PDA

View Full Version : Is Our Passing Defense that much Better?

Craic
11-06-2011, 04:23 PM
So I was playing around on a site I found, and came across breakdowns for the passing defense. Here is what I found.

We are 10th in the number of times teams try to throw on us (in total passes per game). That surprised, I thought we'd be higher. Then, I found out we were number 4 in TOP (an average of 9 seconds from being number 2). So it makes sense now. What makes that interesting, is that we are fourth teams not rushing against us. That means 1. our offense is staying on the field (TOP) and 2. when they do get on the field, they are trying to throw the ball on us, but not well.

We are 8th in number of completions per game, which is 18.3.

That means our defense is 8th in disallowing completions, at 57.79. That's not a bad thing at all. This stat is the really telling stat. Our team is stopping the pass.

But how many yards are they getting per pass? Well, we are number 2 in that category, with 9 yards per pass completion. Only Detroit is better, at 8.5.

How many first downs do we allow through the air? We are tied for third, with 9.9 per game. The interesting thing here, is that we are at the bottom of our division. That's right, Cleveland is top with 8.6, Cincinnati is next with 9.3, then Baltimore and Pittsburgh are tied with 9.9. Interestingly, we are only 14th in stopping the first down on the run. Baltimore is 12. However, the two bottom dwellers in this stat... are Cinci and Cleveland.

Now, we are 19th in opponent touchdown percentage through the air. We are also 16th in touchdowns on the ground. These two stats confused me, until I figured that it really meant that teams are trying both methods, because neither one really is effective over the other. We are tied for fifth in opponent rush touchdowns. SO that explains the skewed numbers. Teams abandon the run against us.

Our sacks percentage has rocketed upwards. We are eleventh in sack (per pass attempt, I believe).

We only 10 other teams have the ball thrown on them more than we do.

What does all this mean? I think it means that how, without going out and spending big money, once again our front office and coaches have fixed our defense.

And the biggest stat, last year the Steelers were 17th against fourth quarter scoring. Yeah, our 4th quarter defense kinda sucked last year. This year so far, we are 7th, a 10 position jump. We are also 10th in allowing total 2nd half scoring, with an average of 9 points.

Whatever Lebeau has done to our defense this year, it has worked! Notice how Troy's name isn't being called as much? I think maybe Lebeau was out coaching himself with Troy and now that Troy is playing just a little more traditional safety, we've been able to clamp down on the passing game.

pepsyman1
11-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Great research Preach. I know last year we were allowing well over 60% completion..I think it was actually like 63%, so for us to have brought it down to below 58% this year is HUGE. The last few weeks we've really been looking pretty good against the pass with last week's performance being a masterpiece. I hope Lebeau keeps everyone guessing the rest of the year now that we know we've got that straight up man attack as an available option.

Edman
11-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Tonight will tell a lot about our Defense in general I say.

NCSteeler
11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
LEbeau and the D crapped the bed tonight

pepsyman1
11-06-2011, 11:51 PM

No doubt. I wanted to see them bring the house on the last drive like they did last week and they went back to their normal safe pass rush and still let them march down the field

steelerdude15
11-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Our pass defense didn't do good at all tonight. We still have to get another top notch corner and to be honest, I feel that Ike is letting more balls get by him every game. I know the past two games he's gone against pro bowl WRs, but I'm starting to notice it.

Edman
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
After tonight, Nope.

SteelerEmpire
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Flacco and the Ravens threw for 300 yds tonight. Brady, a much superior passing attack offense, threw for barely over 200... lol

Craic
11-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Flacco and the Ravens threw for 300 yds tonight. Brady, a much superior passing attack offense, threw for barely over 200... lol

I know, figure that one out.

suitanim
11-07-2011, 05:28 AM
What worked against Gaydy didn't work against Fucco. And anyone who says we don't miss Woodley is mentally retarded.

Flacco is average, but looked all world in two games. LeBeau needs to go back to the drawing board against the Rats...

stillers4me
11-07-2011, 05:35 AM
It took multiple rope a dopes for LeBeau to come up with a master game plan to beat Brady. If we are really really lucky, MAYBE he will do the same with our third game against the Rats this year. Gawd..........I hate playing them in the playoffs. My old heart can't take it anymore.

And we really missed LaMarr. James looked fresh but he admitted to being gassed by the end.

suitanim
11-07-2011, 05:38 AM
It took multiple rope a dopes for LeBeau to come up with a master game plan to beat Brady. If we are really really lucky, MAYBE he will do the same with our third game against the Rats this year. Gawd..........I hate playing them in the playoffs. My old heart can't take it anymore.

And we really missed LaMarr. James looked fresh but he admitted to being gassed by the end.

It would be very difficult for them to beat us a third time.

86WARD
11-07-2011, 06:57 AM
No.

zulater
11-07-2011, 06:59 AM
What worked against Gaydy didn't work against Fucco. And anyone who says we don't miss Woodley is mentally retarded.

Flacco is average, but looked all world in two games. LeBeau needs to go back to the drawing board against the Rats...

I know of one person who... uh come to think of it, point made. :heh:

Spike
11-07-2011, 07:37 AM

amen

can't even blame the prevent defense this time - there was no prevent - just blitzing that never got close and man-to-man coverage that got beat

even Dungy said after the game that Lebeau used too much tight man coverage and let them get too many big plays - Steelers never tried to change coverages, just threw the same shit at them play after play after play after play until their legs were gone.

92 yds, TD

that's all she wrote

Godfather
11-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Our D has been statistically dominant the past several years. It just hasn't been so good at protecting a lead.

suitanim
11-07-2011, 08:01 AM
amen

can't even blame the prevent defense this time - there was no prevent - just blitzing that never got close and man-to-man coverage that got beat

even Dungy said after the game that Lebeau used too much tight man coverage and let them get too many big plays - Steelers never tried to change coverages, just threw the same shit at them play after play after play after play until their legs were gone.

92 yds, TD

that's all she wrote

Yeah, it was time to switch in and out of zone, give Fucco some different looks.

Spike
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, it was time to switch in and out of zone, give Fucco some different looks.

Steelers just pissed away the division

they choked it away on defense by giving up a 92 yd TD drive by Flacco with 2 minutes to go - - that is what will be remembered

oneforthetoe
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM

While this doesn't describe the last drive, overall, I'd say it was Rice. We seemed to be committing lot of guys to stop him.