PDA

View Full Version : WOW!! Tressel to my Alma Mater?

suitanim
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
One day after Meyer signs on with the the Bucks, rumors are flying all over Akron (reported by Lake County Sentinel, confirmed by a UA official) that Jim Tressel is on the campus of the University of Akron and will not walk off the campus without an offer to coach the Zips.

Tressel got his Master's at UA, and started his coaching career there. This is a lot of smoke, but there is definitely some fire. My Zips have been the worst team in D1-A almost perennially, and I've been a season ticket holder forever. This is a VERY exciting time right now...this would change everything.

suitanim
02-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Hired this morning as..................a Vice President.

Rumor is he's going to lead the fundraising effort to build a new basketball arena. We just hired Terry Bowden to coach football, but............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....5 year show clause. Holding a place for him?

Interesting....

SteelMember
02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
The newly formed position of...

Vice president for strategic engagement. :huh:

All for the price of 200K. I guess his Pro interviews didn't go that well.

86WARD
02-02-2012, 12:32 PM
They need a guy that's good at getting money...lol...GREAT HIGHER! Get yo sharpies ready boys!

SteelMember
02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
This "non-athletics" position was about the only way he was going to see a college campus... for 5 years anyway.

You do have to admit, Akron is getting some big names.

Tressel, Bowden, Amato

GBMelBlount
02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I read about this. Very cool for Akron.

...always wondered why they were called the "Zips"

suitanim
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
I read about this. Very cool for Akron.

...always wondered why they were called the "Zips"

Rubber capitol of the World (back in the day): Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone et al were all based here. The zipper was a rubber show that some dude invented (Akron is also home of the Inventors Hall of Fame) that was super popular back in the day. Mascot is a female Kangaroo (get it.....zippered marsupial pouch?).

BigNastyDefense
02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Rubber capitol of the World (back in the day): Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone et al were all based here. The zipper was a rubber show that some dude invented (Akron is also home of the Inventors Hall of Fame) that was super popular back in the day. Mascot is a female Kangaroo (get it.....zippered marsupial pouch?).

I always figured it was because Kangaroos zip around pretty fast.