PDA

View Full Version : He says he's 'owed nothing,' but doesn't Hines Ward deserve a little more?

Galax Steeler
11-20-2011, 07:44 AM
The Steelers coaches could have displayed better bedside manners when they benched Hines Ward last week.

Maybe the coaching staff believes that veteran receiver Jerricho Cotchery, in his first season with the Steelers, can help the team more than Ward, in his 14th season with the Steelers.

And maybe they are correct. Hines Ward himself said Tuesday that he is "owed nothing" by the coaches. But this someday Hall of Fame candidate deserved one thing -- more respect through a simple, quiet meeting with one of his coaches to tell him that his role had changed.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11324/1191240-66.stm#ixzz1eFjyuvTH

GoSlash27
11-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Hines always said he wanted it exactly this way. He doesn't ever want to be a hindrance to the team. I'm sure Bouchette is more upset about it than Hines.

Bluecoat96
11-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Bouchette has no fucking clue what was said to Hines. There may have been a meeting, or maybe not. Shut up Ed.

Devilsdancefloor
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
hines realizes that he is in the same position as the bus. He is undoubtale the face of the steelers, but he isnt what he used to be. I love his attitude and his play style. I really hope he gets his catches to reach the miles stone of 1000.

Godfather
11-20-2011, 02:53 PM
hines realizes that he is in the same position as the bus. He is undoubtale the face of the steelers, but he isnt what he used to be. I love his attitude and his play style. I really hope he gets his catches to reach the miles stone of 1000.

I agree. I really hope he gets to 1000 too.

Also agree that Bouchette doesn't know what the coaches said in private. Maybe they just wanted Cotchery to get some game action so he wouldn't get rusty. Or maybe they wanted Hines to have extra time to heal after getting hurt twice within a month.

The WH
11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
FO: Hines, we need the younger guys to play more, for the good of the franchise.
Hines: ok.

I'm pretty sure that's all it took to say. Ed Bouchette is trying to take a page from the Bob Smiczik book of writing sports columns. Be absurd, but believe yourself.

steelreserve
11-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I really doubt Hines Ward, of all people, is going to have some butthurt grudge about reduced playing time. The guy has accomplished about everything there is to accomplish and been pretty well paid while doing it. It's not like he needs to prove anything. And he's already talked about retiring anyway.

I mean, if it were TO or Randy Moss, maybe this would be a bit more believable, but .. not really in this case.

fansince'76
11-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Bouchette has no fucking clue what was said to Hines. There may have been a meeting, or maybe not. Shut up Ed.

This. ^

zulater
11-21-2011, 06:28 AM
It's a week to week league, who's to say Hines wont have several games where he's being targeted 5-6-7 times? It's premature to start the wake.

86WARD
11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
It's a week to week league, who's to say Hines wont have several games where he's being targeted 5-6-7 times? It's premature to start the wake.

QFT!

Dino 6 Rings
11-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Isn't Hines getting the "start" as a show of respect to who he is to the Organization and then, as the game goes along the faster guys are getting on the field? I mean, did I miss something?

Craic
11-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Sounds to me like Ed B. is more ticked off that HE wasn't told about it, and was blindsided by the Steelers organization.

Note to Ed. B. You, are not a Steeler. They did not hire you, they do not pay your salary, they do not OWE YOU anything. Now please, stop using the name "Hines Ward" as a metaphor for Ed Bouchete.

steelpinstripe87
11-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Hines always said he wanted it exactly this way. He doesn't ever want to be a hindrance to the team.

This. That's why we love him. He doesn't make a big deal about stats or playing time. He's got two Super Bowl rings (and another one coming before he's done, I can feel it), and Super Bowl MVP. He's never made a big deal of the MVP thing though, either. There is a "me" in team, but I doubt he'd ever notice.

steelerdude15
11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd like to see him get his one thousandth catch, that would be great to see.