PDA

View Full Version : ugly win,but it is a win.

polamalubeast
11-27-2011, 10:24 PM
The Steelers are 8-3 and that's what's important.

It's better a win than... ...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201110300ram.htm

fansince'76
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Yep, I'll take it. Beats what happened in '09.

kmsteelerwr15
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I will definitely take the win. I just hope we bounce back next week offensively.

Edman
11-27-2011, 10:30 PM
The Ravens dropped three games like tonight this year. Think they're taking solace in that?

Better than 2009, where they would have lost this game. The Steelers are due for a performance like this every year. Last year at Buffalo ring a bell?

A win is a win. Kept the pressure on Baltimore.

Carolina Steelers
11-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I agree a win is a win, but we got alot of work today. Not worried about style points just get the win

polamalubeast
11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
The Steelers were bad at SNF this year.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Yep, I'll take it. Beats what happened in '09.

I know. I was at that game. This was nearly a repeat.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:34 PM

In order for this team to play well, they have to be an underdog or have a chip on their shoulder.

They treated this game like it was a Homecoming game.

43Hitman
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm glad that we won the game, but man its disturbing to see us playing down to our opponents.

st33lersguy
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
A win is a win and that is all that matters but holy hell they can't keep teams in the game like this. It is a blessing they played Tyler Palko and that number 88 ran into the running back on that one play

psusteelerspens4life
11-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I hope this was one of those games to shake out the cobwebs after a bye kinda thing. Though i didn't think they would play this poorly on offense.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM
I hope this was one of those games to shake out the cobwebs after a bye kinda thing. Though i didn't think they would play this poorly on offense.

The cobwebs should have been shaken out long before this. This offense blows. Too many games like this...with 2nd half complete meltdowns...to say otherwise. 20+ points for this bunch is quite an accomplishment.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm happy with the result, but not much else.

It's a week to week league, I really don't think there will be a carryover from this.

stillers4me
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1647516512/Head_normal.jpgDejan_Kovacevic (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/Dejan_Kovacevic)Dejan Kovacevic

This is neat Keenan Lewis, who made last pick, told me he knew pass would come his way based on recognizing alignment from film. #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers)

tihmtahm
11-27-2011, 10:59 PM
If we keep winning ugly like that, we're going to have to change our names to the Tim Tebow's!

siss
11-27-2011, 11:05 PM
A win is a win is a win is a win is a win forever and ever ABen!

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
If we keep winning ugly like that, we're going to have to change our names to the Tim Tebow's!

:lol:

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM

:rofl2:

steelreserve
11-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't really buy the whole "ugly win" thing or all this worrying about "OMG the offense played horribly." The Chiefs played good defense, that's all. We played better defense. It's not like I saw a ton of mistakes on our part. Give them some credit.

O'Malley
11-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Ugly, sloppy, but a win... Whether we win by 30 or 4 a win is a win... Bye week? Seems it hasn't treated teams very well this year.

BigNastyDefense
11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
If this was college football, this game would have hurt us in the standings (unless we play in the SEC that is).

But luckily, this is the NFL where it doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 100 all wins count equally. All that matters at the end of the day is record of your team.

Did the offense suck monkey balls today? Yes. Watch next week, the Steelers will drop 30 something points on Cincinnati.

NCSteeler
11-27-2011, 11:25 PM

That's funny, but I'm not sure we could even beat Denver right now.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 11:28 PM
That's funny, but I'm not sure we could even beat Denver right now.

The Steelers definitely couldn't score on their defense.

Moose
11-27-2011, 11:29 PM
We won this game because Ben is a great QB. The Chiefs defense was all over our Offense. Ben was on the run pretty much every play. I agree, a win is a win, but I thought it was terrible playing on our part.....offense and defense. We should have scored 30+ points with the turnovers we got. In the RED ZONE 3 times in the beginning and come away with 3 points total !! Are you Fukin kidding me ?? You think that is acceptable with the amount of talent this team has ??!! We get all of these turnovers and only have 13pts to show. And if K.Lewis wouldn't have intercepted that final pass I'm not so sure that we could have held KC from scoring a TD for a win. I know I was sitting on the edge of my chair nervous as hell. How many games have we've seen the last minute drives by opposing team go right down the field and score with no time left ? The last Balt. game comes to mind. I'm almost positive that IF the Steeler's play next week like they did this week....the bungholes will win. I personally think the Steeler's need to 'run the table' to win division......I can see Balt. having trouble with the Browns. I think the Browns defense is starting to come together. I think the Browns could beat the rat's. GO STEELER's !!

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:30 PM
The Steelers definitely couldn't score on their defense.

Sure they could.

They played a bad game. It doesn't mean all of a sudden they stink.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Sure they could.

They played a bad game. It doesn't mean all of a sudden they stink.

Perhaps they could score field goals. The 2nd half offense the Steelers have displayed this year is terrible. This isn't a one time thing. It's a trend.

This is not a good Chiefs team they played tonight..and they struggled on offense.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
We're 8-3, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I think if I'm Tomlin I just burn the game film and move on. I'm not sure that the best thing you could do is just put this one behind you asap.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Perhaps they could score field goals. The 2nd half offense the Steelers have displayed this year is terrible. This isn't a one time thing. It's a trend.

This is not a good Chiefs team they played tonight..and they struggled on offense.

So do we forget the wins over the Patriots and Bengals, chalk them up as a fluke?

It was a bad night, this is still a good team.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
So do we forget the wins over the Patriots and Bengals, chalk them up as a fluke?

It was a bad night, this is still a good team.

The 2nd half offense and Redzone offense this year has been terrible. The Patriots and Bengals should have been put away long before they were.

If this team is going to go anywhere this season, this needs to be fixed.

Moose
11-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Exactly BlastFurnace !! The Red Zone is pathetic !! The chiefs should have NEVER been in this game......there should have NEVER been a final drive in the final minutes that could have led to the chiefs scoring a WINNING TD !! Give me a break !! The game should have been pretty well over in the 1st quarter. 3 times in the Red Zone and we get a pathetic 3 POINTS !! Totally unacceptable and if I was Tomlin I'd be demanding something be done. You can't go into the playoffs with a team that 'freezes' in the Red Zone....or come out in the 2nd half and can't put teams away. We have talent that can score !

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm unhappy with tonight's game. Outside of the W I take virtually no pleasure in this game, in fact i doubt I'll be able to force myself to watch the game on NFL rewind later this week.

That said I don't think tonight's performance is reflective of anything other than a bad game. Good teams usually manage to win a couple they probably shouldn't. This is one of those.

Edman
11-28-2011, 12:02 AM

Yep. The Steelers on SNF seems to equate to a rough game. Last year featured two ugly losses to New Orleans and New England.

Thankfully, this is the last SNF game the Steelers will be on this year.

smokin3000gt
11-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I hate that we play down to our opponents but I've learned that how we play this week is not indicative of how we'll play next week. We always seem to bring just enough sauce to win the game. Next week we will play how we need to for another win. Some weeks it's the offense that wins the game, other weeks it's the defense. Next week Ben's thumb will be a little better, and Troy should be back on the grass.

fansince'76
11-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Next week Ben's thumb will be a little better, and Troy should be back on the grass.

Hopefully with Woodley in tow. Our pass rush has been lacking.

Edman
11-28-2011, 12:14 AM
It's a trend.

A trend that has been going for the past five seasons now. I'm pretty sure most people are tired of it. On a night where the Steelers Defense gets back to their old ways of generating turnovers, the offense goes back to their old ways of falling apart. The Offense falling asleep in crunch time has just as much to do with these ugly wins/late game collapses than the Defense giving up long drives to lose the game. Of course, the Defense gets the blame.

The D has more often saved the day than not, while the O has not ONCE took over a game and won it. Ever.

fansince'76
11-28-2011, 12:16 AM
The D has more often saved the day than not, while the O has not ONCE took over a game and won it. Ever.

Uh, SB XLIII, anyone?

X-Terminator
11-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Uh, SB XLIII, anyone?

Or the Titans, Cards and Pats* games this season, for that matter.

Boomerang
11-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Not the best performance but a W it is.Our O and playcalling need some work if we are going to roll all the way.

steelreserve
11-28-2011, 03:25 AM
I seriously don't get some of the pessimism here. To me, this looked like a well-contested game, where each side got about the normal amount of breaks that you'd expect in a football game, and the better team ended up grinding it out. Nothing wrong with that.

Instead, we exaggerate the hell out of everything to make it a showdown of extremes. It's like ... we got a turnover - OMG THE DEFENSE WAS GREAT! We gave up a turnover - OMG THE OFFENSE SUCKS SHIT! Well, no. I don't think it goes either way with that. Yeah, we were expected to dominate their incompetent offense, which we did - but does it really blow people's mind that much to consider that the other team played good defense? No, instead it has to be that our offense is fundamentally flawed because it didn't put up 50 points. Our guys dropped a few balls that were not really easy catches, big whoop, and there were a ton of times when we couldn't get the offense moving because guys were just not open. It just was not as easy to move the ball against these guys as we would have thought, and whether it's because they played above their heads on this one night or because they're actually somewhat good, I don't care. We got out of there with the win, and that's all. Fuckin' a.

suitanim
11-28-2011, 05:30 AM
This is not 2005. Our road performances have been pretty lackluster all year. It means we need homefield advantage if we want to advance in the playoffs. We have:
-Cinci and Cleveland at home the next two weeks. The Bungles have been trickier to beat at Heinz than on the road. These are two winnable games we need to win. That puts us at 10-3
-San Fran ON THE ROAD. Their D is better than KC's. Their O is better than KC's (although not impressive). This is the key game of the season. If we can win this we can go 13-3. I have us losing this game though...
-Rams at home. Rams are terrible. We're at home.
-Browns in Cleveland. Their defense is also better than KC's. This is their Super Bowl. This is a trap game. We need to win this game. 12-4 SHOULD get us two home games. 13-3 and another loss by the Rats (and they will lose again) and we get a bye and homefield throughout.

There is no wiggle room or margin of error. Our offense looked like dogshit last night, OL looked bad, timing was off, just stuck in 1st...that is the last we can see of that this season if we hope to get back to the big dance.

venom
11-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Lets hope the Ravens lays an egg in Cleveland this Sunday

Count Steeler
11-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Lets hope the Ravens lays an egg in Cleveland this Sunday

And we don't crack any of our own.

BlacknGoldBabe
11-28-2011, 07:24 AM
12 - 4 would be good enough IF the Ratbirds lay a couple of eggs these last couple of weeks. They do own the tie breaker, unfortunately.

SteelerEmpire
11-28-2011, 08:12 AM
This game was so ugly I almost got physically ill watching it. Outside of the Patriots game, this team has been playing sloppy all year in my opinion. Ike Taylor had better hands than Mike Wallace in that game.

polamalubeast
11-28-2011, 08:18 AM
We must not panic for the game in the offense against the chiefs.

It was the worst game of Roethlisberger since week 4, Moore has made ​​a terrible fumble in the beginning of game, the Steelers were unable to convert the 3rd down and the offense had too many penalties.

But we must not panic, it's just a bad game in my opinion.

We must to stop making overraction at every bad game.

salamander
11-28-2011, 08:52 AM
This isn't the BCS. It doesn't matter how you get the W, as long as you get that W.

BlastFurnace
11-28-2011, 09:21 AM
We must not panic for the game in the offense against the chiefs.

It was the worst game of Roethlisberger since week 4, Moore has made ​​a terrible fumble in the beginning of game, the Steelers were unable to convert the 3rd down and the offense had too many penalties.

But we must not panic, it's just a bad game in my opinion.

We must to stop making overraction at every bad game.

Problem is, this isn't just a one game problem.

The ineffectiveness of the offense in the Redzone and 2nd half of games has been going on beyond this season.

Ben needs to take what the defense gives him. That's when this offense runs it's best. They are not the Greatest Show on Turf that they think they are with all of this "lighting up the scoreboard" and "Young Money" talk.

I don't know if it is Arians or just a lack of focus on offense, but this is surely not just a one game problem. This team has big issues on offense.

This team has a huge problem keeping the pedal pressed down for 60 minutes.

polamalubeast
11-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Problem is, this isn't just a one game problem.

The ineffectiveness of the offense in the Redzone and 2nd half of games has been going on beyond this season.

Ben needs to take what the defense gives him. That's when this offense runs it's best. They are not the Greatest Show on Turf that they think they are with all of this "lighting up the scoreboard" and "Young Money" talk.

I don't know if it is Arians or just a lack of focus on offense, but this is surely not just a one game problem. This team has big issues on offense.

This team has a huge problem keeping the pedal pressed down for 60 minutes.

It's not the first year that the offense was a slump during the season but in the past, they proved they could correct their problem.

Since 2004, in the playoffs, the Steelers scored on average 26.8 points per game and they have always scored at least 20 points in each of their 13 games.

For this reason, I'm not very worried, because the steelers in the past have proved that they could correct the problems on offense at the end of the season.

BlastFurnace
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM
It's not the first year that the offense was a slump during the season but in the past, they proved they could correct their problem.

Since 2004, in the playoffs, the Steelers scored on average 26.8 points per game and they have always scored at least 20 points in each of their 13 games.

For this reason, I'm not very worried, because the steelers in the past have proved that they could correct the problems on offense at the end of the season.

Whiz was the OC from 2004 through 2006.

They haven't corrected the problem at all this year and haven't since Arians has been in charge. It's the same thing week in and week out with the Steelers offense. They don't like the offense that chews up yards a little at a time. They like the "Showtime" offense that looks dramatic...which they aren't any good at.

Watch the replay of the INT Ben threw at the beginning of the 2nd half. He had Brown running right in front of him running wide open in the middle of the field.

polamalubeast
11-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Whiz was the OC from 2004 through 2006.

They haven't corrected the problem at all this year and haven't since Arians has been in charge. It's the same thing week in and week out with the Steelers offense. They don't like the offense that chews up yards a little at a time. They like the "Showtime" offense that looks dramatic...which they aren't any good at.

Watch the replay of the INT Ben threw at the beginning of the 2nd half. He had Brown running right in front of him running wide open in the middle of the field.

With Bruce Arians as OC,it is 194 points in seven games in the playoffs

Godfather
11-28-2011, 10:11 AM
This isn't the BCS. It doesn't matter how you get the W, as long as you get that W.

I wish it were. That would mean the Rats would be "rewarded" for beating us by having to play a couple of additional tough games, while we got a bye to the Super Bowl as "punishment" for losing.

fansince'76
11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
With Bruce Arians as OC,it is 194 points in seven games in the playoffs

Which averages to 27.7 points a game, and which is even higher without the "Whiz Era" factored in, but yet Arians, and Arians alone, is still the problem. This is a battle I've given up trying to fight, PB. :coffee:

tube517
11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Which averages to 27.7 points a game, and which is even higher without the "Whiz Era" factored in, but yet Arians, and Arians alone, is still the problem. This is a battle I've given up trying to fight, PB. :coffee:

Yeah, we win ugly in the regular season but in the playoffs, the offense usually picks it up a notch. I'll take 5 ugly wins the rest of the way versus 3 "nice" wins, 2 losses and a long wild card road.

st33lersguy
11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
It is officially recorded as a win and the Steelers are up 2 games in the wildcard race and the only tough tests are the Bengals and 49ers

X-Terminator
11-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I still maintain they would be much better in the red zone despite Arians' sometimes questionable playcalling if they could run the football better once they get there. That opens up so many plays in the playbook. You think Marsha or Rodgers throw all of their TD passes from 20+ yards out? I don't think so.

suitanim
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM

LOL...as if just a different OC would make us block better, throw more accurately, catch passes that hit the WR's right in the hands, fumble less, commit fewer penalties, etc, etc...even the ghost of Bill Walsh would not correct the myriad break-downs we have been seeing in some (not all) of the games recently.

But you know what blaming the OC is?

It's easy. So.....................

steeldevil
11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I still maintain they would be much better in the red zone despite Arians' sometimes questionable playcalling if they could run the football better once they get there. That opens up so many plays in the playbook. You think Marsha or Rodgers throw all of their TD passes from 20+ yards out? I don't think so.

I agree. Which is why I think the 1st and goal from the 7 to start the 2nd quarter play calling was stupid. Worst of the season and I'm no Arians hater. But this was bad.

1st and goal from 7: Run Mendy for 3 yards to the 4.
2nd and goal from 4: Motion Mendy from tailback and to wr. Inside handoff to Redman from fb position. Everyone and their mom knew that was the play when Mendy motioned....
3rd and goal from 4: timing route to Sander I think on the corner route.

Should have just pounded it with Mendy or Redman on 2nd and 3rd and maybe 4th. We would have gotten in.

One of the few times this year I have thought Arians play calling was just stupid.

BlastFurnace
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Arians isn't the whole problem, but he is part of the problem.

Austin87
11-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I'll take the win, in the end that is the only thing that matters.

86WARD
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
It's always good when you come out of a hostile environment like KC with a W. it may not have been pretty, but we'll take it.

XxKnightxX
11-28-2011, 01:44 PM
For some of us to be surprised or shocked how the outcome of this game came about is delusional. We were coming off a BYE Week on the road against a hostile KC environment, and a KC team who is just scrappy and made us earn our points rather than just flopping and not giving any effort *Dwayne Bowe* Cough* Cough*.
I was working and couldnt see the game, but the scoreboard is all that makes me happy. I just saw the NFL replay and didnt think it was bad, just a defensively dominated and lackluster game. Well shake it off and get back to he lab like Tomlin says.

steelerdude15
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
DING DING DING, you win XT! I completely agree and have been saying this for a long time.

zulater
11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Here's a thought. Pouncey left the game with some sort of stomach virus. Often those sort of illnesses run through an entire team. Maybe some sort of virus was affecting a good many members of the team to some degree or other? :noidea: I know many of them made me sick last night. :heh:

HollywoodSteel
11-28-2011, 03:57 PM
It is officially recorded as a win and the Steelers are up 2 games in the wildcard race and the only tough tests are the Bengals and 49ers

Correction, EVERY game will be tough. The Steelers are incapable of playing a game that doesn't take years off my life.

Count Steeler
11-28-2011, 04:22 PM
KC team that is scrappy or crappy?

Buffalo 41-7 week one. At KC. Miami 31-3. At KC. We should have won by at least 2 TDs. We need to develop a killer instinct on O.

polamalubeast
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Buffalo 41-7 week one. At KC. Miami 31-3. At KC. We should have won by at least 2 TDs. We need to develop a killer instinct on O.

The Saints have lost against the Rams this year.

Its been a bad game of the offense yesterday and he has no excuse.

But the chiefs defense is good.The problem for the chiefs is their offense who put their defense in a bad position....The past week, it was only 7-3 for the Patriots after the first half against KC.

The steelers are 6-1 since the week 5 and that's what is important.And they were very close to being 7-0 ....

In general, the Steelers have played very good in offense and in defense since the week 5.

XxKnightxX
11-28-2011, 04:44 PM

We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

tube517
11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

:rofl2:

43Hitman
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Lmao!

HometownGal
11-29-2011, 06:52 AM
The steelers are 6-1 since the week 5 and that's what is important.And they were very close to being 7-0 ....

In general, the Steelers have played very good in offense and in defense since the week 5.

This is where I'm at. Every win doesn't have to be pretty (and they haven't been) but we're in good shape going down the stretch imho.

SteelGhost
11-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Ding Ding Ding ! ROTFLMAO

steel striker
11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Style points in the nfl does not mean crap and, it still counts as win. Now no question they need to play better and, I'm sure they will starting this week. It would be nice if the offense got on a nice roll before the playoffs start.

NCSteeler
11-30-2011, 12:18 AM

For lineman running the ball is a practiced mentality, pass blocking is like a whole different sport to them. You can't pass block 60-70 percent of the time and then just say hey were in the RZ let's run. When this team runs the ball well, they do it from minute one of the game and keep pouring it on.

If it's not a bomb to wallace, it's a FG.