seed either way. Then he'd rest against Cleveland.

But until then, he must play and we must win every game. The difference is possibly homefield throughout, versus only possibly having one home game in the playoffs and that's if the 6 seed wins a couple games...highly unlikely...

steelerdude15
12-09-2011, 11:37 AM
We all know he won't sit up, he has to have one foot in the grave for him not to play.

X-Terminator
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
You would have to break Ben's leg to keep him off the field. If he can walk/limp, he'll be suiting up.

steelerdude15
12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
You would have to break Ben's leg to keep him off the field. If he can walk/limp, he'll be suiting up.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381300_10150468725021649_578901648_8898520_1515824 249_n.jpg

No, no, no, he'll be out there in a wheelchair. :lol:

steelreserve
12-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Good thing that Thursday night game gives us 10 days to rest before the next one. He might not miss any time at all. Which is good, because we still need to win every game. We've still got a real chance at a bye -- all that has to happen is the Ravens screw up once. We ought to win the rest of our games. Do you know how huge a bye would be?

Hopefully what we do see next week is more of the strategy that protects Ben -- run the ball as much as you can, throw a lot of quick passes. We'll do OK with that against the 49ers; they don't have an offense, so we don't need to score very many points. Then it's just mopping up the Rams and Browns. Hopefully the game is decided well enough that Ben can take a quarter or two off in those ones.

suitanim
12-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Good thing that Thursday night game gives us 10 days to rest before the next one. He might not miss any time at all. Which is good, because we still need to win every game. We've still got a real chance at a bye -- all that has to happen is the Ravens screw up once. We ought to win the rest of our games. Do you know how huge a bye would be?

Hopefully what we do see next week is more of the strategy that protects Ben -- run the ball as much as you can, throw a lot of quick passes. We'll do OK with that against the 49ers; they don't have an offense, so we don't need to score very many points. Then it's just mopping up the Rams and Browns. Hopefully the game is decided well enough that Ben can take a quarter or two off in those ones.

All we need to do in SF is win like 10-7. A win is a win is a win. And I think that's exactly the kind of game we should try to play...Rats beat 'em 16-6 in Baltimore...

7willBheaven
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
No. The Ravens can lose two of their last four games (Chargers and Bengals). We need to win out. A 10-6 record doesn't guarantee us a playoff spot this year. I'd rather win out so we don't have to worry about needed so-and-so to win so we just make the playoffs.

Now if we clinch a playoff spot & the Ravens were to clinch the division, I can see us resting Ben. But until both of those things happen, he's going to play as long as he's medically cleared.

Took the words right outta my mouth. Obviously Ben's health is important...but if hes good to go/etc...he's playing, end of story!

tube517
12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I think we can beat SF but it will be close. What is scary is Suisham will be needed.

I think the Ratbirds will have a tough game in SD and in Cincy. 13-3 for them will be very tough.

polamalubeast
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Without Roethlisberger, his would be very surprising if the Steelers win against the 49ers.

The 49ers have the best run defense in the nfl and they have not even given a rushing TD this year!

ALLD
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Football players play football on Sunday. I say we try an end around with Wallace against the 49ers.

Crow-Magnon
12-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I highly doubt it. Unless the docs say nay, Ben will play. Barring something incomprehensible, by 4:00 PM Sunday, Baltimore and Pittsburgh will be 10-3, with the Ravens in control of the AFCN. I can't conceive of anything keeping Roethlisberger off the field, other than the physician putting his foot down (pun intended) and telling Tomlin "No way, no how."

Count Steeler
12-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Without Roethlisberger, his would be very surprising if the Steelers win against the 49ers.

The 49ers have the best run defense in the nfl and they have not even given a rushing TD this year!

Not much of a chance that we will be scoring a rushing TD, especially if we get the ball at the 1 yard line.

suitanim
12-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Run to set up the play action pass...we only need to hit on a couple big plays.

Craic
12-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Guys (and gals)

We need to face the facts here. Roethlisberger is hurt. He has a bad thumb, a bad foot, and now a bad ankle.

That means he's going to probably play every game, get us into the playoffs, then leave us sitting in our seats saying, "How did he freaken pull that off?" (Well, I think Suit and a couple others around here may be a bit more explicit :chuckle: )

BlacknGoldBabe
12-10-2011, 06:01 AM
One piece of advice.....never underestimate the underdogs to play the role of spoilers. ANY team out there with a losing record is just looking for the chance to say that they had a hand in knocking so-and-so out of the playoffs. It seems they always find the "gumption" to hang in there with the better teams. Cleveland hung tough, and SF isn't going to roll over and play dead, either.

The good thing is that Ben has a longer than normal time period to mend up a little bit. He's not one of those sissy QB's that can't play through a hangnail. Hell, he's managed to play through the OL's lack of ability to stop a rush. Plus, the rest of our injured players get the chance to rest up too. A little extra time can do wonders.

GBMelBlount
12-10-2011, 06:10 AM
See how he heals but more than likely rest him.....

However if Baltimore loses a game....

HometownGal
12-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Simply put, no

Spot on Duke. If Ben, the coaches and the docs feel Ben can play without further injuring that ankle, I say let him play. There is no guarantee that we are going to be in the playoffs at this point and Ben behind center gives us the best chance of making those playoffs.

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 06:16 AM
An MRI taken on Friday revealed the injury which the Post-Gazette described as not being of the Grade 3 (or most severe) variety.

Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, told the newspaper that the veteran quarterback has his left foot in a walking boot and "will need rest."

Unfortunately for the Steelers, Roethlisberger wasn't the only offensive starter to reportedly suffer a high-ankle sprain during Thursday night's win.

read more

¸

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7337515/report-ben-roethlisberger-maurkice-pouncey-pittsburgh-steelers-high-ankle-sprains

Austin87
12-10-2011, 07:02 AM
We need him against the 49ers. Our season is hanging in the balance.

86WARD
12-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I don't know about the season hanging in the balance...but yeah...they'll need him to beat the Niners. They aren't a joke...

stillers4me
12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Guys (and gals)

We need to face the facts here. Roethlisberger is hurt. He has a bad thumb, a bad foot, and now a bad ankle.

That means he's going to probably play every game, get us into the playoffs, then leave us sitting in our seats saying, "How did he freaken pull that off?" (Well, I think Suit and a couple others around here may be a bit more explicit :chuckle: )

Here we come, Indy! :lol:

Moose
12-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I also say if Ben is cleared to play--he plays !! He's our franchise QB and he gives us the best chance to get to play-offs, which at this time, we aren't secured a spot. So, we still have to play every game as a 'must win' in order to get a play-off spot, Baltimore can still get beat a game or two, so we want to be able to capitalize on their losses. And with S.F. being the toughest game, which is the next one, if Ben is able to play that game, he'll be able to play the remainders.

zulater
12-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Here's the question that I would ask. If Ben keeps playing will he ever get close to full health, and would Ben at 75% be good enough to win in the playoffs against teams like the Ravens and Patriots? I mean we saw how hobbled he was against the Browns. He had trouble making some handoffs, and couldn't step into many of his throws. That might work in the short term, but can you beat elite teams with Ben playing at a significantly diminished capacity?

So here's my premise. Say sitting Ben out the next 3 games makes him 95% healthy for the wildcard game. Does anyone really think the Steelers couldn't handle the Texans down to their 3rd string qb, or the Tebows out in Denver with a healthy Ben.

So now you win that game, and take momentum and a healthy Ben into Baltimore or New England. I like our chances.

So yes Ben can probably play the next couple weeks. But if he does will he ever come close to being healthy for the playoffs?

I really think that's where the focus should be.

Shoes
12-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Guys (and gals)

I agree.....take a mud bath Ben and get out there and win! :chuckle:

steel striker
12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
As much as I would like to see Ben rest that ankle we need him to beat the niners. They have a good defense and, the game should be very close. As we know Ben will play as long as he can limp/hobble ect. I have never seen a qb as tough as Ben is. For some reason I think the chargers are going to give the ravens a tough game and, maybe pull off the upset. Cryme a River is do for a breakout game agaist a good team. High ankle sprains are very painful but, our Ben seems to be able to play through just about any injury. I just hope that his ankle does not get hurt anymore than it is. Maybe it is time for some trick plays to help out the situation.

The WH
12-10-2011, 02:13 PM
If the Steelers clinch that playoffs spot this sunday through those odd ways listed in the other thread. Rest him. Sure he's tough, but you can only get hurt so many times before something ends up cutting your career clock down severely. Screw Division crowns. That big silvery one at the end is the goal.

Lest we not forget we have one of the best T-E-A-M-S in the league. This team does not fall apart without our franchise QB.

zulater
12-10-2011, 02:27 PM
If the Steelers clinch that playoffs spot this sunday through those odd ways listed in the other thread. Rest him. Sure he's tough, but you can only get hurt so many times before something ends up cutting your career clock down severely. Screw Division crowns. That big silvery one at the end is the goal.

Lest we not forget we have one of the best T-E-A-M-S in the league. This team does not fall apart without our franchise QB.

All we need is one more win and we're in, no questions about it. Given the worst our conference record could be is 8-4 we could probably get in if we lost out. If playing Ben prevents him from being fully healthy for the playoffs, then we need to sit him for as long as it takes imo.

Craic
12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
All we need is one more win and we're in, no questions about it. Given the worst our conference record could be is 8-4 we could probably get in if we lost out. If playing Ben prevents him from being fully healthy for the playoffs, then we need to sit him for as long as it takes imo.

Alright, all kidding aside (for me). I think that IF Ben can go, he needs to play next week and the week after. If we are secured a playoff spot (aren't we already? I'm too lazy to do the math right now) AND we are not looking like we'll get a bye week in the first round of hte playoffs, then we sit him the last week of the reg. season. Or, better yet, send him out for two series, then sit him. I agree he needs to get healthy. But he also needs to not get rusty AND I'd rather see him stay at home and play football.

Count Steeler
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Not scared of the Niners'. With or without Ben. If Batch starts, he should be good for a few completions. The O Line will have to step up and make some holes for Mendy and Redman. The D is certainly solid and should be good for a few INT and maybe even a pick 6.

I can see us beating them 16-10. Not pretty, but we aren't pretty.

The WH
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Alright, all kidding aside (for me). I think that IF Ben can go, he needs to play next week and the week after. If we are secured a playoff spot (aren't we already? I'm too lazy to do the math right now) AND we are not looking like we'll get a bye week in the first round of hte playoffs, then we sit him the last week of the reg. season. Or, better yet, send him out for two series, then sit him. I agree he needs to get healthy. But he also needs to not get rusty AND I'd rather see him stay at home and play football.

Before we start taking each other out of context. Am I coming off as an advocate of Ben sitting regardless of injury if we secure a playoff spot?
I think the only situation he sits out is if he is injured. If he's healthy, and being shotup with enough cortozone that he looks like a blowfish doesn't count, he should play.

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Not scared of the Niners'. With or without Ben. If Batch starts, he should be good for a few completions. The O Line will have to step up and make some holes for Mendy and Redman. The D is certainly solid and should be good for a few INT and maybe even a pick 6.

I can see us beating them 16-10. Not pretty, but we aren't pretty.

We must not underestimate the 49ers. Their defense is amazing and they have lots of talent.Frank Gore is a very good RB.

The 49ers are also first for the turnovers differencial (+18) and also the first for create turnovers(28).

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/18374161/33724545

PITTSBURGH clinches playoff berth with:
1) WIN vs CLE + CIN loss + NYJ loss + TEN loss
2) WIN vs CLE+ CIN loss + TEN loss + OAK loss + DEN loss
3) WIN vs CLE + CIN loss + NYJ loss + OAK loss + DEN loss

SteelGhost
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
If Ben doesn't play against the 9'ers, we will lose, I don't trust Botch at all :nono:

This offseason the FO has to do something about getting a decent backup QB, Batch has to retire ASAP, Dixon and Leftwich are too damn fragile IMHO

The WH
12-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Why is everyone hating on Charlie Batch all of a sudden? He's been one of the most reliable backup QB's in the league. Every time he has been asked to step in *to start a game* he has performed completely up to par.

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Why is everyone hating on Charlie Batch all of a sudden? He's been one of the most reliable backup QB's in the league. Every time he has been asked to step in *to start a game* he has performed completely up to par.

I remember before the game against the buccaners in 2010, nobody believed that Batch would do 100 yards by the pass!

But it has now very old!

SteelGhost
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Not hating from me, it's a fact Charlie is too old and injury prone now and we need younger blood at QB when Ben can't play :yup:

The WH
12-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Not hating from me, it's a fact Charlie is too old and injury prone now and we need younger blood at QB when Ben can't play :yup: i don't think he's really deserving of the name Botch though....

The WH
12-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I remember before the game against the buccaners in 2010, nobody believed that Batch would do 100 yards by the pass!

But it has now very old!

Are you running what you are saying through google translate or something?

he threw 3 touchdowns and posted a passer rating of 106 in that game.

SteelGhost
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
i don't think he's really deserving of the name Botch though....

Ok, ok, ok, I didn't want to be mean, in fact I like him, but I think he must retire and the team signs a better backup QB