PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward quest for 1000 Receptions

Carolina Steelers
11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
He has 981 right now which leaves him 19 short with 6 games to go, he would need an avg of like 3.1 receptions per game. At the beginning of the season i thought this would be a shoe in to achieve this, but as the season as gone on it leaves me in doubt. I know hes been injured but from what I read he was healthy last game according to Coach T and Hines but coach just wanted to go in another direction for that game. I think with Wallace, Brown,Sanders (inj), and even Cothery this may leave Hines on the outside looking in. He made 1 grab on sunday for like 10yds, then I thought they would use him more in redzone but they didnt. Not saying hes done I believe he still has the ability to make some crucial catches for us down the stretch but dont know how much longer he would take on the role of being the 4th option maybe even 5th if you throw Heath in the mix.

tube517
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Yep, he's been relegated down the depth chart.

http://www.wtae.com/r/29780230/detail.html

fansince'76
11-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Yep, he's been relegated down the depth chart.

http://www.wtae.com/r/29780230/detail.html

He's maintaining a great attitude about it, which is refreshing for a WR.

Devilsdancefloor
11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Love hines and the thing about him is when people count him out he comes out to prove them all wrong. this is putting a big chip on his shoulders (maybe a little motivation by coach T?)

steeldevil
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
He'll get it this year. Ya know why? Because if we get up big in the 4th quarter of a game then we will throw bubble screens galore to him. I will about guarantee it.

Devilsdancefloor
11-15-2011, 09:48 PM
He'll get it this year. Ya know why? Because if we get up big in the 4th quarter of a game then we will throw bubble screens galore to him. I will about guarantee it.

problem is this team seems not to be able to handle 14 point leads.... now where did i put my tums...

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2011, 10:05 PM
What a guy. No matter how far we get as a team, i hope he reaches those milestones. He still has one more season with us on his contract right?

Shoes
11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I think Hines should stay a solid back up and continue to sharpen the skills of the young WR's. No need to take anymore hit's like ray-ray put on him for any record.

Galax Steeler
11-16-2011, 04:55 AM
He's maintaining a great attitude about it, which is refreshing for a WR.

He is probably getting tired of taking all those hard hits.

Butch
11-16-2011, 05:36 AM
He is probably getting tired of taking all those hard hits.

I'm not so sure taking hits has anything to do with it from Hines perspective. I'm sure he would take any hits required to get more receptions regardless of the records. He's played physical ball his entire career and he's never been shy about the hits taking and giving.

I honestly think it's more about the Steelers trying to get more plays to the younger guys, but as Psycho Ward 86 said he's still has another year left with us so maybe this will ensure he's coming back next year. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!! Go HINES!!!

Bluecoat96
11-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Good lord.....talk about depth. Hines Ward is the #4???? He'll also be a hell of a lot fresher for the playoffs.

86WARD
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Ward should be 5th ... Would love to see him get it this year, but I don't
Think it's gonna happen...and I don't think he'll be around next year to do it...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I love Hines, but we need to get him his 1000 receptions so that he can retire this year. Really dont need a guy earning a big paycheck as the #4 WR on the team. Sad to watch a HOF caliber guy relegated to #4 on the depth chart.

86WARD
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Gotta agree. My favorite player, but he's pretty much done. If Sanders and Brown weren't here, we may be having a deifferent conversation but with the talent and depth on the Steelers at WR, it's gonna be tough to make a justification to keep him.

Would love to see him get 1000!

ALLD
11-16-2011, 02:42 PM
I remember when Franco was nearing Jim Brown's yardage mark and he retired. He knew he would quickly be surpassed anyway and that he was probably not as good of RB as Brown was either. He was first class all the way (runs out of bounds).

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I remember when Franco was nearing Jim Brown's yardage mark and he retired. He knew he would quickly be surpassed anyway and that he was probably not as good of RB as Brown was either. He was first class all the way (runs out of bounds).

I hope Hines doesnt finish his career in a Seahawks jersey like Franco did.

Moose
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe he figures he'll get the 1000 at the SB !!

Galax Steeler
11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm not so sure taking hits has anything to do with it from Hines perspective. I'm sure he would take any hits required to get more receptions regardless of the records. He's played physical ball his entire career and he's never been shy about the hits taking and giving.

I honestly think it's more about the Steelers trying to get more plays to the younger guys, but as Psycho Ward 86 said he's still has another year left with us so maybe this will ensure he's coming back next year. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!! Go HINES!!!

I have to say I was being sarcastic.LOL Good post though.

steeldevil
11-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Maybe he figures he'll get the 1000 at the SB !!

Well postseason stats don't count towards records, but yeah I hope we play in the SB too.

Carolina Steelers
12-19-2011, 11:39 PM
well looks like hes gonna come up short this season. he's now 9 catches short with 2 games left thats 4.5 catches per game. he has as many fumbles as catches the past 2 games 1. Not sure how many times actually he was on field but 0 targets, i thought he might get 1 or 2 quick bubble screen but none. I cant believe he has fell off this fast just looks funny seeing him on sideline with his hands crossed even at the end they kept redman in slot instead of bringing in ward even in garbage time

steeldevil
12-19-2011, 11:54 PM
I wanted him to get it this year SO bad. But right now, I really don't care...

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2011, 09:17 AM
He is good for at least 6 bubble screens in the next 2 games. Make it a priority that he gets it so he can retire this year with his 1000 catches.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2011, 10:01 AM
It's doable. I hope he gets it.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
at one point in the game last night I said in the Gameday thread they should have just started tossing the ball to Hines...in a game like that, with it pretty much over with 4 mins to play, down 3 TDs, they could have ran bubble screen crap and hooks and curls to Hines to pad those reception numbers. A little "giving" would have been a nice gesture at the end of a horrible 4 turnover game by the QB. Just saying...

steelerdude15
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd love for him to reach the milestone, it would be quite the accomplishment. Lets hope he gets it!

The WH
12-22-2011, 04:53 AM
2 games, 9 cathes. Let's hope Batch has him on Speed Dial these next two weeks. Hopefully this week. Would hate to see him reach 1000 catches and get booed by those fucktards in Cleveland.

Butch
12-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Hines has been a spark plug for this team and it is a shame that he wasn't thrown to even once this past game. I don't think for Hines it's as much about the numbers as it is about what he can do for the team. Several games he has been open and Ben has not thrown to him choosing instead to throw either into coverage or go some other way. As much as I would love to see Hines get 1000 I would much rather see him get a catch that sparks a long drive or converts a third and forever.

Is there anything going on between him and Ben??? I can't help but feel that if the other team took coverage off Hines completely Ben still wouldn't throw him the ball. I am a Ben fan but shame on him for not getting the ball to Hines in games where he could make a big catch!!!

86WARD
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Would love to see him get it at home...but looks like if it will happen, it's gonna be in Cleveland...I just hope the dude gets it.

Devilsdancefloor
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
sadly hines hasnt caught a ball since he fumble. id love to see him get it

The Duke
12-24-2011, 04:02 PM
After today's game the end of the quest is perfectly set up. At Cleveland, against the browns who hate him and fans who despise him

hope the 1000th is a td catch and he cleans his cleats in front of the dawg pound again

7willBheaven
12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Only 5 more to go. I was hoping he'd get 1-2 more in this game today, but oh well. I know its not all about individual records and all but i think it'd be nice for him to get it this year.

Godfather
12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm torn. Part of me wants him to get it next week and be sure.

The other part wants 1000 to come at Heinz Field. Which would mean playing another season. We all want that to happen but we can't be sure.

stillers4me
12-24-2011, 04:21 PM
After today's game the end of the quest is perfectly set up. At Cleveland, against the browns who hate him and fans who despise him

hope the 1000th is a td catch and he cleans his cleats in front of the dawg pound again

That would be awesome!

The WH
12-24-2011, 04:37 PM
is he 4 away?

If he is they need to just make the first series QB to Hines, Run, QB to Hines, QB to Hines, Run, Run, QB to Hines. Just get it out the way as fast as possible.

stillers4me
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Hines says he wants to finish his contract. Who knows how things will play out come training camp....injuries, etc. The only reason Charlie was on the field today was because Lefty was put on IR. I still think Hines has some good football yet to play, and I don't ever see him putting on any other colors but black and gold.

And back to Charlie, if today was his last game for us...I'm so thrilled he did it up good! Congrats and thanks, Charlie, I've always had a soft spot for ya!

oneforthetoe
12-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Next Week: bubble screen after bubble screen after bubble screen.

steelerdude15
12-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Hines says he wants to finish his contract. Who knows how things will play out come training camp....injuries, etc. The only reason Charlie was on the field today was because Lefty was put on IR. I still think Hines has some good football yet to play, and I don't ever see him putting on any other colors but black and gold.

And back to Charlie, if today was his last game for us...I'm so thrilled he did it up good! Congrats and thanks, Charlie, I've always had a soft spot for ya!
If the Steelers win another SB, he'll retire. That's what he said before SB 45.

Chidi29
12-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll be happy no matter how Ward gets his 1000th catch, but I would prefer it not to be on a bubble screen. It would sort of represent the end of his career; his catch coming on an easy elongated run. I hope it comes on a patened Ward play where he finds the soft spot in zone coverage across the middle, takes a shot, and comes up smiling. That is Hines Ward's career in a nutshell.

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2011, 08:55 PM
I'll be happy no matter how Ward gets his 1000th catch, but I would prefer it not to be on a bubble screen. It would sort of represent the end of his career; his catch coming on an easy elongated run. I hope it comes on a patened Ward play where he finds the soft spot in zone coverage across the middle, takes a shot, and comes up smiling. That is Hines Ward's career in a nutshell.

couldnt agree more. And are these 1000 yard catches including the playoffs or just regular season?

zulater
12-24-2011, 08:56 PM
couldnt agree more. And are these 1000 yard catches including the playoffs or just regular season?

Regular season.

zulater
12-24-2011, 08:59 PM
is he 4 away?

If he is they need to just make the first series QB to Hines, Run, QB to Hines, QB to Hines, Run, Run, QB to Hines. Just get it out the way as fast as possible.

We've got to win the game first and foremost. There's a pretty good chance we can earn the division and a bye with a win. So if you can get Hines his catches in a way that helps you win, that's great. But you can't force it. The win is the priority.

86WARD
12-24-2011, 10:00 PM

BINGO. Agree 100%.

PalmerSteel
12-25-2011, 02:12 AM
i m a hoosier. when i was in pittsburgh for a game this year i had the opportunity to buy many shirts of the top steeler stars and up - n comers. i chose ward. you know why? because he defines pittsburgh - now and forever in the future. congrats psycho. you are officially a top 10, if not a top 5, steeler of all time no matter what.

The WH
12-25-2011, 02:38 PM
i m a hoosier. when i was in pittsburgh for a game this year i had the opportunity to buy many shirts of the top steeler stars and up - n comers. i chose ward. you know why? because he defines pittsburgh - now and forever in the future. congrats psycho. you are officially a top 10, if not a top 5, steeler of all time no matter what.

Lambert, Greene, Bettis, Ward, Harris. Top 5 all time.

The WH
12-25-2011, 02:39 PM
We've got to win the game first and foremost. There's a pretty good chance we can earn the division and a bye with a win. So if you can get Hines his catches in a way that helps you win, that's great. But you can't force it. The win is the priority. Getting Hines catches is a way to win, so they should force it Zu.

GBMelBlount
12-25-2011, 04:46 PM
I think Hines will get 1000 this game.

SMR
12-26-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm about 98.1234567% sure that Psycho breaks the 1000 plateau against the Brownies.

86WARD
12-26-2011, 07:09 AM
I think he misses it by two...having said that, I hope he gets it...lol.

SMR
12-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I think he misses it by two...having said that, I hope he gets it...lol.

Awww, don't be so pessimistic you Pancake Artist!

BigNastyDefense
12-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I hope he gets it this Sunday at CBS, I might be there & the look on the faces of the Clowns fans when he hits that milestone against their team in their stadium would be priceless. Though I really wish he would have gotten it Saturday at Heinz Field, because the place would have gone NUTS.

Hines Ward is the definition of a Pittsburgh Steelers. Tough, gritty, hard working, not always pretty but gets the damn job done.

If we win the Super Bowl this year, Ward will retire. He wants to go out on top like The Bus did. It would also be his third ring, not many players can say they have three Super Bowl rings. Even fewer can say they have three without the team having the illegal benefit of cheating.

The WH
12-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Lets not forget about the 1 extra game the Steelers are Guaranteed.

If not against the Browns, him getting a TD in Mile High Stadium, against the Bronco's and Tebowing....would be magical.

oneforthetoe
12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Lets not forget about the 1 extra game the Steelers are Guaranteed.

If not against the Browns, him getting a TD in Mile High Stadium, against the Bronco's and Tebowing....would be magical.

I don't think post season games count towards regular season records WH. I really think it is next week or we risk seeing Hines break the record with another team. uhg.

GoSlash27
12-26-2011, 10:31 AM
I think that 1000th reception matters a lot more to you folks than it does to Hines. He will do whatever is required for a Steelers victory because that's how he's wired. If that win requires him going out there as a decoy or riding the pine, he'll do that. Not only do it, but actively advocate it.
A lot of players claim to not care about individual stats, but he truly doesn't. He'd be terribly disappointed and upset if this team lost to the Browns trying to force him the ball over some silly stat.

Now having said that, Charlie will probably try to hook up with Hines several times during this game simply because he's the steady vet who never needs told what to do. That's a great asset for a backup QB and he tends to be the go-to guy in these situations.

BigNastyDefense
12-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think post season games count towards regular season records WH. I really think it is next week or we risk seeing Hines break the record with another team. uhg.

I don't see him being with another team. If the Steelers were to cut him, and I don't think they do, he'd just retire.

But it's true, postseason stats don't count.

GoSlash27
12-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't see him being with another team. If the Steelers were to cut him, and I don't think they do, he'd just retire.

But it's true, postseason stats don't count.

I concur. Ward won't play for any team but the Steelers. He'll either go into coaching (which he already does now) or broadcasting.

The Duke
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't think post season games count towards regular season records WH. .

no, they don't. But I'd really like to find out his numbers for the playoffs because throughout all his career he's come up big in the post season

he must be high in any playoffs receiving records if they exist

lilyoder6
12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
im going to the game in cle.. so it would be nice to see him get his 1,000th catch... b/c there is not a guarantee that hines will be back nxt yr.. u can say w/e u want, and most of it would prob be true.. but it comes down to the fact, he is owed 4 mill nxt yr, and i dont see him getting paid to be a number 4 wr.. and yes putting sanders in front of him.. so the only way i see him playing nxt yr is if he takes a pay cut..

The WH
12-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think post season games count towards regular season records WH. I really think it is next week or we risk seeing Hines break the record with another team. uhg.Oh ok, my bad, I thought it was an overall record, not a regular season record.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Current count, 995.

5 more catches to go.