PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Line...

suitanim
11-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Forget the missed INT chances, the fumbles rolling around that we DIDN'T recover, the dropped passes, the shitty officials (which is not an excuse, rather an element that has to be accounted for and overcome, like snow), and everything else.

With a 4 point lead, and only a couple minutes left, if you allow a very average offense with a mediocre QB to march 92 yards and score a TD YOU DESERVE TO LOSE.

I hate the fucking filthy criminal trailer trash rattards as bad as anyone, but they beat us and they deserved that win.

zulater
11-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Forget the missed INT chances, the fumbles rolling around that we DIDN'T recover, the dropped passes, the shitty officials (which is not an excuse, rather an element that has to be accounted for and overcome, like snow), and everything else.

With a 4 point lead, and only a couple minutes left, if you allow a very average offense with a mediocre QB to march 92 yards and score a TD YOU DESERVE TO LOSE.

I hate the fucking filthy criminal trailer trash rattards as bad as anyone, but they beat us and they deserved that win.

No question. And if we don't tighten down that 3rd down defense by next Sunday we'll be taking a 2 game losing streak and an 0-3 divisional record into the bye.

86WARD
11-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Third down defense will be the downfall of this team. What they did last night is actually embarrassing.

zulater
11-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Third down defense will be the downfall of this team. What they did last night is actually embarrassing.

I wouldn't put it past LeBeau, ( and Tomlin) to get it corrected. I just think we came into last night with a poor defensive game plan, and never got out of it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
bottom line, it was clearly the near turnovers that we couldnt get that killed us, not the final drive. We shouldve had 3 turnovers, starting with that drop by Ryan Clark

polamalubeast
11-07-2011, 04:25 PM
only 4 turnorvers create in 9 games(worst in nfl history)

steeldevil
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Completely agree. I think I said the exact same thing in another thread.

Despite everything that had happened earlier in the game including the horrible defense and the inconsistent refs, all we had to do was stop a mediocre QB from going 92 yards.... and we couldn't.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
so much delusion on this bored.

No one realized that we were one of the best teams in 3rd down stops and one of the best teams in converting 3rd downs before this game? #fail

steelreserve
11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, we fucked up good and proper on that last drive. We also came up short on offense quite a bit (4 trips to the red zone out of our first 6 possessions, only one touchdown). Basically, we had any number of opportunities to take control of the game and not put ourselves in that position, but we didn't. And then we blew our chance at the end as well.

Give the Ravens credit. I don't think we played that terribly, but they made it hard for us and ultimately made the plays when it mattered.

I also don't think I have EVER seen that many deflected passes in one game. On both sides of the ball. But mostly ours, it seemed.

Devilsdancefloor
11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
When we had to punt instead of a FG attempt i looked at my son and said to much time and they will score a TD

O'Malley
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Off game?

NCSteeler
11-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Yeah, we fucked up good and proper on that last drive. We also came up short on offense quite a bit (4 trips to the red zone out of our first 6 possessions, only one touchdown). Basically, we had any number of opportunities to take control of the game and not put ourselves in that position, but we didn't. And then we blew our chance at the end as well.

Give the Ravens credit. I don't think we played that terribly, but they made it hard for us and ultimately made the plays when it mattered.

I also don't think I have EVER seen that many deflected passes in one game. On both sides of the ball. But mostly ours, it seemed.

Surely someone will read this thread and give you a proper "offense is not to blame" thrashing. The D crapped out we all get it, but since the off season many (i being a believer) have talked about how great this offense can be, how much talent they have. But again and again the choke in the red zone, we should be dropping 30 points a game, not struggling to keep up with a team at 20 points.

pepsyman1
11-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Surely someone will read this thread and give you a proper "offense is not to blame" thrashing. The D crapped out we all get it, but since the off season many (i being a believer) have talked about how great this offense can be, how much talent they have. But again and again the choke in the red zone, we should be dropping 30 points a game, not struggling to keep up with a team at 20 points.

Dead straight. We have all heard over the last few years about everything that Arians has wanted to do with a big passing offense...Well, he's got it...BUT we still aren't scoring points and points on the scoreboard is all that matters. 8th rated offense...top 5 QB...19th in scoring.

suitanim
11-08-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm sorry, but if you wake me up first thing Sunday morning and tell me that the Steelers will be up 20-16 with 2:18 and Flacco has one timeout to drive 92 yards in the game that night, I'm assuming Steelers win. Blaming Arians makes almost no sesnse to me since his offense did enough to have a 4 point lead afetr 58 minutes in a game where points (for BOTH teams) were at a premium. The Rats ARE the #1 defense in the league...it's intellectually dishonest to deny or ignore that.

The offense left points on the field, but we were in no-huddle almost the entire second half, and Ben calls plays in the no-huddle. If you're blaming Arians for that loss you might as well go ahead and blame him for Global Warming, too...

fansince'76
11-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Bottom line? The Steelers allowed a QB with a very Kordell Stewart-like QB rating of 76.9 to convert 14 of 21 third downs and march it 92 yards in 2 minutes for the game-winning TD. In Heinz Field, no less. It was quite reminiscent of making a scrub named Bruce Gradkowski (who has done about squat since) look like Joe Montana back in 2009.

suitanim
11-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Bottom line? The Steelers allowed a QB with a very Kordell Stewart-like QB rating of 76.9 to convert 14 of 21 third downs and march it 92 yards in 2 minutes for the game-winning TD. In Heinz Field, no less. It was quite reminiscent of making a scrub named Bruce Gradkowski (who has done about squat since) look like Joe Montana back in 2009.

And the refs and Arians had NOTHING to do with it.

zulater
11-08-2011, 08:54 AM
And the refs and Arians had NOTHING to do with it.

Well there were a couple plays on that drive where it looked an awful lot like James Harrison was being held. Not an excuse mind you, but it seemed as if black and gold was more visible to the zebras than white and purple the other night.

katmandu
11-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Third down defense will be the downfall of this team. What they did last night is actually embarrassing.That's been the biggest weakness in our Defense for the last several years.

I get really, really tired of seeing other teams dinking and donking short passes over and over and over and over.... It's gotten REAL old...

The completion rate (opposing QBs) for short passes has got to be abnormally huge against our D.

suitanim
11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Well there were a couple plays on that drive where it looked an awful lot like James Harrison was being held. Not an excuse mind you, but it seemed as if black and gold was more visible to the zebras than white and purple the other night.

Remember the Monday Night game against the Chargers a few years ago? They went as far as giving the Chargers a mulligan on a muffed punt. I STILL don't understand that call.

How about Troy's INT against Peyton that was an INT but wasn't because of "athletic move"?

The refs usually call more against us than for, but I just consider it part of the game now.

GodfatherofSoul
11-08-2011, 09:56 AM

They called the hold on Gay that would've started the game 7-0 and that was a hold they almost never call. Just like Harrison was held on that 1st down scramble by Garrard in the Jags playoff game. After that an another borderline call in that drive (was it PI?), I wouldn't complain about the refs, besides the fact they have no consistency.

steelreserve
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry, but if you wake me up first thing Sunday morning and tell me that the Steelers will be up 20-16 with 2:18 and Flacco has one timeout to drive 92 yards in the game that night, I'm assuming Steelers win. Blaming Arians makes almost no sesnse to me since his offense did enough to have a 4 point lead afetr 58 minutes in a game where points (for BOTH teams) were at a premium. The Rats ARE the #1 defense in the league...it's intellectually dishonest to deny or ignore that.

The offense left points on the field, but we were in no-huddle almost the entire second half, and Ben calls plays in the no-huddle. If you're blaming Arians for that loss you might as well go ahead and blame him for Global Warming, too...

I don't think anyone's blaming Arians. What I AM saying is that the last drive on defense was only part of it. The most glaring part, yes, but only one part. Just like any game, we had plenty of opportunities on offense and defense to not let it come down to that.

I don't think any one player or coach was particularly to blame for that, and we didn't really have a horrible game in any one aspect. Just no one stepped up, and sometimes you need somebody to. In the end, it came down to execution, and Baltimore was just a little bit better than us. So now we're left with poor sportsmanship and pointing out that their city has the highest incidence of the crabs in the nation. It's true, you know; look it up.

suitanim
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't think anyone's blaming Arians. What I AM saying is that the last drive on defense was only part of it. The most glaring part, yes, but only one part. Just like any game, we had plenty of opportunities on offense and defense to not let it come down to that.

I don't think any one player or coach was particularly to blame for that, and we didn't really have a horrible game in any one aspect. Just no one stepped up, and sometimes you need somebody to. In the end, it came down to execution, and Baltimore was just a little bit better than us. So now we're left with poor sportsmanship and pointing out that their city has the highest incidence of the crabs in the nation. It's true, you know; look it up.

Almost a full QUARTER of the homes in Cinci have bedbugs, so it gets no better this week...

Hope the Steelers sleep on the bus!

SteelerEmpire
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
A man-to-man defense is only as strong as it's weakest link (Gay, and throw in a little bit of Taylor).

O'Malley
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM

That's every play and I'm used to it....Non factor he still gets it done..

Dino 6 Rings
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't put it past LeBeau, ( and Tomlin) to get it corrected. I just think we came into last night with a poor defensive game plan, and never got out of it.

I agree. The Lack of pressure on the last drive was killer as well. Harrison should never be required to drop into coverage...if he wants to free lance and back peddle to get an INT and run it back 99 yards, fine, but his standard play should be KILL THE QB, on every single play.

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Good god not this crap again, all great pass rushers get held. The steelers also benefitted from several critical no-calls. Oh yeah, hard to believe that there could have been any more pass interference calls, but Gay and Ike got away with at least 2 or 3 deep. If Chidi looks into, he'll agree.

NCSteeler
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM

Isn't that when we finally scored some points? Not blaming Arians, blaming entire offensive effort in the red zone. Mike said it would be a point of emphasis this year to get better, but I'm not seeing any results. Just for reference the dolphins and texans have as many or more RZ TDs in 3 fewer trips and Carolina has 5 more RZ TDs in the same amount of trips, 3 pretty average or even bad teams.

zulater
11-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Good god not this crap again, all great pass rushers get held. The steelers also benefitted from several critical no-calls. Oh yeah, hard to believe that there could have been any more pass interference calls, but Gay and Ike got away with at least 2 or 3 deep. If Chidi looks into, he'll agree.

No crap, just facts. The Steelers didn't benefit from much that game from the refs. Just look at the amount of penalties called against the Ravens as opposed to the Steelers. :coffee: No excuse, but usually the home team doesn't come out that much on the short end on called penalties.

Butch
11-09-2011, 05:23 AM
I just have to wonder how much different it would have been if we had Woodley and Farrior.

As for the refs they truely sucked for both teams and were very inconsistent. I am once again pissed that they didn't call the helmet to helmet on lewis when he layed out Hines. I think the next time they call a helmet to helmet against a team we play it will be the 1st time they ever called it.

suitanim
11-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Isn't that when we finally scored some points? Not blaming Arians, blaming entire offensive effort in the red zone. Mike said it would be a point of emphasis this year to get better, but I'm not seeing any results. Just for reference the dolphins and texans have as many or more RZ TDs in 3 fewer trips and Carolina has 5 more RZ TDs in the same amount of trips, 3 pretty average or even bad teams.

That's my point. We adjusted, and Arians gave the playcalling responsibilities to Ben. You can no longer scapegoat Arians once he's out of the equation.

As for leaving points on the filed, that is lack of execution. Again.

Edman
11-09-2011, 06:48 AM
You gave up a 92-yard drive to one of the more mediocre QB's in the league after holding him in check to lose the game. The Rats made plays to win, we didn't. Watch Flacco do jack shit for the rest of the year, and we'll look back at this game and keep scratching our heads. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens go to Seattle and lay another Egg next Sunday.

This game reeked of 2009 Raiders all over again when Bruce Gradkowski looked like an all-pro at Heinz Field with the season on the line. What has he done since?

NCSteeler
11-10-2011, 12:50 AM
That's my point. We adjusted, and Arians gave the playcalling responsibilities to Ben. You can no longer scapegoat Arians once he's out of the equation.

I definitely don't fault Arians, but the O bears some blame for the lose. There was a time when we could kill a 4-5 minute clock, but not lately.

suitanim
11-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I rarely second guess, but if I had that series over again and I was the OC, here is what I would have run to get at least one first down.

Play one: Redman and Johnson in the backfield and 2 TE set. Run the ball right up the gut and see what we can get. This is a simple "We know what play we're running, and YOU know what play we're running, and we dare you to stop it".

Play two: 5 wide and Moore in the backfield. Draw play. We passed so much in that game, I hope to catch them thinking that we were going to pass again.

Play three: Same formation as play one (I'm assuming we picked up 5-7 yards on the first to plays). Play action, have Miller only hold his block for a second and release, and hit him in the middle of the field.

Let me tell you what else my series of plays does. In the game, on 2nd down and 13, the Rats called a TO with 2:46 left. Our next play was an 8 yard pass that took 9 seconds off the clock. In my scenario, the clock keeps running, and it will either run for another 40 seconds and take us to the two-minute warning (assuming my running play takes at least 7 seconds), or it forces the Rats to call their LAST timeout. Now they still had a TO on their 92 yard drive that they never needed, but if they did not have that in their pocket, that last drive of theirs would have had to have been different, since they would assume that they would have needed it. If we run down to the 2 minute warning and they protect their TO, then even if my 3rd down play fails, and we end up punting, they get the ball with less than 2 minutes, not more. Even if they use the TO in their drive, I still think it changes the complexion enough that they don't end up scoring a TD against us.

We need to be able to run against 8 in the box to salt wins away. Our inability to do so hurt us quite a bit. Redman obviously is also our best option for that.

Psycho Ward 86
11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Play two: 5 wide and Moore in the backfield. Draw play. We passed so much in that game, I hope to catch them thinking that we were going to pass again.

theres reason why theres always an empty backfield in 5 wide. Ill give you a moment.

Btw, anyone know if we ran no huddle that ENTIRE 2nd to last offensive series?

suitanim
11-11-2011, 05:14 AM
lol...4 wide...whatever...spread 'em out was my point. Run out of a pass formation, pass out of a run formation. Run twice and pass once...it would have eaten JUST enough additional clock (or taken that last timeout away) to maybe win the game...

Steeldude
11-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Arians had NOTHING to do with it

so then arians was calling the plays in the first half. how many points did the steelers score in the 1st and 2nd half? of course you blame only the players and never arians.

HometownGal
11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
so then arians was calling the plays in the first half. how many points did the steelers score in the 1st and 2nd half? of course you blame only the players and never arians.

Don't you know by now that when the Steelers put points on the board, Ben calls all of the plays? :doh: Arians is too busy on the field throwing picks, fumbling the ball and allowing our opponents to march down the field and score.

X-Terminator
11-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Don't you know by now that when the Steelers put points on the board, Ben calls all of the plays? :doh: Arians is too busy on the field throwing picks, fumbling the ball and allowing our opponents to march down the field and score.

Arians is also to blame for climate change, Iran's nuclear program, the asteroid coming within 200,000 miles of snuffing out all life on Earth, Joe Flacco's unibrow and Sidney Crosby's concussion. We need to FYUR HYM NOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!111!!!!!!

Here's the REAL bottom line. For all of the crap the Arians haters spew endlessly and blame him for everything, they rarely give him credit where credit is due or blame the players when they don't execute.

fansince'76
11-12-2011, 01:29 PM
"Joe Flacco's unibrow." LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

polamalubeast
11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
The Steelers play against the best defense in the NFL(ravens)

The problem in this game is that the Steelers defense has stayed too long in the field because of the 3rd down (14/21) and it was not the fault of Lebeau, Arians and Woodley.

Steeldude
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM

didn't you know when the steelers fail on offense it's 100% the fault of the players and never arians'? the players are too busy following well designed plays like hurling 20-yard prayers while in the redzone or trying to make 4th and 2 on a wide sweep. they are also too busy setting up 3rd and long. better yet, running a counter on the last drive to eat up time...lol.

just remember arians can never be part of the blame. now if the OC was someone else then they would share in the blame. in the game against the ravens it was the players' fault for not scoring in the first half. the two TDs they put up in the second half were because of arians only.

i am still in awe as to why the browns let arians go.

Steeldude
11-12-2011, 02:47 PM
and it was not the fault of Lebeau

lebeau shares in the blame also.

Woodley

what is your obsession with woodley? he didn't play. how could he be at fault?

polamalubeast
11-12-2011, 03:09 PM
didn't you know when the steelers fail on offense it's 100% the fault of the players and never arians'? the players are too busy following well designed plays like hurling 20-yard prayers while in the redzone or trying to make 4th and 2 on a wide sweep. they are also too busy setting up 3rd and long. better yet, running a counter on the last drive to eat up time...lol.

just remember arians can never be part of the blame. now if the OC was someone else then they would share in the blame. in the game against the ravens it was the players' fault for not scoring in the first half. the two TDs they put up in the second half were because of arians only.

You're right, it's 100% the fault of Arians.....It's his fault that Sidney Crosby has a concussion.... It's also his fault that Polamalu was injured in 2009.

And the NFL has been idiots to put Dick Lebeau in the HOF.

Without Lebeau and Arians, the Steelers are 9-0.

EDIT::sarcasm::mod:

tube517
11-12-2011, 03:12 PM
The NBA strike is Arians' fault, too. :nono:

X-Terminator
11-12-2011, 03:16 PM
just remember arians can never be part of the blame.

NOT true. Not even close. It's about Arians being given ALL of the blame and ZERO credit.

now if the OC was someone else then they would share in the blame.

And how long have you been a Steelers fan? Do you not remember Ray Sherman, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey and Ken Whisenhunt? How about Joe Walton? Though admittedly Walton was dreadful, but still...there's 5 guys right there who were treated the same or worse than Arians is right now. The OC has rarely been popular among Steelers fans for as long as I can remember. Ron Earhardt is probably the only one I can recall who did not get as much heat as the others I mentioned.

in the game against the ravens it was the players' fault for not scoring in the first half. the two TDs they put up in the second half were because of arians only.

Nice try, but no. Thanks for proving my point off-handedly, BTW. Arians deserves all the blame for the first half and gets no credit for the 2nd half adjustment in the game plan. Got it.

Arians is not the best OC out there. I'd say he's average. The entire point being made is for crying out loud, the man is NOT responsible for everything bad that happens to the offense and is NOT responsible when the defense screws the pooch. When Steelers fans stop blaming him for every damn thing, then maybe we'll all shut up.

Steeldude
11-12-2011, 08:10 PM
NOT true. Not even close. It's about Arians being given ALL of the blame and ZERO credit.

And how long have you been a Steelers fan? Do you not remember Ray Sherman, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey and Ken Whisenhunt? How about Joe Walton? Though admittedly Walton was dreadful, but still...there's 5 guys right there who were treated the same or worse than Arians is right now. The OC has rarely been popular among Steelers fans for as long as I can remember. Ron Earhardt is probably the only one I can recall who did not get as much heat as the others I mentioned.

Nice try, but no. Thanks for proving my point off-handedly, BTW. Arians deserves all the blame for the first half and gets no credit for the 2nd half adjustment in the game plan. Got it.

Arians is not the best OC out there. I'd say he's average. The entire point being made is for crying out loud, the man is NOT responsible for everything bad that happens to the offense and is NOT responsible when the defense screws the pooch. When Steelers fans stop blaming him for every damn thing, then maybe we'll all shut up.

exactly. thank you for making my point. now you need to get that across to the arians' brigade.

Steeldude
11-12-2011, 08:13 PM
You're right, it's 100% the fault of Arians.....It's his fault that Sidney Crosby has a concussion.... It's also his fault that Polamalu was injured in 2009.

And the NFL has been idiots to put Dick Lebeau in the HOF.

Without Lebeau and Arians, the Steelers are 9-0.

why do you feel it's 100% arians' fault? explain. you blame arians for the injuries to crosby and polamalu

why would someone be an idiot for accepting lebeau into the HOF?

polamalubeast
11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
why do you feel it's 100% arians' fault? explain. you blame arians for the injuries to crosby and polamalu

why would someone be an idiot for accepting lebeau into the HOF?

:rolleyes:

Texasteel
11-13-2011, 06:15 AM
exactly. thank you for making my point. now you need to get that across to the arians' brigade.

Actually, this is what most of the so called arians brigade say. What they object to is the anti-arians brigade starting 6 new fire BA threads after every lose. BA does deserve his share of criticism, but when I see a play that works, and the QB just misses the WR, or the WR just drops the pass, or the RB fumbles or trips over his own feet, it does bother me some to hear someone slam Arians for calling the play. Guess I am just unreasonable that way.

suitanim
11-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Dude is the Mark Madden of the board. 98% wrong, but get him posting in your thread and AWAY we go!

tube517
11-13-2011, 10:26 AM
:deadhorse:

Steeldude
11-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Dude is the Mark Madden of the board. 98% wrong, but get him posting in your thread and AWAY we go!

i see you are still at it. just amazing