PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's Visor

GodfatherofSoul
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
He's been wearing it since the injury (and never before?). Seems like a strange change for a veteran player. I can't imagine what he'd be hiding. Vick was doing it for a while before he figured out how to stop staring down receivers; don't think LBs have the same problems giving away blitzes w/ their eyes.

HollywoodSteel
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
It's because of increased light sensitivity since his eye injury. He doesn't need it to look any meaner.

Devilsdancefloor
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
i think it is more intimidating not being able to see his eyes. yes i believe most give away blitzes with their expression or stare

HollywoodSteel
12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
A player can't just decide to wear a tinted visor because it looks cool or to gain an advantage. They have to have a medical reason. From Wikipedia:

...The NCAA banned the use of tinted visors for the same reason, and the NFL has followed suit as well. However, players with eye problems may still obtain special permission to wear tinted visors, some notable examples being LaDanian Tomlinson and Chris Canty.[6]

Steeldude
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
He's been wearing it since the injury (and never before?). Seems like a strange change for a veteran player. I can't imagine what he'd be hiding. Vick was doing it for a while before he figured out how to stop staring down receivers; don't think LBs have the same problems giving away blitzes w/ their eyes.

i believe he is wearing it because of the injury

BnG_Hevn
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
What I don't understand is why visors are outlawed to begin with, is it because having all players who would choose to wear them (probably all except linemen) would lower the "fan experience" and therefore not generate as much interest?

For me, I'd want to wear one to prevent fingers poking my eyeball. I guess that doesn't happen that often but still ...

HollywoodSteel
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
What I don't understand is why visors are outlawed to begin with, is it because having all players who would choose to wear them (probably all except linemen) would lower the "fan experience" and therefore not generate as much interest?

For me, I'd want to wear one to prevent fingers poking my eyeball. I guess that doesn't happen that often but still ...

According to wikpedia, they were first outlawed in kids football because it is harder for coaches to see face injuries right away. Seems like a weird reason on the professional level, but oh well. For some people I could see the tinted visor as a disadvantage. Big Ben comes to mind since a big part of his game is faking out defenders with his eyes.

I think anyone can wear non-tinted visors, but I could be mistaken.