PDA

View Full Version : Week 9 Thoughts - Ravens vs Steelers

Chidi29
11-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Bleh. Bleh. And bleh.

First Half

- Kickoff times: 4.02 (-2), 4.09 (2), 4.10 (-8, TB), 3.85 (-4)

No coincdence that as the weather beings to turn, touchbacks are decreasing. Just two in past ten tries, a 20% clip I predicted back in the offseason.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/7330-How-Kickoff-Rule-Change-will-Effect-Steelers

- On Rice's TD that was called back first play of the game. LG Grubbs down blocks Keisel out of the way, Dickson swallows up Clark. Want to bust a big run off against us? Take out Ryan Clark.

- Love Jason Worilds' intro: "Jason Worilds...lunchpail defense".

- McClendon with some snaps at DE on first drive.

- Real nice job by Foote getting off the pulling block by Yanda at the goalline to stuff Rice short of the end zone. Not easy to do in so much heavy traffic.

http://i44.tinypic.com/dyx7a9.png

- Side note. Any idea of who makes the calls at ILB when Foote and Timmons start? My guess is Foote but I can't say for sure. Thoughts?

- Starting o-line: Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

- Really, really need to stop toss plays like we tried on our first series on 3rd and 1 with the fake dive to Redman. They don't work for us.

- Kapinos came in without practicing all week. Kudos to him for a solid output.

- Brown, Allen still starting gunners.

- Keep in mind that Smith burned Gay with William playing "on" coverage with four minutes left in the first quarter. And yet, we tried it again time and time again. Continue to put Gay in crappy matchups. And obviously Clark's screwup on the game-winning TD.

- Harrison's presence verus the run immediately felt, even if it wasn't on the box score. Picture of him blowing up McKinnie, forcing Rice east/west. I love watching Harrison have a QB for a snack but I love watching him play the run even more.

http://i40.tinypic.com/313h9bp.png

- In the following Tuesday presser, Tomlin said that Hoke is healthy and that he simply wanted to dress players at other spots since the DL had gotten healthier. What that also means is that McClendon has gotten the nod over Hoke.

- B-Mac's forced fumble on David Reed very similar to Harrison's FF on Ed Reed. In a game we win 35-7; of course, the Ravens beat us 35-7 earlier this year. Both games came in primetime and we wore the throwbacks in each.

Sports are funny, huh?

Picture of the hit because this is textbook by McFadden.

http://i42.tinypic.com/16lwtcm.png

- How about Ziggy running down a WR screen to Ray Rice? Love it.

- Cotchery in a lot of 1/2 WR sets, getting the nod over Brown and Wallace in some cases. Team calls him "Ward of 6 years ago". Evident based on the playing time in the Bengals game.

- Ben again getting tunnel vision on Cotchery's catch off a tipped pass by McClain, could've easily been picked the way Guyton did Week 8.

- Rice left one-on-one with Harrison on his sack right before halftime. Silly Baltimore.

- Clark's hit on Dickson. Sorry guys, it's illegal. Helmet to helmet contact. Know it wasn't malicious and Clark is just trying to separate player from ball but by rule, it is illegal.

http://i44.tinypic.com/25ssgic.png

Second Half

- INT by Suggs a critical blow. Turnovers in the red zone spell doom. Nice play by Suggs but it still stings.

- Frustrating that Pitta picked up third down after third down. Granted, is tough to stop him because a lot of it came out of Bunch Sets and they used a lot of rubs, picks to free him up.

- Harrison's "torque" and leverage no doubt helped by the fact he got a couple weeks off. His orbital fracture healed but so did his back.

- Foote again awesome veruss the run. Solid tackling, found gaps, played fast, anticipated. All the things you look for in an ILB.

- On Harrison's FF sack. Harrison and Worilds lined up on the closed side and Harrison beat Oher around the edge. And then it appears that Worilds smartly knocks the ball away from a Ravens' OL.

- Even though this pass was ruled incomplete, gotta love the hustle by Pouncey to jump on this ball. Certainly don't have to do that as a lineman, but his awareness and work ethic are second to none.

http://i39.tinypic.com/j9x05t.png

Not the best picture but that's Pouncey.

- TD to Wallace. Obviously wasn't Ben's first read. His first was actually Moore on the angle route we love to run in crucial situations. But that was taken away so Ben slides to his right and extends the play like he always does. Picture showing Moore, middle of your screen, on the angle.

http://i42.tinypic.com/25077g4.png

- Ray Rice craps himself in 3....2.....1.....

http://i43.tinypic.com/vglwlf.png

- Kudos to Kapinos for pinning Baltimore inside their 10 on that final drive. Again, a guy who came in with no pracitce.

- Let's not forget Ike Taylor getting burned one-on-one by Torrey Smith just plays before. I'm sure we haven't forgotten it yet but during the offseason, someone will say how Ike Taylor would've made that play, and I'll be sure to link this thread.

- Picture of the game-winning TD. Not much to add that hasn't been added. Clark needed to get over the top and didn't.

http://i40.tinypic.com/25hlu3d.png

Sacks

- 3rd and Goal, 1:55 left in 2nd. 11. Gilbert beat around egde by Kruger. Foster beat to the inside by McPhee.

Sack Counter (Game)

Marcus Gilbert: .5
Ramon Foster: .5

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 6
Max Starks: 3
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 2.5
Ramon Foster: 2
Chris Kemoeatu: 2
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Marcus Gilbert: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Maurkice Pouncey: 1
Willie Colon: .5
Trai Essex: .5

Documentation

FB: 6
Pony: 2
Empty: 9

tube517
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Love Jason Worilds' intro: "Jason Worilds...lunchpail defense". HOKIES, baby!

zulater
11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
How about Ziggy running down a WR screen to Ray Rice? Love it.

Had we closed the game out, that would have been my unsung play of the game.

Chidi29
11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
How about Ziggy running down a WR screen to Ray Rice? Love it.

Had we closed the game out, that would have been my unsung play of the game.

Have a lot of big men on this team (Hood, Pouncey among others) who have big hearts and never quit. Love it and it is a reflection of the veterans around them and the rock solid coaching staff. Including the line coaches, Kugler and Mitchell.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
That Torrey Smith drop behind Ike Taylor was so reminiscient of Stevie Johnson last year against Buffalo. Maybe forcing dropped catches is one of Ike's intangible skills. Now THAT deserves pro bowl recognition :chuckle:

polamalubeast
11-16-2011, 01:39 PM
It was a heartbreaking loss, but the Steelers could have won this game despite the atrocious game of the game in the 3rd down.

If the Ravens and Steelers meet in the playoffs, I would be confident that the steelers won against the Ravens, even if it's on the road.

zulater
11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I know you can't use injuries as an excuse, but I still really believe losing the AFC's defensive player of the month for October was the difference in the end. Just getting that extra pressure from the other side would have forced Flacco into incompletions. There's no way he would have come close to that sort of 3rd down conversion rate with Woodley in there.

polamalubeast
11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
I know you can't use injuries as an excuse, but I still really believe losing the AFC's defensive player of the month for October was the difference in the end. Just getting that extra pressure from the other side would have forced Flacco into incompletions. There's no way he would have come close to that sort of 3rd down conversion rate with Woodley in there.

The absence of Woodley was huge in this game.

Chidi29
11-16-2011, 01:54 PM

I dunno, having him helps obviously but we got a ton of pressure on Flacco. It's not like he had all day to throw throughout the entire game.

zulater
11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I dunno, having him helps obviously but we got a ton of pressure on Flacco. It's not like he had all day to throw throughout the entire game.

Yeah but Woodley gets difference making pressures and sacks. Just look at the difference in the play of Brady after Woodley went out in that game.

Chidi29
11-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah but Woodley gets difference making pressures and sacks. Just look at the difference in the play of Brady after Woodley went out in that game.

But when I look at the loss, my first thought as to why we lost isn't not getting enough pressure on Flacco. There were a bunch of other reasons.

Psycho Ward 86
11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah but Woodley gets difference making pressures and sacks.

LOL, Harrison only sniffed out a plethora of runs, made 3 sacks, including a sack strip, and numerous hits on Flacco. Now good enough? (But yeah i know what you mean, i think we both can agree that the Ravens are screwed if they face us again, especially if were healthy)

zulater
11-16-2011, 10:13 PM
LOL, Harrison only sniffed out a plethora of runs, made 3 sacks, including a sack strip, and numerous hits on Flacco. Now good enough? (But yeah i know what you mean, i think we both can agree that the Ravens are screwed if they face us again, especially if were healthy)

I wasn't knocking Harrison, I was merely saying that having two dynamic pass rushers is better than only having one. And sorry, I saw how Woodley was able to disrupt Tom Brady's rhythm the week before, and I remain convinced that the Ravens wouldn't have converted 3rd downs nearly as easy if Lamarr had played the game.

zulater
11-18-2011, 07:44 PM

Just doing a little research with the help of NFL rewind.

Watching the New England game, and Woodley's two sacks, Brady has to react to Woodley's pressure at approx 2.50 seconds and gets the sack at 3.8 on his first sack, on his second sack he's in on Brady at 1.67, and has the sack secured at 1.8 seconds.

Fast forward to the Ravens last series. Flacco dropped back to pass 13 times, and didn't have but one dirty pocket in all of those attempts. Among his completions he threw at 4.26, 2.58, 3.42, 3.00, 2.79, and finally 2.51. (td pass)

You really going to try to tell me that Woodley wouldn't have made a difference? Really?!!!

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Just doing a little research with the help of NFL rewind.

Watching the New England game, and Woodley's two sacks, Brady has to react to Woodley's pressure at approx 2.50 seconds and gets the sack at 3.8 on his first sack, on his second sack he's in on Brady at 1.67, and has the sack secured at 1.8 seconds.

Fast forward to the Ravens last series. Flacco dropped back to pass 13 times, and didn't have but one dirty pocket in all of those attempts. Among his completions he threw at 4.26, 2.58, 3.42, 3.00, 2.79, and finally 2.51. (td pass)

You really going to try to tell me that Woodley wouldn't have made a difference? Really?!!!

of course he makes a difference...but your stopwatch hand sucks. "Pressure at approximately 2.50 seconds" and "in on brady 1.67" are not viable stats. 'in on' what does that even mean? And i wouldnt expect any group of pass rushers to close in on Flacco all that effectively on that last drive if 3 out of 6 passes were under 3 seconds...according to your stopwatch.

zulater
11-18-2011, 08:27 PM
of course he makes a difference...but your stopwatch hand sucks. "Pressure at approximately 2.50 seconds" and "in on brady 1.67" are not viable stats. 'in on' what does that even mean? And i wouldnt expect any group of pass rushers to close in on Flacco all that effectively on that last drive if 3 out of 6 passes were under 3 seconds...according to your stopwatch.

My stop watch is fine, I'm either not making my point with proper clarity of your not following with proper comprehension.

What I'm saying is that at 2.5 seconds into the play Brady is forced to react to Woodley's presence, flushes from the pocket backwards, where he's finally caught and sacked by Lamarr at the 3.8 second mark.

On the second sack Brady is flushed at 1.67 seconds and is safely in "56"'s control at 1.8 seconds.

Now as to the Ravens final possession. 13 drop backs by Flacco, only one semi dirty pocket, the other 12 times he delivered his pass unimpeded.

Now the argument some have made to me about Wooldey's absence is that Flacco was getting the ball out quick and that there was adequate pressure on him, thus Lamarr was barely missed.

Well in todays NFL if you allow a qb to deliver a pass flatfooted any time after 2.5 seconds into a play in an obvious passing situation, you're really not doing all that great a job of pressuring him. On no less than 6 of those attempts on that all important last drive Flacco delivered an unstressed pass over 2.5 seconds after the snap, included on these plays was the dropped pass in the end zone, and the winning touchdown.

The Steelers lost in no small part due to their inability to get an effective pass rush on Flacco on that final drive. Period end of story. :coffee:

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Your point is kind of contradictory. The general rule of thumb throughout the year has been you have 3 balls to get the ball out in the NFL or else most times you will be hit or sacked. Woodley would have made a big difference if he was actually healthy, but closing in on Flacco at 3.8 seconds wouldnt have done crap because that ball is long gone out of his hand by that time. He worked the hell out of us with the short passing game. We played less man, more zone which is different from the Patriots game which may or may not have been a bad idea. Who knows, we'll probably get one more shot at them and i think we all feel good about it if it hopefully takes place in our house and with a healthy roster. I love the late bye week.

zulater
11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Your point is kind of contradictory. The general rule of thumb throughout the year has been you have 3 balls to get the ball out in the NFL or else most times you will be hit or sacked. Woodley would have made a big difference if he was actually healthy, but closing in on Flacco at 3.8 seconds wouldnt have done crap because that ball is long gone out of his hand by that time.

It's making him move before he's ready to throw, he flushed Brady from the pocket at 2.5 seconds, that's part of the point you see?

He worked the hell out of us with the short passing game. We played less man, more zone which is different from the Patriots game which may or may not have been a bad idea. Who knows, we'll probably get one more shot at them and i think we all feel good about it if it hopefully takes place in our house and with a healthy roster. I love the late bye week.

If Woodley had been there no way that last drive comes off the same. I'll stand by that. Not that it matters though, what's done is done.

Going foward, offensively this Steelers team once it fully peaks will be better than any Steeler offense in recent memory. I think if we can get relatively healthy, no team in the AFC will beat us if we bring our A game. Woodley's one of the 5 or 6 guys we need though in order to beat the best of the best.

GBMelBlount
11-18-2011, 10:41 PM

Good point.

Two other thoughts.

1. I agree with Zu in spirit that having Woodley IN ADDITION to Harrison could have been lethal for Flacco.

2. My mother told me sniffing your plethora caused blindness. Just sayin.

Edman
11-21-2011, 10:38 AM
All that needs to be said about that game is and I'm going to the bank with this.

If the Steelers see the Ravens a third time, in Pittsburgh or Baltimore. We're ending their season again. In the past I would be worried about them because their Defense is tough, but seeing their Defense entirely neutralized after the Week 1 Debacle gives me a sense of confidence. Unfortunately the Defense let the team down again that night. Baltimore still won fair and square.