PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark fined $40K

SteelerEmpire
11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Ouch !

----------------------

Article:

A week after saying he has to be smarter about personal fouls, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark was fined $40,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit Sunday night and he's not happy about it.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7212307/ryan-clark-pittsburgh-steelers-fined-40k-takes-jab-roger-goodell

fansince'76
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
And Lewis got tagged for $20K. Seems fair. :sarcasm:

suitanim
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Goodell is a pigfucking asshat.

LOVE that Tomlin pointed out that it was a "good hit". It was timed up perfectly and did exactly what it was supposed to do, which was knock the ball out.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
You've got to be fucking kidding me!!!! Goodell is such a piece of shit. That wasn't even a helmet to helmet hit! This could very well be my last season of watching the NFL. I'm so tired of this bullshit.

tube517
11-09-2011, 01:27 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/27526_108061919228969_4531_n.jpg

SteelMember
11-09-2011, 01:27 PM
And Lewis got tagged for $20K. Seems fair. :sarcasm:

The fact that Clark just got fined last week makes him a repeat offender. :noidea:

Although, as others have pointed out, I would have rather Ray got the penalty... and Hines get the catch. That was the shit end of the stick for me.

86WARD
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
LMAO...

Of course...

BlastFurnace
11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Honestly, did we expect anything different.

I am all for protecting players, but the day is coming where the NFL game will be completely different and probably no longer enjoyable.

Eventually, the NFL will go the way of the NBA...no-one will care any longer.

steel striker
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
It really does get old seeing when our wr's get hit helmet to helmet and, never getting the call. This is third time in the last year this has happened. Heath Miller last year in Baltimore, Hines Ward against the cheats last year. Now Hines Ward from Ray Lewis on sunday night. Yet it seems we get flagged and fine for hits that seem legal to me.

steeldevil
11-09-2011, 02:42 PM
So the Ravens got the advantage on AND off the field???

I'm not even ever surprised anymore.

suitanim
11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Honestly I'm surprised Killuh Ray was fine at all. I'm not kidding, either....

polamalubeast
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I would love to give a punch in the face of Goodell.

steelreserve
11-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Do they not understand that in football, sometimes people bonk heads? THAT'S WHY THEY WEAR HELMETS, DUH.

BlastFurnace
11-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Honestly I'm surprised Killuh Ray was fine at all. I'm not kidding, either....

Exactly.

XxKnightxX
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
"So it's going to turn into if you're going to fine me $40,000, I might as well put him to sleep for real or I might as well blow his knee out," Clark said.

Good, fucking blow all of their knees out and turn it into a stretcher game. Im gettin sick of this shit man .

O'Malley
11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Good, fucking blow all of their knees out and turn it into a stretcher game. Im gettin sick of this shit man .

Me too!!!!!!

zulater
11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Rarely does coach Mike Tomlin comment on fines levied against Steelers players for hits the NFL deems flagrant. But he did today in defending free safety Ryan Clark.
Tomlin, who seldom speaks to the media on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, issued a statement after Clark was fined $40,000.
"I think the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive," Tomlin said. "I am a proponent of player safety and the league's pursuit of improvement in this area. I, like the vast majority of people in this industry, witness daily the steep price that these young men pay to play this game on so many levels.
"Ryan has my full support if he choses to appeal this in any way."
Clark was fined for his hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson in this past Sunday's 23-20 loss to Baltimore.
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/tomlin-calls-clark-s-fine-excessive/article_3215f636-0b1b-11e1-b53a-001a4bcf6878.html

salamander
11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
You know it's bad when Tomlin speaks out against it.

The Duke
11-09-2011, 06:06 PM
well Tomlin just earned a fine himself

stillers4me
11-09-2011, 06:10 PM
well Tomlin just earned a fine himself

That was my first thought.

Do not question der Kommisioner. http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKvuzUcjJtC1_-ex5Cky1wMlSLFJ_3jce71pHeTPaSHR_uJjGutQ

Count Steeler
11-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Horseshit all around. Players voted for it (except the Steelers) and now they live with it (especially the Steelers).

Don't agree with the fine at all. Bring on the Bengals, Clark is going for the grand prize of $100,000.

Chidi29
11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
If defensive backs Merton Hanks is okay with it, and odds are he was, then I don't see the problem either.

What Clark did was not intentional and malicious, yes, but it was illegal.

stillers4me
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Only in Goodell's New World Order. That's the point. Even the coaches fail to see the problem with it.

BigNastyDefense
11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't see how you can fine a guy because the receiver dropped his head? This is the ENTIRE problem with the rule! The defender has to defy physics at the last fucking second and adjust because the receiver dropped his head and/or pad level which is what caused the helmet to helmet hit! When is the RECEIVER going to be held accountable when he causes the helmet-to-helmet collision?

So it's a $40,000 fine if the receiver causes the helmet-to-helmet hit....but it's just $20,000 if you intentionally blast a receiver helmet-to-helmet.

And since Clark is going to get fined more and more with this bullshit, I say he should just fucking injure offensive players if the hit's going to get him a flag & a fine.

Chidi29
11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Only in Goodell's New World Order. That's the point. Even the coaches fail to see the problem with it.

Then it's the league's fault for voting for the CBA. They agreed to it, now they have to live with it.

*Yes, I realize the Steelers voted against it.

stillers4me
11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
“I can appeal but I appeal to the same person, the same man that’s going to sit across from me. No, he’s not going to sit across from me because I will not sit across from him, unless they handcuff me, which is probably the next step anyway.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Clark-upset-over-fine/681eff27-16e2-44f5-9009-fe51321b7342

I bet he wouldn't piss on him if he was fire either. :heh:

Clark’s teammates, including quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/ben-roethlisberger/54dda34e-9e43-4c57-9397-1143ddced5d6/), agreed that the hit was legal.

“It’s unfortunate,” said Roethlisberger. “You never want to see one of your guys get hit, especially for that much money. I went back and watched it. If you slow it down and watch it, it’s about as picture-perfect of a tackle you can make. His head was down right across the chest and the back of his helmet maybe grazed the bottom of the receiver’s face mask. Someone needs to stand up and do something like De Smith. He is our player guy, stand up and do something for our players.”

Wide receiver Hines Wardhttp://www.steelersuniverse.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/hines-ward/8a520076-6343-42ce-a89f-28a7dc97c67a/) was hit in the game by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, a play that wasn’t penalized and knocked Ward out of the game with a stinger. Roethlisberger was asked if the Steelers receivers get the same treatment as their opponents, although it was later learned Lewis was fined $20,000.

“Who hit Hines?” Roethlisberger sarcastically asked. “I don’t know if there was a fine. Was there a fine anywhere else? Who knows? You have to be careful how much you comment on that stuff.”

:chuckle:

stillers4me
11-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Then it's the league's fault for voting for the CBA. They agreed to it, now they have to live with it.

*Yes, I realize the Steelers voted against it.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Steelers are the only ones with the right to speak out against it since they are the only ones with steel balls in the first place.

Chidi29
11-09-2011, 09:15 PM
What is with our safties being grossly misinformed about how the appeals process works? Troy said the same thing awhile ago.

You do not appeal to Goodell. You appeal to Art Shell and Ted Cotrell, Cotrell being a defensive player/coach. They are paid jointly by the NFL and NFLPA.

And I guess they didn't see the fact an appeal was overturned just last week...

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
If defensive backs Merton Hanks is okay with it, and odds are he was, then I don't see the problem either.

Merton Hanks was a puss when he was a player and he still is. He's nothing but a puppet. Swap him out with an ex player who actually played the game the way that it was meant to be played like Ronnie Lott.

Someone needs to explain EXACTLY what was illegal about Clark's hit. He lead with his SHOULDER and hit him in the CHEST. Absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Simply having their helmets make contact doesn't make it a helmet to helmet hit.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2011, 09:31 PM
It's time for the players to start asking for a "fine bonus" in their contract where if they get fined, it comes out of a bonus fund. I want guys out there playing real football like it's meant to be played, not having to worry about this crap.

steelerdiva
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

I wish to report a crime...the game of football is being killed by Roger Goodell and all of his ilk.

Clark led with his shoulder on that hit, for heaven's sakes!!

Ugh!! This league is getting more wimp-ified every season!

X-Terminator
11-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Absolute horseshit. He didn't launch himself and led with his shoulder, not his head, and nailed Dickson in the chest. As clean a hit as you can get, and one that would be perfectly legal on any other player. They may as well put flags on the receivers and be done with it, because if that hit draws a fine, you may as well make it illegal to hit them at all. Or, as Clark mentioned, go out there and try to knock guys out, since he's going to get fined anyway. Unbelievable what has happened to my 2 favorite sports - hockey and now football. Goodell is doing everything he possibly can to kill the very essence of the sport, and my interest right along with it.

O'Malley
11-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Absolute horseshit. He didn't launch himself and led with his shoulder, not his head, and nailed Dickson in the chest. As clean a hit as you can get, and one that would be perfectly legal on any other player. They may as well put flags on the receivers and be done with it, because if that hit draws a fine, you may as well make it illegal to hit them at all. Or, as Clark mentioned, go out there and try to knock guys out, since he's going to get fined anyway. Unbelievable what has happened to my 2 favorite sports - hockey and now football. Goodell is doing everything he possibly can to kill the very essence of the sport, and my interest right along with it.

X100!!!

NCSteeler
11-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Dickson should have been fined any replay you look at shows his face mask making impact with the rear of clarks helmet. If he appeals he will win. Every commentator I watched today thought that this should NOT have been fined at all.

SteelerEmpire
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I'd like to see the books on where their actually "donating" the proceeds from these fines to. Clark's too tough for football. Never thought I'd ever say that...

Galax Steeler
11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Goodell sucks donkey balls that is all I have to say.

smokin3000gt
11-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Do they not understand that in football, sometimes people bonk heads? THAT'S WHY THEY WEAR HELMETS, DUH.

I don't think it can be explained any simpler then that. The NFL could go back to leather helmets the way they play now.