PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Roethlisberger has a grip on latest injury

stillers4me
11-22-2011, 08:19 AM
The author of one of the most famous tackles by a quarterback in NFL history has advice for others playing his position on trying to tackle an opponent.

"Hopefully, you don't have to make a tackle, that's the first problem," said Ben Roethlisberger.

That only happens on turnovers and after Chicago's Jay Cutler threw an interception Sunday, he tried to tackle San Diego's Antoine Cason and came up with a broken thumb instead. Cutler will have surgery on his right thumb and Bears coach Lovie Smith said he should return before the playoffs -- assuming Chicago qualifies.

Roethlisberger has been fortunate on two counts:

• He made the tackle on Indianapolis cornerback Nick Harper to possibly save a touchdown after a Jerome Bettis goal-line fumble in the closing minute of their 2005 playoff game. The tackle -- made without injury to Roethlisberger -- helped preserve a 21-18 victory en route to a sixth Super Bowl win.

• His own broken right thumb, injured Nov. 13 in the third quarter at Cincinnati, did not require surgery. He was back throwing the ball in practice Monday after taking the open week off and fully expects to play Sunday night in Kansas City.

"Cutler's injury should have no affect on decisions by quarterbacks whether to go for a tackle or not on a turnover," Roethlisberger said.

"I'm a tackling machine," he joked. "It's natural. There's no way I could sit there and say, 'I have to make this tackle -- Oh, wait, Jay got hurt, how do I do this?' No, it's just go after him and get him down."..........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11326/1191611-66.stm#ixzz1eRZuH6BO

steelerdude15
11-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I say sit Ben for this one, we can't afford to have him injure that thumb even more.

vasteeler
11-22-2011, 10:19 AM
no way we sit him. i dont want to see charlie:old: out there, even if it is only KC