PDA

View Full Version : Steelers TE Saunders grateful for long road to NFL

crcsnail
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Weslye Saunders spent nearly a year hearing the whispers. Endure the kind of self-inflicted hardship Saunders put himself through in 2010 and they're hard to ignore.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' rookie tight end doesn't blame those who labeled him a "cancer" and a "head case" — Saunders' words — following his inglorious exit at South Carolina.

His senior season ended before it even began when coach Steve Spurrier suspended Saunders for a violation of team rules. He was kicked off the team entirely a few weeks later then admitted to lying to NCAA investigators about staying at an off-campus hotel at a discounted rate.

They weren't the kind of headlines that impress NFL scouts, who are just as concerned about character as the 6-foot-5, 270-pound Saunders' combination of size, speed and soft hands.

read on here

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_steelers_saunders-15317248

Austin87
12-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Great read. I really like Saunders' upside. He has all the tools to be a starter in the NFL.

The Duke
12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Guy's blocking has greatly improved since preseason. He's a fast learner too

another great find for Colbert :thumbsup:

Chidi29
12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
He's shown improvement and his snap count has reflected that, but there's a still a long ways to go for Saunders. Blocking is still below average and that won't cut it for a 3rd string TE.

Steeltreal
12-01-2011, 07:07 PM
' "We're Young Money, but he's no money," Wallace said with a laugh. '

Should we be worried when the "Young Money Family" actually want to get paid . They are couple of 3 round picks and Brown a 6th. Not even close to "Hines Ward money" and hes retiring soon.

Devilsdancefloor
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
i hope he continues on the right path and i do think it helped him coming to the steelers he has so many folks to look up too and guide him in the right direction.

Count Steeler
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Nice big target for the Red Zone. Hopefully he can build on his TD from last week. As long as he keeps developing, he is a keeper.

Godfather
12-01-2011, 07:35 PM
' "We're Young Money, but he's no money," Wallace said with a laugh. '

Should we be worried when the "Young Money Family" actually want to get paid . They are couple of 3 round picks and Brown a 6th. Not even close to "Hines Ward money" and hes retiring soon.

We'll have to choose. We can't afford to keep Brown, Sanders, AND Wallace. Well, we can but we can't justify tying up that much cap room for the WR position.

Psycho Ward 86
12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Loved that TD. How good exactly was he in college? Anyone know?

Chidi29
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Loved that TD. How good exactly was he in college? Anyone know?

Was definitely an athlete with upside but all the off the field and injury problems plagued him.

XxKnightxX
12-02-2011, 03:50 AM
We'll have to choose. We can't afford to keep Brown, Sanders, AND Wallace. Well, we can but we can't justify tying up that much cap room for the WR position.

Wallace and Brown are priorities, Sanders is the odd man out if it has to come down to that.

X-Terminator
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Wallace and Brown are priorities, Sanders is the odd man out if it has to come down to that.

This.

Chidi29
12-02-2011, 11:54 AM

I doubt Saunders will cost much. Money for a #2, at best when the time comes for him, TE isn't very high.

salamander
12-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I doubt Saunders will cost much. Money for a #2, at best when the time comes for him, TE isn't very high.

I think they're referring to Emmanuel Sanders, not Weslye Saunders. They're talking about keeping all 3 of the "Young Money" group.