PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Tackle: From not enough to too many

Galax Steeler
12-04-2011, 07:43 AM
The mess that was the Steelers offensive line to start the season suddenly looks as if it has a good foothold on the future. Now, however, they will have to make a tough decision at tackle after the season.

Willie Colon, who signed a five-year, $29 million contract this year, will return from the triceps injury that knocked him out for the season in the opening game in Baltimore. Then what do they do?

One solution: Return Colon to his job as the starting right tackle and move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle, the spot which they had in mind for him when they drafted him on the second round this year. Left tackle Max Starks becomes a free agent and he's liable to get some decent offers elsewhere.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11338/1194247-66.stm#ixzz1fZbIjJJl

Count Steeler
12-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Colon should be playing guard. Keep Gilbert and Starks on the tackles for at least another year. If Gilbert still develops, let him try LT at some point next season.

Plus, draft an OG that can start and then we will have a serious O Line, as long as they stay healthy.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Colon should be playing guard. Keep Gilbert and Starks on the tackles for at least another year. If Gilbert still develops, let him try LT at some point next season.

Plus, draft an OG that can start and then we will have a serious O Line, as long as they stay healthy.

Your statement about staying healthy is what concerns me

With colon having two separate season ending injuries in two consecutive years I am concerned he is injury prone...

I think Colon is a much higher risk now and was surprised he got the contract he did.

Count Steeler
12-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Your statement about staying healthy is what concerns me

With colon having two separate season ending injuries in two consecutive years I am concerned he is injury prone...

I think Colon is a much higher risk now and was surprised he got the contract he did.

That is why we need to draft a "starting" guard in next year's draft. If we have Pouncey, Starks, Gilbert and a new OG, we can live with Kemo, Foster or Legs for one more year. A healthy Colon would be icing on the cake.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
That is why we need to draft a "starting" guard in next year's draft. If we have Pouncey, Starks, Gilbert and a new OG, we can live with Kemo, Foster or Legs for one more year. A healthy Colon would be icing on the cake.

Yes, a healthy colon is always good...

Steeldude
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
if they are going to keep colon i think they should move him to G. let gilbert stay at RT and keep starks at LT. release kemo or trade him, if possible.

The Duke
12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
if they are going to keep colon i think they should move him to G. let gilbert stay at RT and keep starks at LT. release kemo or trade him, if possible.

I wish! But I don't think there's anyone dumb enough to do that

steelpinstripe87
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Get rid of Starks? Article-writer, are you insane??

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
A bit early to think of putting Gilbert on the left side, but a full offseason will be good for him. Still think they need to look at another OT in the draft, but will have too many other priorities to look at like ILB, NT, OG, FS.