PDA

View Full Version : Can our offense step to the forefront?

zulater
11-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Our offense did not lose the Ravens game!

But could it have done more to win it?

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not second guessing play calling, gameplanning etc... All I'm trying to do is ask the question is it time to allow the offense to take the lead on this team and set the tone?

Let me give you an example of where it's evident that's not the way our coaches look at this team. We defered on the opening kick! It pissed me off then, and it still pisses me off now! :mad2: The past 4 game's prior to this we've scored a touchdown on the opening possession, so what do we do when we win the coin toss? Defer?!!!! :frusty:

Come on Mike Tomlin, your offense is your best unit, especially with Woodley out. So put them on the field first and maybe instead of playing from behind for the first 55 minutes of the game we go out and assume the lead!

Here's the thing, the offensive line has stabilized, it's no longer a liability. Rashard Mendenhall is playing like a "factor back" now. He's getting everything you can out of every carry. Our receivers are elite. ( we did miss Sanders though) Heath Miller is the best overall tight end in the game. And Ben is our franchise's best player and one of the top 5 players in the league.

Show some confidence in these guys, get them on the field first when you're given the chance, and let them dictate the tempo.

There's no reason this team can't run the table imo and go 13-3, and who knows maybe even still win the division title? But in order to do so, recognize that we've evolved, and that our offense is our best unit.

zulater
11-07-2011, 09:24 AM
So no one besides me is pissed that coming off four consecutive games where we scored a touchdown on our opening possession we defered after winning the coin toss? That perhaps if we had been the first to score that maybe the tenor of the game changes afterwards?

Anyway we've got to get more efficient in the red zone. With the talent we have there's no reason we shouldn't be in the top 5 scoring offense's in the league from here on.

zulater
11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
The Steelers are 19th in points scored. Am I the only one who thinks that is ridiculously low for a team with our offensive firepower?

pepsyman1
11-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm friggin pissed that a team that is number 9 in the league in offensive production can't score friggin POINTS! Almost 400 YARDS! and we still only get 20 points. We are now down to 19th in scoring. It doesn't matter how much we move the ball inside the 20's if we don't score points. 1/4 red zone efficiency last night.

I've got no problem with Tomlin deferring on the kickoff. We usually do well with that, but I would have liked to see them START the game with some no huddle. We hear all about this high power passing game that Arians has us doing and last week Ben looked masterful using the short and medium passes to move down the field. Why not START with that since we are now a passing team?

SteelerEmpire
11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes. My thought's exactly. The offense has the capacity to win games for us now. Just look at Green Bay and how their doing it. Their opponents put up big points on them, but their offense is so much better than their opponents defense that they simply outscore them. We were moving the ball through the air almost at will against the #2 pass D in the league last night ONCE we went to that strategy. I talked with fans of other teams that saw the game last night and they noticed that to. I'm pretty convinced the other 31 teams defenses simply can't stop the Steelers passing attack.

steeldevil
11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Keep this in mind about last night, I feel fairly comfortable in saying that we would have scored at least 10 more points if the defense didn't continually let the Rats convert 3rd downs and let them get into at least FG range on all but 2-3 possessions.

zulater
11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Keep this in mind about last night, I feel fairly comfortable in saying that we would have scored at least 10 more points if the defense didn't continually let the Rats convert 3rd downs and let them get into at least FG range on all but 2-3 possessions.

Fair point.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Our red zone offense is poor. It's been that way all year. March the ball easily all the way down the field and then we can't do anything. Quite a few of the times we don't even take a shot into the end zone.

zulater
11-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Our red zone offense is poor. It's been that way all year. March the ball easily all the way down the field and then we can't do anything. Quite a few of the times we don't even take a shot into the end zone.

I think our offense is playing catch up because of the early season struggles along the line. Now that unit has stabilized I expect we'll soon be more efficient in the red zone. Or at least I hope so!

zulater
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Call me an idiot, but I think when this team get healthy ( probably after the bye) it will be the best team in the AFC. I'll even say that this team is already better than the one that advanced to the Super Bowl last year.

As much as I hate the Ravens and contrary to what I may have said elsewhere in the past 24 hours, the AFC champion will either be us or them. If we can get lucky and stay healthy it should be us though.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I think our offense is playing catch up because of the early season struggles along the line. Now that unit has stabilized I expect we'll soon be more efficient in the red zone. Or at least I hope so!

I certainly hope so. It always seems like we get too conservative when we get into the red zone.

polamalubeast
11-07-2011, 04:10 PM
The Steelers are 19th in points scored. Am I the only one who thinks that is ridiculously low for a team with our offensive firepower?

the reason

only 4 turnovers create for the defense(worst in NFL HISTORY AFTER 9 games)

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
So no one besides me is pissed that coming off four consecutive games where we scored a touchdown on our opening possession we defered after winning the coin toss? That perhaps if we had been the first to score that maybe the tenor of the game changes afterwards?

i think you're the only one who puts that much into the 1st possession of the game...you wouldnt be saying it if we won. hindsight is 20/20

zulater
11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
i think you're the only one who puts that much into the 1st possession of the game...you wouldnt be saying it if we won. hindsight is 20/20

I would have thought most people would believe jumping out to an early lead was important? Generally speaking the earlier you get the ball the sooner you score, no?

Maybe I'm wrong but for the first 50 years of my life it was pretty much a given if you won the toss you would receive the kick unless some outrageous weather conditions were in play. Now it seems as though coaches want to reinvent the wheel and overthink the process.

The Duke
11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I haven't rewatched thee game (nor do i think I will) but the ravens defense was still pretty good. All those stops they got in the redzone against us are pretty much the norm against them. Against the pats it did piss me off though. Against such a pathetic defense having to settle for four field goals was pretty discouraging. Ravens D on the other hand rarely allows much

I saw a lot of weaknesses on the bengals defense yesterday. Arians and Ben better find way to exploit them

the reason

only 4 turnovers create for the defense(worst in NFL HISTORY AFTER 9 games)

turnovers help but that's not the only reason they are 19th in points scored. The defense, other than yesterday, had been getting off the field consistently on 3rd down anyway. Plenty of chances given for our offense

Devilsdancefloor
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
the O looks great from 20 to 20, but then play calling & players mental mistakes (being penalties, picks, fumbles sacks) kill us for some reason. Maybe it is just the mental mistakes kiling the play calling as well :noidea: but i do not think they strike fear in any D at the moment.

GBMelBlount
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Yep. Just curious, Green Bay scored 45 points....what is that? 7 touchdowns and 1 field goal?

I am hoping Ben can get even more in synch with Brown & Sanders by the end of the season and increase our red zone efficiency.

I do think Heinz and Sanders out hurt us...

polamalubeast
11-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Yep. Just curious, Green Bay scored 45 points....what is that? 6 touchdowns and 1 field goal?

The Packers have the better offense, but against SD, two of their six TD was the pick-6

The defense must create turnovers to score many points.... It is very difficult to score many points when you create only four turnovers in nine games.

Since 5 games, the Steelers offense has played very well, with the exception of the 2nd half against the Jaguars.

Yesterday was against the best defense in the NFL and they scored 20 points, despite the fact that Steelers defense was not able to leave the field.(14/21 on 3rd down for the ravens)

polamalubeast
11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
If we take the example of the Chicago Bears in 2006, they scored 425 points, despite they had a mediocre offense.

The turnovers differenciel is the most important stats in the nfl and it's amazing that the Steelers have a 6-3 record despite a differential of -11 in turnovers, which is the worst in the NFL and probably one of the worst differencial in nfl history for a team of 6-3.

steel striker
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah we got to get better in the red zone and, the game agianst the cheats showed that. Plus last night as well missed chances for more points. Still bugs me about that third play call pass to More on the sideline beacuse, they should have something in the middle of the field.

NCSteeler
11-08-2011, 12:53 AM
I couldn't care less about opening KO, but this offense should be consistently hanging 30 points on the board.

polamalubeast
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
2011 DRIVE STATS

The offense is 11th in points per drive....The turnovers are the biggest problem, but because of the game against the Ravens in the week one... They are 23th for the field position that he starts the drive....They are also 6th for the Drive Success Rate.

read more

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats