PDA

View Full Version : Saunders TD = Calvin Johnson rule

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Did anyone else see that? Big Ben made a beautiful shoulder shrug to fake out a blitzer then tosses a perfect tip toe TD to Wes Saunders, but Saunders actually didnt complete the process of the catch to the very end via the Calvin Johnson rule.

Random observation, i was holding my breath that the Chiefs wouldnt challenge it and thank God they didnt, we could be sitting at 7-4 right now lol

pepsyman1
11-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes he did...He never let go of the ball. He went down holding out with one hand and then brought it back to his body, he never let it go

SteelerFanInStl
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Yes he did...He never let go of the ball.

Exactly. Saunders had the ball the whole time.

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 10:53 PM
The whole time = the PROCESS of the catch, he was still rolling around and immediately used the ball to get up and supplant himself. Pretty sure i interpreted the rule correctly from the several plays that ive seen the rule come into play. could be wrong i guess. Chidi?

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
The whole time = the PROCESS of the catch, he was still rolling around and immediately used the ball to get up and supplant himself. Pretty sure i interpreted the rule correctly from the several plays that ive seen the rule come into play. could be wrong i guess. Chidi?

But he never lost control/let go of the ball, so the rule does not apply. And evidently the replay officials agree since they review every TD.

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 11:02 PM
But he never lost control/let go of the ball, so the rule does not apply. And evidently the replay officials agree since they review every TD.

Oh i see. What do they define as process of the catch then, because that one still confuses me. Especially after Jermaine Gresham's non-TD last week, and Calvin Johnson's non-TD a season or two ago.

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh i see. What do they define as process of the catch then, because that one still confuses me. Especially after Jermaine Gresham's non-TD last week, and Calvin Johnson's non-TD a season or two ago.

You have to maintain control of the ball all the way through the catch if you go to the ground. If you lose control of the ball after you hit the ground, it can be ruled incomplete. Personally I think the rule sucks, but that's what it is.

O'Malley
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM

This^ when the ball hit the ground it did not move in his hand, so it's a catch.

fansince'76
11-27-2011, 11:16 PM

It's a toss-up, nowadays. Half the time they get the damn call wrong either way. It's a stupid rule anyway.

Chidi29
11-27-2011, 11:29 PM

I thought it was a clean catch but would have to take a closer look at it. What everyone else is aaying seems to be on the mark. Was too busy jumping around in celebration of his first touchdown.

7willBheaven
11-28-2011, 12:26 AM
If you watch it, he gets up with the ball and drops it on his way to standing up...plus you can see the ball bounce around/etc after he drops it. He did not just leave it sitting on the ground/etc. It was a TD not "Calvin Johnson rule" or whatever applies here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYCyn7ewg3s

st33lersguy
11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
That was a nice catch. I wish Mike Wallace would have done something like that in tonight's game

Chidi29
11-28-2011, 12:47 AM
That was a nice catch. I wish Mike Wallace would have done something like that in tonight's game

When you're that noticeable of a deep thrsat, sometimes you get bottled up. Wished that would've opened up the rest of the crew but it obviously didn't...

Steeldude
11-28-2011, 01:41 AM
he never lost control of the ball so it's a legal catch.

86WARD
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM

This.

Chidi29
11-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Did anyone else see that? Big Ben made a beautiful shoulder shrug to fake out a blitzer then tosses a perfect tip toe TD to Wes Saunders, but Saunders actually didnt complete the process of the catch to the very end via the Calvin Johnson rule.

Random observation, i was holding my breath that the Chiefs wouldnt challenge it and thank God they didnt, we could be sitting at 7-4 right now lol

To add onto what Terminator said, Haley couldn't challenge it even if he wanted to. Because of the automatic review, any attempt to challenge is a 15 yard penalty. Happened to Harbaugh in the "Handshake-gate" game.

Animal Mother
11-29-2011, 03:59 PM
If you watch it, he gets up with the ball and drops it on his way to standing up...plus you can see the ball bounce around/etc after he drops it. He did not just leave it sitting on the ground/etc. It was a TD not "Calvin Johnson rule" or whatever applies here.

That video quality sucks. I saw it in HD and the ball literally never moves in his hand, he has control of it the entire time, through the ground and getting up, then he just drops it behind him. I hate the catch rule too, but I hope every coach tells the players not to leave any doubt. If I were the coach, I would tell them I don't care what happens, you hold on to that ball until you get to the sideline.

tube517
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM
He dropped it. The refs are in the Steelers back pockets. :chuckle:

steel striker
11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
That was a great catch and, a good throw by Ben. The ball did not move but, as we have seen this year you have to hold your breath once the zebras look at it.

fansince'76
11-29-2011, 07:52 PM
He dropped it. The refs are in the Steelers back pockets. :chuckle:

ZOMG! DA STEALERS PAYED DA REFS!!!

:chuckle: