PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams looked "OK but not great" in recent Steelers workout

LLT
07-04-2010, 03:31 AM
Flozell Adams looked "OK but not great" in recent Steelers workout
Posted by Mike Florio
July 3, 2010 7:40 PM ET

Free-agent tackle Flozell Adams, who has found new demand for his services after Steelers right tackle Willie Colon tore his Achilles (which, as several of you have pointed out, is much better news than if tackle Willie Achilles had torn his colon), still remains available.

Adams' $4 million asking price has prevented him from getting a deal done. The price tag becomes even harder to justify in light of Adams' current abilities. As Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com points out, Adams looked "OK but not great" in his recent workout for the Steelers.

Maybe he would have looked better if he would have had a chance to trip someone during the session.

So with Flozell, a long-time Cowboy, apparently out of the picture for the Steelers (the Broncos reportedly remain interested), Pasquarelli points to free-agent arrival Jonathan Scott, who started eight games for the Bills in 2009 under new Pittsburgh offensive line coach Sean Kugler, as the possible in-house solution. Pasquarelli also believes that it's "not likely" that the Steelers will slide first-rounder Maurkice Pouncey all the way out to right tackle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/03/flozell-adams-looked-ok-but-not-great-in-recent-steelers-workout/

HometownGal
07-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Looks like we are going to have to rely on Scott to get the job done, as Flozell's pricetag is way too high. Oh well - we're just going to have to pray that the football gods are good to us this season and that Scott can at least partially fill Colon's cleats. :pray: The entire OL is just going to have to pull together and find a way to make it happen and with Kugler at the helm, anything is possible, as I have the utmost confidence in him.

LLT
07-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Looks like we are going to have to rely on Scott to get the job done, as Flozell's pricetag is way too high. Oh well - we're just going to have to pray that the football gods are good to us this season and that Scott can at least partially fill Colon's cleats. :pray: The entire OL is just going to have to pull together and find a way to make it happen and with Kugler at the helm, anything is possible, as I have the utmost confidence in him.

If Scott makes the team...it will probably push Legursky off. But I understand that having three players who can play center is overkill. I would have liked to have been able to keep Legursky as Pounceys backup next year when Hartwig leaves.

Galax Steeler
07-04-2010, 07:19 AM
If Scott makes the team...it will probably push Legursky off. But I understand that having three players who can play center is overkill. I would have liked to have been able to keep Legursky as Pounceys backup next year when Hartwig leaves.

I think there is no way around it Hartwig will be gone next year. Hopefully we can retain legursky he is not a bad back up at all.

steelpride12
07-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Well looks like there is no way Adams is going to be on this team. A not so hot practice and a price tag worth too much. Scott just has to step in and do his best. I just pray he will be able to at least do Colon's job and keep this line together.

Killer
07-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Fire Colbert and let Shero do the signings

He has a 'Plan B'

LLT
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I think there is no way around it Hartwig will be gone next year. Hopefully we can retain legursky he is not a bad back up at all.

Totally agree...He can play OC/OG and FB!!!! I really hope they can find a place for him on the roster.

Devilsdancefloor
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Well i really think they will find in house replacement. I do not think there is a decon shower big enough for adams to get in and wash off that stink of the cryboys

Vincent
07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Totally agree...He can play OC/OG and FB!!!! I really hope they can find a place for him on the roster.

Having never been a long snapper, I don't know the answer to this question. Why is it not reasonable to have a Legursky on the roster to long snap instead of using a spot for a dedicated long snapper? We like multidimensional players. Is snapping long such a departure from regular center that a center can't learn that special skill? Seems to me that a guy that could play OC/OG, FB, and long snapper would be a good use of a roster spot.

TroysBarber
07-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Flozell Adams looked "OK but not great"

Actually, being ok would make him one of our better O Linemen, although I would think that an "ok" tackle could be found cheaper than 4 million $.

Psycho Ward 86
07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Having never been a long snapper, I don't know the answer to this question. Why is it not reasonable to have a Legursky on the roster to long snap instead of using a spot for a dedicated long snapper? We like multidimensional players. Is snapping long such a departure from regular center that a center can't learn that special skill? Seems to me that a guy that could play OC/OG, FB, and long snapper would be a good use of a roster spot.

uh not all centers can longsnap.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-04-2010, 04:55 PM

He isn't saying that. He is talking about a player who does more than just longsnap. Like maybe a back-up linebacker. That way we save a roster spot. How many plays does a long snapper get a game 10? 15 at the most? If you get a multi-versatile player you open up room for maybe a young guy or special teams ace.

Chidi29
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM

I don't know the specifics of it, but I've read that long snapping is very different than a regular snap for a center.

We did sign Matt Stewart who can apparently play a little linebacker. But if Warren is healthy, I expect him to make the team.

Chidi29
07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
As for the workout, it really shouldn't be all that surprising to anyone. You know what you're getting. No one is painting him to be an All-star. We know he's declining. He was going to look poor at any drills that tied into lateral quickness and agility.

If he's healthy, in shape, and showed good upper body strength, the workout was a success. Money is the bigger issue with him.

ALLD
07-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Not all longsnappers can play LBer and vice-versa.

st33lersguy
07-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I guess the steelers were too cheap to pay $4 million for a decent temporary replacement

Killer
07-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Actually, being ok would make him one of our better O Linemen.

ain't that the truth

LLT
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Legursky didnt long snap in college...but after his senior year (and before the combine) he was working at long snapping to bolster his resume...I quess the obvious assumption is that he has never reached a level of proficiency that has warranted cutting the current long-snapper.