PDA

View Full Version : Week 10 Thoughts

Chidi29
11-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Just like the Pilgrims and Indians...food, friends, and Steelers/Bengals game notes.

First Half

- Kickoffs: 3.95 (-8, TB), 3.92 (-5), 4.12 (-3), 4.02 (OZ)

- Foote, Lewis wedgebusters with Battle out.

- Have to love Ben faking out two defenders on a pump fake for the first TD of the day to Cotchery. Good job by Cotchery of extending his route on what seemed to be just a designed slant. Cotch got vertical and got six (as he did on his TD that was called back, same route).

- Heath's blocking is such as asset on those WR bubble screens.

- Example of the pressure put on centers like Pouncey. Lot of information to read in a very short amount of time. First concerned about a Double A gap blitz on this play, but the LBs back off. Then he has to recognize a blitzing corner and pull to pick him up. Sure, Ben is helping out some but it is up to Pouncey to execute. Picture of play.

http://i43.tinypic.com/33pd5xg.png

- On the same play, kudos to Kemoeatu for picking up a stunt. Basically ends up blocking two lineman on the play.

http://i40.tinypic.com/qn5r7k.png

- Tough to tell if Nelson's hit on Miller was illegal. Inclined to say know because it didn't look like he hit Heath on the helmet, looked like a shoulder to shoulder blow, but I couldn't get a good enough look.

- Worth noting that Essex was in backfield in "Bronko" package instead of Legursky. Wonder if there was a concern over Doug's explosiveness coming off the fractured foot but then again, he is starting now.

- Mendenhall essentially cleared his own path on his first TD. Ran into Kemoeatu so hard that it knocked he and the DT down, letting Mendy fall forward into the end zone.

- Hines played in the first quarter, the scripted plays, played very little after that.

- McFadden is a valuable asset on kick coverage. I still like him.

- Allen and Brown your gunners.

- Funny signs from Steelers and Bengals fans.

http://i43.tinypic.com/kf3vnm.png

- Pinch man McFadden the holder on a kickoff for Suisham.

- Foster had his hands full with Peko's bull rushes. Always struggles against the Bengals but overall, has had a nice year.

Second Half

- Don't recall seeing Timmons on punt coverage in the past but he was out there today.

- Don't talk about opponents very often but credit to Dalton's throw to Gresham that tied the game. Harrison going for his knees and Dalton leads Gresham perfectly on a 7 route.

- Scott replaced Starks at LT for only two plays. Came in for Gilbert for a series, too.

- Great effort by Mendenhall on his second TD. But Cotchery had an excellent block, walling off a CB to help spring Mendenhall.

- Worilds got a couple of pressures in the second half, forced one or two throw aways from Dalton. Did get blown out of the run pretty badly though. Him versus ndre Smith is a bad matchup though he was taken to the sideline by Gresham on another instance. Not a good sign. Mixed on how I feel about his progress.

- Gay's deflection/Timmons INT especially huge sincy Cincy was starting drive from our 49.

- Wallace with a killer 3rd down drop with 11 minutes left in the game. Happens but you hate to see it there. Would've put us at midfield and an opportunity to make it a two possession game.

- Cortez Allen does an excellent job of beating the jam on punt coverage.

- McFadden spelled Allen at gunner once.

- Saunders lined up at FB on his lone catch of the day. Nice job getting YAC for the first down.

- Keep in mind it was a speed screen to Wallace that sealed the win for us.

Sacks

- 2nd and 16, 5:35 left in 2nd. Empty set, shotgun. Slant/flat combo to right, bubble screen to left. On coverage to left by the defense may have Ben look away from screen because his first read was to the right. Getahers gets under the pads of Gilbert and brings Ben down.

- 3rd and 7, 1:09 left in 2nd. Empty, shotgun. Bengals bring 4. Kemo simply opens his hips, does not get his feet parallel, lets Atkins rush through with ease. Picture.

http://i39.tinypic.com/xfu9sw.png

See Kemo lunging, too. When fans talk about lineman being turnstiles, this is it.

- 2nd and 7, 12 personnel. Bengals bring 5 + LB on blitz/coverage assignment on back. Just an ugly play all around. Trying to run muddle huddle in loud Paul Brown stadium. Wallace looks confused, throws his hands up in the air. Likely not on same page which is bad because that looks like Ben's first read. Mendenhall tries to pick up blitzing LB but is pushed back when Pouncey and Foster funnel DTs upfield right into Mendenhall. Ultimately, weakside end gets away from Starks and brings Ben down.

- 1st and 10, 3:16 left in 3rd. Empty, shotgun. Bengals bring four. Good coverage by Cincy, not much available. Johnson gets a really good jump off edge thought Starks does a nice job of initally pushing him upfield. Johnson counters with a spin and gets away from Starks. Geathers beats Gilbert to inside.

Sack Counter (Game)

Marcus Gilbert: 1.5
Chris Kemoeatu: 1
Ben Roethlisberger: 1
Max Starks: .5

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 7
Max Starks: 3.5
Chris Kemoeatu: 3
Marcus Gilbert: 3
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 2.5
Ramon Foster: 2
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Maurkice Pouncey: 1
Willie Colon: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Documentation

FB: 19 (believe that is season high)
Pony: 0
Empty: 7

zulater
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Good stuff as usual Chidi.

By the way what do you think of my theory on why Troy misplayed Green's touchdown?

In case you missed it, watch Troy's eyes ( at 27.10 on NFL rewind and stay with it through a couple replays) and it looks to me as if he made a conscience decision to pull up, I believe in order to allow Ryan Clark to have a play on the ball for an interception. Of course Ryan borrowed a page out of Ike Taylor's playbook and missplayed the ball in the air.

I know Troy never mentioned this, but that would be like him as he wouldn't want to come off as placing blame or absolving himself of responsibility.

so what do you think?

Count Steeler
11-26-2011, 01:32 PM

By the way what do you think of my theory on why Troy misplayed Green's touchdown?

In case you missed it, watch Troy's eyes ( at 27.10 on NFL rewind and stay with it through a couple replays) and it looks to me as if he made a conscience decision to pull up, I believe in order to allow Ryan Clark to have a play on the ball for an interception. Of course Ryan borrowed a page out of Ike Taylor's playbook and missplayed the ball in the air.

I know Troy never mentioned this, but that would be like him as he wouldn't want to come off as placing blame or absolving himself of responsibility.

so what do you think?

That is exactly how I saw that play. It was obvious that Troy let up because he saw Ryan in position to make the play. If Troy went for the ball more aggressively, he probably would have taken Ryan out.

Psycho Ward 86
11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
That is exactly how I saw that play. It was obvious that Troy let up because he saw Ryan in position to make the play. If Troy went for the ball more aggressively, he probably would have taken Ryan out.

good observation. i never thought of it that way. i guess i was too baffled and pissed about the play lol.

zulater
11-26-2011, 01:44 PM
good observation. i never thought of it that way. i guess i was too baffled and pissed about the play lol.

If you have the game recorded, you can see on a couple angles where Troy's eyes flash over to where Clark is, maybe half a second before Green comes down with the catch.

The thing that bothers me is that they destroyed Troy for that play on NBC's pregame show, when it's pretty obvious on second glance what it was all about. Hell I even heard a couple "experts" proclaim that troy can't cover based on what happened that play.

Psycho Ward 86
11-26-2011, 02:02 PM
If you have the game recorded, you can see on a couple angles where Troy's eyes flash over to where Clark is, maybe half a second before Green comes down with the catch.

The thing that bothers me is that they destroyed Troy for that play on NBC's pregame show, when it's pretty obvious on second glance what it was all about. Hell I even heard a couple "experts" proclaim that troy can't cover based on what happened that play.

haha i remember. I know hindsight is 20/20, but i still wish Troy wouldve gone for that ball. The position he was in and the position Ryan Clark was in didnt seem like they would disrupt each other much going for the ball. Worst case scenario if they both do: incompletion. But oh well, im only saying that because of what happened, the past is the past.

Chidi29
11-26-2011, 03:10 PM

so what do you think?

It's hard to say with me obviously not being in Troy's shoes. It does look that way, that Troy backed off to avoid a potentially violent three-player collision. But then again, maybe Troy looked at Clark just to see where he was at, and then went to look back for the ball and lost it (in line with his explanation that he lost sight of the ball).