PDA

View Full Version : Why Roger Goodell Will Cut Ben Roethlisbergers Suspension Short.

LLT
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Why Roger Goodell Will Cut Ben Roethlisbergers Suspension Short.
by Nick Signorelli
bleacher report

When Roger Goodell decided to suspend Ben Roethlisberger for violating the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, the suspension was set for six games.
Goodell then added that Ben Roethlisberger would have to undergo counseling, and if there were no problems found, then he would be able to return to the Steelers for the rest of training camp.
Goodell then added that if Roethlisberger were to stay out of trouble prior to the season, that the suspension could be reduced to as few as four games.
So, why would Roger Goodell reduce the suspension to four games? Here is why.

He did what he was told.
Ben Roethlisberger immediately spoke with the counselor that the NFL wanted him to speak with.
He was even asked to come back for additional sessions, and he did so, even though it was not required by the league.

No Appeal?
Ben Roethlisberger was hit with the largest suspension for a player that was never even charged with a crime.
Many people believe that if Ben Roethlisberger would have appealed the suspension, then the league would have had to over turn the suspension, or at least reduce it.
If nothing else, they could have gotten the suspension down to four games, which is exactly where Goodell said he could take it down to.

Suspension is excessive
If a player is caught taking PED's (performance enhancing drugs), they are not even suspended the first time. They are fined, and counselling.
On the second offense, they are suspended for four games.
The only thing that is certain in the Ben Roethlisberger situation is that he had bad judgement.
Why should a player, that makes mistakes off the field be suspended longer than players that cheat on the field?

Shaun Rogers
In late March, Shaun Rogers was arrested for allegedly attempting to bring a loaded weapon onto an airplane.
The gun was loaded, cocked, and ready to fire.
This is not Rogers first discrepancy with the NFL. In 2006, Rogers was suspended for four games by the NFL for violating the leagues PED policy.
Though the official suspension from the NFL has not come down, Rogers was arrested and charged, which neither happened to Roethlisberger.

Vince Young
In early June, Vince Young was with friends at a strip club. One of the clubs security guards showed Young an upside down Longhorn symbol, which was seen by Young as a sign of disrespect to Texas University, Youngs old school.
Young proceeded to get into a fight with the man, and the entire incident was caught on camera.
Some people think that this was the first offense of Young, and technically, they are wrong.
At the beginning of the 2009 season, while Young was the back up, he was not taking it very well.
He left the Titans facility in a poor state of mind, and Jeff Fisher and Youngs family were worried that he was going to hurt himeslf.
Matters were made worse when it was found out that Young had a loaded gun with him.
Remember, under the PCP, the player does not have to be arrested or charged with a crime. If they do anything that would view the NFL to be seen in a bad light, that is just cause for suspension.

Mike Vick
Mike Vick was the first player that was severly punished by the NFL under the the Personal Conduct Policy.
The suspension to Vick was one of the most severe the NFL has ever dished out.
At Vicks birthday in late June, one of his formes associates Quanis Phillips, that was also found guilty, was shot.
Vick was told that he was not permitted to associate with any of his "Bad Newz Kennels" partners.
Vick has stated that he was long gone from the club when Phillips was shot, however, video shows that Vick left less than five minutes before the shooting.
The longer the suspension to Roethlisberger, the worse this is going look if Vick is not suspended again.

Cedric Benson
On May 3, 2008, Benson was arrested for DUI, when he failed a sobriety test while boating in Austin, TX. In the incident, the police found in necessary to use pepper spray on Benson when he resisted arrest.
On June 7, 2008, Benson was again arrested for DUI.
During the end of May, 2010, Benson again was in Austin, TX. And again, Benson has been arrested. This time, for allegedly punching a bar tender in the face while being asked to leave a club.

Robaire Smith
Less than three months after Shaun Rogers was arrested for having a concealed weapon in an airport, another Cleveland Brown has been charged with the same crime.
Robaire Smith has been charged with the same crime as Shaun Rogers. Smith was actually with Rogers when Rogers was arrested earlier this year.
Smith was found to have the loaded weapone with him, and has been charged with having a firearm at a commercial airport.

Issues with other players
Prior to suspending Roethlisberger, Goodell allowed the Georgia Bureau of Investigation to complete their inquiry.
The GBI stated that there is not enough evidence to get a conviction against Roethlisberger.
Goodell stated that it did not matter if a players is charged or not. Any actions that will make the NFL look bad, are actions that he is going to suspend people for.
Yes, crimes against women are unacceptable. But the reality is, there is no evidence that Roethlisberger did anything illegal in the first place.
Shaun Rogers - Weapon was found on him.
Vince Young - Video evidence shows that he was in the fight.
Mike Vick - Evidence proves he violated the terms of his reinstatement.
Cedric Benson - Third alcohol involved incident in two years.
Robaire Smith - Weapon found on him.
In all of these cases, it is obvious that there is more evidence against all of these players.
When Goodell makes his ruling against any and all of these men, he is going to have to use the Roethlisberger suspension as the basis of their suspensions.
If, none of these men are suspended, the there will be legal issues based on the fact that there was not enough evidence to even charge Roethlisberger, and all of the other men were caught with irrefutable evidence.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/415109-why-roger-goodell-will-cut-ben-roethlisbergers-suspension-short#page/10

BigNastyDefense
07-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I think it's going to be reduced to four because six games was too harsh. I am starting to think that Goodell knows this, but he was making a statement with the six games. But by probably not suspending Young even two games, and the chance that there won't be a suspension for Benson of at least four games with his history.....it makes his statement useless because he's not living up to it.

siss
07-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Or he made the suspension so harsh in hopes that it would give Ben wake up call and have no choice but to comply. But hasn't complained or whined about it. He has excepted responsibility and seems to be working towards a better life. And for that he should be comended.

SteelCityMan786
07-03-2010, 12:46 PM
6 Games is too harsh under the player conduct policy. As far as I am aware of the max Goodell could have suspended him for was 4 games

stillers4me
07-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I should have been 3 games cut to 2 to begin with.

siss
07-03-2010, 12:52 PM
The steelers can only suspend him for 4 games. The Commish can suspend him for as long as he wants.

venom
07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
4 games is more than enough especially knowing that if he screws up again, HES GONE !!!!!

Steelerchad
07-03-2010, 01:02 PM

That's what I thought maybe a 3 or 4 game suspension with it netting down to 2 games after he behaved well. When I heard the 6 down to 4, I was shocked it was so harsh. I think they made an example of a guy who is a big name in the league. Ben's own fame contributed to all of this mess.
I haven't heard crap about the Colt's guy or Vikes guy who were accused of the exact same thing. Don't even remember their names, that's how insignificant they are and the media could care less because of it.

solardave
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
LLT,

Good post and you bring up some valid points. It seems that if a woman is not involved in Goodells eyes it is not bad conduct! OR you have to at least SHOOT YOURSELF!!!!

hotrodder07
07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
While I think the punishment was harsh, especially when compared to the points brought up in the first post, I also believe that this may end up being the best thing for Roethlisberger's careless behavior. If he was not punished at all, then he may have never changed his ways. If anything would be a wake up call for him, it's being suspended for a quarter of the season.

klick81
07-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Although I'm hoping for four games, I would not be surprised one bit if GOD-all keeps the suspension at six games.

steeldawg
07-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I dont think Ben should of been suspended at all. I mean what in the world was he suspended for? This question has yet to be answered.

Moose
07-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I think he made the punishment harsh because #1 everyone was getting sick and tired of the actions of Ben, #2 his play day in Las Vegas is still up in the air, and #3 he definitely wanted to make a statement to Ben to shape up or the Rooney's will serve him walking papers. I think the Rooneys were talking with the commish on this and helped throw some insight in punishment. I do think the commish will lower to 3 or 4 games also since Ben has kept his mouth shut and his ignorance and obnoxiousness in check.

steeldawg
07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
what actions were people getting sick of?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Ben was never convicted of assault, just like Michael Jackson was never convicted of molesting youths. But, the difference is that Ben has an employer (The NFL) and MJ didnt, so Ben's employer let him know that they dont like his conduct and suspended him...but know that at the end of the day he is an entertainer and he is of more value on the field than off. For that he will only get 4 games.

If he screws up again, he will get more or be cut from the Steelers, because the Shield of the NFL is bigger than Ben Roethlisberger.

zulater
07-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Ben was never convicted of assault, just like Michael Jackson was never convicted of molesting youths. But, the difference is that Ben has an employer (The NFL) and MJ didnt, so Ben's employer let him know that they dont like his conduct and suspended him...but know that at the end of the day he is an entertainer and he is of more value on the field than off. For that he will only get 4 games.

If he screws up again, he will get more or be cut from the Steelers, because the Shield of the NFL is bigger than Ben Roethlisberger.

Awful analogy comaparing Ben to MJ. :upyours:

There's two humongous differences that come right to mind, M.J. was actually charged, arrested, and tried for a crime. Ben wasn't. And Jackson paid his accusers tens of millions of dollars in hush money. To the best of my knowledge and anyone else's Ben hasn't payed either of his accusers a dime, and in fact has countersued the one accuser who has sought restitution.

Better luck next time. :bs:

Butch
07-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Yep that's exactly what I thought too. It seems to me that go to hell godell is swayed by the media and their representation of the facts as they so choose to see it.

steelpride12
07-04-2010, 08:20 AM
6 games for never actually being convicted is outrageous right off the bat, and with Ben being well mannered and in control so far after the incedent his suspension should be reduced.

X-Terminator
07-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Even though it was incredibly poorly written, finally, a sensible and reasonable article from Bleacher Report. He made the case that I have been making ever since all of this went down. The suspension was WAY too harsh for someone who was not charged with a crime, plain and simple. I would have lived with 2 games, but I don't think the league should have suspended him at all and instead left it up to the Rooneys to determine his fate. And by handing down that suspension, Goodell has painted himself into a corner where every single player who simply gets accused of a crime is now subject to a stiff suspension. He's already said Young will not be suspended, and if he doesn't suspend Robaire Smith, Shaun Rogers or especially Cedric Benson and Mike Vick, then the little credibility he had left will have gone right out the window.

Killer
07-04-2010, 09:46 AM
With all the assaults, gun busts and arrests going on The Rooneys should be on the phone every day telling Goodell to drop the suspension to 1 game.

They're pissing on the shield!!

steeldawg
07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
this makes no sense ben was never arrested or indicted for anything jackson was. So why dont we stick to the facts.

cold-hard-steel
07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Back to this same old crap again? I thought this topic was worn inside out. I don't know anything more that could possibly be added to this whole ordeal . It's been sliced,diced,chopped,pureed,blended,mixed,stirred, and now it's back again.Reallity is ,it has happened. Past is passed now. Wish it could be left alone.

HAPPY 4th everyone !

Psycho Ward 86
07-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Reasons why he won't: He plays for the steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Awful analogy comaparing Ben to MJ. :upyours:

There's two humongous differences that come right to mind, M.J. was actually charged, arrested, and tried for a crime. Ben wasn't. And Jackson paid his accusers tens of millions of dollars in hush money. To the best of my knowledge and anyone else's Ben hasn't payed either of his accusers a dime, and in fact has countersued the one accuser who has sought restitution.

Better luck next time. :bs:
MJ was charged on 9 counts of child molestation and accused of a few others. He apparantly paid off the family and the charges were dropped.

Ben has been charged in separate incidents that the criminal charges were dropped. Who knows if his people paid off the accuser to make it go away. More likely there were no witnesses in the women's bathroom that could testify to consent or not and that is why the DA said he knew the case couldnt be prosecuted successfully.

If you think its just bad luck or coincidence that Ben has gotten into trouble multiple times, been suspended by the NFL and dangled as trade bait by the Rooney's on draft day........you are looking thru B&G colored glasses, not as an objective human being.

steeldawg
07-04-2010, 06:56 PM
MJ was charged on 9 counts of child molestation and accused of a few others. He apparantly paid off the family and the charges were dropped.

Ben has been charged in separate incidents that the criminal charges were dropped. Who knows if his people paid off the accuser to make it go away. More likely there were no witnesses in the women's bathroom that could testify to consent or not and that is why the DA said he knew the case couldnt be prosecuted successfully.

If you think its just bad luck or coincidence that Ben has gotten into trouble multiple times, been suspended by the NFL and dangled as trade bait by the Rooney's on draft day........you are looking thru B&G colored glasses, not as an objective human being.

Wrong again Ben has never been charged with anything, And your a fool if you think the ben trade rumors were nothing more than a pr move. And it wasnt only a matter of no witnesses there was no evidence of rape or dna and nothing to support the girls story. Ben has never been charged or even arrested. And for you to just make an assumption that hes guilty and everyone just got paid off , i guess is it what you call looking at it as an objective human being

Killer
07-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Ben has been charged in separate incidents that the criminal charges were dropped. .

Total, complete, fucking bullshit.

Ben has NEVER been charged with anything.

zulater
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM

Tru dat!

zulater
07-04-2010, 07:29 PM
To the assertion that Ben bought his way out of the case in Georgia. If so you can bet your last dollar that it was the accuser's side that reached out to Ben's legal team looking for a payoff. How do I know this? Because if Ben's side had tried to make an accomadation out of court with criminal charges possibly pending they could have been brought up on felony witness tampering charges. :nono: His lawyers are way too smart for that.
There's been no settlement in either case. People who assume so are full of shit and don't know how the proccess works. :ranger:

Also if Ben had been guilty of a crime his lawyer would have plead him out to a lesser charge, that's what he did with Ray Ray. With Ben there was no need to because a crime wasn't commited and charges weren't pending.

Lastly. Two seperate incidents, must be a link right? Yep, but not what his doubters think. Because of the first case a friend of the second accuser labeled Ben a rapist before anything happened that night in Ga.. As a result there was a predisposition by the friend who drove the charges to label Ben such again when her friend temporarily dissapeared with Ben. When the friend reemerged rather than admit that she acted the part of the drunken hussy, she gladly accepted the hat of the victim that her friends were handing her.

steelerdude15
07-04-2010, 08:51 PM
This was a very interesting article to read and I'm glad it was brought to our attention. I still believe that Ben is innocent and will. I also believe that the punishment was too much, but it has had it's good parts. It seems it has straightened him out and that's a great. Maybe throwing it in his face by "trying to trade him" on the eve of draft day helped him see it clearly. He seemed to be slimmer at practice too. Now, six games too much, four games at the max. I wouldn't have suspended him on the fact that he wasn't arrested and there wasn't evidence to hurt him. I hope that he has straightened out for the best.

TatarMongol
07-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd say 6-4 games is pretty well suits 4 Ben. It is not because of what he did 2 that girl or didn't do, he made NFL look bad & worse he made the Steelers & the Rooneys look bad. I hope he learns & become better person. I don't care about the other guys that were mentioned in this article, I care about Ben mostly cuz he plays 4 my team.

Shea
07-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Reasons why he won't: He plays for the steelers.

Why would the commissioner of the most popular franchise in the NFL have a bias against that team??

Think about it ...

Killer
07-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Ben has been charged in separate incidents that the criminal charges were dropped.

Tru dat!

Can I get an amen?

Ben is no Vick

http://www.verysmartbrothas.com/images/vickleap.jpg

SirHulka
07-05-2010, 01:54 AM
His problem has never been during the season. It's the off-season where he (like so many other players) gets into trouble. The one thing that troubles me is that in all his press conferences, he has never mentioned, or acknowledged in any way, what happened in Georgia. It almost seems (to me, at least) that he's trying to pretend it never happened. That's a big red flag. But I do expect the suspension to be reduced, unless he does something really stupid in the mean time. His problem is going to be NEXT off-season.

steeldawg
07-05-2010, 05:31 AM
I'd say 6-4 games is pretty well suits 4 Ben. It is not because of what he did 2 that girl or didn't do, he made NFL look bad & worse he made the Steelers & the Rooneys look bad. I hope he learns & become better person. I don't care about the other guys that were mentioned in this article, I care about Ben mostly cuz he plays 4 my team.

I will pose the question again. If you remove the alleged assualt from the equation then what was he suspended for? You say it wasnt for the assualt but the negative attention the league recieved, but isnt the alleged asualt the reason there was negative attention.

Butch
07-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Can I get an amen?

Ben is no Vick

http://www.verysmartbrothas.com/images/vickleap.jpg

AMEN!!!

Butch
07-05-2010, 06:48 AM

Yeah being alleged of sexually assaulting someone is a real black eye on the NFL when you compare it to the whole burning of the video tapes and subsequent cover up of Spygate, lest we forget. They need to make a movie and call it all the Commissioner's men.

Kittyfish
07-05-2010, 07:47 AM
You know, I am willing to believe that Ben might not be a particularly good guy, as I did before all this went down. I can understand how his head might have gotten too big for the doorway - he had a TREMENDOUS amount of success, in a very short time, and that would probably affect any of us in a similar manner. I can see how he might be arrogant and entitiled and snotty. But I will never believe Ben did anything....evil, for lack of a better word. Not particularly nice, no, not very thoughtful, no, not smart at all any way you look at it. But not evil. Let's not forget all the dirt and accusations flung about recently were from the police statement given by the alleged victim - the drunken girl whose story wasn't credible enough to warrent charges against Ben in the first place. She may had said she wanted to drop the matter, but she never had a case to begin with! And we have yet to hear Ben's version of what happened, and probalby never will. All we are getting is one side of this mess and of course everybody is willing to jump on that and believe this drunken girl's word as Gospel.

Back on topic - I was expecting maybe a two game suspension and was shocked the 4-6 came down. But maybe this is what was needed to bring Ben down to earth before anything really bad, or at least worse, happened.

SirHulka
07-05-2010, 07:48 AM
It's not just one incident. There is that notorious picture of him with his "Drink like a champion" shirt, looking buzzed, plus the charges in Nevada, plus he supposedly had a gun pulled on him by a jealous boyfriend of a girl he was hitting on, which is why he has bodyguards. (I honestly can't verify that last statement, but I have seen it posted several times) Once is an incident, twice is a coincidence, three or more times is a pattern. Maybe that's what Goodell is afraid of.

steeldawg
07-05-2010, 04:20 PM
It's not just one incident. There is that notorious picture of him with his "Drink like a champion" shirt, looking buzzed, plus the charges in Nevada, plus he supposedly had a gun pulled on him by a jealous boyfriend of a girl he was hitting on, which is why he has bodyguards. (I honestly can't verify that last statement, but I have seen it posted several times) Once is an incident, twice is a coincidence, three or more times is a pattern. Maybe that's what Goodell is afraid of.

Once again there are not charges pending in nevada. Its not illegal to drink or wear a drink like a champion shirt. If your grounds for ben being suspended is that he wears a drink like a champion shirt and gets buzzed you are crazy. And answer me the question , why is vince young not suspended , why is leroy hill not suspended, cedric benson, vincent jackson gets 3 games for 2 felony dui's in as many years and the players association is going to appeal the suspension. And I have to listen to people try and justify a 6 games suspension for a guy who has never even been arrested.

Killer
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
screw Goodell - you can't legislate morality.

TatarMongol
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I will pose the question again. If you remove the alleged assualt from the equation then what was he suspended for? You say it wasnt for the assualt but the negative attention the league recieved, but isnt the alleged asualt the reason there was negative attention.

Yeah being alleged of sexually assaulting someone is a real black eye on the NFL when you compare it to the whole burning of the video tapes and subsequent cover up of Spygate, lest we forget. They need to make a movie and call it all the Commissioner's men.

I might B wrong saying this, but I really don't wanna compare what Ben did 2 all the other team's troubled players. Since when did V lower the standards of the Steelers & start comparing ourselves with them? All I'm saying is that our Ben put himself in a bad position where he didn't need 2 B & made us fans, the Steelers org, & the Rooneys look bad. & 4 that, only 4 that he deserves 2 B punished. Harsher the punishment he'll get it well & become better person. Reason that I'm saying this is, apparently Ben didn't learn a jacksh*t when he get involved with that woman in Colorado 4 the 1st time.

SirHulka
07-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Once again there are not charges pending in nevada. Its not illegal to drink or wear a drink like a champion shirt. If your grounds for ben being suspended is that he wears a drink like a champion shirt and gets buzzed you are crazy.

There are no charges pending in Nevada, but there is a lawsuit. And I didn't say he's being suspended for the shirt. I said that was ONE of several incidents. It seems to me that Goodell is trying to send a message to the players that even a big name can be suspended if he hurts the league's image. and let us not forget that before this suspension came down, he had talks with Rooney. It seems pretty obvious that the Steeler organization agrees with Goodell on this, maybe even suggested the length of the suspension.

In any event, no matter what anyone thinks, the final decision has been made. He's out for 6 games, unless he behaves himself and it's reduced to 4. And everyone thinks that will happen. Fair or not, that's the fact.

steeldawg
07-06-2010, 07:32 AM
There are no charges pending in Nevada, but there is a lawsuit. And I didn't say he's being suspended for the shirt. I said that was ONE of several incidents. It seems to me that Goodell is trying to send a message to the players that even a big name can be suspended if he hurts the league's image. and let us not forget that before this suspension came down, he had talks with Rooney. It seems pretty obvious that the Steeler organization agrees with Goodell on this, maybe even suggested the length of the suspension.

In any event, no matter what anyone thinks, the final decision has been made. He's out for 6 games, unless he behaves himself and it's reduced to 4. And everyone thinks that will happen. Fair or not, that's the fact.

Wearing A shirt that says drink like a champion is not an incident and goodell would have no right to include that in his suspension. I will ask the question again, What specific behavior is Ben suspended for??? The only answer i get to the question is his behavior, that is not an answer. The problem is he was not convicted of a crime and all we know is he was at a bar on his birthday drinking and hitting on girls. I dont see any problem with a young man being in that position, as alot of nfl players are. Also Ben has counter suit in Nevada against Mcnulty , what if ben wins his counter suit in Nevada? Oh and about that message Goodell is trying to send , let me clarify it for you. If your an african american player we will slap you on the wrist and the players association will appeal it, however if your a white player we will throw the book at you because we need prove to the league and the media we are not racist and the players association will do nothing. I know i might take a little heat for this comment but someone has to say it.

Killer
07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
The league is OK with sweeping all the other teams' players problems under the rug.

Woman accuses Colts' Eric Foster of sexual assault in civil suit

Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle Eric Foster is being sued by a hotel employee who claims the player groped her in his hotel room just hours before the National Football League team won the AFC championship.

The lawsuit of the 22-year-old front-desk clerk said Foster confined the woman, exposed himself and had sex with her against her will at the University Place Conference Center & Hotel in Indianapolis, where the team stayed before the game. The Downtown hotel, 850 W. Michigan St., is on the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

The five-page lawsuit said the clerk was dispatched to the room to deliver dental products and then lured inside by Foster under the guise of having a problem with the room that needed to be fixed.

The civil lawsuit filed April 13 in Marion Superior Court comes months after IUPUI campus police investigated her allegation. The Marion County prosecutor's office looked at the investigation's results and declined to press charges.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2010-04-20-eric-foster-allegation_N.htm

----------------

How come you didn't hear about this 24/7?

SirHulka
07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Well, to begin with, not too many 28 year old multi-millionaires hang out at college bars with 18-20 year old girls. And, he did, in fact, break the law. It is illegal to provide alcohol to under-age drinkers, which he did. The fact that he did not get charged has nothing to do with the fact that he did do it. We can rehash this thing until the cows come home, but nothing will change the fact. He got suspended. Why? I don't really know, and no one in here has access to the inside story. All we can speculate about is whether or not it will be reduced. And everyone thinks it will be. Was the suspension fair? Probably not. but where is it written that life is fair? As to the black/white thing, I don't keep track of it. I have enough trouble trying to figure out women.

(in response to Steeldawg)

Killer
07-06-2010, 09:02 AM
The Hypocrisy That Is Roger Goodell and the NFL Player Conduct Policy

The Policy Isn't Universally Applied

Consider the following points:

Since August 8, 2006, there have been 228 Arrests/Citations for NFL players. 16 players have been suspended under the PCP - 7%

49 players have suffered two or more arrests during this time frame

Only 33% of repeat offenders suffered PCP punishment

The Misapplication of Justice

To date, punishment delivered under the PCP follows no precedent. Its application is scant, and when it is applied, the penalties given are erratic. When cases are compared one to another, it is difficult to understand suspensions handed down. Consider the 16 players suspended under the PCP and their associated arrests/citations:

1 Game Suspension - Rocky Bernard (one arrest)

- Arrest - Assault; punched his ex-girlfriend, mother of one of his children, in the forehead with a closed fist, causing her head to strike a glass divider.

1 Game Suspension - Michael Boley (one arrest)

- Arrest - Domestic Abuse; wife had bruises on her upper back after accusing her husband of throwing her into a wall and kitchen cabinet during a dispute

1 Game Suspension - Fabian Washington (one arrest)

- Arrest - Domestic Abuse - physically assaulted his girlfriend (mother of his child)

1 Game Suspension - Brandon Marshall (4 arrests, 10 other offenses)

- 2004 - college - Charged with misdemeanor trespassing, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, assault on a police officer

- 2005 - college - Charged with misdemeanor retail theft

- 2006 - involved in an argument outside a Denver nightclub with patrons; argument is reputed to have led to shooting that took Darrent Williams' life

- 2007 - allegedly fired a gun at his own father outside a bowling alley; father refused to press charges

- 2007 - Atlanta hotel - domestic dispute, struck his fiance with a closed fist; officers noted her bruised face; she refused to press charges

- 2007 - South Florida - fiance filed police charges after a verbal domestic dispute

- 2007 - Arrest; Colorado - domestic violence & false imprisonment

- 2007 - Atlanta - domestic dispute - police find Marshall's fiance with a large cut on her thigh; no charges filed

- 2007 - Atlanta - domestic dispute, Marshall punched fiance's face, then rammed her friend's SUV with his Escalade while trying to flee; no charges filed

- 2007 - Atlanta - domestic dispute, Marshall hit fiance's face and choked her; no charges filed

- 2007 - Arrest; Denver - DUI

- 2008 - San Juan - Marshall hit fiance's face, choked her. Police report filed, no charges

- 2008 - Arrest; Atlanta - 2 police calls in one night; Marshall was cut, Fiance was cut on the face; Marshall threw fiance's belongings out of the 20th floor condo window

- 2009 - Arrest; Atlanta - arrested after an outdoor fight with his new fiance was witnessed by police

1 Game Suspension - Ricky Manning (one arrest)

- Arrest - Felony charge for assaulting a man outside a Denny's in Los Angeles

1 Game Suspension - Larry Johnson (four offenses)

- Charged - Simple assault on a woman in a night cub

- Charged - Domestic abuse assault

- Charged - Simple Assault on a female nightclub patron

- Arrest - disturbing the peace

2 Game Suspension - Fred Evans (two arrests)

- Arrested - Marijuana possession

- Arrested - Battery on a police officer, resisting arrest, trespassing

2 Game Suspension - Michael Vick (two arrests)

- Arrested - misdemeanor trespassing

- Convicted on violating federal laws regarding illegal dog fighting

3 Game Suspension - Marshawn Lynch (two arrests)

- Arrested - automotive hit and run

- Arrested - felony gun charge; police found a loaded gun in his vehicle in CA

4 Game Suspension - Bryant McKinnie (four offenses)

- Charged with obstructing a police officer

- Charged with disorderly conduct

- Charged with indecent/disorderly conduct on the infamous Vikings "Love Boat"

- Arrested - aggravated battery, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest

6 Game Suspension - Ben Roethlisberger (no arrests or citations)

- Faces a civil suit for alleged rape by a Las Vegas woman

- Accused of sexual assault in Georgia; no charges filed by defendant or the District Attorney

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409221-the-hypocrisy-that-is-roger-goodell-and-the-nfl-player-conduct-policy

Evidently the NFL thinks wife-beatings are not such a bad thing.

steeldawg
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=SirHulka;21396]Well, to begin with, not too many 28 year old multi-millionaires hang out at college bars with 18-20 year old girls. And, he did, in fact, break the law. It is illegal to provide alcohol to under-age drinkers, which he did. The fact that he did not get charged has nothing to do with the fact that he did do it. We can rehash this thing until the cows come home, but nothing will change the fact. He got suspended. Why? I don't really know, and no one in here has access to the inside story. All we can speculate about is whether or not it will be reduced. And everyone thinks it will be. Was the suspension fair? Probably not. but where is it written that life is fair? As to the black/white thing, I don't keep track of it. I have enough trouble trying to figure out women.

Wrong he did not provide her with alcohol the bar did because she had a fake ID. Its all in the report. how many 18 -20 yr old millionaires do you know ? are you tracking all of them ? It is the bars responbsiblity to make sure the patrons drinking are of legal age. Its not the responsiblity of bar patrons to I.D. eachother. A bar is a legal establishment wether people who go there are in college or not. Well i would think if you were a fan you would pay attention to what happens with other players because as other teams key players get to return to field at the beginning of the season our starting qb is on the bench. Do I really care if Bens morals are in line with Roger's no i care about winning football games. If ben wants to hang out at college bars he should be able too. if ben wants to wear a drink like a champion shirt he should be able to. If Goodell decides those bevaiors warrant a 6 game suspensionthen so be it, But then other players get arrested commit crimes and walk back on the field with no consequences it bs.

l

steeldawg
07-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Thank you for painting a clear picture Killer

zulater
07-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Well, to begin with, not too many 28 year old multi-millionaires hang out at college bars with 18-20 year old girls.

Actually I think it happens a lot more than you think. You familiar with the Chiefs road trip to San diego? You sure all those girls were 21 or older? Steve McNair was 38, his girlfriend ( and murderer) was 20, no one had any problem with that until he met his fate. There's not damn thing wrong with a 28 year old single man celebarating his birthday at a joint frequented by college girls.

And, he did, in fact, break the law. It is illegal to provide alcohol to under-age drinkers, which he did.

He was in a drinking establishment where it was incumbent upon the management to establish the age of the patrons.

The fact that he did not get charged has nothing to do with the fact that he did do it.

It's a fact that he "did do it?" Bullshit! :upyours:

We can rehash this thing until the cows come home, but nothing will change the fact. He got suspended. Why? I don't really know, and no one in here has access to the inside story.

Uh yeah we do, the GBI report is a matter of public record, the finding within that are what Goodell based Ben's discipline on by his own account. .That he applied an arbirtrary and prejudicial eye slanted against Ben to it is fully evident.

All we can speculate about is whether or not it will be reduced. And everyone thinks it will be. Was the suspension fair? Probably not. but where is it written that life is fair?

Life isn't supposed to be fair, but justice is supposed to be blind, and in Ben's case it clearly wasn't. Goodell gave far too much credence to second day witness accounts by the accuser and her friends. Being as the accuser's second day acount greatly conflicted with her initial statments and she refused to further cooperate with the authorities afterwards her and her sorority sisters statements should have been relegated to nothing more than heresay by any impartial ruling body.

(in response to Steeldawg) [/QUOTE]

vasteeler
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
screw Goodell - you can't legislate morality.

this sums it up.......but unfortunatly goodell can lagislate morality, he just picks and chooses the ones he wants to

BeerMan
07-06-2010, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=zulater;21431]Actually I think it happens a lot more than you think. You familiar with the Chiefs road trip to San diego? You sure all those girls were 21 or older? Steve McNair was 38, his girlfriend ( and murderer) was 20, no one had any problem with that until he met his fate. There's not damn thing wrong with a 28 year old single man celebarating his birthday at a joint frequented by college girls.

What's even better is that some of McNair's fans want to erect a statue of the guy:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/02/steve-mcnair-a-year-later-should-he-have-a-statue/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002&xid=si_nfl

I guess Ben would be looked upon differently if he had been shot and killed by a 20 year old instead of just being accused of rape.

Killer
07-06-2010, 05:38 PM
White QB's should be able to screw any skirts they find.

yea verily

xX-TSK-Xx
07-06-2010, 05:55 PM
White QB's should be able to screw any skirts they find.

yea verily

:lol: Yea

Killer
07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
You're either with us ...or against us.

Ben haters can take a flying leap.

I hath spoken

TatarMongol
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM

SirHulka? Could U tell me why did U choose this name? Cuz I know 1 SirHulka from another site.

SirHulka
07-07-2010, 01:30 AM
SirHulka? Could U tell me why did U choose this name? Cuz I know 1 SirHulka from another site.

My real name is Carl. Years ago, I played a fighter in a long-running D & D game. I couldn't think of a cool fantasy name, so I named my character Hulka after Sgt. Hulka in the movie 'Stripes'. I kind of identify with him, and I always liked Warren Oates (the actor that played the part) Years later, I moved to Texas and joined a live-action role-play group. You create a character, and play the part, only it's with real padded swords and armor instead of dice. Again, I was a fighter named Hulka. I guess Carl and Hulka are really one and the same. Anyway, I became a knight, and eventually the King. So as a knight I was known as Sir Hulka. I have posted on several sites, and always under the name of SirHulka.

I hate pro wrestling, have never watched it, and my name has absolutely nothing to do with Hulk Hogan. (Or the Incredible Hulk, for that matter.)

(One final comment on the suspension. Goodell met with Rooney before he met with Roethlisberger. Rooney came out of the meeting and said he was OK with whatever suspension #7 got. That kind of looks to me like the two of them got together and agreed on the length even before Goodell met the player. In all the instances mentioned about suspensions, I can't remember any other time when the commish actually met an owner face to face before he met the player. I suppose it's even possible that Rooney himself suggested the length.)

KyleJDavison
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
It seems that if a woman is not involved in Goodells eyes it is not bad conduct! OR you have to at least SHOOT YOURSELF!!!!

I may be mistaken, but just humor me for a second.... Weren't both of the players you are referring to former and/or current Steelers? (please note excessive sarcasm)

Wait, it was't because Plax was a former Steeler, it was because he caught the winning TD that ruined the Patriots "perfect" (I mean tainted) season.