PDA

View Full Version : We need a new backup QB immediately

steelreserve
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Seriously. Not next season. Not as someone to sit behind Batch and/or Dixon just in case. Right the fuck now, for the last 25% of THIS season and hopefully beyond. If not, let's draft one in about the 3rd or 4th round who does not suck two dicks at the same time.

Doesn't have to be great. Doesn't even have to be above-average. But if you saw how badly the offense functioned under Batch - which is really nothing new - there's really no point to having him as a backup. The ball doesn't move. We don't even have a chance. Our starting QB goes down, we have basically zero chance of beating anyone except maybe the bottom-feeders of the league. Why even have a backup QB then?

I know, I know. Anyone we could sign now wouldn't know the offense. What difference does that make? You can't do any worse than that performance tonight. Which sadly is just about every game with Batch, except that one lucky one against Tampa Bay. Charlie, I love you, but you just can't get it done anymore.

SteelerEmpire
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Batch was ineffective in relief, failing to complete either of his two passes while taking a sack. If Ben goes down, we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO screwed.

stillers4me
12-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Hopefully, Leftwich can still get still show he's got something in training camp next year.

I dson't think Charlie is a bad backup, we just don't have the oline for him. And today, with Pouncy out,too, the whole thing got "blowed up" on him.

steelreserve
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
It's not just that he was ineffective. I've seen that before and I can deal with it.

I know people are going to jump down my throat for bringing this up -- "OMG HE HAD ONE BAD GAME, CUT HIM!! ROLL-EYE SMILEY!! YOU'D BE COMPLAINING UNLESS HE CAME IN AND THREW FOR 400 YARDS AND 5 TDS, AND YOU'D STILL BITCH THAT HE SHOULD HAVE THROWN 6 TDS!! LET'S CUT BEN AND TROY TOO WHILE WE'RE AT IT!! SHEESH STEELERS FANS, ROLL-EYE SMILEY"

But ... no. This did not look like a performance from a guy who was just having a bad game. It was a performance from a guy who looked completely overmatched. There is a HUGE difference. We have no chance to win a game like that.

BigNastyDefense
12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
If we had a solid offensive line, Batch would be an effective enough backup. Problem is, he's fragile and not that elusive. Behind this line, he's like fine crystal, hit it and it breaks.

I have no desire to bring back any of the backup QB's currently on the Steelers. Leftwich is about as fragile as Batch (if not more), Batch is too old and doesn't work well behind this offensive line, and I have no faith whatsoever in Dixon.

Steelman
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
What gets me is how can Seneca Wallace come in and look better than McCoy on his one play, but Batch come in and look totally overwhelmed? That tells me we're in big trouble if Ben does go down.

steelreserve
12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
What gets me is how can Seneca Wallace come in and look better than McCoy on his one play, but Batch come in and look totally overwhelmed? That tells me we're in big trouble if Ben does go down.

That's why we need a different backup. There are always about a half-dozen guys hanging around who you know are just mediocre journeymen, but they're not horrible. Jeff Garcia just got signed by the Texans the other day, for example. Not that I'd be advocating him specifically, just there are guys in that neighborhood of talent and we'd be well-advised to pick one up. I have no faith in either of the ones we have.

Merchant
12-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't know. Batch looked good, especially in the Tampa game, when Ben was suspended last season. I think it's unfair to judge him off his performance tonight. He was clearly rusty as hell and caught off guard. Plus the play calling was a bit suspect. On 3rd and 3 from the 10 yard line I thought for sure it'd be something quick, and then I see all the receivers running 20+ yards down the field..

GodfatherofSoul
12-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Batch has been good enough in the past when he stayed healthy, but they obviously had no faith in him today. Seems like he wasn't prepared at all which is amazing when you consider how long he's been here. Regardless, we've got two brittle, old backup QBs who've proven this year that we need new options.

steelreserve
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't know. Batch looked good, especially in the Tampa game, when Ben was suspended last season. I think it's unfair to judge him off his performance tonight. He was clearly rusty as hell and caught off guard. Plus the play calling was a bit suspect. On 3rd and 3 from the 10 yard line I thought for sure it'd be something quick, and then I see all the receivers running 20+ yards down the field..

None of those are any excuse. If you're going to be a quarterback in the NFL, even a backup, you'd damn well better be ready to play, and you'd better be able to do so with some effectiveness.

He's too slow and fragile to play behind our offensive line? Why is he the backup, then.

Not suited for our offensive scheme? Why is he the backup, then.

It's not that he just happens to be the backup, and the fact that he doesn't work well with our scheme and personnel is nobody's fault. You're the coach or the front office, you go and you fix shit like that before it gets like it is in Indy.

smokin3000gt
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
to be fair, it doesn't help when he hits someone on the gloves, and they drop the ball. I think he is a fine back up but they need to practice him a little more.

BigNastyDefense
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
to be fair, it doesn't help when he hits someone on the gloves, and they drop the ball. I think he is a fine back up but they need to practice him a little more.

In the NFL, backup QB's aren't going to get much practice if there isn't a quarterback competition or the starter is missing a lot of time between games due to injury. With Ben being limited the past couple weeks with his thumb, Batch was getting more practice snaps than normal.

The problem with Batch being the backup is that he isn't very good coming off of the bench. His game against Tampa Bay last year, he was taking the starter's snaps all week and the game plan was built around his abilities. But coming cold off of the bench, he isn't effective.

steel9guy
12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Batch kinda got thrown into the situation. Look at what he did last year when he was prepared. He looked bad tonight but he only had a few snaps to work with. I think he would've done good after a few series. I think Batch is a good second stringer.

venom
12-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Hi this is Donovan , may I help you ? lol

HometownGal
12-09-2011, 06:00 AM
As I've always said - I love Charlie to pieces but I am not and never have been impressed with him as a QB. Every time he comes in to relieve Ben, my stomach does the Macarena. :horror: Yes - we do need a reliable backup now especially since Lefty is out for the season. I'd like to hang on to Lefty next season but with his injury prone history, I'm kind of on the fence right now.

43Hitman
12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
As I've always said - I love Charlie to pieces but I am not and never have been impressed with him as a QB. Every time he comes in to relieve Ben, my stomach does the Macarena. :horror: Yes - we do need a reliable backup now especially since Lefty is out for the season. I'd like to hang on to Lefty next season but with his injury prone history, I'm kind of on the fence right now.

Exactly! Batch should have never been brought back this year. If Ben is out for any amount of time, and Batch has to take the reins, we're forked.

86WARD
12-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Lol...been saying that for a little while now...like 2 years...

Moose
12-09-2011, 08:05 AM
First of all, in Batch's favor, I really don't want to dis our Offensive line. I think our Offensive line is pretty damn good ( or course we need some players here and there as always), but the style of QB that Ben is sometimes makes our OL looks suspect. It's hard to hold the opponents D back for the amount of time Ben is moving around looking to make the play..which is a reason for many of the sacks...if he was a 3 second passer than the OL would look good. With that being said, Batch coming into the game cold, only taking a few snaps at practices has to be really tough. But I do agree to the fact that as a back-up you aren't going to be getting all the snaps you'd like, so you have to do things on your own to make sure you are ready to play when called upon, which could be at any second. I like the person that Batch is, but I do think his time has come. I think the FO will be looking into our situation, especially going into the play-offs. I really don't think our FO is like Indy's and just focus on 1 QB, which is proven with our situation of having 3 hanging around.

SteelerEmpire
12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi this is Donovan , may I help you ? lol

No better time to give McNabb a call than right now, and that's the darn truth. He should be in the "I have something to prove now since I got cut from the Vikes mode", so he should be "highly motivated". McNabb is a good scrambler which would fit well behind this type of offensive line. And in addition, we came 1 hair away from having to put in Hines Ward at QB last night with "Brittle Batch" back there.

cold-hard-steel
12-09-2011, 08:07 AM
I think his record as a starter for us is not that bad at all.I would rather have him than anyone you can pick up off the street.If he were that bad,he would be on the street too.If he is our starter for a spell,i stand behind him.If it has to come to that,then "go get em Charlie!!!!",i will be behind you all the way,as sure as your team will be also.

Moose
12-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Sorry, McNabb looks good right where he's at. I'll take my chances with Charlie before McNabb. There's a reason McNabb is outside looking in.

steelerdude15
12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/favre-head-down.jpg

:chuckle:

T&B fan
12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
time for Charlie to hold the clip board with out a uniform on . he looked like shit last night , and in the clean up in the cincy game .

Edman
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
We would be fine with Leftwich, but the dude's problem is that he can't stay healthy.

Batch, I like the things he does, he's a great teammate, but the dude can't do it anymore. Sorry, Charlie.

Dixon just plain sucks.

The Steelers REALLY need a viable backup Quarterback. Someone who can come in and manage the game and make a few effective plays.

whodat1
12-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Batch is not the best QB in the game, but he is a decent backup. The problem as I see it is not that Batch is the backup, but that he is the only backup. Any team making a run at the playoffs should have at least 2 QB backups on the squad. I'll sum this up in one word... Texans!

The Duke
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Too bad most of the quarterbacks I wanted them to draft next year are now projected to be 2-3 round picks

Maybe they'll find a gem later, but something has to be done

86WARD
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
...and the free agent list for 2012 is horrific...lol.

steelreserve
12-09-2011, 12:10 PM
First off, I have to say for 2012, I am NOT really counting on Leftwich as a viable option. Sucks, because I feel like if he's in there, he actually gives us a fighting chance at winning any game, even against good opponents. But Leftwich has been injured too much to depend on; your backup QB actually needs to be available in order do any good. Just like Sepulveda, it would work out great if he stayed healthy - but if you count on him and then he gets injured, you're left in an even worse bind than before and scrambling for an answer.

As for who we should get - we don't need someone with impeccable credentials. Just someone who's been around for a few years and doesn't panic. He doesn't have tob e the kind of QB who can take over a game; he doesn't even have to be consistent. Inconsistent is a huge step up from consistently bad. There are several guys every year in that category who end up as cheap free agents. Just scanning the list quickly, Shaun Hill, Chad Henne, A.J. Feeley, guys like that. If you can get someone who's been a starter before like Jason Campbell or David Garrard, even better, though you'd have to be lucky.

Yes, there are a lot of questionable names I'm throwing out there. Unfortunately, our own guys are even more questionable.

XxKnightxX
12-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I just find it ironic how our Starting QB gets sprained ankles, foots, separated shoulders and broken noses and comes in to play the next series. Yet we have 2 backups that one hit and their arm wrist and ankle are broken. Red Flag for sure.

fansince'76
12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/favre-head-down.jpg

http://hiphopnc.com/files/2010/12/brett-favre-superman-1.gif

tube517
12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
http://hiphopnc.com/files/2010/12/brett-favre-superman-1.gif

http://www.dailyshizz.com/shizz/brett-favre-dirty-text.jpg

Count Steeler
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Any Arena Football League QBs worth a look?

I hope we draft a QB in the 3rd/4th round next year. And NOT a running QB.

steelreserve
12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.dailyshizz.com/shizz/brett-favre-dirty-text.jpg

Hmm ... more to the point:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/favrecopy.jpg

stillers4me
12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Batch is not the best QB in the game, but he is a decent backup. The problem as I see it is not that Batch is the backup, but that he is the only backup. Any team making a run at the playoffs should have at least 2 QB backups on the squad. I'll sum this up in one word... Texans!

Leftwich was our backup until he went on IR. It was supposed to Leftwich, then Dixon. Charlie got saved when when Lefty got hurt. They obviously have zero confidence in Dixon stepping in since he is routinely on the inactive list on a weekly basis.

If Ben can't play the 49er's, it will be Batch and Dixon. :horror:

This is one of those times I wish they would cange the IR rule. I bet Leftwich is ready to play if needed, but he can't.

Austin87
12-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I think Batch should hang it up after the season.

HometownGal
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I think Batch should hang it up after the season.

Imho he should have hung it up several years ago. He's more coach material than QB material.

86WARD
12-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Imho he should have hung it up several years ago. He's more coach material than QB material.

QFT!! He's nice to have around...not as a player.

zulater
12-10-2011, 09:01 AM
If no team offers Kyle Orton an opportunity to start I'd love to see the Steelers sign him to back up Ben. I think he'd be a nice fit in our system

fansince'76
12-10-2011, 09:21 AM
If no team offers Kyle Orton an opportunity to start I'd love to see the Steelers sign him to back up Ben. I think he'd be a nice fit in our system

I'd love to have Orton as a backup.

Edman
12-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Charlie's problem is that he's showing his age. He was capable in the past, but he's just old and brittle.

Dennis Dixon is the REAL Problem here. He sucks ass from a straw. The fact that he's been inactive all this time (Yet keep Charlie on the Active List) shows the lack of confidence the coaches have in him.

Neither are a threat to Defenses and our Offense is dead as soon as they step on the field. I'd be fine with anyone at this point, just not Charlie and Dennis. Holding onto these guys was going to bite the Steelers in the ass eventually.

zulater
12-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Charlie's problem is that he's showing his age. He was capable in the past, but he's just old and brittle.

Dennis Dixon is the REAL Problem here. He just plain sucks. The fact that he's been inactive all this time shows the lack of confidence the coaches have in him.

Neither are a threat to Defenses and our Offense is dead as soon as they step on the field. I'd be fine with anyone at this point, just not Charlie and Dennis. Holding onto these guys was going to bite the Steelers in the ass eventually.

I wonder if the Tebow's would give us a 6th round pick for DD? You figure he'd be the perfect back up for that single wing offense their running with Teboy.

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
McNabb?

Why Not!

zulater
12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
McNabb?

Why Not!

Because he weighs nearly as much as Casey Hampton, and the bounce pass only works in the NBA.

He's lazy, out of shape, and thinks he's way better than he really is. There's a reason the qb desperate Bears wont even give him a call.

Edman
12-10-2011, 10:27 AM
McNabb?

Why Not!

Fans have poo-pooed his name, but you know what? They don't know what they're talking about. I'll take mediocrity over complete ineffectiveness.

zulater
12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Fans have poo-pooed his name, but you know what? They don't know what they're talking about. I'll take mediocrity over complete ineffectiveness.

I guess 32 NFL teams don't know what they're talking about either. He's not worth a roster spot.

Shoes
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I like the Orton idea.....I think he would be a great fit.

Edman
12-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I guess 32 NFL teams don't know what they're talking about either. He's not worth a roster spot.

Somehow over Charlie and Dixon, though. Which is funny.

I guess McNabb sucks, but we already have two Donovan McNabbs on our roster. So adding McNabb is going to make things worse.

polamalubeast
12-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Because he weighs nearly as much as Casey Hampton, and the bounce pass only works in the NBA.

He's lazy, out of shape, and thinks he's way better than he really is. There's a reason the qb desperate Bears wont even give him a call.

it looks like Daunte Culpepper!

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/08/11/daunte-culpepper-wants-to-be-a-starter-wasnt-interested-in-bac/

I applaud Daunte Culpepper's rosy disposition, even if it's a tad misguided. Unfortunately, his plan to not take any ol' job that comes along, but instead hold out for a starting gig will, barring a catastrophic run on NFL quarterback injuries, result in him watching football this fall from the same vantage point as many of us: the comfort of the couch.

The Steelers, after losing backup Charlie Batch to a broken collarbone for the next two months, were looking for a capable arm behind Ben Roethlisberger. According to ESPN's John Clayton, they had settled on two guys, but ultimately settled on the one not named Daunte:
The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.
You know, Culpepper's agent should explain to his client that he's really in no position to be making demands about playing time. Oh, wait...

SteelerEmpire
12-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I remember McNabb in the SB the Eagles played in. It was almost like he didn't want to be there. So I think he has issues of motivation for sure. But somebody will pick him up eventually as a 2nd or 3td stringer because there are QB's out there that are worse than McNabb.

zulater
12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Somehow over Charlie and Dixon, though. Which is funny.

I guess McNabb sucks, but we already have two Donovan McNabbs on our roster. So adding McNabb is going to make things worse.

He couldn't figure out our playbook in time to make any sort of contribution this year. and going foward I'd rather go after a guy like Kyle Orton, or maybe Jason Cambell for 2012.

SteelerEmpire
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
In addition, I think there's a 90% chance were gonna hear Batch starting in the San Fran game with the fail safe that if he starts screwing up THEN they'll put Ben in.

zulater
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
If you said to me that Batch couldn't play, and Ben was going to miss a couple games, and we had to sign someone from off our roster who's available right now to play. The guy I would want the Steelers to bring in would be Antoine Randle El believe it or not. If he's football fit I'd wager I could design a game plan from our existing playbook that he could execute at a high enough level to give us a reasonable chance to win a game. In fact I'd take him over Dennis Dixon as a qb tomorrow.

86WARD
12-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Wouldn't mind that one bit but I think he'll get a shot at a starting gig somewhere...

GBMelBlount
12-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Would I love to have better back ups right now? Yes, but the sky is not falling.

If our defense is firing on all cylinders we could be in every single game....even with batch. Period.

They have a week plus to get batch ready and prepare the offensive scheme to best fit Batch's "limitations."

Good preparation and a good game plan and I do think we can win with batch.

Unless they snap him like a little twig of course...

I know Dixon looks terrible but he actually has 60% completions and a 78 QB rating.

Yes, he looks ugly out there but we can even win with Dixon.

steeldevil
12-10-2011, 11:30 AM
I've been saying this all year. Our 3 backups are all either old, get injured easy, or suck. Or a combination of those things.

Either sign a guy or draft a guy next year.

tube517
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
He couldn't figure out our playbook in time to make any sort of contribution this year. and going foward I'd rather go after a guy like Kyle Orton, or maybe Jason Cambell for 2012.

McNabb can't even figure out what OT is, let alone the Steeler playbook.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Just play Dixon, if he can't do the job for a game or two, then he's off the roster next year. No point bringing in some other scrub that couldn't make one of the 31 other rosters in the league by week 14 of this season...just dance with the date you brought and if she steps on your toes, deal with it.

Count Steeler
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Just play Dixon, if he can't do the job for a game or two, then he's off the roster next year. No point bringing in some other scrub that couldn't make one of the 31 other rosters in the league by week 14 of this season...just dance with the date you brought and if she steps on your toes, deal with it.

Dixon did almost beat the Ravens, so he is worth a try. Of course Arians will have to dumb down the offense again, but if he connects with Wallace and Brown a couple of times, you never know. We won't need that many points to beat the niners.

SteelGhost
12-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Father time has been claiming Batch's cleats for more then 2 years, but for some reason Steelers FO keeps him :noidea: I usually support the FO, but in this backup QB trend I don't know what's happening, it's a clear weakness on the team IMHO.

Maybe Orton or Garrard would be good AND a third stringer from thr 2012 draft.

zulater
12-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Father time has been claiming Batch's cleats for more then 2 years, but for some reason Steelers FO keeps him :noidea: I usually support the FO, but in this backup QB trend I don't know what's happening, it's a clear weakness on the team IMHO.

Batch would have been cut if not for Leftwich getting hurt in the final preseason game.

SteelGhost
12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Batch would have been cut if not for Leftwich getting hurt in the final preseason game.

Yep, that's true Zu.

The Duke
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM

I wouldn't mind Garrard either next season. Don't think he ever played a full 16 game season, but he was still less brittle than Lefty all his career

Orton would be interesting, but a team (likely the one he's in now) will give him a shot as a starter

86WARD
12-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Here's the free agent list for 2012:
Drew Brees (NO)
Matt Flynn (GB)
Alex Smith (SF)
Kyle Orton (DEN)
Jason Campbell (OAK)

Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR)
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
David Garrard (FA)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted

Austin87
12-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I'd take Garrard or Shaun Hill as backup QB's any day.

86WARD
12-11-2011, 07:35 AM
As long as Dixon and Batch don't return. The question is whether Leftwuch is worth the backup spot...I'd rather pursue other options myself...

tube517
12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Sepulveda has more completions than Batch and Dixon combined :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
12-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Here's the free agent list for 2012:
Drew Brees (NO)
Matt Flynn (GB)
Alex Smith (SF)
Kyle Orton (DEN)
Jason Campbell (OAK)

Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR)
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
David Garrard (FA)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted

Those are my picks, and I wouldnt mind taking Flynn, hes a good young backup to Aaron Rodgers and if he doesnt get any interest to become a starter somewhere, hell be a valuable backup.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I think Orton, Garrard, and Shaun Hill are the most likely options. All are flex starters, but not really highly touted anymore, if they ever were.

zulater
12-11-2011, 01:36 PM
As long as Dixon and Batch don't return. The question is whether Leftwuch is worth the backup spot...I'd rather pursue other options myself...

At veterans minimum, and as the understood 3rd stringer, I absolutely want Leftwich back. But that's the only way. He can be the new Uncle Charlie. :chuckle:

Steeldude
12-12-2011, 02:09 AM
should have thought of that during pre-season. so many of you were fine with batch on day 1 so why change your mind now?

it would be nice to get orton next season. get rid of batch, leftwich and the WR dixon.

Craic
12-12-2011, 02:13 AM

?? Why? Lefty has shown that he can play and win that this level. He isn't a rookie development player that we need to shorten the playbook for, and he isn't Batch who's been out of a starting spot for what, a decade now? Personally, I think Lefty (as long as he can stay healthy) should be our permanent number 2 guy.

zulater
12-12-2011, 04:56 AM
should have thought of that during pre-season. so many of you were fine with batch on day 1 so why change your mind now?

it would be nice to get orton next season. get rid of batch, leftwich and the WR dixon.

I don't think anyone was ever overjoyed with Batch as the primary backup coming into the season. It's just the way things shook out with Leftwich getting hurt so late in the preseason. And if I remember right there was some early thought that Leftwich might not have to be placed on the IR list, so we thought Batch might just have to hold down the fort for the first few weeks of the season.

Anyway once we came to the point where Leftwich was put on IR I don't think there were a great many options out there that were better. So at that point what the hell are we supposed to say? Should we have spent the first 12 weeks crying incessantly about a player that with luck wouldn't take a meaningful snap?

GBMelBlount
12-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Sepulveda has more completions than Batch and Dixon combined :chuckle:

LOL. Maybe we could bring back Randle El and play a little slash offense...

86WARD
12-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Now you are bring silly...

steelreserve
12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
?? Why? Lefty has shown that he can play and win that this level. He isn't a rookie development player that we need to shorten the playbook for, and he isn't Batch who's been out of a starting spot for what, a decade now? Personally, I think Lefty (as long as he can stay healthy) should be our permanent number 2 guy.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the injury problems. For the past two years, he hasn't been there when we've needed to call upon our backup QB. We could have '84 Dan Marino as our backup and it wouldn't do any good if he couldn't play. Time to move on; it's happened twice in a row, and not even in game action. He just ends up hurt on his own.

As for the others ... I think Orton is unrealistic. People forget he was making almost $9M this year. I doubt he settles for $1M and sitting on the bench. Campbell or Garrard would command less money, but probably something like $4M-$5M, and I don't think we'll spend that much on a backup. Not to mention the fact that both of those guys probably think (with some justification) that they could start somewhere.

I'd probably say Shaun Hill and Chad Henne top my list as far as guys who have some good experience and are within our price range. Not the type of player who's going to take over a game for you, but we're talking about backups; you have to be realistic.

I also wouldn't mind bringing in one of those late-round or undrafted college QBs next year to take Dixon's place. You see a handful of them every season: Tony Pike, Chase Daniels, Jared Zabransky (who I believe we tried out in training camp once), those kinds of guys. Not sure who are the likely candidates in the current college crop, but we know Dixon has maxed out and is not a great option. So let's bring in someone else and see what they can do. Nothing but upside to a move like that.