PDA

View Full Version : Some random game thoughts - Steelers-Browns 12/8/11

Steelman
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Steelers, 14 - Browns, 3

That's gotta be one of the toughest win I've seen in awhile, Browns or no Browns. All things considered, we're pretty lucky to get out of tonight in one relative piece. We're definitely gonna need those extra days to prepare for San Fran.

Big Ben, the legend grows - As much as I believe in the guy, I really thought it was all over after seeing that injury replay. Just nasty. That left ankle and foot got twisted into an ungodly position, and with the way he was tackled over the top, I thought for sure he tore up his knee too. My heart nearly leapt when I saw him warming up with a helmet on after the half. He's one tough SOB. Not that I had any doubts before, but wow. I would wager that he single-handedly willed us this win.

Kemo - I realize we got some BS penalty calls, but Kemo's head was somewhere back in Samoa. He needs some doghouse time. The standard was dropped in the mud, you gotta come in and play better than that. I know he's a good mauler, but surely we can conjure up a smarter LG in the draft. But we won't.

Antonio Brown has become our electric spark. That juke he pulled on his run to gain the inside track to the endzone was amazing. If Sanders can heal up, we'll have one of the best young trios in football.

12 penalties. Doesn't matter if some of them were BS, you can't do that. We were starting to look like Detroit for a minute there. Dumb stuff like that won't fly in San Fran next week, or in the playoffs. Game killers.

Harrison is gonna be facing a stiff fine and I'm sure Roger G. Fuehrer will be considering a suspension. I loved the hit, to be honest, but he could have lowered the boom better and still rung McCoy's bell just fine. If he does get suspended, we're gonna need Woodley back ASAP.

For all the Willie Gay haters, he's been playing well. He dropped an easy INT early, but picked up the game-clincher late.

Mendenhall had a "better" game, minus the standup comedy on the goal line. He's got all the tools, but apparently lacks motivation. I haven't quite figured him out. I still cringe every time I see him hold the ball the way he does. Eek. I'm glad we have Redman to back him up.

Speaking of fumbles, is Hines really aging? Those two TO's hurt. I love Heath, but he tried for a little too much on that play. Hold on to the ball, guys. We would have been up 21-3 without those turnovers.

Can we give Batch more reps this week, you know, just in case? And then make a sticky note about signing a better backup QB?

I liked the usage of Johnson on our long drive. 10+ minutes? We produced an egg there, but if we did that twice a game, our D would start looking younger in a hurry.

Can we install new ankles in Ben and Pouncey? Pouncey's gotta rest that ankle up, we need him.

Holy frick on Clark pulling Troy's arm/shoulder back into place. Shewt.

I would think the smart strategy now would be to sit Ben next week against the Niners, since it's not a AFC game. But envisioning Batch out there scares me. See comment about new backup QB. I know Ben will want to continue to tough it out, but will it be worth it? As Keisel said, everybody's nursing something at this point in the season.

zulater
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Ramon Foster deserves credit for going out there on a gimpy ankle and playing a pretty decent game.