PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu admits fear of future serious injury

stillers4me
12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Troy Polamalu (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/players/troypolamalu/profile?id=POL041872) fears one day he will take a blow to the head that will result in serious long-term negative effects on his brain. And he has no plans to change his style of play or torpedo-like manner of tackling.

Speaking publicly for the first time since being knocked out of Sunday's win against Kansas City (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d824869fe) due to concussion-like symptoms, Pittsburgh's All-Pro safety said he feels good. He went through his second consecutive full practice Friday and is listed as probable for Sunday's AFC North showdown (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011120405/2011/REG13/bengals@steelers) between the Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN).

Polamalu said he plays with a perpetual internal struggle between the constant threat of serious injury and not letting it affect his performance.........

read more @ http://burgh.us/aen

The WH
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
If he doesn't plan on adjusting his tackling style, then he has no one to blame but himself.

GBMelBlount
12-02-2011, 06:22 PM
It is not always easy to consciously change styles for someone who plays so instinctively and with 100% intensity in game situations.

Just sayin.

Count Steeler
12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
The beginning of the end of our Troy. Hope he is around for at 2 more rings, but I'd rather see him retire healthy than retire worse.

Godfather
12-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I hate to say it, but if Troy can't or won't change his style, he needs to retire at the end of this year. Football is just a game.

Galax Steeler
12-02-2011, 08:05 PM
If he doesn't plan on adjusting his tackling style, then he has no one to blame but himself.

I don't think Troy is going to change that is what has made him in the nfl. So why would he change his tackling style now.:huh:

steelreserve
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
The beginning of the end of our Troy. Hope he is around for at 2 more rings, but I'd rather see him retire healthy than retire worse.

He'll be fine. For all the big hits he's involved in, DBs still make contact less often than most other players on the field. Linemen and LBs probably get like 20 concussions a game without realizing it, which is where the real danger is if you ask me.

SteelerEmpire
12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Just wrap em up and bring em to the ground Troy. Or just concentrate on making interceptions...

The WH
12-03-2011, 04:23 AM
I don't think Troy is going to change that is what has made him in the nfl. So why would he change his tackling style now.:huh: I don't know....maybe the desire to not end up in a wheelchair drooling on himself by the age of 40?

Galax Steeler
12-03-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't know....maybe the desire to not end up in a wheelchair drooling on himself by the age of 40?

I know what you are saying but the way he plays is what makes Troy. He is different then any other saftey in the league and that is why Troy is Troy.

The WH
12-03-2011, 05:21 AM
I completely agree. 100%. I wouldn't really want him any other way, but I don't want to see his kids grow up without a daddy.

HometownGal
12-03-2011, 05:59 AM
It is not always easy to consciously change styles for someone who plays so instinctively and with 100% intensity in game situations.

Just sayin.

Exactly. :applaudit:

BlacknGoldBabe
12-03-2011, 07:13 AM
It's difficult to imagine the Steelers' defense without him. Hopefully he won't be going anywhere any time soon!

Moose
12-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I agree that Troy isn't going to change his style of play---that's what makes Troy- Troy. But, if this organization would start to get some damn CB's that are worth anything at all, then Troy wouldn't have to run all over and try to make plays. He has to cover from the left side to the right side, from deep plays to line plays all because we don't have anyone to cover a damn WR's worth a crap !! Sorry....just my opinion !

BlacknGoldBabe
12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Moose, I'll second that wholeheartedly. Troy needs someone who can pick up the coverage WITH him.

SteelerEmpire
12-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Since Clark is the hardest hitter of the two anyway and has a harder head (lol), make Clark the SS and Troy the FS for a while. That would eliminate a lot of tackling Troy would other wise have to make and increase the number of interceptions for the team.

Moose
12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Still doesn't solve the problem of when opponents WR catch the ball, our CB's are either 10yrds ahead, behind or off to the side of the receiver....which means Troy has to chase them down to make the tackle because our CB was wiffed !! LOL

steel striker
12-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I think troy will be troy making those type of tackles but, maybe not when the wr is 6-5 260lbs. Just wrap him up and, like Ben will always be Ben. I'm still concerned about troy he still is an amazing player.