PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Defense not in the zone in tough loss to Ravens

zulater
11-08-2011, 04:59 AM
On the Steelers: Defense not in the zone in tough loss to Ravens

Did success against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots spoil the Steelers pass defense Sunday night against the Baltimore Ravens?

The Steelers tactics on defense Oct. 30 against Brady were hailed for shutting down one of the great passers in NFL history. The Steelers, who usually play plenty of zone defense in the secondary behind Dick LeBeau's famed fire-zone blitzes, did little of that while beating New England, 25-17, and holding Brady to 198 yards passing.

Instead they played more man-to-man, their cornerbacks coming closer to the line of scrimmage opposite the receivers in what is known as "press" coverage.

And, likely under the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, they played a lot of that same defense against Joe Flacco and the Ravens.

Only this time, Flacco torched them. He completed 28 of 47 passes for 300 yards and he converted 14 of 21 third downs, the most conversions in Ravens history.

Despite his success, the Steelers played that defense right up until the bitter end, with corners playing man-to-man press coverage as Baltimore swept downfield from its 8 and moved in for the kill. Flacco threw deep a number of times against that coverage and a couple of times, his receivers had the coverage beat. Rookie Torrey Smith dropped one of those in the end zone after beating Ike Taylor on a pass from the 37.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11312/1188283-66.stm#ixzz1d6u58U9f

See this is what I don't get, why couldn't we change into our normal zone coverage if what we were doing wasn't working? which clearly it wasn't. :frusty:

suitanim
11-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Not necessary to do 100% of anything, but rather shift in and out for different looks. As I said elsewhere, just because you have a new weapon in the arsenal, that doesn't mean you scrap all your old ones...

stillers4me
11-08-2011, 05:52 AM
I don't get why coaches on both sides of the ball don't adjust to game situations. We always just keep doing what is glaringly obviously not working.

zulater
11-08-2011, 06:13 AM
I don't get why coaches on both sides of the ball don't adjust to game situations. We always just keep doing what is glaringly obviously not working.

Yeah I agree. All you had to do was look at the ease of which the Ravens were converting 3rd downs all game to know that gameplan you brought into this game wasn't working. Obviously you practice a certain way during the week, so maybe it's not always so easy to make in game adjustments. But we've been playing defense for the most part one way for 20 years, you can't tell me you couldn't flip the switch back to our normal way just because we went a couple weeks without practicing it as much? I mean seriously at halftime , LeBeau, Tomlin, someone has to recognize the defense that worked against the Patriots wasn't getting the job tonight, and reach back into the memory banks and remember that we've usually had good success against Flacco with our normal defense. Particularly in Pittsburgh, and change the game plan accordingly.

What a stupid way to lose a game!!!! :frusty:

suitanim
11-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I disagree about Arians. We went to a no-huddle almost the entire second half. How much more can you adjust then going no-huddle and letting your QB call the plays?

zulater
11-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I disagree about Arians. We went to a no-huddle almost the entire second half. How much more can you adjust then going no-huddle and letting your QB call the plays?

Actually I missed that part of the quote from Stillers4me.

While no big fan of Arians, I agree with you, he did nothing wrong in this last game. In fact I would say he's doing an excellent job this season. The offense is progressing week by week. Once we clean up our red zone issues I think we'll be the most complete offense in the league outside of Green Bay.

In fact I'll go so far as to predict that barring any major injuries the Steelers and Packers will meet in a rematch of last years Super Bowl.

suitanim
11-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Actually I missed that part of the quote from Stillers4me.

While no big fan of Arians, I agree with you, he did nothing wrong in this last game. In fact I would say he's doing an excellent job this season. The offense is progressing week by week. Once we clean up our red zone issues I think we'll be the most complete offense in the league outside of Green Bay.

In fact I'll go so far as to predict that barring any major injuries the Steelers and Packers will meet in a rematch of last years Super Bowl.

Wow.

Bold.

I'm not ready for that yet...the piss-like taste of Kordoza-line Flacco passing at will against us is still way too fresh...

But I find the cognitive dissonance of the Arians haters quite comical...even when Ben calls plays that don't work or are poorly executed (and, please, let's not forget that they were being employed against the best defense in the NFL), Bruce STILL gets 100% of the blame.