11-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Moore

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Tomlin for lack of challenge on spot.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
The entire offense.

But if I were to pinpoint someone, it would be Roethlisberger.

Absolutely putrid performance tonight by the offense.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Tomlin for not going for 4th and 4 and putting game away.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I wish the Steelers were as good as Collinsworth makes them out to be.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:20 PM
The entire offense.

But if I were to pinpoint someone, it would be Roethlisberger.

Absolutely putrid performance tonight by the offense.

Wallace dropped two touchdowns.

Brown dropped a first down conversion

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Bruce Arians. That's right, Bruce Arians. Terrible game plan tonight. They were lucky they weren't playing against a professional NFL offense, or we'd be screaming about a 7-4 record and a serious dent in our wild card hopes.

Godfather
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Game ball: The defense
Game goat: The offense

The Duke
11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Whole Offense

Godfather
Bruce Arians. That's right, Bruce Arians. Terrible game plan tonight.

He should be fired :behindsofa:

fansince'76
Bruce Arians. That's right, Bruce Arians. Terrible game plan tonight.

I have to agree. What was with all the deep shit?

pepsyman1
11-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I think the offensive game plan was poor. Been was depending on getting 4 seconds of pass protection to work deep home run patterns against a defense that was prepared for it and we did NOTHING to adjust.

polamalubeast
terrible game of Roethlisberger

kmsteelerwr15
The offense, plain and simple.

pepsyman1
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Bruce Arians. That's right, Bruce Arians. Terrible game plan tonight. They were lucky they weren't playing against a professional NFL offense, or we'd be screaming about a 7-4 record and a serious dent in our wild card hopes.

You're all over it with one. I wholeheartedly agree. Terrible game plan, no adjustments to what the defense was doing, no effort to take what the defense was giving us.

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM

I don't know, but it was pissing me off. He could clearly see the Chiefs were playing press man with the safety over, and he doesn't try to Tom Brady them to death with short passes? What the fuck, Bruce?

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Bruce Arians. That's right, Bruce Arians. Terrible game plan tonight. They were lucky they weren't playing against a professional NFL offense.

I'll take the win, but the offense really was sad tonight. Every single one of them sucked, with the possible exception of Mendenhall.

polamalubeast
But the chiefs of defense is very good. He deserves credit.

The problem for the Chiefs is the offense(same for the jaguars).

pepsyman1

You'd get NO complaints from me. His game plans most of this year have been better, but I've never been a fan.

steelerdude15
I'll take the win, but the offense really was sad tonight. Every single one of them sucked, with the possible exception of Mendenhall.
Antonio had a great game as well.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:30 PM

It's the Arians way...find what works and don't call it again.

Whew hu...it's more fun to chuck the ball 40 yards downfield.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Three huge drops were killers tonight. Wallace cost us two scores, and Brown's terrible drop kept us from sustaining our last possession.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know, but it was pissing me off. He could clearly see the Chiefs were playing press man with the safety over, and he doesn't try to Tom Brady them to death with short passes? What the fuck, Bruce?

I truly believe that the Ben/Arians marriage needs to be broken up. I wish the rumor that someone was trying to hire him was true.

fansince'76
11-27-2011, 10:32 PM

Not to mention Ben with a broken thumb...

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Antonio had a great game as well.

Except for dropping the last pass thrown to him, which almost cost us the game. And why the hell is he crying for a flag, when the ball bounced between his 8 and 4? I hate that shit! He's a goat too.

tube517
Dropped passes and penalties. What a crap show. Defense gives you 4 TO's and the OL allows one sack. No Pouncey for most of the game either.

But I'll take the win because the Steelers usually lose at KC. It's a better performance by the defense than 2009.

Carolina Steelers

same as above

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 10:34 PM

No need for the emoticon, absolutely he should be fired. It's been long overdue. Someone remind me when our redzone offense has ever had a good year under the Arians era? Oh yeah that's right, WE HAVEN'T. LOL. A crap ton of people on this board think it's funny to mock the Raven's offensive futilities? Hell, look at us. They're 7th in scoring, we're 19th. They swept us, and with identical records, they still lead the damn AFC North race. Who's laughing now?

We are going to drop an egg in the playoffs if our redzone offense continues to suck it up. Before this game, people were coming up with excuses like "Oh well i mean the defense isnt really coming up with turnovers or anything." yeah well they've been one of the league's best all across the board and they've still been keeping the scoreboard down and stopping offensive drives. What's that? More excuses? "Oh well we were missing Troy and Woodley. Yeah well they were missing two of their best players as well, Eric Berry and Jamaal Charles. Now we get 4 turnovers off of a joke of a team and we score, wait for it...13 points.

I love all of this cute "Arians should be fired :rolleyes:" mockery when it should be serious.

I can't wait to blow out the pitiful Bengals next week with 4 turnovers and 13 points! :rolleyes:

Edman
11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
The Entire Offense. Typical Arians Offense. Two gift turnovers putting the Steelers in great field position. A total of 3 points out of it. Giving the Chiefs D that swagger and momentum they needed. Offense did jack the rest of the night.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Dropped passes and penalties. What a crap show. Defense gives you 4 TO's and the OL allows one sack. No Pouncey for most of the game either.

But I'll take the win because the Steelers usually lose at KC. It's a better performance by the defense than 2009.

Too bad Palko wasn't there for that one.

BlastFurnace
No need for the emoticon, absolutely he should be fired. It's been long overdue. Someone remind me when our redzone offense has ever had a good year under the Arians era? Oh yeah that's right, WE HAVEN'T. LOL. A crap ton of people on this board think it's funny to mock the Raven's offensive futilities? Hell, look at us. They're 7th in scoring, we're 19th. They swept us, and with identical records, they still lead the damn AFC North race. Who's laughing now?

We are going to drop an egg in the playoffs if our redzone offense continues to suck it up. Before this game, people were coming up with excuses like "Oh well i mean the defense isnt really coming up with turnovers or anything." yeah well they've been one of the league's best all across the board and they've still been keeping the scoreboard down and stopping offensive drives. What's that? More excuses? "Oh well we were missing Troy and Woodley. Yeah well they were missing two of their best players as well, Eric Berry and Jamaal Charles. Now we get 4 turnovers off of a joke of a team and we score, wait for it...13 points.

I love all of this cute "Arians should be fired :rolleyes:" mockery when it should be serious.

I can't wait to blow out the pitiful Bengals next week with 4 turnovers and 13 points! :rolleyes:

Arians advocates look to much at the yardage this team gets on offense and ignores the fact that the team can't score touchdowns or put teams away. This team cannot put teams away with their offense and it's been a problem for quite some time.

pepsyman1

Mendy had a couple of good runs, but he had plenty of plays where he was tentative and just danced. On those two screen passes he completely pissed me off...instead of just plowing ahead and taking the yardage he played with trying to get around the one guy that was there to tackle him and failed both times....Weak, tentative...not impressive. They could let him go and make Redman number one and be better off as far as I'm concerned.

Psycho Ward 86
Wallace dropped a bomb and also a TD went right through his hands. Ben didn't do a whole lot wrong other than assuming that he would have single coverage on Antonio Brown on that interception simply because he looked the safety off. The double coverage was beautiful and already there before Ben even slinged it. Other than that, props to Ben for playing pretty well, that TD was absolutely beautiful.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Wallace dropped a bomb and also a TD went right through his hands. Ben didn't do a whole lot wrong other than assuming that he would have single coverage on Antonio Brown on that interception simply because he looked the safety off. The double coverage was beautiful and already there before Ben even slinged it. Other than that, props to Ben for playing pretty well, that TD was absolutely beautiful.

Yeah if Wallace hadn't sucked tonight Ben might have thrown 3 td passes. And the td pass to Saunders was one of the most impressive passes of his career.

pepsyman1
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Arians advocates look to much at the yardage this team gets on offense and ignores the fact that the team can't score touchdowns or put teams away. This team cannot put teams away with their offense and it's been a problem for quite some time.

DITTO...
This team was number 9 in scoring in 2007 and hasn't cracked the top 10 since then. In the meantime, the Patriots (regardless of coordinator or personnel) haven't had a single season NOT in the top 10 in scoring during the same time. We've got a top 5 QB with great receivers, a couple of decent RB and although they've been shaky at times, the O line has given decent pass protection for the last few weeks. Arians need to be gone. Couldn't happen too soon

Butch
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
HEATH MILLER!!! He's usually Mr. Dependable but the last two games he's had holding penalties and dropped passes.

Give Ben a reprieve he's got a bad thumb and lots of his passes should have been caught.

B.A. why did we continue to run right when it wasn't working??? As many times as we ran you would think it was going to break the game wide open. It may have succeeded once or twice but should not have been run as many times as it was.

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I truly believe that the Ben/Arians marriage needs to be broken up. I wish the rumor that someone was trying to hire him was true.

It won't happen unless Arians retires or takes another job, so don't get your hopes up. I'm not an Arians hater like 99% of The Nation, but he HAS to do a better job than that. That kind of shit ain't going to cut it against the better teams.

Godfather
11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Hines had a few timely catches and never did anything to hurt our cause.

stillers4me
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Did we lose the game tonight???????

SteelerFanInStl
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM

pretty much sums it up. I don't think that Ben played that poorly other than the pick. Lots of drops on catchable balls and he was running for his life all night.

st33lersguy
11-27-2011, 10:46 PM
The entire offense but more specifically the o-line and recievers. Did the receivers extract Limas Sweed hands disease over the bye or did the receivers slather butter all over their hands before the game. As for the O-line, ben was frequently under pressure and there were too many holding penalties

st33lersguy
11-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Technically we didn't

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
B.A. why did we continue to run right when it wasn't working??? As many times as we ran you would think it was going to break the game wide open. It may have succeeded once or twice but should not have been run as many times as it was.

i didnt mind that we were trying to establish the run, it was HOW we were running. Collinsworth or someone said during the game that running plays that we have had outside the tackles this season have averaged 1.4 YPC. And All of Mendenhall's decent runs came on the inside anyways. I wanted to see more of that, and less -2 yard losses and holding penalties by trying to do toss sweeps.

Oh well. Screw what doesnt work and do it anyways. Season after season after season after season after season. Right Arians? :)

stillers4me
It won't happen unless Arians retires or takes another job, so don't get your hopes up. I'm not an Arians hater like 99% of The Nation, but he HAS to do a better job than that. That kind of shit ain't going to cut it against the better teams.

He's been doing "that shit" all along. Ben or the D usually bails him out. Once in a blue moon, he calls agreat game and all of Steeler Nation forgets about all the crap.

all that aside...........

-------------------------------------> IKE GOT AN INTERCEPTION!!!!!

fansince'76

:chuckle:

psusteelerspens4life
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Arians "offensive play calling" gets the goat . Would it hurt to call a few screen passes to slow their rush and no not the bubble screen to the wideout either that works a 1/4 of the time.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM

I would like to see if anyone has any information of how the offense performs in the 2nd half of games. Arians simply cannot adjust to anything...or he simply decides to stop doing things that work.

I still want the Tennessee game plan back.

This is not an anomoly. This is a trend that goes back 3 years now with Arians.

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM

No but we put in a losing effort on offense.

Animal Mother
11-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Who said Ben? That guy was the reason we were in the game. Yeah he had that one interception, but he was running for his life back there. The o-line looked like they were half asleep.

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 10:55 PM

And dropped another so that we remember who the real Ike is! Good ole Ike :lol:

zulater
11-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Arians wasn't to blame. Really. Execution and focus just wasn't there tonight.

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
He's been doing "that shit" all along. Ben or the D usually bails him out. Once in a blue moon, he calls agreat game and all of Steeler Nation forgets about all the crap.

all that aside...........

The thing is, though...unlike everyone else I don't constantly bludgeon him over the head with it. I give credit where credit is due (something the haters do NOT do), and I will also criticize him like I am doing tonight. But no, he is not the best coordinator in the world and if the Steelers decide to go with a better option (Norv Turner would be great since he's about to be canned), I won't lose any sleep over it. However, if they decide to retain him, I'm not going to slit my wrists or jump off the nearest bridge either.

Moose
11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
My GOAT would be M. MOORE because of his fumble in RED ZONE on 2 yrd line !! To me that was the big FKUP that took some air out of the Steeler's sail. I guess my # 1 question would be--WHAT THE HELL IS MOORE CARRYING THE BALL ANYWAY ???????

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Arians wasn't to blame. Really. Execution and focus just wasn't there tonight.

Dont sweat it, Arians is impermeable to blame anyways. It's always on those darn players.

fansince'76
11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
The thing is, though...unlike everyone else I don't constantly bludgeon him over the head with it. I give credit where credit is due (something the haters do NOT do), and I will also criticize him like I am doing tonight. But no, he is not the best coordinator in the world and if the Steelers decide to go with a better option (Norv Turner would be great since he's about to be canned), I won't lose any sleep over it. However, if they decide to retain him, I'm not going to slit my wrists or jump off the nearest bridge either.

Bingo.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Dont sweat it, Arians is impermeable to blame anyways. It's always on those darn players.

I'm not an Arians fan myself. But honestly I don't really think it came down to playcalling and game plan as much as execution and focus.

Let's hope they do a better job next week.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:06 PM
My GOAT would be M. MOORE because of his fumble in RED ZONE on 2 yrd line !! To me that was the big FKUP that took some air out of the Steeler's sail. I guess my # 1 question would be--WHAT THE HELL IS MOORE CARRYING THE BALL ANYWAY ???????

Mendy was wore out from the bye. :chuckle: Seriously I asked the same thing myself when that happened. Here's Mendenhall coming off a two touchdown game, and he has fresh legs, and it's a second down play, and Moore is your back? Really?

Butch
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
i didnt mind that we were trying to establish the run, it was HOW we were running. Collinsworth or someone said during the game that running plays that we have had outside the tackles this season have averaged 1.4 YPC. And All of Mendenhall's decent runs came on the inside anyways. I wanted to see more of that, and less -2 yard losses and holding penalties by trying to do toss sweeps.

Oh well. Screw what doesnt work and do it anyways. Season after season after season after season after season. Right Arians? :)

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against running the ball from time to time but why always to the right when their guy was killing us time after time??? If it was a designed call then it's on B.A. but if not it's on Mendy either way it needs to be corrected.

B.A. gets to caught up in trying to out think the situations. Throw the ball when you play against the worst run D in the league because they will expect it. Oh yeah and this is also passing into a serious wind.

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM

I understand where you're coming from, i just hate how our offense has been situationally under Brucie: 3rd downs, redzone, short yardage, scoring is what i look at. Obviously we've become one of the best in the league at two of those in the past 2 years (3rd in the league in 3rd down conversion % and Redman is the 2nd best in the league at short yardage conversions), but im still not happy where we stand on the scoreboard.

Psycho Ward 86
11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against running the ball from time to time but why always to the right when their guy was killing us time after time??? If it was a designed call then it's on B.A. but if not it's on Mendy either way it needs to be corrected.

B.A. gets to caught up in trying to out think the situations. Throw the ball when you play against the worst run D in the league because they will expect it. Oh yeah and this is also passing into a serious wind.

Agreed. What kind of winds did we have tonight anyways?

BigNastyDefense
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Tomlin for not going for 4th and 4 and putting game away.

Hindsight is 20/20 my friend, if he goes for it and they don't convert Chiefs get the ball at midfield.

Butch
11-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Agreed. What kind of winds did we have tonight anyways?

Not tonight going back to the leaveland game two years back that basically put us out of the playoffs.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 11:11 PM

Problem is, if Arians does come back, the Steelers offense will still not be able to score touchdowns.

Arians is a problem and needs to go. It's not about being rusty...this is a 3 year trend with Arians.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 my friend, if he goes for it and they don't convert Chiefs get the ball at midfield.

Not hindsight for me, their offense sucked and the line of scrimmage was the Chiefs 39, gain 0 yards they still have a long ways to go for a score. Pick up the first and you probably make it a two score game. I thought it then and still think it now. Reasonable risk- reward.

I'm glad you enjoyed that 19 yards we netted on the punt though.

fansince'76
11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Problem is, if Arians does come back, the Steelers offense will still not be able to score touchdowns.

Arians is a problem and needs to go. It's not about being rusty...this is a 3 year trend with Arians.

What if we wind up with someone worse? This offense hasn't been consistently high scoring since '78-'79, and that's a fact.

X-Terminator
11-27-2011, 11:23 PM

They don't score touchdowns partly because they can't run the ball inside the 20, and partly due to Arians' playcalling. He apparently forgets about the TE, bootlegs and short passes in the flat to the RB or WR. Or he goes 5 wide and basically tells the defense that they're throwing the ball. If he doesn't do anything else, get rid of the empty set in the red zone.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2011, 11:26 PM
What if we wind up with someone worse? This offense hasn't been consistently high scoring since '78-'79, and that's a fact.

I know, but between the years of 1983 through 2003...there was an excuse....Stoudt, Woodley, Malone, Campbell, Brister.....you know the rest.

We have Ben now. That excuse is gone. They should be scoring more points than they do.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:28 PM
If I had to go with one goat I still say Wallace.

First, before Moore ever fumbled, Wallace dropped a perfectly thrown ball to him in the end zone that should have put us up 7-0.

Then his drop of Ben's bomb, blew up a possession later in the game. His head just wasn't there tonight. The Chiefs got into his head early by getting him into bitch slap fights and verbal taunts. He needs to be better than that.

BigNastyDefense
11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Not hindsight for me, their offense sucked and the line of scrimmage was the Chiefs 39, gain 0 yards they still have a long ways to go for a score. Pick up the first and you probably make it a two score game. I thought it then and still think it now. Reasonable risk- reward.

I'm glad you enjoyed that 19 yards we netted on the punt though.

And if Ben gets sacked, they get the ball in the midfield area. Their offense drove into field goal range a few times and on their first FG drive they were within the 10 and they were driving on us in that final drive too.

zulater
11-27-2011, 11:41 PM
And if Ben gets sacked, they get the ball in the midfield area. Their offense drove into field goal range a few times and on their first FG drive they were within the 10 and they were driving on us in that final drive too.

The Steelers play with more urgency on offense when they're behind. So it wouldn't have been the end of the world even if they had scored then. I't all about risk reward, imo opinion it was a reasonable risk for the potential reward.

pepsyman1
11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
I understand where you're coming from, i just hate how our offense has been situationally under Brucie: 3rd downs, redzone, short yardage, scoring is what i look at. Obviously we've become one of the best in the league at two of those in the past 2 years (3rd in the league in 3rd down conversion % and Redman is the 2nd best in the league at short yardage conversions), but im still not happy where we stand on the scoreboard.

No arguments from me. As much as we might have been frustrated with how conservative Cowher would sometimes get, Bill managed to have us in the top 10 in scoring 3 times between 2000 and 2006. We're actually LESS effective offensively (on the scoreboard at least) since Cowher left...and Bill never had the type of receiving crew we have now. Hell..Ben's rookie year we were 11th in scoring and the next year when we won Superbowl 40 we were 9th. Arians hasn't accomplished anything as far as the scoreboard.

oneforthetoe
11-28-2011, 12:24 AM
They don't score touchdowns partly because they can't run the ball inside the 20, and partly due to Arians' playcalling. He apparently forgets about the TE, bootlegs and short passes in the flat to the RB or WR. Or he goes 5 wide and basically tells the defense that they're throwing the ball. If he doesn't do anything else, get rid of the empty set in the red zone.

I agree.....but I also have to put some of that blame on Ben. As much as I love the guy and wouldn't trade him for all the metro-sexual quarterbacks in Bean Town, regardless of the offensive package Arians' puts in, sometimes Ben just doesn't seem to realize that if you have first and ten on the fifteen yard line you can get more than three plays before you have to try a field goal. I didn't notice that as much tonight, but it has been a contributing factor in our red-zone problems, that Ben admitted to last season.

oneforthetoe
11-28-2011, 12:30 AM
I know, but between the years of 1983 through 2003...there was an excuse....Stoudt, Woodley, Malone, Campbell, Brister.....you know the rest.

We have Ben now. That excuse is gone. They should be scoring more points than they do.

As XT said, if Arians stays or goes I am not going to throw a tantrum. My only concern about him going is that, if you bring in a strong willed offensive coordinator that tries too hard to change the way our strong willed qb plays, we could have an unpleasant situation on our hands. Now I am not saying that the inmates should run the Asylum. In addition, I certainly think our play calling could be better. I just think we would have to be careful about who we hired. The grass greener ... the other side of the fence and all.

oneforthetoe
11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
As for the goat of the game, I got to go o'line. I give Max a bit of a break because he was up against an outstanding player, whose strength (speeeeed) matched up well against Starks' weakness (speeeed). I thought Max fought hard. I thought Legursky played ok, given the situation.

I thought the rest of the line was poor tonight. No push in the running game (which is the biggest factor in out red-zone problem,imo). And penalties .... it looked like they were playing a preseason game.

Craic
11-28-2011, 12:40 AM

I don't know, I saw a TD dropped, and a fumble at the 3 yard line. There's 7, maybe 14 more points right there. I agree we need to be more consistent in the redzone. But had those points been put on the board, this discussion wouldn't be happening, and not getting those points had nothing to do with Arians.

oneforthetoe
11-28-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't know, I saw a TD dropped, and a fumble at the 3 yard line. There's 7, maybe 14 more points right there. I agree we need to be more consistent in the redzone. But had those points been put on the board, this discussion wouldn't be happening, and not getting those points had nothing to do with Arians.

This

Give that man another glass of communion wine. If those become scores this game most likely becomes a blowout, because the Chiefs would have had to start taking chances on defense and offense, which invariably lead to even more scoring opportunities for the Steelers..

JayC
11-28-2011, 02:50 AM
gameball: palko for sucking
goat: arians and the O for sucking

Count Steeler
11-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Thank God Sushi made the 49 yarder. How we couldn't go up 2 scores on KC is astounding.

Sloppy performance by the O. Ben is excused because of the thumb and that very pretty touchdown pass.

Godfather
11-28-2011, 09:19 AM
The third and short offense is better this year than it has been the past few, but still not where we need it to be. Problem is the O-line. I'm happy with Pouncey and the first month of this year taught me to appreciate Starks. Gilbert is a rookie and still has potential. But we need to upgrade the guard positions.
Fortunately, we can do that in the later rounds of the draft.

tube517
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

The O stunk up the joint. I have never claimed to be any sort of Arians fan but those drops were pitiful and these WRs can do better than that. However, the red zone failures are tiresome.

suitanim
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
This is part of the reason I ignored the game thread. I knew as soon as Moore fumbled into the endzone that Arians would start getting the blame.

Not that anyone will listen, but......

First off, the reason we threw the ball deep was the one-on-one match-ups. If you believe (as I do) that we have two of the fastest and best deep threats in the entire NFL in Brown and Wallace, then it is a QB and OC's DREAM to get almost an entire game of man-to-man coverage. We had receivers running wide open all game, many of them 30 yards down the field. It is NOT Arians job to get them the ball, it is Ben's. HE failed. His hand is broken, granted, but please don't blame the QB's inaccuracy. When he was accurate, the WR's were dropping passes. It is not Arians job to catch catchable long balls that were dropped. If Moore scored that early TD, and Wallace catches even one of the long balls, most likely the score would have been 27-6. I'd take that.

Also, it's worth noting that Arians WAS taking what the defense was giving. I saw earlier a post saying that we should have "Brady'd them". How? They weren't playing zone. Brady is good at finding the seems and creases in zones and exploiting them. That's not applicable in a man-to-man. The call was right: Line up our better WR's and go right at their CB's. We once again failed to execute through a combination of inaccurate passes and dropped balls.

Finally, how many holding calls did we have? 4? Is THAT Arians fault? We had several missed blocking assignments, and generally the play of the offense was sloppy. It continues to astound me as to how people can look at a complex thing like an NFL offense and NOT see how the individual break-downs (and Lord did we have a ton yesterday!) cause it to fail, rather simply take the easier route possible and just blame the playcalling.

I don't care who is calling the plays. I don't care what the plays are. If you don't block, and you don't throw accurately, and you don't catch, the plays WILL NOT WORK.

The Duke
11-28-2011, 11:02 AM
The third and short offense is better this year than it has been the past few, but still not where we need it to be. Problem is the O-line. I'm happy with Pouncey and the first month of this year taught me to appreciate Starks. Gilbert is a rookie and still has potential. But we need to upgrade the guard positions.
Fortunately, we can do that in the later rounds of the draft.

tongue in cheek?

I think it's obvious by now we need an early round guard. Ben has spent enough times being protected by backup level guards

Godfather
11-28-2011, 11:26 AM
tongue in cheek?

I think it's obvious by now we need an early round guard. Ben has spent enough times being protected by backup level guards

Not at all. You can find good guards in the later rounds. We just have to do it.

X-Terminator
11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Also, it's worth noting that Arians WAS taking what the defense was giving. I saw earlier a post saying that we should have "Brady'd them". How? They weren't playing zone. Brady is good at finding the seems and creases in zones and exploiting them. That's not applicable in a man-to-man. The call was right: Line up our better WR's and go right at their CB's. We once again failed to execute through a combination of inaccurate passes and dropped balls.

I was the one who said they should have "Brady'd" them to death, but now that you explain it that way, I'll retract part of that statement. I still think they could have used the short passing game more with Miller and Saunders or used more hooks/crosses with the WRs. They didn't necessarily have to keep going for the home run all night.

86WARD
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Offense. Anything associated with the offense.

steel striker
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
The whole offense and, I know Memo was stripped at the 2 yard line on the first drive. Thats seemed to set the tone for the whole night. Alot of missed chances all the way around. I thought once they scored on then nice td pass to Saunders we would roll but, that was not the case.

Steeldude
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
no goats. everyone played great.

i blame goodell for the drops and the play calling.

The Duke
11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Not at all. You can find good guards in the later rounds. We just have to do it.

I agree, you can. But we just have been unable to do so in the past few years

Time to draft one in either round 1 or 2. Anything other than that I just don't have high hopes for, especially after the Urbik miss- another huge disappointment

HollywoodSteel
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I was the one who said they should have "Brady'd" them to death, but now that you explain it that way, I'll retract part of that statement. I still think they could have used the short passing game more with Miller and Saunders or used more hooks/crosses with the WRs. They didn't necessarily have to keep going for the home run all night.

He still should have "Brady'd" them to death, whatever that means. Brady put up 34 points on that team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Kemo, Foster, Legursky were the goats. If you cant run the ball on the #28 ranked rush defense, then you need some better interior linemen, or you didnt try to run the ball enough.

suitanim
11-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Kemo, Foster, Legursky were the goats. If you cant run the ball on the #28 ranked rush defense, then you need some better interior linemen, or you didnt try to run the ball enough.

And they didn't pass block very well either....we averaged 3.9 a rush. I guess we could have run the ball more, but wouldn't we just be hearing about how Arians ran the ball too much today?

As for the Steelers throwing a bunch of short stuff, well, that's a good idea, and I'm not sure that they didn't try that. What I do know is that when we took deep shots, the WR's were generally wide open, and the passes were either inaccurate or dropped. Why would short passes necessarily yield a different outcome?

It's time to move on. It's one game. We won. There is no great "takeaway" from this win, other than we played pretty sloppily on offense on this particular day.

HollywoodSteel
11-28-2011, 04:48 PM
And they didn't pass block very well either....we averaged 3.9 a rush. I guess we could have run the ball more, but wouldn't we just be hearing about how Arians ran the ball too much today?

As for the Steelers throwing a bunch of short stuff, well, that's a good idea, and I'm not sure that they didn't try that. What I do know is that when we took deep shots, the WR's were generally wide open, and the passes were either inaccurate or dropped. Why would short passes necessarily yield a different outcome?

It's time to move on. It's one game. We won. There is no great "takeaway" from this win, other than we played pretty sloppily on offense on this particular day.

I don't think anyone faults Ben (or Bruce) for taking deep shots when he has one on one but, correct me if I'm wrong, I think Ben threw deep into double coverage 3 times, including the pick. Granted the pick was a great play by the safety not being "looked off" by Ben, but Ben should have seen that this was the case before releasing the ball.

SteelerFanInStl
11-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree, you can. But we just have been unable to do so in the past few years

Time to draft one in either round 1 or 2. Anything other than that I just don't have high hopes for, especially after the Urbik miss- another huge disappointment

Urbik is starting for the Bills. He was even playing center on Sunday after their center went out. I think we gave up on him too soon.

HometownGal
11-29-2011, 03:59 AM

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

AMEN.

pepsyman1
11-29-2011, 04:51 AM
This is part of the reason I ignored the game thread. I knew as soon as Moore fumbled into the endzone that Arians would start getting the blame.

First off, the reason we threw the ball deep was the one-on-one match-ups. If you believe (as I do) that we have two of the fastest and best deep threats in the entire NFL in Brown and Wallace, then it is a QB and OC's DREAM to get almost an entire game of man-to-man coverage. We had receivers running wide open all game, many of them 30 yards down the field. It is NOT Arians job to get them the ball, it is Ben's. HE failed. His hand is broken, granted, but please don't blame the QB's inaccuracy. When he was accurate, the WR's were dropping passes. It is not Arians job to catch catchable long balls that were dropped. If Moore scored that early TD, and Wallace catches even one of the long balls, most likely the score would have been 27-6. I'd take that.

Finally, how many holding calls did we have? 4? Is THAT Arians fault? We had several missed blocking assignments, and generally the play of the offense was sloppy. It continues to astound me as to how people can look at a complex thing like an NFL offense and NOT see how the individual break-downs (and Lord did we have a ton yesterday!) cause it to fail, rather simply take the easier route possible and just blame the playcalling.

I don't care who is calling the plays. I don't care what the plays are. If you don't block, and you don't throw accurately, and you don't catch, the plays WILL NOT WORK.

Actually, on MOST of those deep passes they Chiefs were playing their safeties pretty deep to provide over the top coverage. Except the one drop that Wallace had, you didn't see anyone get behind the secondary and even on that one the DB was right with Wallace. I didn't see wideouts open all over the field, I saw covered wideouts running deep routes along the sideline, pretty well covered while NO ONE was moving into the open area in the middle of the field. They showed a replay after one of Ben's passes out the empty backfield set and out of 5 receivers NOT ONE ran a pattern inside the hashmarks. I saw no short slants, no crossing patterns, nothing but the same routes all night that we weren't completing. I don't think Arians took what was available at all.

zulater
11-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Urbik is starting for the Bills. He was even playing center on Sunday after their center went out. I think we gave up on him too soon.

Some players don't really get themselves in gear until they've been cut once. Urbik might have been one of those guys who felt entitled as a high draft choice and only went through the motions with the Steelers?

suitanim
11-29-2011, 05:40 AM
I saw differently.

zulater
11-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I saw differently.

With Urbik?

If so I just don't know, and I'm not pretending I do. I'm just trying to figure it out from the Steelers perspective as to why they let a near premium draft pick go, giving him so little of a chance, as in actual play on the field? I mean look how long they let it play out with Sweed and Tony Hills. With both of them they gave them ample opportunity to prove they belong. I barely even remember Urbik getting serious reps in preseason games. So I juust figured there must be something along the lines of lack of effort or preparation involved. I do vaguely remember some injury issues, but I didn't think that was what it was about?

Anyway I'd love to know why they let a 3rd round pick go so easy, when it appears he has genuine NFL game? :noidea:

suitanim
11-29-2011, 09:04 AM
No, my post was directed at pepsyman...I saw Steelers WR's running wide open all day. Don't know what he saw...

Devilsdancefloor
11-29-2011, 09:13 AM

this X1000

86WARD
11-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Starting for the Bills. Lol...

suitanim
11-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Buffalo has the 10th best scoring offense in the league. Since that is (cough cough) more important than winning, we probably shouldn't mock...

Dino 6 Rings
11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I think the offense failed to execute.

I also think Ben and Arians and Wallace and Brown are really trying to play Highlight Football at times. Going for the deep ball and the big TD way more often then they should. They seem to go for the "dagger" too soon. This game should not have been as close as it was. The Steelers Offense looks great at times, hums along and then...we get inside the 10. I won't even say inside the 20, its when we have the ball inside the 10 when we just gack it.

Anyway, a win is a win, we have a lot of improvements to make on BOTH sides of the ball. Fake Punt? Really? We gave up a fake punt for a 1st down? Really? Did no one see the shift?

We also need MORE pressure on the QB. Harrison can't do it all himself. We miss Woodley Big time.

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2011, 06:09 PM

they're 10th in scoring and we're 19th. LOL

Count Steeler
11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
they're 10th in scoring and we're 19th. LOL

8-3 and headed for the playoffs. 5-6 and headed for Lake Erie. I'll take the former over the latter any day. Stats mean nothing except to Fantasy Leagues.

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
8-3 and headed for the playoffs. 5-6 and headed for Lake Erie. I'll take the former over the latter any day. Stats mean nothing except to Fantasy Leagues.

if you were paying attention at all, the implication was that it was a joke that urbik is starting for the Bills, which would be making a mockery of the Bills offense which is better than us.

WAIT WHAT. BETTER THAN OMG OMG OMG Wallace, Brown, Miller, and Big Ben???

Um, well yeah, they're one of 18 teams in the league that can score better than us.

Count Steeler
11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Um, well yeah, they're one of 18 teams in the league that can score better than us.

But they won't be in the playoffs? Go figure. :huh:

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
But they won't be in the playoffs? Go figure. :huh:

Um yeah we get it....

once again, not the point of the post i initially responded to but ok, ill give you a moment to figure it out :lol:

SteelGhost
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM

:applaudit: Thanks for taking time to write this post Suit :thumbsup:

I'm not an Arians' fan, I'm not an Arians hater either, but it's getting old to blame him even if WE WON !!!

suitanim
11-30-2011, 05:25 AM
Um yeah we get it....

once again, not the point of the post i initially responded to but ok, ill give you a moment to figure it out :lol:

I tried the same thing a post or two earlier, but my point was that, apparently, scoring offense is even more important than wins....

X-Terminator
11-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Um yeah we get it....

Oh, I think we get the point of the post you responded to. And it still doesn't mean a thing if that so-much-better-than-the-Steelers-10th-ranked offense will be watching the playoffs on TV like you and me.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2011, 08:03 AM
With Urbik?

If so I just don't know, and I'm not pretending I do. I'm just trying to figure it out from the Steelers perspective as to why they let a near premium draft pick go, giving him so little of a chance, as in actual play on the field? I mean look how long they let it play out with Sweed and Tony Hills. With both of them they gave them ample opportunity to prove they belong. I barely even remember Urbik getting serious reps in preseason games. So I juust figured there must be something along the lines of lack of effort or preparation involved. I do vaguely remember some injury issues, but I didn't think that was what it was about?

Anyway I'd love to know why they let a 3rd round pick go so easy, when it appears he has genuine NFL game? :noidea:

Especially when a guy like Trai Essex has outlived all of his 9 lives on the roster.

I'm just thankful this coaching staff saw the light with Ramon Foster. What they were thinkng this preseason with basically shutting him out of a starting position looks pretty stupid now.

suitanim
11-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Maybe we shouldn't have cut Tony Hills

zulater
11-30-2011, 08:30 AM

I hear he's doing a good job over at Jiffy Lube. :lol:

fansince'76
11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Not to mention SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

suitanim
11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
He's a back-up tackle for the Bronco's, but I still maintain he looked as good as any of our Guards in the preseason. Now we are thin at the position, and he's sitting on the bench.

Just sayin'....

Psycho Ward 86
11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
I love the whining hind sight is 20/20 posts lol

suitanim
12-01-2011, 05:37 AM
I love the whining hind sight is 20/20 posts lol

I HOPE that ain't directed at me....because A) I sure as shit ain't whining and B) I said all along we should have kept Hills.

86WARD
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
He's a back-up tackle for the Bronco's, but I still maintain he looked as good as any of our Guards in the preseason. Now we are thin at the position, and he's sitting on the bench.

Just sayin'....

QFT.

Dino 6 Rings
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey, what color tie did Chris Collinsworth wear on Sunday? Anyone Remember? I am working on a Theory that he is so biased he intentionally wears the other team's colors in some capacity when covering a Steelers game. Did he have on a Red tie by chance?

fansince'76
12-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey, what color tie did Chris Collinsworth wear on Sunday? Anyone Remember? I am working on a Theory that he is so biased he intentionally wears the other team's colors in some capacity when covering a Steelers game. Did he have on a Red tie by chance?

Come to think of it...

http://artist.david23.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/pencilneck.jpg

stillers4me
12-02-2011, 05:48 PM
As a matter of fact, I think he did. I always look for that, too!