PDA

View Full Version : Steelers claim Al Woods, release Morty Ivy

7willBheaven
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
"The Steelers claimed defensive end Al Woods off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks. He will be included on Pittsburgh’s active roster, the team announced today.

Woods spent half of the 2010 season on Pittsburgh’s practice squad before being signed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ active roster. He was cut earlier this year by the Buccaneers and signed to the Seahawks’ active roster. Woods was drafted in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints, but he was released following the 2010 training camp.

Woods will wear No. 65.

To make room for Woods, the Steelers released linebacker Mortty Ivy, who spent the past two weeks on the team’s active roster. Ivy originally entered the league in 2009 as an undrafted rookie free agent and has spent time on the Steelers practice squad as well as the St. Louis Rams, Miami Dolphins and Carolina Panthers practice squads."

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Claim-Al-Woods-Release-Mortty-Ivy/56137aeb-29a6-462f-96bc-ff795959ad55

I think this proves they never wanted to loose the guy back when they had him on the practice squad...kinda like when they lost Doug Worthington too. He's listed as a DE on the roster, as i figured he would be. This makes it so they have 4 DEs they can rotate (if they all dress) and McLendon/Hoke can be used at NT and not have to come in as DEs as much as they have before.

As far as Ivy he should be back on the PS I would assume and they'll release that WR they picked up or maybe that Turner kid. As it looks like Farrior will be back this weekend also.

Thoughts?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2011, 12:34 AM
I liked Woods back when watching LSU for Tyson Jackson, Ciron Black, Herman Johnson, Ricky Jean francois, etc. He was a 5 yr guy due to injury. Maybe he pans out as a reserve de under John Mitchell.

katmandu
11-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Very good pickup but it comes at cost.

Morty Ivy is a Monster that we need to find a way to keep around !!