PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks

SteelerEmpire
11-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I give a shot-out to Mad Max...!

SUGGS: 0 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumbles

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2010/05-May/2010_player_cards/Starks_Max.jpg

PITTSBURGH - If the Steelers needed any proof of the value that Max Starks has brought to the offensive line since rejoining the team, they got it Sunday night.

In the season opener at Baltimore, Terrell Suggs ate the Steelers' line alive. He had three sacks and forced two fumbles as the Ravens forced seven turnovers. Suggs had nowhere near that impact in the rematch.

LINK: http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/starks-keeps-suggs-quiet/article_5ed50888-4bd2-5934-b518-8e7ed1493874.html

BlastFurnace
11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Max is a must sign this offseason.

Please don't bring up Gilbert at LT and Colon at Right Tackle. Gilbert has been much better than Colon...as was Flozell.

Edman
11-08-2011, 12:28 PM
The Ravens Pass Rush was thoroughly neutralized Sunday Night.

If the Steelers still don't feel that Max Starks is the man, then someone in the front office needs to be seriously examined.

For years people said Max Starks we should hold off on signing him, he doesn't command the salary, just a stopgap, he's not that good etc. Well it's time to stop making excuses and give the guy his due. He's a solid Lineman who deserved to be here. Certainly more than Willie Colon and Essex.

polamalubeast
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Please don't bring up Gilbert at LT and Colon at Right Tackle. Gilbert has been much better than Colon...as was Flozell.

I think that you hate Willie "false start 74 offense" Colon!:chuckle:

7willBheaven
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I've ALWAYS supported Max...while he hasnt been a top 5 elite LT...he has been above average and sometimes better. I think it would be smart to re-sign him to a 2-3 year REASONABLE deal...no breaking the bank on him or anything. That would make things interesting with Colon and all and what to do with him...it could force them to try him at OG finally...who knows. Also re-signing Max gives them the eventual option of putting Gilbert at LT and Max at RT. It should be interesting to see how things go the rest of the season and into the off season for sure.

The Duke
11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

agree. I like still like Colon (and would love for him to finally be tried at RG) but Gilbert, other than his constant injuries, has been spectacular. Not Pouncey rookie spectacular, but he's getting it done

reminds me a lot of Marvel Smith right now

GodfatherofSoul
11-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Had Ben not gifted that INT to Thuggs, more people would've recognized that he was shut down most of that game after all his trash talking.

O'Malley
11-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Had Ben not gifted that INT to Thuggs, more people would've recognized that he was shut down most of that game after all his trash talking.

Without the pick he was basically a non-factor... Did anyone else notice they filmed the Ravens sideline all game? It was all about the Ravens not the Steelers... Just an observation.. Max has been the missing link our O-line needed and has solidified the line.

fansince'76
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Pass protection against the Colts vs. pass protection against the Ravens (2nd game): night and day difference. I NEVER want to see J. Scott "protecting" Ben's blindside again.

steelreserve
11-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I always thought Starks was decent, just hated how much we were paying him. We definitely need to bring him back no matter what, though. Having that LT position solidified changed everything for us instantaneously.

Side note: The knock on Starks used to be that he was inconsistent - either lacking motivation or lacking focus. Now he seems to have both in spades. Wonder if being out of the game for a couple months was just the kick in the ass he needed. Whatever the reason, I'm about 10x more a fan of him in this incarnation than I ever was before.

shutdown
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Adams was better than Colon?

Maybe because Colons been on the bench so much that he's easily our best lineman on the field...

BlastFurnace
11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Adams was better than Colon?

Maybe because Colons been on the bench so much that he's easily our best lineman on the field...

Yes as is Gilbert. The Steelers haven't missed Colon at all this seaon, or last season. On the other hand, Starks was sorely missed this season and was missed last season after he was injured.

BlastFurnace
11-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I think that you hate Willie "false start 74 offense" Colon!:chuckle:

I don't hate him, but he, along with William Gay, were two people that I wanted to move on to other teams.

That's a perfect nickname for him by the way.

shutdown
11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Amazing how much is ignored solely on the fact that we're winning.

It would take Colon almost 3 seasons to amount the QB Disruption numbers Adams put up in a single season.

dislocatedday
11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Max is playing at a high level. I had always thought he was decent and middle of the road compared to other LTs before, but so far he seems to be playing well above that average. He has been nothing short of a savior for this team this season...............I just had visions of Jonathon Scott from week 3 at Indy re-appear in my head, and it is probably going to give me nightmares tonight.

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2011, 07:20 PM
i remember in '09 when he completely neutralized eddie DOOMervil (when he had that 17 sack all-pro season) and jared Allen. But then he fell apart against mediocre pass rushers no one knew the names of. So for, he's been pretty sure handed against any level defender. It would be nice if he kept up his consistent play. We'll need it!

zulater
11-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Flozell was the reason that Heath Miller only caught 46 passes last year.(imo) Heath had to stay in and block on virtually every obvious passing down because Flozell didn't have the speed or footwork left to handle edge rushers without help. Gilbert, and even Jonathan Scott are doing a much better job over there in pass protection.

Flozell was a road grader in the running game though. I think part of Mendy's early season struggles were due to Flozell's absense. He really did collapse that side and provide that edge when Mendy went to bounce it outside.

steeldevil
11-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Starks will certainly have a chance to be voted team MVP this year, thats for sure. I remember after the Colts game thinking that Ben may not make it to the end of the season. Boy does that seem like a long time ago... Thank you Max!

Ravens66
11-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Suggs may not have had any sacks or forced fumbles but you had to love the interception !!!

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes as is Gilbert. The Steelers haven't missed Colon at all this seaon, or last season. On the other hand, Starks was sorely missed this season and was missed last season after he was injured.

No and no. Adams was only a better run blocker, and Gilbert isnt anywhere near as good as Colon at anything yet. And with the emerging passing attack we've had the past 3 season, Colon would be and would have been collectively both of them the past 3 seasons as well.

people REALLY forgot how good Colon is.

Craic
11-09-2011, 12:18 AM
No and no. Adams was only a better run blocker, and Gilbert isnt anywhere near as good as Colon at anything yet. And with the emerging passing attack we've had the past 3 season, Colon would be and would have been collectively both of them the past 3 seasons as well.

people REALLY forgot how good Colon is.
Exactly.

Was Colon elite? Nope, not at all. But Colon was pretty dang good at his position. He seldom got beat, and very seldom got bull rushed. I think there is a little selective memory going on here.

There is with Starks as well. I would be somewhat hesitant to sign Starks to a contract because he has proven that he gets complacent. Twice now he has lost his starting position because of complacency, the second even being cut because he couldn't keep his weight down.

The reason he looks good right now, is because of all the weight he lost. Think about this. THAT is the kind of production we COULD HAVE been getting from Starks for 7 years now. So why, are we just getting it this season? And people want to sign him with no questions asked?

fansince'76
11-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I would be somewhat hesitant to sign Starks to a contract because he has proven that he gets complacent. Twice now he has lost his starting position because of complacency, the second even being cut because he couldn't keep his weight down.

The reason he looks good right now, is because of all the weight he lost. Think about this. THAT is the kind of production we COULD HAVE been getting from Starks for 7 years now. So why, are we just getting it this season? And people want to sign him with no questions asked?

Answer: relatively low base salary with very generous performance-based incentives, along with challenging but realistic and reasonable performance targets to meet to earn those incentives. I think Steelreserve hit it on the head that a few months out of the game with no NFL paycheck coming in was just the kick in the pants Starks needed. The guy has shown he can and will work hard when he is motivated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Got to say that Starks is playing the best he ever has in his career since coming back this year. Maybe getting cut was a change of perspective for the guy. I have been critical of him over the years for not being consistent in his technique and focus. The kind of play that has him limit Dwight Freeney one week and got him abused by Jonathan Fanene the following week.

So far he has consistently played well in pass protection and his mobility in the run game is refreshing to see.

86WARD
11-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Props to the front office for bringing him back!!

shutdown
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Colon vs Gilbert is a nice battle to have. I welcome it next season. :)

zulater
11-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Colon vs Gilbert is a nice battle to have. I welcome it next season. :)

Gilbert's starting next season, it's just a matter of whether it's at left or right tackle. I hope they bring back Starks, but it's far from a given imo.

steelerdude15
11-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I've been really impressed with Gilbert, he seems to be getting better every week.

st33lersguy
11-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Starks should be team MVP

Psycho Ward 86
11-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Gilbert's starting next season, it's just a matter of whether it's at left or right tackle. I hope they bring back Starks, but it's far from a given imo.

If Colon recovers reasonably he doesnt have a chance in hell

zulater
11-13-2011, 05:26 AM
If Colon recovers reasonably he doesnt have a chance in hell

Who doesn't? Starks, Gilbert, or Colon?

I like Colon, I think he was our best o-lineman in 2009. But two straight years on the IR leaves me to wonder if the Steelers might just walk away from him? We are talking a non guaranteed contract right?

Texasteel
11-13-2011, 06:19 AM
I like Colon as well, but just don't think we can depend on him any longer.

steel striker
11-13-2011, 06:36 AM
It is pretty amazing that one person makes the difference on the o-line. In know you need have that chemistry up front but, if people can't what a difference Max had made then people are blind as a bat. I hope he stays motivated for next season as well because, we need him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2011, 08:14 AM
It is pretty amazing that one person makes the difference on the o-line. In know you need have that chemistry up front but, if people can't what a difference Max had made then people are blind as a bat. I hope he stays motivated for next season as well because, we need him.

Yes, it is why the Steelers should have drafted a LT a few years ago instead of letting it get to this point. Tony Hills was the last real draft pick at OT before Gilbert this year. I too hope the guy stays motivated, but at least we may have Gilbert as a possible option at LT if he does not.