PDA

View Full Version : Arians not retiring type now

zulater
11-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Arians not retiring type now

Monday, November 21, 2011
By Ron Cook , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians spent the Steelers' off weekend at his Reynolds Plantation home in Greensboro, Ga., a spectacular golfing community on Lake Oconee, about halfway between Atlanta and Augusta. At this time a year ago, he couldn't wait to retire and move there full time. In fact, after the 2010 season, he told coach Mike Tomlin he was done after 36 years in coaching. Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger quickly and quietly talked him out of quitting.

And now?

"We'll see how it goes the rest of the season, but it's looking like I'll try coaching again next year," Arians said Sunday. "These young guys have made it so much fun for me."

So have a 7-3 record and a share of first place in the AFC North Division.

Arians' offense has much to do with it. Roethlisberger is playing the best football of his career. The offensive line has stabilized after a terrible start; its five members will make their fifth consecutive start together Sunday night when the Steelers play at Kansas City. Young wide receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown are turning into stars. Tight end Heath Miller remains -- in Arians' words -- "the quarterback's security blanket." Rashard Mendenhall and Ike Redman are solid backs even if their numbers don't blow anyone away.

This is what Arians had in his mind for the offense all along. After the Steelers lost Oct. 2 in Houston, 17-10, in a game when Roethlisberger was sacked five times, Arians predicted his guys would regroup and be formidable. "We still can be the offense that we expect to be," he insisted.

Sunday, Arians added, "I always knew it was there. It was just a matter of keeping the faith."

Since that loss in Houston, the Steelers have gone 5-1. Other than a poor second half in a 17-13 win against Jacksonville Oct. 16, the offense has been largely outstanding. Arians has done a great job mixing things up. He has called running plays out of three-wide receiver sets and passing plays out of three-tight end sets. He has thrown to kill the clock at the end of games rather than running the ball, so great is his faith in Roethlisberger.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11325/1191473-87.stm#ixzz1eLBR2rmE

zulater
11-21-2011, 06:10 AM

fansince'76
11-21-2011, 07:51 AM
FIRE HIM!

:chuckle:

tube517
11-21-2011, 07:52 AM
The phone lines at all the radio stations just lit up :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
11-21-2011, 07:53 AM
To say this has been a satisfying start to the season for Arians would be an understatement. No longer is he the subject of vitriol on the talk shows. No longer is he -- in his words -- "the village idiot." Most of Steelers Nation seems pleased with what the offense is doing.

LMAO!!

salamander
11-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Arians sucks!!!!! FIRE HIM!!! :chuckle:

Chidi29
11-21-2011, 11:00 AM
ARIANS SUCKS!!!!

LOUD NOISES!!!

suitanim
11-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I hope he comes back next year just so we can see the usual suspects heads asplode...

Steeldude
11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
i hope the rooneys give him the team. how can they possibly go wrong with this guy at the helm? he is hands down the greatest OC ever.

XxKnightxX
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.pistolspreadoption.com/images/Bubble%20Screen.jpg
Till Death pulls us Apart :whoo:

fansince'76
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I hope he comes back next year just so we can see the usual suspects heads asplode...

I kinda hope he steps down, so the insanity will end. Well, at least for a few games anyway, until his successor is inevitably deemed to be another dipshit unworthy of coaching a Pop Warner team. Ought to take all of about 6 games, tops, I reckon.

salamander
11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
I kinda hope he steps down, so the insanity will end. Well, at least for a few games anyway, until his successor is inevitably deemed to be another dipshit unworthy of coaching a Pop Warner team. Ought to take all of about 6 games, tops, I reckon.

It would take a lot less than 6 games for sure. I figure at least half that.

suitanim
11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.pistolspreadoption.com/images/Bubble%20Screen.jpg
Till Death pulls us Apart :whoo:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/10937-Steelers-screens-test-defenses-mettle

fansince'76
11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
It would take a lot less than 6 games for sure. I figure at least half that.

I'm giving the Nation as a whole a little more credit than it deserves for its patience.

suitanim
11-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Shit...if the first game isn't a 72-0 blowout against the #1 defense where Ben passes for 500, 6 TD's and their aren't 2 200-yard RB's who score the rest of them, with 100% success in the redzone and no punts, there will be threads from the same fucktards who wanted him fired (am I allowed to say "fucktards" if it's a general attack, and not personal???) clamoring for "the good ole days" of Bruce Arians before that first game is over...

Texasteel
11-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Our next OC may be a dipshit, but it will be a while before he is a dipshit that helped to win 2 SBs.

X-Terminator
11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I say you're all wrong - I give it until the first incompletion or the first time the RB is stopped for no gain before there are calls for the next OC to be canned. I don't give The Nation that much credit.

Dino 6 Rings
11-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Next Head coach of the Dolphins?

Austin87
11-22-2011, 04:16 AM
IMO Arians is only an average OC...nothing more nothing less. He isn't as shitty as some claim and he is far from great as others seem to think. This is his best play-calling season so far, I really don't like the guy but he is getting the job done. This isn't the same Bruce Arians from a couple of seasons ago, he has improved as an OC. But then again I also think our offense has improved, especially our WR's.

Texasteel
11-22-2011, 04:43 AM
I see BA as above average. I, and several of the other BA supporters, have seen some calls that have me scratching my head, but have also seen several calls that did in fact work but was messed up by player execution, or good defensive play. To put the players in a position to succeed is all an OC can do, and I think BA has done that a majority of the time. Ben is not going to make a good throw all of the time, the WRs are not going to make the catch all of the time, the OL is not going to make the block all of the time, and BA is not going to make the right call all of the time. That does not mean that Ben, our WRs, or our OL are lousy players, nor does it mean BA is a lousy OC.

fansince'76
11-22-2011, 05:14 AM
IMO Arians is only an average OC...nothing more nothing less.

This is actually where I'm at. Arians certainly isn't the best OC out there, but he's also far from the worst. What bugs me is the myopic scapegoating which is usually foisted in his direction whenever something goes wrong.

Steeldude
11-22-2011, 05:33 AM
joe walton didn't suck. it's the fault of the players for not executing :sofunny:

suitanim
11-22-2011, 05:40 AM
I have him as top 10...nothing more.

I go to the extreme defending him because it's first off, ridiculously hard to get hired as an OC in the NFL. There are, after all, only 32 of them. It's even harder to KEEP the job, and even more difficult to have continued success at it. Arians fits the bill for all of that. Plus I trust the Steelers, and, most importantly, I DON'T trust the Steelers fans. That's based on about 30 solid years of experience. They are spoiled and fickle, and often intellectually lazy and wanting to take the path of least resistance. It's actually harder to step back and look objectively at something AFTER you've made up your mind, and, in the case of Steelers OC's, they are ALL doomed from the second they sign their contract...

Most importantly, fans whining and bitching has no real bearing on anything anyway. There's certainly no one in the Steelers organization who actually gives a shit...that's a bitter pill to swallow for some people who think they are football geniuses, but it's also reality.