PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Arians Mentioned For Ole Miss Job

polamalubeast
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Good morning,

The Kansas City Chiefs buffaloed someone to appear on primetime twice in six days this week. Who thought that was a good idea? And when NBC-TV had the opportunity to switch games this week, to flex Chiefs-Steelers out of the Sunday night game, the network passed. They better hope all those Steelers fans tune in, because there aren't many Chiefs Nation or Tyler Palko fans left.

This game once looked like a possible bump on the road for the Steelers but the only way they can lose it now is if they repeat their '09 swoon. If the Chiefs return the opening kickoff for a touchdown, deja vu will kick in with it.

This game also repeats one of the great oddities in scheduling in the NFL. These two teamshave will meet for the 11th time since 1992. This will be the 10th time they play in Kansas City. The only time the Chiefs played in Pittsburgh was 2006. The teams have split those 10 meetings, by the way.

read more

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/113402-ed-arians-mentioned-for-ole-miss-job

fansince'76
11-22-2011, 02:06 PM
The Birmingham News (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/could_steelers_offensive_coord.html) threw out Bruce Arians as a possible candidate for the head coaching job at Mississippi and did connect a few dots in explaining why.

But he SUUUUUUUUUCKS! Nobody would hire him! :chuckle:

tube517
11-22-2011, 02:15 PM
But he SUUUUUUUUUCKS! Nobody would hire him! :chuckle:

The phone lines just lit up in all the Pittsburgh radio stations

suitanim
11-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope he takes it...that's a rough situation being a mid-to-bottom-tier SEC school, but he's a better offensive mind than 99.99% of the population, and that might just be enough...

Then, when the next OC fails to live up to expectations, the offense slips, then I can say:

"Told you so!"

zulater
11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I hope he takes it...that's a rough situation being a mid-to-bottom-tier SEC school, but he's a better offensive mind than 99.99% of the population, and that might just be enough...

Then, when the next OC fails to live up to expectations, the offense slips, then I can say:

"Told you so!"

I don't think he'll take it. Given that he seriously considered retiring as recently as last offseason, I just don't think he wants that sort of burden.

Plus I think he recognizes that the Steelers offense is ready to jump to a new level, and wants to continue to be a part of what he's built.

Lastly, Ben wont let him, and he can't take Ben with him. :chuckle:

Chidi29
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
That article was just a lot of speculation. No real facts or reports to back it up.

The Duke
11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I think by now Arians is just like LeBeau- Pittsburgh or nothing. Only reason they are still coaching is a shot at another title

just don't see any chance he takes it. Heck, I honestly can't see him even accepting an NFL head coaching job

"Told you so!"

You mean the irrational fan expectations right? Because I really doubt the offense changes much from Bruce to the next guy

fire fichtner! :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Isnt Missisippi the home of the Arians Nation? Think it would be a good fit.

Steeldude
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
why not bring joe walton back? we all know it can't be the OC's fault. it's always the fault of the players...lmao :sofunny:

fansince'76
11-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Walton lacks the necessary hustle.

zulater
11-22-2011, 07:06 PM

:rofl:

Godfather
11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Ole Miss is a terrible job. It's a relatively small state, there are two other I-A schools competing with you for talent, and even with the good high school football a lot of players aren't academically qualified. Then you have al-Abama and Auburn to the east and LSU to the west raiding your state for talent. You have four top-tier programs in your own division. You have no winning tradition (almost 50 years without an SEC title). And the overt Confederate symbolism on the fans' part keeps you from recruiting outside the Deep South.

If Arians takes that job he's as dumb as the haters say.

Psycho Ward 86
11-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I would only look forward to Arians leaving depending upon who would replace him.

GodfatherofSoul
11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Ole Miss is a terrible job. It's a relatively small state, there are two other I-A schools competing with you for talent, and even with the good high school football a lot of players aren't academically qualified. Then you have al-Abama and Auburn to the east and LSU to the west raiding your state for talent. You have four top-tier programs in your own division. You have no winning tradition (almost 50 years without an SEC title). And the overt Confederate symbolism on the fans' part keeps you from recruiting outside the Deep South.

lol you should write recruiting letters for other schools in their conference!

Psycho Ward 86
11-23-2011, 12:41 AM

so in other words he's a perfect fit :)

Steeldude
11-23-2011, 05:52 AM

then they should give him $61 million dollars :rofl2:

Steeldude
11-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Might as well, since he'll get all the blame from many and since player performance doesn't figure into it whatsoever. Kordell really didn't suck as a QB, he was just never put in a position to succeed by the coaching staff, after all...

but it can never be the OC's fault. it's always the fault of the players for not executing. if it's 4th and 8 and the OC calls for a run, with the result being less than 8 yards, then it's the fault of the players for not executing.

it's kordell's fault for not executing. it can never be the fault of the OC.

polamalubeast
11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
then they should give him $61 million dollars :rofl2:

LaMarr Woodley would have a good chance of winning the defensive player of the year if he had not had his injury.

Stop being stubborn

X-Terminator
11-23-2011, 01:22 PM
but it can never be the OC's fault. it's always the fault of the players for not executing. if it's 4th and 8 and the OC calls for a run, with the result being less than 8 yards, then it's the fault of the players for not executing.

it's kordell's fault for not executing. it can never be the fault of the OC.

You still don't get it. It isn't about the OC not getting any blame, it's about the OC getting ALL of the blame even when it's clearly not his fault. I don't know how many times this has to be explained. Criticism of Arians is OK so long as it's justified. Blaming him for the defense blowing leads or the OL stinking out the joint or Ben and the receiver not being on the same page is NOT justification. Sorry. And when someone does try to justify it, expect them to be called out on it. Look at Zulater's post in the other Arians thread. Not a thing wrong with what he said. If the Arians criticism was like that, there would be no issue whatsoever.

Chidi29
11-23-2011, 04:18 PM
If Arians ends up leaving, which I find very unlikely to occur, I'd expect Randy Fitchner to take over as the OC.

SteelGhost
11-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Air-Brucey isn't going anywhere, Ben likes him... besides now the Steelers are pass-happy, lol.