PDA

View Full Version : Stupid backloaded divisional games

GodfatherofSoul
12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I really hate this system. It's moronic to be playing the Browns 2x in THREE weeks. I guess they're going for some kind of college pattern. Divisional games should be a spread apart as possible to give teams a chance to grow between meetings; I'd say all in the first 4 games then all in the last 4 if possible. At a minimum they should be separated by at least 1/2 a season.

BlastFurnace
12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Actually, I like it much better.

If..and I know it's a big if...the Browns were battling for a playoff spot or division title, this last month would be very intruiging.

Animal Mother
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I only like it if we win both games

BigNastyDefense
12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
The NFL is doing it this way to attempt to keep teams from resting their starters for the last couple weeks of the season. I understand why they are doing it, and I don't mind it. But you can still spread it out more than what it is this year.

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
It's not stupid at all. It prevents teams that have clinched or are in the process of clinching playoff berths from tanking the rest of the season. They have to play the season out. Week 16-17 especially are no longer just a big joke.

Moose
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
The NFL is doing it this way to attempt to keep teams from resting their starters for the last couple weeks of the season. I understand why they are doing it, and I don't mind it. But you can still spread it out more than what it is this year.
I can see Balt. resting their players the last game against the bungholes.

stillers4me
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Our whole situation would be different if we were going to play the Ravens in December instead of the Browns twice. We played the Ravens twice close together, now we are already done with the Bengals and we haven't even played the Browns yet.

Does anybody really think the Ravens would have beaten us twice if we were playing them this month instead of a month ago??

Moose
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I didn't think the rat's would beat us the last time....which they didn't, we beat ourselves !!! 92yrd play !?? are you Fkn' kidding me !!??

Craic
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I really like it. Matter of fact, I wish the Raven's game would have been moved back as well. Block off weeks 12-17 for all divisional games, when team are at (or should be at) their best. Talk about breathing life into rivalries. Imagine the schedule. Ravens, Browns, Cincy, Ravens, Browns, Cincy. You could celebrate Thanksgiving 6 games out of first place, and still mathematically win the division (though it'd take a lot of help).

Nadroj 20
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I like it as well. They do it in baseball a lot too, leaving the last few weeks for divison games in case there is a good race at the end. Makes sense to me, but since its the browns there wont be any excitement...they're the bottom feeders haha

steelreserve
12-06-2011, 10:38 PM

That's not why they did it. They did it because of the lockout; if they had to cut the season to 14 or 12 games, you'd still have a full divisional schedule with minimal disruption.

They also did some other things, like make sure all the teams that were supposed to play each other in Week 3 had the same bye week later in the year ... so they might be able to miss 3 weeks of the season and still play 15 games (the other one would be made up by moving the playoffs back a week and cutting out the extra Super Bowl hype week).

At any rate - yes, the league was moving toward backloading the schedule with division games a little before, but not to this extent; they mostly were trying to do that in Week 16 or Week 17 to keep things competitive. This thing with the whole last two months being division games is only for this year.

The Duke
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Our whole situation would be different if we were going to play the Ravens in December instead of the Browns twice. We played the Ravens twice close together, now we are already done with the Bengals and we haven't even played the Browns yet.

Does anybody really think the Ravens would have beaten us twice if we were playing them this month instead of a month ago??

been thinking about that lately. If there's one thing the steelers are experts at is playing in december. And the ravens, well they fold in december

I like our chances against them in January