PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu Likely To Miss Time Due To Latest Head Injury

86WARD
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers may be without former Defensive Player of the Year Troy Polamalu in Week 13 due to a head injury, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that Polamalu was dealing with concussion-like symptoms after Sunday night's 13-6 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. The Southern California alum suffered a head injury in Week 6 against the Jacksonville Jaguars, but was cleared to play the following week. It appears getting clearance won't be so easy this time. "I think it could be a bit before we see Polamalu again," concluded Schefter.

Source: National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Polamalu-could-miss-some-time-with-head-injury.html)

86WARD
11-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Entering Bob Sanders territory...

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Entering Bob Sanders territory...

Nooooo not Brittle Bob!!!

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2011, 10:38 PM
And really Schefter? That's all you have for us? Hardly convincing and doesn't sound like a reliable source...yet.

fansince'76
11-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Well, guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow when Tomlin gives his weekly presser.

The Duke
11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
And really Schefter? That's all you have for us? Hardly convincing and doesn't sound like a reliable source...yet.

agree. He thinks we won't see him for a while. All speculation for now

hoping for good news though....

Merchant
11-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Ehh. I really don't trust this source. It seemed like Troy was taken out as precaution more than anything since it was the Chiefs we were facing.

O'Malley
11-28-2011, 11:24 PM
I heard it was a mild concussion and he was looking to play next week.. We will definatly know sunday..

HollywoodSteel
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
He's been cleared to play. He'll play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/report-polamalu-will-play-despite-another-head-injury

zulater
11-29-2011, 01:20 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/report-polamalu-will-play-despite-another-head-injury

Douchebag Steeler hater Florio makes it sound as if the Steelers are being reckless.

Meanwhile closer to the truth we have this.

https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac

Troy Polamalu is fine and will play vs. Bengals. He was clear and lucid by halftime but kept out because of league rules.

zulater
11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
The Steelers had no update Monday on Polamalu's condition.

"I don't know at this juncture if it was a concussion," Tomlin said after Sunday's game. "I want to be clear there."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11333/1193295-66-0.stm#ixzz1f4pD2blz

Bluecoat96
11-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Mike Florio is nothing more than a media whore who's desperate for hits on his shitty website. Heck with solid reporting, let's just make money!!!

:countdown

HometownGal
11-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Well, guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow when Tomlin gives his weekly presser.

Bingo. I'm not putting stock in anything regarding Troy until I hear it from Coach T.

GodfatherofSoul
11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
OT, can someone explain if there's a different between getting knocked out or getting hit hard enough to get woozy and a concussion?

steelerdude15
11-29-2011, 10:34 AM
OT, can someone explain if there's a different between getting knocked out or getting hit hard enough to get woozy and a concussion?
You don't have to be knocked unconscious to suffer a concussion. You can still be conscious and suffer one, but if I'm correct, it wouldn't be as severe if you're still conscious, but Troy looked to have been unconscious from the way his body hit the ground after the tackle. He probably did suffer one.

steeldevil
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Hopefully he is okay and can play Sunday, but if there is any question then sit him.

fansince'76
11-29-2011, 11:55 AM
The latest from Steelers.com:

..."Troy hasn’t had any concussion symptoms since we have been back here,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “All things are positive in terms of his potential participation this week. Obviously we’ll continue to err on the side of caution"...

...“He’ll have to pass a battery of tests in order to participate,” said Tomlin. “We are comfortable at this juncture that will happen. We won’t assume anything with his health or anyone else’s.”...

Read more: All things positive for Polamalu (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/All-things-positive-for-Polamalu/053b5b76-124b-40a2-9941-3e1582768525)

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2011, 06:08 PM

Douchebag Steeler hater Florio makes it sound as if the Steelers are being reckless.

Meanwhile closer to the truth we have this.

https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac

Troy Polamalu is fine and will play vs. Bengals. He was clear and lucid by halftime but kept out because of league rules.

LOL Florio and Shefter...guys like them pretty much confirm that News is the only field that you can go to where you can suck at your job and never get fired.

zulater
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
You don't have to be knocked unconscious to suffer a concussion. You can still be conscious and suffer one, but if I'm correct, it wouldn't be as severe if you're still conscious, but Troy looked to have been unconscious from the way his body hit the ground after the tackle. He probably did suffer one.

He also impacted his shoulder pretty good. How do you know he didn't just get the wind knocked out of him? I saw no indication that he was ever unconscious, I just saw him take a minute or so to gather himself before taking his feet. And once he did, I didn't see any staggering that you would associate with someone who's concussed.

It was a stand alone game, I think the Steelers were scared to put Troy back in more from the expected public backlash , than any worries about his health. and I don't mean that as in they were being callous or indifferent to Troy's well being. I mean it in the way that Troy was never concussed, but the perception of the league was that he may have been, so their hands were tied.

Imagine if the same sort of injury befalls Aaron Rodgers early in the Super Bowl, and the league prohibits the Packers from putting him back in the game despite there never having been any sort of head trauma. That would go over well with the public I'll bet.

GodfatherofSoul
11-30-2011, 02:31 AM
(It was pretty obvious from the stands that he was woozy. He had a slight problem getting up for a second, and even stumbled a bit. I think it was Clarke standing behind him helping him stand up straight while the trainers talked to him. They did this weird check of his shoulder, but I'm certain that was nothing more than one of those "it's not a concussion" tricks coaches use (like Hines' "stinger" after getting hit in the head by Ray Lewis).

zulater
11-30-2011, 06:26 AM
(It was pretty obvious from the stands that he was woozy. He had a slight problem getting up for a second, and even stumbled a bit. I think it was Clarke standing behind him helping him stand up straight while the trainers talked to him. They did this weird check of his shoulder, but I'm certain that was nothing more than one of those "it's not a concussion" tricks coaches use (like Hines' "stinger" after getting hit in the head by Ray Lewis).

I've had the wind knocked out of me and displayed the very same symptoms.

BnG_Hevn
11-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I've had the wind knocked out of me and displayed the very same symptoms.

Having the wind knocked out of you is one of the worst things to feel. Catching your breath AFTER having the wind knocked out of you feels better than sex.

HometownGal
12-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Catching your breath AFTER having the wind knocked out of you feels better than sex.

:lol: Well - I wouldn't go quite that far. :heh:

tube517
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Having the wind knocked out of you is one of the worst things to feel. Catching your breath AFTER having the wind knocked out of you feels better than sex.

Did you mean catching your breath after sex feels better than having the wind knocked out of you? :chuckle:

steelerdude15
12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
He also impacted his shoulder pretty good. How do you know he didn't just get the wind knocked out of him? I saw no indication that he was ever unconscious, I just saw him take a minute or so to gather himself before taking his feet. And once he did, I didn't see any staggering that you would associate with someone who's concussed.

It was a stand alone game, I think the Steelers were scared to put Troy back in more from the expected public backlash , than any worries about his health. and I don't mean that as in they were being callous or indifferent to Troy's well being. I mean it in the way that Troy was never concussed, but the perception of the league was that he may have been, so their hands were tied.

Imagine if the same sort of injury befalls Aaron Rodgers early in the Super Bowl, and the league prohibits the Packers from putting him back in the game despite there never having been any sort of head trauma. That would go over well with the public I'll bet.
You won't receive every symptom of a concussion if one occurs, just because he didn't stagger doesn't mean he didn't get one.

zulater
12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
You won't receive every symptom of a concussion if one occurs, just because he didn't stagger doesn't mean he didn't get one.

The thing is none of us know if Troy did or didn't have a concussion. A whole lot of assuming is going on, but not by me.

steelerdude15
12-01-2011, 06:45 PM
The thing is none of us know if Troy did or didn't have a concussion. A whole lot of assuming is going on, but not by me.
I know what you're saying. I hope he didn't get one, but we probably won't find out for sometime.

BigNastyDefense
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM
It was never said that Troy Polamalu had a concussion. The only ones that know are Troy, the doctors, and Tomlin. It was never officially announced that he had a concussion, just speculation from the media and fans.

I have had concussion symptoms but never actually had a concussion. I have had the wind knocked out of me, layed on the ground like I was unconscious & was wobbly when I got up, all symptoms of a concussion but I didn't have one. I also had a concussion once and I didn't show any of the symptoms of one when I got hit in the head by a fastball.

If the coaches say he was fine by halftime but kept Troy out due to NFL rules, then I am going to say that he probably never had a concussion to begin with.

And this is where the NFL is going overboard with trying to "protect" players from concussions. If the team doctors say that the player is fine, they should be allowed back in the game. But the second a player doesn't get up right away or gets up and goes back down to a knee, the first thing out of the mouths of the announcers is "concussion" and then the team can't put the player back in because everyone things the jackasses in the booth can diagnose a guy without being doctors or knowing anythings.

zulater
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
It was never said that Troy Polamalu had a concussion. The only ones that know are Troy, the doctors, and Tomlin. It was never officially announced that he had a concussion, just speculation from the media and fans.

I have had concussion symptoms but never actually had a concussion. I have had the wind knocked out of me, layed on the ground like I was unconscious & was wobbly when I got up, all symptoms of a concussion but I didn't have one. I also had a concussion once and I didn't show any of the symptoms of one when I got hit in the head by a fastball.

If the coaches say he was fine by halftime but kept Troy out due to NFL rules, then I am going to say that he probably never had a concussion to begin with.

And this is where the NFL is going overboard with trying to "protect" players from concussions. If the team doctors say that the player is fine, they should be allowed back in the game. But the second a player doesn't get up right away or gets up and goes back down to a knee, the first thing out of the mouths of the announcers is "concussion" and then the team can't put the player back in because everyone things the jackasses in the booth can diagnose a guy without being doctors or knowing anythings.

Great post on every front! :applaudit:

And on the last paragraph, what happens if Aaron Rodgers is slow getting up in a playoff game after a low neck, high shoulder type impact such as what Troy suffered? Say similar to Troy, Aaron lobbies soon after to get back into the game. Is the NFL going to mandate that the Packers keep him out the rest of the game and possibly reshape the playoffs from that point on?

86WARD
12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah...the NFL loves parody...

HollywoodSteel
12-02-2011, 03:10 PM

I agree with the point you are making but Tomlin actually did call it a concussion in an interview I heard on NFL Satellite radio this week. But that's not to say there isn't large spectrum when it comes to that word. All in all, given that we won anyway, I'm glad we erred on the side of caution for the remainder of that game.