PDA

View Full Version : Ward's status unlikely to change

Galax Steeler
11-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Hines Ward's reduced status does not look as though it will change any time soon, which begs this question: Are we watching the final games of the brilliant career of the Steelers most prolific and decorated receiver?

That is, if the coaches see fit to play him.

Coach Mike Tomlin demoted Ward from the starting job he had held since 1999 for the Nov. 13 game at Cincinnati. Then, Tomlin buried him a little deeper on the depth chart while he was at it, dropping Ward behind Jerricho Cotchery to No. 4 for that game.

Ward caught one pass for 10 yards against the Bengals and played only a handful of downs. Antonio Brown, another bright light on a young receiving corps, started in place of Ward and led the Steelers with 86 yards on five receptions. Brown has moved into the ninth spot among AFC receivers in receptions (44) and yards (626), giving the team two in the conference's top 10. Mike Wallace ranks fourth in receptions (53) and second in yards (922).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11327/1191949-66.stm#ixzz1eWblKCk3

SteelerEmpire
11-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Don't we need a back-up QB ? Hines, If C. Stewart can do it, you can.

touchdownward
11-23-2011, 07:38 AM
What the stats don't show is the blocking Ward does downfield. Also, Hines is still clutch when we need a big catch. Of course he's lost some speed and is at the downslide of his career, but not ready to be put out to pasture by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

Of course, I'm a little biased.:)

Godfather
11-23-2011, 08:20 AM
I think the media is overplaying this. Hines was injured twice within a month. How do they know the coaches aren't limiting his playing time to preserve him for the playoffs? As a bonus, the young guns are getting valuable experience.

steelerdiva
11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I think the media is overplaying this. Hines was injured twice within a month. How do they know the coaches aren't limiting his playing time to preserve him for the playoffs? As a bonus, the young guns are getting valuable experience.

I agree. The so-called experts always want to make a meal of stuff like this. Like touchdownward said, no one is factoring in that he's been injured. When he's healthy, he can still be a valuable part of this offense. Sometime toward the end of this season, he will make more key plays for us. Trust!

86WARD
11-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Last week they had two game plans. One for Ward and one for Brown...not like he wasn't part of the game plan...they just opted to go with the Brown package because it was going well.