PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 Offseason Thread

steelerdude15
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Here's where we could post about things going on with Pirates until the season starts in April 2012. Pirates are doing some roster moves and here they are:
Six minor leaguers join Pirates' 40-man roster

The Pirates added six players to their 40-man roster Friday, ensuring that they would be protected from the Dec. 8 Rule 5 draft.

First baseman Matt Hague, middle infielder Jordy Mercer, center fielder Starling Marte and pitchers Rudy Owens, Justin Wilson and Duke Welker were added to the roster, which is now full. The Pirates also designated outfielder Xavier Paul and catcher Eric Fryer for assignment to make room.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11323/1191222-63.stm#ixzz1eBluzpGK

Pirates claim Hefner, Jeroloman on waivers

The Pirates claimed right-hander Jeremy Hefner and catcher Brian Jeroloman off waivers Friday and sent catcher Matt Pagnozzi outright to Class AAA Indianapolis.

The 40-man roster now has 36 players. Friday is the final day for teams to add players to the 40-man roster and protect them before the Dec. 8 Rule 5 draft.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11322/1190908-100.stm#ixzz1eBm73OQ9

I hope they're all good. We have A LOT of talent in the minor leagues that we should bring up and hopefully these guys play and if they do, I hope they're good.

steelpride12
11-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Still need pitching, but I'll take it.
MUCH better than Cedeno!

Barmes confirms he's headed to Pittsburgh

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111121&content_id=26016208&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

steelerdude15
11-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Still need pitching, but I'll take it.
MUCH better than Cedeno!

Barmes confirms he's headed to Pittsburgh

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111121&content_id=26016208&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit
Hopefully he'll play well for us and hopefully he IS an upgrade.

steelerdude15
11-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Pirates sign handful of minor-league free agents

The Pirates announced today the signing of outfielder Brandon Boggs, right-handed pitchers Kyle Cofield and Jose Diaz and first baseman Stefan Welch.

They also made official the signing of catcher/outfielder Jake Fox and right-hander Shairon Martis.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11327/1192057-100.stm#ixzz1emMknKW1

Lee gets arbitration offer before deadline

The Pirates offered salary arbitration Wednesday to first baseman Derrek Lee, but did not offer it to outfielder Ryan Ludwick or catcher Chris Snyder.

If Lee declines arbitration and signs with another team, the Pirates will receive a draft pick between the first and second rounds of the draft.

They already received one selection when Ryan Doumit signed with the Minnesota Twins.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11328/1192232-63.stm#ixzz1emMxhguv

X-Terminator
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I hope Lee re-signs, but I'm not holding my breath.

steelerdude15
11-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I hope Lee re-signs, but I'm not holding my breath.
It would surely be nice. He played well when we signed him and won a couple of games for the Pirates last year.

steelerdude15
12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Pirates, McLouth closing in on a deal

DALLAS -- The Pirates are close to a deal with outfielder Nate McLouth, according to an industry source.

A former Pirate, McLouth hit .228 in 81 games last season for the Atlanta Braves and .190 through 85 games the previous season. In five seasons with the Pirates, McLouth hit .261 with above-average power numbers.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11340/1194986-100.stm#ixzz1folh5E1M

If anything, he'd be taking Jones spot in right field. He played decently with us and hopefully he can again if he signs.

OnlyOne21
12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Today the Pirates signed LHP Erik Benard. This guy was in high demand a couple years ago but a knee injury, not arm related injury, caused him to miss numerous starts over the past couple years. If he is healed this could be a very good signing. I wish they would have added an option year on the deal. I do not believe they will sign Francis unless no one else offers him a deal in the neighborhood he is seeking.

HometownGal
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Pirates, McLouth closing in on a deal

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11340/1194986-100.stm#ixzz1folh5E1M

If anything, he'd be taking Jones spot in right field. He played decently with us and hopefully he can again if he signs.

:applaudit: yay3: :thumbsup:

Just heard on KDKA that it's a done deal. $1.75 million for one year.

X-Terminator
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I like the Bedard signing - if he stays healthy, he should be a good addition. I think McLouth missed Pittsburgh, and that's why his numbers dropped like a rock after he got traded. Funny that he was traded for Charlie Morton, and now they're teammates. If they sign Francis, I'll consider it a solid off-season by Pirates' standards.

steelerdude15
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM
:applaudit: yay3: :thumbsup:

Just heard on KDKA that it's a done deal. $1.75 million for one year.
My God, at first I thought that said trillion. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I like the Bedard signing - if he stays healthy, he should be a good addition. I think McLouth missed Pittsburgh, and that's why his numbers dropped like a rock after he got traded. Funny that he was traded for Charlie Morton, and now they're teammates. If they sign Francis, I'll consider it a solid off-season by Pirates' standards.
Here's a really good article about the two of them and see what McLouth says about being a Brave:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/aggressive-pirates-sign-veteran-lhp-eric-bedard-bring-back-outfielder-nate-mclouth/2011/12/07/gIQA84XbdO_story.html

OnlyOne21
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Trillion? This is a Pirates thread, not Yankees!

steelerdude15
12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Trillion? This is a Pirates thread, not Yankees!
:chuckle: I know, I have no clue why I thought it was trillion.

steelerdude15
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Lee declines arbitration with Pirates; Ohlendorf released

DALLAS -- The Pirates released Ross Ohlendorf late Wednesday night, around the same time they learned that Derrek Lee declined their offer of salary arbitration;

Ohlendorf, 29, struggled with right shoulder injuries in each of the past two seasons that kept him inactive for several months. When he returned last season, he went 1-3 with an 8.15 ERA.

Ohlendorf won an arbitration case last offseason and earned $2.025 million, and he was eligible for arbitration again this winter. Arbitration rules stipulate that Ohlendorf could not earn less than 80 percent of his previous salary, or about $1.62 million, making him too expensive.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342/1195495-100.stm#ixzz1fzvXmtH8

Thank God Ohlendorf is gone.

Pirates select shortstop Nunez from Tigers in Rule 5 draft

DALLAS -- The Pirates selected shortstop Gustavo Nunez from the Detroit Tigers organization with the eighth pick of the Rule 5 draft.

They also lost LHP Brett Lorin to the Arizona Diamondbacks, who had the 25th pick.

Nunez, a 23-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, signed with the Tigers in 2007. He hit .276 in 96 games split between Class A and Class AA last season.

Lorin, 24, was a fifth-round draft pick of the Seattle Mariners in 2008. He spent the 2011 season with Class A Bradenton and went 7-6 with a 2.84 ERA. The Pirates acquired him in 2009 as part of the Jack Wilson trade.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342/1195510-100.stm#ixzz1fzwELINs

Seems to be another good pickup, the Pirates are busy this year.

X-Terminator
12-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Damn, I wanted them to keep Lee around. They won't pay what he's likely to get on the open market.

Borski
12-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Albert Pujols Leaves the Cards, Ryan Braun on the Brewers fails a drug test and faces a 50 game suspension.....could this be the year for the Pittsburgh Pirates to win the division?!

Seriously, I think we made some huge inprovments last year and this off-season is looking pretty good to me.

BPS3akaWirels3
12-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Has baseball started yet?????

X-Terminator
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Pirates acquire 3B Casey McGehee from Brewers:

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates and Brewers swapped arbitration-eligible players on Monday, with Casey McGehee coming to Pittsburgh in exchange for right-hander Jose Veras.

Veras was in jeopardy of not being tendered a contract by Monday's deadline, while McGehee became expendable after Milwaukee signed free agent Aramis Ramirez to be the club's starting third baseman.

After batting .285 with 23 homers and 104 RBIs in 2010, McGehee endured a tough '11 season, hitting just .223 with 13 homers, 67 RBIs and a .280 on-base percentage. McGehee appeared in 155 games, mostly as the team's starting third baseman.

The addition of McGehee, 29, gives the Pirates another option at third base, though the club has insisted that Pedro Alvarez will get the first crack at holding onto the starting role. If the Pirates don't need McGehee to step in and play third, he could be used across the diamond at first base or as a backup outfielder.

McGehee, like Veras, was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason. He has played in the National League Central for his entire Major League career. In his first full season in the Majors (2009), McGehee batted .301 with 20 doubles, 16 homers and 66 RBIs in 116 games.

Veras made a career-high 79 appearances for the Pirates in 2011, many of those coming in late-inning setup situations. The 31-year-old right-hander finished with a 3.80 ERA, 79 strikeouts and 34 walks in 71 innings.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111212&content_id=26153020&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Another solid pickup for the Bucs. McGehee will definitely push Alvarez, especially if he shows anything close to what he did in 2010. Huntington making some decent moves so far this off-season.

steelerdude15
12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Pirates acquire 3B Casey McGehee from Brewers:

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates and Brewers swapped arbitration-eligible players on Monday, with Casey McGehee coming to Pittsburgh in exchange for right-hander Jose Veras.

Veras was in jeopardy of not being tendered a contract by Monday's deadline, while McGehee became expendable after Milwaukee signed free agent Aramis Ramirez to be the club's starting third baseman.

After batting .285 with 23 homers and 104 RBIs in 2010, McGehee endured a tough '11 season, hitting just .223 with 13 homers, 67 RBIs and a .280 on-base percentage. McGehee appeared in 155 games, mostly as the team's starting third baseman.

The addition of McGehee, 29, gives the Pirates another option at third base, though the club has insisted that Pedro Alvarez will get the first crack at holding onto the starting role. If the Pirates don't need McGehee to step in and play third, he could be used across the diamond at first base or as a backup outfielder.

McGehee, like Veras, was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason. He has played in the National League Central for his entire Major League career. In his first full season in the Majors (2009), McGehee batted .301 with 20 doubles, 16 homers and 66 RBIs in 116 games.

Veras made a career-high 79 appearances for the Pirates in 2011, many of those coming in late-inning setup situations. The 31-year-old right-hander finished with a 3.80 ERA, 79 strikeouts and 34 walks in 71 innings.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111212&content_id=26153020&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Another solid pickup for the Bucs. McGehee will definitely push Alvarez, especially if he shows anything close to what he did in 2010. Huntington making some decent moves so far this off-season.

This is great pick up IMO and it was steal. The Bucs have been quite busy this off-season. I still have faith in Pedro and hopefully it will push him. This team is really coming together.

steelerdude15
12-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Pirates bring back Grilli on one-year contract

PITTSBURGH -- Jason Grilli will be back in the Pirates' bullpen next season, having secured his spot on the club by agreeing to terms on a one-year deal with Pittsburgh. According to mlbtraderumors.com, the contract will pay Grilli $1.1 million in 2012.

After beginning the 2011 season in the Phillies' Minor League system, Grilli was granted his release on July 19 so that he could sign with Pittsburgh two days later. He went on to make 28 appearances and post a 2.48 ERA with the Pirates. Grilli, 35, struck out 37 and walked 15 in those 32 2/3 innings.

The right-hander quickly worked his way into a setup role and was scored upon just twice in his final 19 appearances.

Read More:http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111212&content_id=26153234&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

OnlyOne21
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
McGehee is a good pick up and while one would think that Pedro should have enough personal motivation due to his lack of production since being picked number one, this move sends him a clear signal that if he doesn't produce there will be a plan in place to put him on the pine.

I truly feel the guy has major talent and is built to produce huge numbers in PNC. I think his issue is more mental.

McGehee has also played a handful of games at first and my guess is based on his size probably has played his share of first base through his upbringing. So a platoon at first base with Jones should produce better numbers than what was penciled in prior to the off season figuring Lee wasn't going to resign.

X-Terminator
12-15-2011, 05:49 AM
You know what makes me laugh, though? All of these new guys saying the Pirates took a step forward last season. Um, they lost 92 friggin' games! How is that a "step forward?"

Borski
12-15-2011, 06:32 AM
You know what makes me laugh, though? All of these new guys saying the Pirates took a step forward last season. Um, they lost 92 friggin' games! How is that a "step forward?"

I agree they took a big step forward. We had a 3 game lead on the division after the All Star Break. after that we lost momentum and collapsed but the first half of the season showed great promise. If they can build on that and remain consistent through the season we'll do good.

steelerdude15
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I feel is heading in the right direction and took a big step last year. They might have had a losing season, but they still won sixteen or seventeen more games than 2010.

OnlyOne21
12-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I think the step forward has more to do with the first half of the season and that for the first time that many games into the season the games had more meaning. They also got to experience the town actually embracing them and be excited to talk baseball, not just hearing Steelers and Penguins stories.

Yes they lost 92 games but honestly when was the last time there was excitement over being a Pirate fan from outside of just the diehards?

steelerdude15
12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Left hand healed, Tabata hits the cage: Outfielder cleared to resume hitting following clean bill of health

Jose Tabata resumed swinging a bat last week after receiving a clean bill of health from the Pirates' medical staff.

Tabata's season ended in early September because of a fractured bone in his left hand. The 23-year-old outfielder, who was just in Pittsburgh for the club's Caravan and PirateFest events, had that hand re-examined while he was in town.

As soon as he was told that his hand had properly healed, Tabata went into the indoor batting cage and started swinging.

Read More: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111219&content_id=26196708&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

I hope he and Pedro can come back from their sophomore slumps.

steelpride12
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Tabata was a singles beast when he was healthy and if only we can get Alvarez to his peak this team WILL take the next step in greatly improving.

X-Terminator
01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Tabata was a singles beast when he was healthy and if only we can get Alvarez to his peak this team WILL take the next step in greatly improving.

I still don't think they have enough starting pitching or power to really take the next step. But if Pedro turns into anything like we all hoped he would and their starting pitching does enough, they might be able to get to .500. Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic that will happen - not completely pessimistic. I will say their bullpen has the potential to be one of the best in the majors.

steelpride12
01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I still don't think they have enough starting pitching or power to really take the next step. But if Pedro turns into anything like we all hoped he would and their starting pitching does enough, they might be able to get to .500. Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic that will happen - not completely pessimistic. I will say their bullpen has the potential to be one of the best in the majors.
Yes I'm taking it one small step at a time. Last season we saw we have spurts of greatness early and were even #1 in the division for a short period, but this season I want to see consistency. Not a division championship or playoff run, that would be exaggerating, I just want to see a .500 team, but our starting pitching is still our weak point.

steelerdude15
01-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes I'm taking it one small step at a time. Last season we saw we have spurts of greatness early and were even #1 in the division for a short period, but this season I want to see consistency. Not a division championship or playoff run, that would be exaggerating, I just want to see a .500 team, but our starting pitching is still our weak point.
I'd be happy with a winning record, even if they don't make the playoffs.

steelpride12
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd be happy with a winning record, even if they don't make the playoffs.
Same even 1 more win than loss and I'm the happiest guy alive.

steelerdude15
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Same even 1 more win than loss and I'm the happiest guy alive.
I'm honestly hoping that the Pirates prove everyone wrong and have a winning season. It would be better if they made it to the playoffs, but one step at a time.

steelpride12
01-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Not gonna lie the one thing that sucked about them having a strong span of time last season was all the bandwagon fans who came out of the wood work and went to games. They probably didn't even know Pittsburgh had a pro team :lol:

X-Terminator
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Not gonna lie the one thing that sucked about them having a strong span of time last season was all the bandwagon fans who came out of the wood work and went to games. They probably didn't even know Pittsburgh had a pro team :lol:

Well, actually they haven't had a pro team in 20 years, so I'll excuse them for that...

steelerdude15
01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Well, actually they haven't had a pro team in 20 years, so I'll excuse them for that...
It was extremely odd to hear about people wearing Pirates stuff down here. My dad and I were pretty much the only people wearing Pirates gear, but when they were playing good last year, I heard about other people wearing Pirates gear. Whole families at that.

steelerdude15
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Hanrahan skips arbitration, signs for 2012 with Pirates

The Pirates and closer Joel Hanrahan avoided salary arbitration today when they agreed to a one-year contract for 2012.

Financial terms were not immediately available. ESPN's Keith Law reported on Twitter that Hanrahan got $4.1 million.

He made $1.4 million in 2011, also agreeing to a contract shortly before the deadline to exchange figures last offseason.

Hanrahan, 30, saved 40 games last season and made the All-Star team for the first time.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12016/1203913-100.stm#ixzz1jfGzKWDz

steelpride12
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Good keep. Any posivite moves toward the pitching aspect is huge.

steelerdude15
01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Pirates sign Karstens for $3.1 million to avoid arbitration

The Pirates and Jeff Karstens avoided arbitration Tuesday when they agreed to a one-year deal for 2012.

Karstens will receive $3.1 million, according to a source.

Karstens, 29, was eligible for arbitration for the second time. He avoided arbitration before 2011 as well when he agreed to a $1.1 million contract.

Karstens joined the Pirates in 2008 along with Ross Ohlendorf, Daniel McCutchen and Jose Tabata from the New York Yankees in exchange for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte. He moved between the bullpen and the rotation in 2009 and '10, but took Ohlendorf's spot in the rotation in 2011 after Ohlendorf got hurt early in the season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204085-100.stm#ixzz1jmX3wvfq

The Buccos are a little busy this off-season keeping this rotation. I hope there won't be another collapse like last year. Maybe Cole will be ready mid-season? :noidea:

steelpride12
01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
I think we need to worry about picking up NEW pitchers instead of re-signing inconsistant ones.

steelerdude15
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
I think we need to worry about picking up NEW pitchers instead of re-signing inconsistant ones.

Karstens wasn't bad actually. He had one of the lowest eras through out the year.

steelpride12
01-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Karstens wasn't bad actually. He had one of the lowest eras through out the year.
Believe me I loved our rotation and it was above and beyond what I expected, but most were inconsistent and to be honest won't get us anywhere.

steelerdude15
01-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Believe me I loved our rotation and it was above and beyond what I expected, but most were inconsistent and to be honest won't get us anywhere.

If they don't collapse like they all did last year and if our relief pitchers don't blow up either. I think we'll be set. We also should be expecting our first two picks of the 2010 and 2011 drafts here soon.... hopefully.

steelpride12
01-25-2012, 09:05 AM
If they don't collapse like they all did last year and if our relief pitchers don't blow up either. I think we'll be set. We also should be expecting our first two picks of the 2010 and 2011 drafts here soon.... hopefully.
Ya it would be nice to have them come up, well see. I just think the starting rotation is not good enough for an entire season and would collapse again, but I hope to the world I am wrong.

Hindes204
01-25-2012, 09:59 AM
I liked Karstens and Hanrahan, Im pretty happy they will be coming back

steelerdude15
01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Ya it would be nice to have them come up, well see. I just think the starting rotation is not good enough for an entire season and would collapse again, but I hope to the world I am wrong.

If we could only have our two first round picks up I think we'd be set and ready to go. I have confidence in our starters, but they simply cannot allow what happened last year to happen again.

X-Terminator
02-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Just now saw these...good price for Hammer, overpaid for Karstens. I don't think he will be anywhere near as good as he was last season. As for Cole, he is definitely on the fast track and is further ahead than Jamison Taillon right now. I don't see him with the team until next year, though. He'll get as high as AA this season if all goes well.

steelpride12
02-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Rebuilding season for the Bucs :sarcasm: Just 20 more years and they will finally be ready!

steelerdude15
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Bucs: Pirates Interested In A.J. Burnett?

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) — The Pittsburgh Pirates have reportedly inquired about New York Yankees starting pitcher A.J. Burnett.

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Pirates have contacted New York regarding Burnett and a possible move could happen, given the Yankees have been trying to move Burnett for a while and spring training is fast approaching.

The Yankees want to clear salary room to sign so they can re-sign both free agent infielder Eric Chavez and a left-handed designated hitter. Burnett is owed $33 million in the final two years of his contract.

The Pirates want another starting pitcher and missed out on signing Edwin Jackson, who signed with the Washington Nationals. Burnett presents another opportunity, and Pittsburgh is not a team on his no-waive list.

Read More: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/02/09/bucs-pirates-interested-in-a-j-burnett/

Hmmmm.... sounds interesting.

steelerdude15
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Looking at his stats, they aren't that good.

Borski
02-11-2012, 11:19 PM
He also plays in the strongest division in baseball. I think he would be a huge improvement to our lineup.

X-Terminator
02-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Burnett isn't a world-beater by any means, but he would become the best starter on the team if the Pirates sign him. I'm not getting my hopes up - it is the Pirates, after all.

BPS3akaWirels3
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
The Burnett deal is looking better and better everyday...

steelerdude15
02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know how I would feel if we signed him...

BPS3akaWirels3
02-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Hearing there will be an announcement tomorrow..

Borski
02-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Can't wait

steelerdude15
02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Pirates beat Jones in salary arbitration, sign McGehee

The Pirates won their arbitration case against Garrett Jones and agreed to terms with Casey McGehee on a contract for 2012, the team announced this morning.

The two are likely to platoon at first base this season. Jones could also play some right field, and McGehee could see time at third base.

Arbiters in St. Petersburg, Fla., agreed with the club's offer of $2.25 million for Jones, who was seeking $2.5 million. Jones made $455,500 last season and was eligible for arbitration for the first time.

As a Super 2 category player, he has three more years of arbitration eligibility remaining.

His hearing was Wednesday.

Jones, 30, hit .243 with 16 home runs and 58 RBIs in 2011 with an OBP of .321.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12047/1210669-100.stm#ixzz1mZCpcnoX

I'm happy to see they signed McGehee.

zulater
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
The Pirates are dead to me until they change ownership. To support this group is like enabling a drug addicted or abusive spouse. The part that pisses me off the most is that Mario and his partner with the Penguins are willing to buy the team and give the current carpet baggers a fair profit. But they obviously prefer the slow bleeding of the Pittsburgh market place than the quick kill.

Mario's partnership would turn this team around in less than 5 years. Every game you go to or watch keeps the current regime in place. So so long Pirates. The memories from the mid 60's to the mid 90's were great. But we're done for now.

Borski
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
The Pirates are dead to me until they change ownership. To support this group is like enabling a drug addicted or abusive spouse. The part that pisses me off the most is that Mario and his partner with the Penguins are willing to buy the team and give the current carpet baggers a fair profit. But they obviously prefer the slow bleeding of the Pittsburgh market place than the quick kill.

Mario's partnership would turn this team around in less than 5 years. Every game you go to or watch keeps the current regime in place. So so long Pirates. The memories from the mid 60's to the mid 90's were great. But we're done for now.

While I am not a huge fan of ownership, they have shown to me since last year that they are improving. I will always support the Pirates, no matter who the owner is.

:jolly:

X-Terminator
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
You put Mario and Burkle in charge of the Pirates, and I give it 3 years before we're talking championship. Guaranteed. As we've seen with the Pens, they will not settle for anything less than excellence in all facets of the organization. But Baghdad Bob will never sell unless the league forces him to. However, I do have some interest in what they're going to do, especially in a weakened NL Central, but the support I have right now depends on what they do with McCutchen. If they keep dicking him around rather than paying him what he's worth, then I'll go back to not giving a shit about them until either Mario/Burkle or Mark Cuban buys the team.

steelerdude15
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I will support who ever the owner is too, even if its Nutting. I'll give Neal some credit though.

steelpride12
02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I agree with the ownership situation as I have argued for over 5 years now, but what can we do. The ownership is not going to change and all, Nutting is young and going to own them as long as he possibly can. Last year was a step in the right direction and at this point I'll take anything positive. Burnett is a risk, but we all know what he is capable of and he would automatically be the top if not 2nd in our rotation.

ESPN reported today that he declined an offer from the Angels and is square set on the Bucs now.

steelerdude15
02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Pirates seal deal for pitcher Burnett

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Pirates and New York Yankees reached an agreement today that will send right-handed starter A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh, according to a source.

The Yankees will pay $20 million of the remaining $33 million owed Burnett over the next two seasons, and the Pirates will send two prospects to the Yankees, the source said.

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig must approve the transaction because it involves a transfer of more than $1 million. The deal is also pending a physical.

Serious negotiations lasted more than a week between the two teams.

It is not known which prospects will be involved, though reports suggested that right-hander Diego Moreno could be one of them. They will not be high-level prospects; a source indicated earlier in the week that the Pirates preferred to pay more of Burnett's salary rather than part with higher-caliber prospects.

Burnett, 35, went 11-11 with a 5.15 ERA last season and had a 5.00-plus ERA in each of the past two seasons. He signed a five-year, $82.5 million contract before the 2009 season after opting out of a five-year, $55 million deal with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12048/1210897-100.stm#ixzz1mi2U1DM3

Yeah, I still don't know how I feel about this. I mean, I'm glad the Pirates are spending money, but for a player that's thirty-five and his stats aren't all that great.

X-Terminator
02-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Honestly, I'm shocked they made this kind of move. It's not like Baghdad Bob to spend oodles of cash on anyone. Anyway, maybe he has better stats in the NL...maybe he turns into another Matt Morris. But it's still interesting that they are taking on this kind of risk.

oneforthetoe
02-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Honestly, I'm shocked they made this kind of move. It's not like Baghdad Bob to spend oodles of cash on anyone. Anyway, maybe he has better stats in the NL...maybe he turns into another Matt Morris. But it's still interesting that they are taking on this kind of risk.

I am surprised as well. I am also not sure how much confidence I have in Burnett. Still, I don't see this is all that big of a risk. Apparently we are not giving up any top prospects. And 13 million over two years is not all that big of a risk.

Truthfully, the best part of the deal (if true) is this:
....... the Pirates preferred to pay more of Burnett's salary rather than part with higher-caliber prospects.

That would be a change.

steelpride12
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
This is fantastic news. Yes he is a risk, but we all know what he is capable of and instantly can be our #1-2 guy in the line up. Burnett, Correia, Morton, McDonald. I like it and am very excited!

zulater
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't take this the wrong way XT. But what exactly does Jordan Staal have to do with the Pirates? :noidea:

I wouldn't surprise me if he could help them though. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm at work and wasn't paying attention to the thread I was posting in. :doh2: I've moved it to the proper thread.

X-Terminator
02-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Now this is just unbelievable, and yet another shining example of idiocy from the joke of a franchise that is the Pittsburgh Pirates:

Pirates president Frank Coonelly has been charged with four counts related to drunken driving in Ross.

Ross Township police arrested Coonelly, 51, of Sewickley on Dec. 22 and charged him with drunken driving, driving the wrong way, careless driving and driving with a blood-alcohol content of at least .16, according to court records. The state's legal limit is .08.

Police described the DUI charges as Coonelly`s first offenses, according to the court documents.

"My actions that evening were irresponsible and wrong," Coonelly said in a statement. He arrived this morning in Bradenton, Fla., to join the Pirates at their spring training complex.

"I take full and sole responsibility for them. There is no excuse for ever driving under the influence of alcohol."

Coonelly is married with four children.

"My wife and I have preached to our children about the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol, not only for themselves but for the innocent drivers, passengers and pedestrians on the road," Coonelly said. "I am embarrassed that I failed to follow this advice myself on this occasion and extremely grateful no one was injured or adversely affected by this serious lapse of judgment."

Read more: Pirates president Coonelly charged with DUI - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_783147.html#ixzz1nE5WXCHH)

Serious lapse of judgment? Yeah, I'd say so, you friggin moron!

Hindes204
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
o
Now this is just unbelievable, and yet another shining example of idiocy from the joke of a franchise that is the Pittsburgh Pirates:

Pirates president Frank Coonelly has been charged with four counts related to drunken driving in Ross.

Ross Township police arrested Coonelly, 51, of Sewickley on Dec. 22 and charged him with drunken driving, driving the wrong way, careless driving and driving with a blood-alcohol content of at least .16, according to court records. The state's legal limit is .08.

Police described the DUI charges as Coonelly`s first offenses, according to the court documents.

"My actions that evening were irresponsible and wrong," Coonelly said in a statement. He arrived this morning in Bradenton, Fla., to join the Pirates at their spring training complex.

"I take full and sole responsibility for them. There is no excuse for ever driving under the influence of alcohol."

Coonelly is married with four children.

"My wife and I have preached to our children about the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol, not only for themselves but for the innocent drivers, passengers and pedestrians on the road," Coonelly said. "I am embarrassed that I failed to follow this advice myself on this occasion and extremely grateful no one was injured or adversely affected by this serious lapse of judgment."

Read more: Pirates president Coonelly charged with DUI - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_783147.html#ixzz1nE5WXCHH)

Serious lapse of judgment? Yeah, I'd say so, you friggin moron!

I am in no way condoning what he did, it was a bad decision, but hes human. If this was a reoccurring theme with him or a history of other issues I would be worried.

Have you never in your life driven after a few drinks?

steeldevil
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
o

I am in no way condoning what he did, it was a bad decision, but hes human. If this was a reoccurring theme with him or a history of other issues I would be worried.

I'm not condoning him either as I have driven buzzed more than a few times, and I'm only 23...

But .16??? Thats more than a few drinks unless he is quite skinny and a lightweight.

X-Terminator
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
o

No, actually I haven't. Of course, I haven't been driving for very long, either. Maybe I was being a bit harsh, but this guy is the president of a MLB team, albeit a cheap imitation. He should know better than that, especially since he knew he had more than "just a few drinks."

steelpride12
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
You can have an excuse when you're a run of the mill everyday citizen like us, but when you are a president in any professional sport you might want to reconsider how you spend your days when alcohol is involved.

steelpride12
03-01-2012, 05:29 PM
HAHAHAHA 20 more years of doom and gloom ugh :(
Orbital fracture for Burnett, surgery Fridayhttp://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120301&content_id=26934754&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

X-Terminator
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
You've got to be kidding me!? Man, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This team is so cursed that it isn't funny anymore.

steelpride12
03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
You've got to be kidding me!? Man, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This team is so cursed that it isn't funny anymore.
Believe me, I've passed the crying stage, but it is pure enjoyment anymore. A true injury curse is not only on the Bucs, but all Pittsburgh teams at the moment. Doctors report today 8 to 12 weeks recovery....
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_784514.html

Hindes204
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I still say we finish above .500

Dammit, Ive been saying that for 20 years, its gotta come true sooner or later

steelerdude15
03-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Well, the Buccos lost their first game today, seven to one.

X-Terminator
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Source: #Pirates and Andrew McCutchen agree on a 6-year contract worth $51.5 m with a club option for $14.75 m.

Official announcement, pending a physical, will likely come Tuesday. #Pirates

https://twitter.com/#!/msanserino (https://twitter.com/#%21/msanserino)

Wow, I can't believe Baghdad Bob spent that kind of money on McCutchen. Yeah, it's only a 3rd of what Prince Fielder will make in a year, but still...$8.5 million a year with a $14.75 million option? Can't be the same guy.

steelerdude15
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Wow, I can't believe Baghdad Bob spent that kind of money on McCutchen. Yeah, it's only a 3rd of what Prince Fielder will make in a year, but still...$8.5 million a year with a $14.75 million option? Can't be the same guy.

This is actually..... exciting!

oneforthetoe
03-05-2012, 02:08 PM

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1634498255070&id=f55bc19513b4254685ab76f9361396d6

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1634634834866&id=73e819d5c7a7dcb0f25f6941f3a30e67

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1650021051569&id=e26faf31de37e640cd5d6cbe25e797e0

That is all I have to say.

Borski
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Neat the Yankees today , we're back at .500!

steelerdude15
03-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey, we beat the Yankees. O wait, its only spring training. :chuckle:

steelpride12
03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
We always win in Spring Training. What a tease :lol:

steelerdude15
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
The Buccos are on against the Red Sox on MLBTV at seven! I'll be watching that and the Pens at the same time!

Borski
03-09-2012, 03:48 PM
aww man, i have to work tonight... I hope we get an mlbtv game on a saturday or sunday sometime soon.

steelerdude15
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Bucs killing it seven to three right now and Cutch is looking good.

steelerdude15
03-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Cutch continues to deliver and the Buccos looked good tonight. I'm excited to see what this team is going to do in the regular season.

steelerdude15
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Bucs have dominated the past two games, but today's game could be a tough one.

steelerdude15
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
The Pirates have lost the past couple of games, but players are stepping up, especially Cutch.

X-Terminator
03-23-2012, 03:18 AM
The good news is that A.J. Burnett may be back a lot sooner than everyone thought. He's scheduled to pitch a simulated game this weekend. If all goes well, I would think he would be ready to go by the middle of April, but we'll see. The bad news is that Pedro is inching closer and closer to Bustville with every K. Dude cannot make contact consistently to save his life.

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Pirates make roster moves

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Pirates optioned infielder Jordy Mercer to Class AAA Indianapolis and reassigned pitchers Jo-Jo Reyes, Doug Slaten and Shairon Martis to minor league camp today.

The Pirates now have 35 active players in camp.

Mercer, the Pirates' third-round pick in 2008, hit .238 in 21 at-bats this spring.

"He can do some things defensively, he's maturing as a hitter," general manager Neal Huntington said. "A lot of it is just going to be his versatility, his ability to play second, his ability to play third as well as he plays short."

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-make-roster-moves-627849/

Pirates are making some good choices IMO. I'm hoping this year is the year we finally have a winning season. If we go 82-80, I will be absolutely thrilled.

By the way, the Cardinals lost their best pitcher Chris Carpenter who's out indefinitely with nerve irritation in his shoulder and the Reds lost their closer Ryan Madson to have season ending elbow surgery which is a big blow to them. With Prince Fielder now a Tiger and Casey McGehee with us, this might be the year for the Pirates to finally win the division and have a winning record.

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Bedard gets nod for Pirates opener

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pirates manager Clint Hurdle named left-hander Erik Bedard Thursday as the opening-day starter against the Philadelphia Phillies April 5 at PNC Park.

Jeff Karstens, James McDonald and Kevin Correia will follow Bedard.

"We felt our strongest rotation coming out of the chute would fall this way," Hurdle said after the Pirates lost, 8-6, Thursday to Tampa Bay at McKechnie Field.

The Pirates signed Bedard as a free agent in the offseason. A.J. Burnett would have started opening day, Hurdle said, had he not been injured.

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/bedard-gets-nod-for-pirates-opener-627651/

I definitely think that Bedard will be good for us, he seems to be having a good spring training. Here's to hoping he has a good year and gets us a W on opening day!

OnlyOne21
03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I think the Pirates should think about spending a little money and bring in Dave Parker to spend some time with Pedro. The guy has way too much natural talent to be in this much of a funk. This isn't me reading the box scores but actually watching some of his at bats during the Spring.

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I think the Pirates should think about spending a little money and bring in Dave Parker to spend some time with Pedro. The guy has way too much natural talent to be in this much of a funk. This isn't me reading the box scores but actually watching some of his at bats during the Spring.

From what I understand is that Pedro is struggling horribly. I think one stat showed he was four for twenty-four at bat. He could be a huge aspect for this team if he got his stuff together.

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 05:10 PM
The Pirates had twenty hits in their nine to seven win today, just throwing that out there.

steelerdude15
03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
From what I keep reading, our main pitchers (Bedard, Correia, Karstens, and Meeks) seem to be tearing it up. Cutch is delivering, our new catcher Barajas is playing well, and others are having a good spring training. Some are not doing as well (that would be you Pedro) while others are on fire. I could see this team doing some damage this year and having a winning record, possibly even winning the division, but one step at a time. Can't wait for opening day.

steelerdude15
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Pirates' Morton will start season on DL

BRADENTON, Fla. -- As smoothly as Charlie Morton's rehabilitation has gone this offseason, he will not start the season on the active roster.

The Pirates will place Morton on the 15-day disabled list, general manager Neal Huntington said Thursday, so Morton can increase his pitch count and start at least two more games before returning to the Pirates.

"For him to be where he is is a tremendous credit to Charlie," Huntington said. "We feel like [he's] just not quite ready to go."

Morton will start a simulated game April 4 in Bradenton. He will join the Pirates for opening day in Pittsburgh and then is scheduled to make a rehabilitation start April 9 with Class AAA Indianapolis.

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-morton-will-start-season-on-dl-628865/

steelpride12
04-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I like what I see from the Buccos in Spring Training. Would like to have Morton and Burnett to start the season, but they will be back soon enough. Go Bucs!

X-Terminator
04-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Well, the season starts tomorrow afternoon. Will they finally end the streak, or will it be yet another season of failure? We'll see. I'm thinking that this is Neal Huntington's last chance at success. If they don't show significant improvement this season and get to .500, he will be fired, along with President DUI.

Also, Pedro has one month to show anything resembling his offense from 2010 or officially be called a bust. If he was hitting a lot of HR to go along with those Ks, it wouldn't be that big a deal, but he's not even doing that. He also has the slowest bat I have ever seen from a guy that size - it's almost like he's swinging a bat made of concrete.

steelerdude15
04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Well, the season starts tomorrow afternoon. Will they finally end the streak, or will it be yet another season of failure? We'll see. I'm thinking that this is Neal Huntington's last chance at success. If they don't show significant improvement this season and get to .500, he will be fired, along with President DUI.

Also, Pedro has one month to show anything resembling his offense from 2010 or officially be called a bust. If he was hitting a lot of HR to go along with those Ks, it wouldn't be that big a deal, but he's not even doing that. He also has the slowest bat I have ever seen from a guy that size - it's almost like he's swinging a bat made of concrete.

They were saying on 93.7 the Fan that he went down hill after he got married...

steelpride12
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
OPENING DAY!!!!!! I couldn't be more excited we go Buccos baseball and the Pens play as well! Looking for a strong pitching start today. It needs to be crisp against the Phillies. I believe this can be a better season. Go Bucs!

steelerdude15
04-05-2012, 12:25 PM
This is it, opening day! Hoping for a win today! Let's go Bucs!

zulater
09-30-2012, 05:05 PM

I posted this in Feburary, and stand by every word today.

Edman
09-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I posted this in Feburary, and stand by every word today.

No Kidding. This is simply inexcusable.