PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers vs. Bengals Rivalry: “Kimo’s Shot Heard ‘Round the World” ...

polamalubeast
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
gazette.com
Two weeks ago I discussed a game that changed the face of the Steelers vs. Bengals series forever and helped to kick-start a 20 year run of Pittsburgh essentially “owning” Cincinnati. Yet over the last 20 years, there had to have been a game/era where Cincinnati appeared to have closed the gap in the rivalry right? Indeed.

That’s right folks, I’ll be doing a discussion about the 2005/2006 A.F.C. Wild Card Game that saw the Steelers and Bengals duke it out at Paul Brown Stadium. So today I not only want to do my normal discussion of the game itself and my personal anecdotes from watching it, but I also want to discuss the importance of this game to the rivalry and what “almost” could-have been had certain events not transpired. So hit that “Continue Reading” button and let’s get started shall we:

Introduction:

2005 was a season that I will never forget as a Steelers fan. I mean it’s unforgettable because the Steelers made a miraculous run to a Super Bowl title (the first I’ve been alive to see). Yet another big reason that particular season will always stick with me is the fact that the 2005 season was the first one that I watched when I lived in Hawai’i. For the first time in my life, I was away from both my Mom and her family, all of whom are big Steelers fans.

Luckily, due to the internet, calls home, and sports bars, I was able to keep up with all of the games and all the going’s-on during the Fall and Winter. Personally, I loved waking up (or staying up after a night of drinking) at 7 A.M. to watch an East Coast football game. It was a great way to start off a Sunday, and the late games started at like 2 in the afternoon. I could spend the entire night doing homework I didn’t finish or hanging out with friends. God Bless Hawai’i.

Tale of Two Teams:

Anyways, the 2005 Steelers were a nice mix of young and old that had high expectations entering the season after their Rookie QB Big Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 took them to the A.F.C. Championship Game. While they started 7-2, the Steelers hit a mid-season 3 game skid and stood at 7-5 on the outside looking in of the Playoffs after a horrendous 38-31 home loss to Cincinnati that essentially handed the Bengals the A.F.C. North Title. I remember not being worried though because I had faith that both San Diego and Kansas City would eventually screw themselves out of playoff contention. Luckily, I was right and I also knew that the Steelers (who won their last 4 regular season games just to earn the 6th and final seed) were a much better team than their 6th seed status indicated.

In 2005, the upstart Bengals also a lot to be confident about. They had a Pro Bowl QB in Carson Palmer, two talented WR’s in the form of the pass catcher formerly known as Chad Johnson, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and a great running game led by a stout O-Line and RB Rudi Johnson. While the Bengals’ Defense wasn’t overly talented by any means, they were ball-hawking and forced numerous turnovers that their talented Offense capitalized on all season.

I was stoked to watch the game, because I would be in the comfort of my dorm-room all by myself because many students hadn’t moved back in yet for Spring Classes. While feeling a tad lonesome, I figured watching the game would be a great way to unwind before my buddies got back from their respective cities that night.

read more

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/11/30/the-steelers-vs-bengals-rivalry-kimos-shot-heard-round-the-world-and-its-aftermath/

The WH
12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
That one play changed the courses of both franchises.

zulater
12-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Carson Palmer would have choked that game away if he had stayed healthy. I always laugh at people who assume because of one big play in the first couple minutes of that game that Palmer would have had easy sailing all game long. :lol: Hell the only reason the Bengals were even playing that week, instead of having a bye, was because of a late season choke job against a pathetic Chief team. The fact is the only reason the Steelers didn't win the division that year was because Ben missed 3 games due to injury, and had a little rust when he came back.

Anyway Carson was and never will be a big game player. The Steelers would have eventually won that game regardless of who was playing qb that day, because they were the better overall team.

Moose
12-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Exactly zulater !! I tell those bunghole morons the samething. Besides the fact that bunghole fans are the most obnoxious fans I know, they are also the most illiterate when it comes to football. Most of the bunghole fans I know don't even know when the bungholes are playing, or even WHO they are playing. I always tell them on that if they want to blame anyone, blame their own offensive line.....since they are the ones who let Kimo bust throw and get to their QB. You can't blame an opponent for doing what they are taught to do. Your job is to stop them....if you don't or can't, then suffer the results. GO STEELER's

HometownGal
12-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Carson Palmer would have choked that game away if he had stayed healthy. I always laugh at people who assume because of one big play in the first couple minutes of that game that Palmer would have had easy sailing all game long. :lol: Hell the only reason the Bengals were even playing that week, instead of having a bye, was because of a late season choke job against a pathetic Chief team. The fact is the only reason the Steelers didn't win the division that year was because Ben missed 3 games due to injury, and had a little rust when he came back.

Anyway Carson was and never will be a big game player. The Steelers would have eventually won that game regardless of who was playing qb that day, because they were the better overall team.

Good post Zu and I agree totally. So many people and sports jocks assume the Bungles would have beaten the Steelers that day had Cartoon not been injured and I don't see it that way. The Steelers were on fire and continued that pace right into that game and I believe the end result would have been the same if Cartoon had been behind center the entire game. Just more boo-hooing from the peanut gallery.

polamalubeast
12-04-2011, 05:58 AM
I remember in 2005, many people thought that Palmer would become great as Peyton Manning!:ranger::rofl2:

GBMelBlount
12-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Palmer had a qb rating of 101 in 2005....he never came close to that again...

86WARD
12-04-2011, 07:34 AM
That one play changed the courses of both franchises.

Not really. It just returned the Bengals to what they are.

Moose
12-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Bunghole football, moron mentality is explained solely by their chant.....after 20+ yrs of LOSING and they still yell, ' who dey ?'----LMAO

The WH
12-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I hope none of you are fooling yourselves to think that, even if the Steelers had won the game WITH Palmer in it, that the Bengals would not have been an even better team the next year with Palmer on the field and not on the sidelines for the whole year.

stillers4me
12-04-2011, 10:33 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1411505679/super_bowl_pic_normal.jpgScottBrown_Trib (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib)Scott Brown

LaMarr Woodley on the field and warming up. Looks like he is good to go today.

stillers4me
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1099965827/TweetLogo_normal.jpgSteelersDigest (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/SteelersDigest)Steelers Digest

Inactives: QB Dixon, ILB Foote, OLB Carter, DE Woods, T Meredith, NT Hoke, WR Battle

stillers4me
12-04-2011, 10:36 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1513184213/jrtwit4_normal.jpgjoereedy (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/joereedy)Joe Reedy

#bengals (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23bengals) inactives CB Nate Clements, LB Dontay Moch, OG Clint Boling, TE Donald Lee, WR Ryan Whalen, DT Pat Sims, DE Carlos Dunlap

zulater
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I hope none of you are fooling yourselves to think that, even if the Steelers had won the game WITH Palmer in it, that the Bengals would not have been an even better team the next year with Palmer on the field and not on the sidelines for the whole year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2006.htm

Palmer played all 16 games in 2006, threw 28 td passes for over 4000 yards while posting a qb rating of 93.9 in leading the Bengals to an 8-8 record. What was your point again? :coffee:

zulater
12-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Palmer had a qb rating of 101 in 2005....he never came close to that again...

Actually he did in 2006, and relative to surrounding talent he also had a good year in 2007( 26 td's, 4,131 yds, 64.9% cmp, 86.7 rtg.). In 2008 his season was derailed by a problematic elbow that limited him to 4 games. It's that injury, rather than his knee, that started his career trajectory downward.

The WH
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
wait. When did he sit out a year?

Wow, I could swear to god that he sat out 06 because of that knee injury.

I need another drink.

and don't sass me Zu.