PDA

View Full Version : On the 4 runs at goal line

GodfatherofSoul
12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I guess everyone hated the call, but I thought it was a gutsy challenge to the team. Make them stand up and either punch it in or challenge the D to get it back. We followed up with a 3-and-out so I thought it worked out. Had Kemo picked up 51 on the 2nd down goal line run (instead of tripping over his own fat feet) and not made the stupid hold, on the 3rd and 1 the next drive, we'd probably have scored the next drive.

BlastFurnace
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
It was a stupid call. Take the points. Go up by 7.

X-Terminator
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I had no problem with the call at all. It was just terrible execution by a bad OL (well, mostly Kemo, who needs to be on the first bus out of town). And they ended up getting the ball at the Browns' 35 after the D forced a 3-and-out. Plus, Ben's INT doesn't happen and they probably score if Kemo doesn't fuck up by holding on a 3rd and 1. How the hell do you do that???

Steelman
12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I liked the call to try to stuff it in, but the execution was terrible. Our goal line runs have been a problem, Arians needs to figure out something different there.

Mendenhall is pretty quick, has decent speed, why not try a sweep, or an off-tackle toss? OR, Redman is our best short yardage back, why not give it to him behind a Johnson? 3 runs up the gut with Mendenhall obviously doesn't work.

I give Arians an F for that group of downs. I'm not one to call for his head every week, but that was weak playcalling. And even weaker execution.

fansince'76
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
They had to run it up the gut as Ben wasn't mobile enough at that point for an outside handoff. Wish our OL could control the LOS in short yardage against bad teams.

Nadroj 20
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
I had a huge problem with that call. We have a QB with one leg and we have the chance to put our team up a TD, meaning at the very least a tie if the browns were to find the endzone.

I trust our Defense don't get me wrong but in a situation where our QB is hurt we need to take POINTS anytime we can get them, especially when you were stuffed 3 times in a row before that...

Godfather
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
I liked the call to try to stuff it in, but the execution was terrible. Our goal line runs have been a problem, Arians needs to figure out something different there.

Mendenhall is pretty quick, has decent speed, why not try a sweep, or an off-tackle toss? OR, Redman is our best short yardage back, why not give it to him behind a Johnson? 3 runs up the gut with Mendenhall obviously doesn't work.

I give Arians an F for that group of downs. I'm not one to call for his head every week, but that was weak playcalling. And even weaker execution.

I agree 100%.

Nadroj 20
12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
They had to run it up the gut as Ben wasn't mobile enough at that point for an outside handoff. Wish our OL could control the LOS in short yardage against bad teams.

Does anyone think the Browns weren't aware of that? We were basically telling them what we are doing. I'm sorry but I think points are better there.

Since it all worked out there is no sense in me complaining about it so I'll just leave it at that :thumbsup:

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
I had no problem with the call at all. It was just terrible execution by a bad OL (well, mostly Kemo, who needs to be on the first bus out of town). And they ended up getting the ball at the Browns' 35 after the D forced a 3-and-out. Plus, Ben's INT doesn't happen and they probably score if Kemo doesn't fuck up by holding on a 3rd and 1. How the hell do you do that???

Agreed. I liked the call but hated the execution by the OL and don't think that Mendy hit it that hard either. I would've liked to have seen Redman get a shot.

7willBheaven
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM

I didnt like the call...those 3 points COULD have been huge. But I was calling for this too...why not toss it outside and try to get it in. I really dont even think Redman could have got in running it up the gut though.

tube517
12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't mind the 4 runs but give it to Redman once or twice. He is a better short yardage back than Mendy.

steelreserve
12-08-2011, 11:17 PM
I think the call was fine; the odds are in your favor that you'll get two yards on at least ONE of those plays. We just didn't get the job done.

Butch
12-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I did not like the call with a chance to go up 7, but if you are going to go for it, why not put Redzone in there??? I would have put him in there on 3rd down and again on 4th if I didn't kick it.

Redman is a pile mover, Mendy runs more upright.

Merchant
12-08-2011, 11:52 PM
I like Tomlin's explanation of the decision to go for it on 4th down in the post-game conference. "If we can't punch it in with 4 tries from the 1 yard line, we deserve to potentially lose."

Devilsdancefloor
12-08-2011, 11:53 PM
i would be tickled pink if i here in april with the 32nd pick in teh 2012 draft the pittsburgh steelers pick Kelechi Osemele, from Iowa State

zulater
12-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I like Tomlin's explanation of the decision to go for it on 4th down in the post-game conference. "If we can't punch it in with 4 tries from the 1 yard line, we deserve to potentially lose."

The definition of insanity was once said to be, doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. Running the same play from basically the same formation 4 times and he thought he might score on the last one? :doh: Hell they could have run it 5 more times from there and they'd have still have not got it in. Tomlin made a major tactical error, he's lucky his team bailed him out on this one.

Merchant
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
The definition of insanity was once said to be, doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. Running the same play from basically the same formation 4 times and he thought he might score on the last one? :doh: Hell they could have run it 5 more times from there and they'd have still have not got it in. Tomlin made a major tactical error, he's lucky his team bailed him out on this one.

True but if you're passing it from that close you typically wanna go play-action and that would've been too difficult for Ben given his injury.

Chidi29
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I agree that your line should be able to punch it in from the 2 yard line on four plays. If you can't do that, there's problems. Basically what Tomlin said.

But, I hated the playcall on 4th down. Same exact thing done on first or second. Motion to Heath and the defense was able to time it perfectly. You're telling the defense when to get their jump and the most crucial aspect to stop those goalline runs are a great jump off the snap.

zulater
12-09-2011, 12:09 AM
True but if you're passing it from that close you typically wanna go play-action and that would've been too difficult for Ben given his injury.

Not arguing that. What bothered me is them taking our two biggest playmakers off the field ( Wallace and Brown) in the red zone. I'm fine with Mendy getting the carries, but spread 'em out a little, make the safeties respect the pass and you might get a little more movement off the snap.

katmandu
12-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Bring back "Refrigerator Perry" !!

steel9guy
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
I miss Jerome Bettis!!!! Great call though just should've used Redman.

suitanim
12-09-2011, 08:45 AM
At home, in a close game, in a playoff race, you have GOT to be able to smash the ball in on 1st and goal against inferior competition. I had no problem with the call, but a big problem with no Redman. And our OL took a big step back yesterday...

Godfather
12-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Bring back "Refrigerator Perry" !!

Ooh...Big Snack getting the ball there would have been awesome.

NJarhead
12-09-2011, 09:13 AM
I loved the call, but I think #33 should have been in. Call me simple, but it seems we have a perfect three-pronged formula in terms of personnel for running the ball:

#34 between the 10's
#33 inside the 10's and for blows
#21 on 3rd and long and for blows

Seems to work when ever they're used in that way.

Also, with Ben's ankle there would be no play action and the Browns knew with the personnel a throw was unlikely. I too miss the days when everyone knew would be running but the defense couldn't do a thing about it. Who know's, if Pouncey is in at center and Kemo is on the bench rather than at LG we may have gotten it done. No matter, we won the game, but I have another point.

I'm sick of #68. He is a flag producing machine and he did jack squat with his opporunity to reclaim his job last night.

/rant.

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2011, 09:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the play calls were all different with different blocking schemes, and I'm pretty sure had Mendy cut left on 3rd down instead of plowing straight ahead to the right side of the Center he scores with ease, but I'll need to review the film again to be sure.

polamalubeast
12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Wkg-uBjFc

86WARD
12-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty sure the play calls were all different with different blocking schemes, and I'm pretty sure had Mendy cut left on 3rd down instead of plowing straight ahead to the right side of the Center he scores with ease, but I'll need to review the film again to be sure.

I'm pretty sure they could've been a little more creative there...

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty sure they could've been a little more creative there...

Shouldn't have to be creative against the 31st run defense in the league in 4 tries from the 2 yard line. You should be able to just jam it down their throat. It was a lack of effort on the entire Offense combined with a stronger will shown by the defense.

Last thing I wanted to see was Ben rolling out in any capacity. Or a Stupid Bubble Screen or Stupid End around. Thanks but I'd rather just try to jam it home from the 2. It failed due to lack of Execution.

86WARD
12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Or predictability...they are "NFL Players" on the opposing sideline.

NJarhead
12-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Shouldn't have to be creative against the 31st run defense in the league in 4 tries from the 2 yard line. You should be able to just jam it down their throat. It was a lack of effort on the entire Offense combined with a stronger will shown by the defense.

Last thing I wanted to see was Ben rolling out in any capacity. Or a Stupid Bubble Screen or Stupid End around. Thanks but I'd rather just try to jam it home from the 2. It failed due to lack of Execution.

Couldn't agree more.

zulater
12-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Being as the first 3 runs failed it was ridiculously stupid not kicking the fg on 4th down, and could have cost us the game.

Consider if Ben and Brown don't connect on that touchdown pass. 3rd and 10 coming up, 3 minutes to play. Real good chance Cleveland forces the punt and gets the ball back in good field position. Now obviously there's a good chance the defense does their job ad it ends up 7-3. But what if they don't? Remember playing from behind the Browns get an extra down to work with. So say they work the ball down the field and end up scoring the touchdown with 30-40 seconds on the clock. Very real possibility at the time. guess what that means? It means because of a stupid decision by coach Tomlin the game wont go to overtime and you're SOL and staring at 9-4 with the very real possibility that your starting qb's MRI will sideline him for the rest of the season.

NJarhead
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Sometimes ya just have to take a chance. I believe Bill Parcells had a saying about "if ya don't throw a pick once in a while, you're probably not taking enough chances to win the game." Not the best of quotes, but he was one of the better coaches in NFL history.

Dino 6 Rings
12-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Sometimes ya just have to take a chance. I believe Bill Parcells had a saying about "if ya don't throw a pick once in a while, you're probably not taking enough chances to win the game." Not the best of quotes, but he was one of the better coaches in NFL history.

Agreed and in the replay before the 4th down play they show Tomlin talking to Lebeau, pretty much telling him "be ready I'm going for it and if we don't get it, we need a stop" So it was a coaching call, and I agree with it. Giving the stinking Browns the ball at the 2 yard line against Our Defense shouldn't be something we are scared of doing. just saying.

NJarhead
12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Agreed and in the replay before the 4th down play they show Tomlin talking to Lebeau, pretty much telling him "be ready I'm going for it and if we don't get it, we need a stop" So it was a coaching call, and I agree with it. Giving the stinking Browns the ball at the 2 yard line against Our Defense shouldn't be something we are scared of doing. just saying.

'zactly. I don't think the Browns have mounted a 98 yard scoring drive in their history...., though I believe they've given up at least one. OH! haha

X-Terminator
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm still not understanding all of the hand-wringing here. Why not go for it? At that point in the game, what indication was there that the Browns could mount a 99-yard drive? Not only that, the defense forced a 3-and-out and got the ball back at the Browns' 35, which is exactly what they were hoping for in the event they didn't score. I had no issue whatsoever with the decision, just the execution. Besides, if they had kicked the FG, there would have been just as many fans complaining because they didn't go for it. So no matter what they did, they were going to get criticized for it.

zulater
12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
'zactly. I don't think the Browns have mounted a 98 yard scoring drive in their history...., though I believe they've given up at least one. OH! haha

That logic would be great if there was like 3 minutes to go in the game. But we still had 8-9 minutes to go if I remember right. The Browns had one more possession after that where they got into the red zone and could have very well assumed the lead. And even worse than that, had the Steelers been unable to convert a first down on the series following Gay's end zone interception, the Browns would have been in a position to score the go ahead touchdown with the clock all but expired. You guys forget those losses we had in 2009 against the Raiders and the Chiefs where that's exactly what happened? You don't recover from those sort of losses.

The field goal was the right call. There was no downside to going up by 7 points there.

NJarhead
12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
That logic would be great if there was like 3 minutes to go in the game. But we still had 8-9 minutes to go if I remember right. The Browns had one more possession after that where they got into the red zone and could have very well assumed the lead. And even worse than that, had the Steelers been unable to convert a first down on the series following Gay's end zone interception, the Browns would have been in a position to score the go ahead touchdown with the clock all but expired. You guys forget those losses we had in 2009 against the Raiders and the Chiefs where that's exactly what happened? You don't recover from those sort of losses.

The field goal was the right call. There was no downside to going up by 7 points there.

But there was an upside to attempting to go up by 11 instead. And field position and the strength of our defense played a roll in that.

suitanim
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I had a buddy over to watch the game, and I told him that the Browns decision to kick the FG early in the game was the right one (because they may not get another chance for more points all game, which turned out to be mostly true), and I also said that the Steelers decision to go for 6 was correct, too. They are home, the better team, and should be able to impose their will.

NJarhead
12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I had a buddy over to watch the game, and I told him that the Browns decision to kick the FG early in the game was the right one (because they may not get another chance for more points all game, which turned out to be mostly true), and I also said that the Steelers decision to go for 6 was correct, too. They are home, the better team, and should be able to impose their will.

We nearly moved the ball at will too. But we had three turnovers. Two on consecutive drives.

suitanim
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
We nearly moved the ball at will too. But we had three turnovers. Two on consecutive drives.

I speculate that we left 10 on the field. We'd have scored 1 TD and 1 FG on those two drives that ended in uncharacteristic fumbles. I don't think many people would have had a problem with a 24-3 win.

tihmtahm
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't mind that they tried to punch in in... My problem is Mendy... An attempt to jump the pile would have been nice to see. Plays like that make me miss Bettis more than ever! I'll never forget the way Bettis steamrolled Urlacher!

GBMelBlount
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I think it was a brilliant example of Arians cleverly employing the contrarian strategy.

Let's face, most everyone thought after three stuffs that only an idiot would do it a 4th time.

Arians sure fooled them....

ALLD
12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I called it during the game that if you cannot get it in with three tries, the kick the FG. To put it in perspective, if that was the Super Bowl, he would have kicked it.

Count Steeler
12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Here's a thought. RUN REDMAN! At least one shot. Mendy got bounced around on at least 2 of the tries.

And O Line, hit the weights. You can't win 1 out 4 downs against the Browns? Get some push, you know the snap count, they don't. That should be at least a 1/2 yard advantage.

steeldevil
12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I loved going for it on 4th.

Obviously if Ben was not injured at least 1 of those 4 plays would have been a PA roll out. Under the circumstances I was fine with 4 runs, but Redman should have gotten at least 1 of the 4.

NCSteeler
12-09-2011, 11:41 PM

Exactly, on 3rd or 4th it would have been nice to see something other than blind faith in a bad oline. If your running up the gut , you put redmen in at a minimum.

All this would be moot, if not for two of our clutchest players fumbling. We could have easily put this thing to bed with the those two RZ TOs back.

fansince'76
12-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Again, Ben's injury limited the offense in that situation...

Big Ben's injury hurt at goal line

Ben Roethlisberger's inability to run and move out of the pocket limited the Steelers on their failed, four-play goal-line series Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns.

Rashard Mendenhall was stopped on four consecutive running plays, beginning at the Browns 2, but the Steelers had a pass play called on third down. Roethlisberger, however, checked off to a run because the Browns overloaded their coverage to the right side of the field where the pass was intended.

Complicating matters further was Roethlisberger's inability to execute any of the play-action bootleg plays the Steelers planned to use near the goal line because he couldn't run.

"I think it restricted us, even on third down," Roethlisberger said. "[Offensive coordinator] Bruce Arians said, Are you able to get out? And I told him no. We still have to get in, we know that, and we take pride in being able to get it in. "

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11344/1195955-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Craic
12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
I speculate that we left 10 on the field. We'd have scored 1 TD and 1 FG on those two drives that ended in uncharacteristic fumbles. I don't think many people would have had a problem with a 24-3 win.

Heck, throw in a healthy Ben, and he probably gets into the endzone himself on the goal line runs. I'd throw in another 7 and say we left anywhere from 13 to 21 points on the field. But your point is well taken and I completely agree.

suitanim
12-10-2011, 05:44 AM
To be fair, any other call that didn't result in a TD would have also resulted in equally fierce criticism...