PDA

View Full Version : Better sports city: Pittsburgh or Philly?

LLT
07-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Better sports city: Pittsburgh or Philly? (Hint: It's not even close)
July 3, 2010
by Cory Giger

With the Pirates and Phillies playing this weekend, let's have a turf war: Which is the better sports city: Pittsburgh or Philadelphia?
I've brought up this topic before on my radio show, and it always generates passionate responses. Folks from western Pa and the Burgh say it's not even close, as do those from eastern Pa and the Philly area.
Frankly, it really isn't close.
It's Pittsburgh in a landslide.

Steelers 6 Super Bowls, Eagles 0
Considering that the NFL is the country's biggest sport and that the Steelers are the best franchise in the league's history, this alone may be enough to declare Pittsburgh the overall winner.

Pirates 5 World Series (last one in 1979), Phillies 2 (last one in 2008)
The Phillies are the much better organization right now, and the Pirates have been a joke for nearly two decades. Still, Pirates fans are incredibly passionate, and PNC Park is the best venue in the majors. Plus, Pirates fans don't throw up intentionally on little girls.
Nevertheless, Philly wins this round because Phils have a chance at a mini-dynasty with that lineup, while Bucs' losing streak could reach 20-plus seasons.

Penguins 3 Stanley Cups (last one in 2009), Flyers 2 (last one in 1975)
The Pens have a potential dynasty brewing with Sidney Crosby and have been one of the league's elite teams the past few years. The Flyers had a remarkable playoff run this year, but it's been 35 years since they won a title.
Pittsburgh by a wide margin.

76ers 3 NBA titles (last one in 1983).
Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team, but judging by the standings most years, neither does Philly.

Colleges: Pitt is a college basketball powerhouse, and its football program has had dominant years. Villanova leads the Philly college hoops scene, but when the best football team in the city is Temple, well, that's just sad.
Slight edge to Pittsburgh.

And the winner, again by a wide margin, is Pittsburgh. And even if it was closer, Philly fans will always have a black eye for booing Santa Claus.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/blogs.detail/display/4584/Better-sports-city--Pittsburgh-or-Philly---Hint--It-s-not-even-close-.html

HometownGal
07-04-2010, 05:52 AM
That's a huge no-brainer. :thumbsup:

And - Pittsburgh fans don't boo Santie Claus. :heh: TRS and Heinz Field also never had its own courtroom as Veterans Stadium did for all the arrests that used to take place in that shithole.

ALLD
07-04-2010, 07:10 AM
This is absolutely a no brainer. A more competitive debate would be, who has the better sandwich.

Primanti Bros. or Pat's cheesesteak?

Galax Steeler
07-04-2010, 07:16 AM
I love Pittsburgh but I cannot loose my love for the Phillies. I grew up a Phillie fan and I guess I will die one. I love the Steelers and and Penguins.

steelpride12
07-04-2010, 08:18 AM
This is absolutely a no brainer. A more competitive debate would be, who has the better sandwich.

Primanti Bros. or Pat's cheesesteak?
MMM Primanti's!

Seriously not even a question though! Pittsburgh has the most die hard, loyal fans on the earth. Other fans may not like us, but we don't care were always here for the teams. Philly fans can be arrogant, and cocky (Flyers, Eagles) and I have no respect for fans who boo their team for one bad play or game.

Akagi
07-04-2010, 08:37 AM
I live in the eastern half of the state, and it's a no-brainer; Pittsburgh is a far superior sports city. Philadelphia fans have no idea what a privilege it is having professional sports teams. Pittsburgh fans in general are more passionate and more knowledgeable.

Regarding food, though, Philadelphia is one hell of a good food city. Nothing against da Burgh, but Philly wins that one.

solardave
07-04-2010, 08:51 AM
QUOTE=HometownGal;20553]That's a huge no-brainer. :thumbsup:

And - Pittsburgh fans don't boo Santie Claus. :heh: TRS and Heinz Field also never had its own courtroom as Veterans Stadium did for all the arrests that used to take place in that shithole.[/QUOTE]

Don't mince words. Say what you really feel.:rolleyes2:

X-Terminator
07-04-2010, 09:01 AM
MMM Primanti's!

Seriously not even a question though! Pittsburgh has the most die hard, loyal fans on the earth. Other fans may not like us, but we don't care were always here for the teams. Philly fans can be arrogant, and cocky (Flyers, Eagles) and I have no respect for fans who boo their team for one bad play or game.

You can say that about Pittsburgh fans too. And let's be honest, Penguins fans are only "die hard" when they're winning. When they were losing, Mellon Arena was a ghost town. The same thing will happen at Consol when the inevitable losing skid happens.

That said, Pittsburgh fans are and will always be superior to Philly fans in every way. We don't puke on little girls, we don't stab people to death in the parking lot after games, we don't boo Santa Claus, we have no need for jails in our stadiums and we don't have fans getting their asses tased for running out onto the field.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I love those stats... The Phillies may be the 2008 WS Champions but they just can't seem to tear the Buc's up in a series... lol

Burghfan58
07-04-2010, 10:39 AM
You can say that about Pittsburgh fans too. And let's be honest, Penguins fans are only "die hard" when they're winning. When they were losing, Mellon Arena was a ghost town. The same thing will happen at Consol when the inevitable losing skid happens.

That said, Pittsburgh fans are and will always be superior to Philly fans in every way. We don't puke on little girls, we don't stab people to death in the parking lot after games, we don't boo Santa Claus, we have no need for jails in our stadiums and we don't have fans getting their asses tased for running out onto the field.
That pretty much sums it up right there. Let's not forget that Steeler fans are everywhere. They travel better than any other pro sports franchise. And no one cares about the NBA so drop the sixers from the equation.

:tt02::tt02:

steelerdude15
07-04-2010, 04:27 PM
:amen:

steeldevil
07-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I agree Pittsburgh is the better sports city and its not close. However, I would not go as far as to say that Pitt is a college basketball powerhouse. Pitt has been consistently good the last few years and have a great coach, but they definately have not been a "powerhouse". But if Dixon stays there long term and not leave for more "sexy" jobs, then Pitt could become a top 10 level team consistently for a looong time..

steeldawg
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Does this question even have to be asked. You must have meant it to be rehtorical.

Wheelz
07-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Pittsburgh is indeed a much better sports town, totally agreed. I consider it a privilege to be surrounded by such knowledgeable sports fans, and I dare say I'm one of them.

On the subject of food, I beg to differ with one other poster in this thread--- Pittsburgh has every bit as good food as Philly, and in my opinion, it's better. Pizza, hot dogs, Italian food if all sorts, pierogies, various other Eastern European culinary influences? What's Philly got, seriously? Cheesesteak? It's cheeze-whiz, for crying out loud! They don't even use real cheese on those sandwiches! Give me an oven-baked hoagie at just about any mom & pop sandwich shop or pizzeria in the entire metro Pittsburgh area any day over that garbage.

Burghfan58
07-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Pittsburgh is indeed a much better sports town, totally agreed. I consider it a privilege to be surrounded by such knowledgeable sports fans, and I dare say I'm one of them.

On the subject of food, I beg to differ with one other poster in this thread--- Pittsburgh has every bit as good food as Philly, and in my opinion, it's better. Pizza, hot dogs, Italian food if all sorts, pierogies, various other Eastern European culinary influences? What's Philly got, seriously? Cheesesteak? It's cheeze-whiz, for crying out loud! They don't even use real cheese on those sandwiches! Give me an oven-baked hoagie at just about any mom & pop sandwich shop or pizzeria in the entire metro Pittsburgh area any day over that garbage.

Dannys hoagies... The best!!!

Akagi
07-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm the guy, and I'm not saying that Pittsburgh food isn't good; it's really, really good. We're in the "de gustibus non disputandum est" area here, and I have to agree that for you, you are right; but for me, Philly's is better. Sorry.

Freakin' Danny's hoagies are the best I've ever tasted, though. Last time my sister passed through on the way to visit, she brought a cooler full of them for us.

X-Terminator
07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I live about a mile away from Danny's, and man, their hoagies are definitely top-notch. :thumbsup:

st33lersguy
07-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Why is there even any debate on this issue? Pittsburgh has the stats and fans to back it up, Philthidelphia doesn't. Wonder what the philly arguements were?

Wheelz
07-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I live about a mile away from Danny's, and man, their hoagies are definitely top-notch. :thumbsup:

I wonder if they are open tomorrow? I'm off work and would love to try one! I've lived here 15 years and have never heard of it. Granted, I don't get over that far in the South Hills much, but you guys are making me hungry for a great Italian sub. :)

Akagi
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM

I've gotten close, but the secret is the roll. You can get good cold cuts, and quality cheese, if you look for them, and I have a great hoagie oil/dressing. But bread that crusts up like that on the outside yet stays soft and sweet on the inside, that is hard to find. A local store here, Wegman's was importing Italian rolls from Joey's in NYC for a while, and they were really close; but now they bake their rolls in house, and they're good, but they aren't Danny's and they don't behave like Danny's when they are wrapped and baked.

The best sandwiches in Philadelphia are the pork sandwiches at Tony Luke's. They are incredible.

I love Pittsburgh, my home town. There is great food there. But Philly is simply bigger. That means more places, which means more bad places, more average places... but what it really means is more GOOD places. And more GREAT places.

A good tour of Philly food can be found at http://www.hollyeats.com/Philadelphia.htm . He's also visited Western PA, and written up some places there.

Akagi
07-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Wheelz, you gotta. I grew up nearby, and

1) the last one I had, a couple months ago, was just as good as they were in the '60s and '70s, and

2) I've never had better, in a lifetime of eating.

Kittyfish
07-05-2010, 07:25 AM
My first post! And by now I'm off topic! The story of my life.

I just wanted to note that wherever I may go on my not-too-extensive travels, I almost always see someone in Steeler regalia, or at least get compliments on my own gear - Maryland, New York City, Cape Cod, Michigan, Mississippi, it doesn't matter. I remember watching a special on the Pyramids a while back and there was some working guy behind the talking head who was wearing a Steelers shirt. Didn't see no Eagle shirts there. And last time I checked, there hadn't been any Philly gear in orbit or in space, or Eagles Bars scattered across the country, never mind other countries, though I admit I haven't checked real recently. :-D

LLT
07-05-2010, 07:49 AM
My first post! And by now I'm off topic! The story of my life.

I just wanted to note that wherever I may go on my not-too-extensive travels, I almost always see someone in Steeler regalia, or at least get compliments on my own gear - Maryland, New York City, Cape Cod, Michigan, Mississippi, it doesn't matter. I remember watching a special on the Pyramids a while back and there was some working guy behind the talking head who was wearing a Steelers shirt. Didn't see no Eagle shirts there. And last time I checked, there hadn't been any Philly gear in orbit or in space, or Eagles Bars scattered across the country, never mind other countries, though I admit I haven't checked real recently. :-D

Have to agree with you completely!

I live in the midwest and I think people would be surprised how many Steelers Fans there are here. I like to point out all the Steelers license plate covers...the Steelers hats..the Steelers jackets...etc.....just to drive all the Bear fans crazy. I would say that even though I am 12 hours away from Pittsburgh I live in an area shose allegiance is somehere in the neighborhood of 60% Bear fans...20% Steelers Fans...and the rest spread out between the Packers, Colts and the Rams. 20%!!!!! It really highlights the popularity of the Steelers when about 2 out of every 10 people in a city in Illinois follow the team!!!!

BigNastyDefense
07-05-2010, 11:29 AM
1. Pittsburgh fans travel better. This is mainly Steelers, but when the Pens travel you always see Pens jerseys in the crowd. Can't say as much for the Pirates, but they have the longest steak of losing seasons among the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. So yeah, that's understandable.

2. Philthadelphia fans are totally crappy. The extent of their sports "knowledge" is that "[your team here] sucks!" Cowboys fans are better, at least they can give you legit reasons as to why their team might be better.

3. Pittsburgh fans, for the most part, are very knowledgeable. We'll come at you with facts why our team is better (well, unless we're arguing baseball).

BPS3akaWirels3
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Have to agree with you completely!

I live in the midwest and I think people would be surprised how many Steelers Fans there are here. I like to point out all the Steelers license plate covers...the Steelers hats..the Steelers jackets...etc.....just to drive all the Bear fans crazy. I would say that even though I am 12 hours away from Pittsburgh I live in an area shose allegiance is somehere in the neighborhood of 60% Bear fans...20% Steelers Fans...and the rest spread out between the Packers, Colts and the Rams. 20%!!!!! It really highlights the popularity of the Steelers when about 2 out of every 10 people in a city in Illinois follow the team!!!!

Do you live in IL?? If so what city? I lived in Decatur and Bloomington from 1996 thru 2002..

Probably not as I just figured 12 hrs from the Burgh is more like Iowa or Missouri..

BPS3akaWirels3
07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
1. Pittsburgh fans travel better. This is mainly Steelers, but when the Pens travel you always see Pens jerseys in the crowd. Can't say as much for the Pirates, but they have the longest steak of losing seasons among the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. So yeah, that's understandable.

2. Philthadelphia fans are totally crappy. The extent of their sports "knowledge" is that "[your team here] sucks!" Cowboys fans are better, at least they can give you legit reasons as to why their team might be better.

3. Pittsburgh fans, for the most part, are very knowledgeable. We'll come at you with facts why our team is better (well, unless we're arguing baseball).

Example being:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isksLw0jW8&feature=related

Wheelz
07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Wheelz, you gotta. I grew up nearby, and

1) the last one I had, a couple months ago, was just as good as they were in the '60s and '70s, and

2) I've never had better, in a lifetime of eating.

Well, I called and verified that they are open today over in Bethel Park. That's 6.2 miles from where I live, but so be it. That's a short drive for a classic taste of my 'Burgh. I'll let you know my impressions later. 8)

BPS3akaWirels3
07-05-2010, 02:03 PM

http://avatars.zenfs.com/users/1svhHauqPAAIB_EFxCCR6Cg==.medium.jpg [/URL]
User Rating: 2 out of 5 stars by [URL="http://local.yahoo.com/profile;_ylt=AiahYSuTUeE22crup206kXWKNcIF;_ylv=3?t arget=a_jvO7fb0e.AmhqNvnFFQFKIesD_zD_LT"]Val (http://local.yahoo.com/info-11822078-danny-s-pizza-bethel-park#yls-dt-card)

03/31/2009

Bunch of mexicans working there now, taking good american jobs. Danny's is not what it was, and never will be what it was. learn spanish before you go.Was this review helpful? 13 Report Abuse (http://local.yahoo.com/reportabuse?id=11822078&mid=8) | Subscribe to Val's reviews (http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=11822078&p=pnc+bank&csz=Bethel+Park%2C+PA+15102&tab=reviews&setalert=1&target=YEREFWBQIGGEYK6XKT76LIBSI4&lcscb=Oj5nofXBIJz&from=1)
Comments (1)

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/identity/nopic_48.gif Herman (http://local.yahoo.com/profile?target=almbnpOyiXOQiKXOdo6ucuAToG0VSoXI8)- 06/09/10
the Mexicans speak english and the hoagies are just as good as they've always been

Comment on Review
Post CommentCancel

Nice review.. lol They must be putting a little spice in them.. lol

Wheelz
07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Wel, I'm at Danny's right now, and both guys working are, in fact, hispanic. The place smells great, though! Looking forward to my sammich. :)

BPS3akaWirels3
07-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Wel, I'm at Danny's right now, and both guys working are, in fact, hispanic. The place smells great, though! Looking forward to my sammich. :)

So rude!!! How could you think of posting and telling us this knowing we aren't there.... Oh... The pain... Oh... The tempt of HOAGIES... LOL

X-Terminator
07-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, I called and verified that they are open today over in Bethel Park. That's 6.2 miles from where I live, but so be it. That's a short drive for a classic taste of my 'Burgh. I'll let you know my impressions later. 8)

Hmmm, well if that one's open, maybe the one on Rt. 51 is open too - that's the one I live closest to. If not, driving to Bethel Park is no problem - just a 15 minute drive from my home. Definitely let us know what you think. I moved out here 7 years ago from the North Side and had never in my life had a hoagie as good as Danny's!

Akagi
07-05-2010, 04:03 PM
According to Bourdain, if it wasn't for Hispanics no food would get cooked in the US.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't care who cooks my food as long as they are a citizen of these great states..

Vincent
07-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Pittsburgh became known as the "City of Champions" when the Steelers, Pirates, and Panthers won multiple championships. That legacy continues with the Steelers and Pens. I've always been proud of the city because of the people that live there and come from there. They're cut out of different cloth. The sports legacy is the icing.

There are three other things that make Pittsburgh for me - black & gold across the pro teams, we don't have freekin cheerleaders, and we don't have an NBA franchise.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1997/weekly/cover/0721/images/large/67lrg.jpg

Pittsburgh v Filthy? It isn't a contest.

Wheelz
07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Well, I see why you folks like it so much. I ordered a classic Italian, assuming that's what everyone would suggest, and I opted for a whole, thinking I could take the other half to work tomorrow for lunch.

The first thing that impressed me was the amount of cheese they put on; no kidding, I was reminded of Mineo's Pizza in Mt Lebanon, and when you find yourself thinking about the way a large pizza looks when watching them make a sandwich, that's a lot of cheese! The other side of the bun was coated in what I presume was oregano and oil, because within a minute, the smell was great. I was psyched for lunch, at that point, so I sat down & began surfing the interweb on my phone.

After about 10 minutes, I started getting concerned that the amigos had forgotten my grub in the oven, but I trusted that they knew what they were doing. I'm not sure how long they baked it, but it seemed like a long time. Anyway, I heard a voice say "#1" and that was mine. The guy was genuinely friendly, and that's always a good thing. In any case, I drove home like Mario Andretti and was very happy with my food. Like others have said, the bun is wonderful.... perfectly toasted, and the other ingredients meld together for a whole that is the best Italian hoagie I've ever eaten.

I'm sold.

X-Terminator
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Told ya! :wink02:

Akagi
07-05-2010, 08:28 PM
the best Italian hoagie I've ever eaten.

I'm sold.

Repeat after me: >BURP<.... AH!